BREAKING: Attorney General Eric Holder to Resign

“Two sources familiar with the decision tell NPR that Holder, 63, intends to leave the Justice Department as soon as his successor is confirmed, a process that could run through 2014 and even into next year. A former U.S. government official says Holder has been increasingly ‘adamant’ about his desire to leave soon for fear he otherwise could be locked in to stay for much of the rest of President Obama’s second term.” Either that or . . .

he knows time’s running out on his stonewalling campaign against the Congressional investigation into ATF Operation Fast & Furious, which will no doubt tie the AG to the extra-legal program, that enabled the sale of some 2000 gun store guns to Mexican drug thugs (two of which a rip crew used to murder U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry). And let’s face it, you can only slow-walk the IRS “investigation” for so long before even the supine mainstream media notices.

In any case, good riddance to the man who famously declared that gun ownership should be treated like smoking. He may have won the war against accountability but gun culture 2.0 puts paid to his civilian disarmament dreams. [h/t Drew A]

comments

1. avatar Jim Barrett says:

My money is that something is about to break that could look very bad for Obama and Holder is being jettisoned to try and save the ship

1. avatar Taylor TX says:

+1 After all the shitstorms and dog n pony shows Holder has put on, something has to be brewing…

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Careful what you wish for.

His replacement *could* be worse.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

It’s tough to imagine more corrupt than Holder.

2. avatar Tom says:

Bill or Hillary Clinton so Obama can put Holder on the Supreme Court

3. avatar Jeremy S says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re looking for distance from him ahead of Nov elections.

…but I’d have to agree that seeing him on the SCOTUS would be absolutely horrific.

4. avatar mdc says:

I agree.

5. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

If Holder got confirmed by the Senate to sit on the Supreme Court it would officially be time for a third party.

2. avatar DisThunder says:

I think you’re spot on. You can feel them circling the wagons. Holder’s gotta take one for the boss, it’s his turn.

1. avatar benny says:

I’ve been waiting for it to be his turn. I’m going to enjoy every moment. He’s had this coming for a long time.

2. avatar OODAloop says:

He is taking one for the boss, but it’s also potentially an “out” for the Justice Department. Just wait for the “it happened with the previous AG and I’m not aware of the information so wait for me to get back to you on that…” coming from the new AG…

3. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“…it’s his turn.”

Too bad his turn was 6 years too late.

3. avatar NotoriousAPP says:

2. avatar former water walker says:

I don’t think we could have a WORSE AG. And why is this t##d NOT in prison?

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Kamala Harris is on the short list.

1. avatar TStew says:

You just made me throw up in my mouth a little…

2. avatar Gene says:

I’m hoping this means coverage under “Executive Privilege” is now ending, not that it would matter much to the spineless Congress. Sgt at Arms for the Senate should have been directed to arrest Holder for Contempt of Congress.

3. avatar Scrubula says:

Good riddance. Pulling the race card when people ask him about his scandals… What a despicable person.

4. avatar dph says:

Good riddance.

5. avatar Mike Crognale says:

I fully expect him to be on Obama’s Pardon list at Christmas. By the same token, if he is pardoned he won’t have any defense against Congressional subpoenas. We shall see.

6. avatar Frank says:

Pinch me, I must be dreaming. Who’s taking his place? Lois Lerner?

7. avatar kyle arola says:

WooHoo! Bust out the beers!
    Better hope the next AG is a bit better….

8. avatar LongPurple says:

Don’t let the door hit you in the azz on the way out.

9. avatar Chase D. says:

I’m glad that racist criminal is being fired its about time. Good riddance…don’t have a nice life.

10. avatar Mike S says:

Feels like something is about to come out. Resigns after six years with only two to go? One of the bodies is about to get fished out of the Patomac, if you will.

11. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Checks calendar…

Nope, it isn’t April 1.

12. avatar USMCVeteran says:

Good bye, pendejo.

13. avatar Bob Wall says:

Either the lecture circuit, or special counsel to Bloomberg…

Or prison. Anywhere, anyway he goes, he’ll always be an enemy of the People.

14. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

I feel like celebrating. Maybe I will have a spoon full of sugar with my Louisiana Community Coffee!

I sure hope the new Senate (God willing!) and the House with more conservatives will not approve another racist and bigot, another Obama sycophant.

15. avatar Defens says:

Maybe he and Janet could have a nice BBQ – oh wait, she’s already done that.

16. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

he is leaving b/c he knows the Senate is lost. . . . and that means real hearings with teeth. I like the “until my successor” provision so that the Senate doesn’t put his replacement thru the ringer in order to get rid of him. Nonetheless, this doesn’t mean much for him as he will still be subject to account for his extra-judicial actions.

BTW – I guess this means no love for Ferguson then, huh?

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

The next A.G. could be a real piece of work, Dr. Diggler…

I *really* want to celebrate, but something is telling me to chill and maintain…

Remember the relief we had when O. beat the HildaBeast for the DNC nomination?

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

We had? Anyone paying attention knew Barry was much worse than Hildebeast. Hannity, Rush and many others exposed this guy. Google Obama quotes and votes. As Rush said “I hope he fails”. Ditto…

2. avatar Pascal says:

Obama has said multiple time he wants amnesty for all the illegal immigrants in the country. He want a guaranteed future voter base for the democrats.

He has stated publically that he is going to do this after mid-terms.

He is getting rid of Holder because holder can no longer keep the lids on the scandals, but more importantly, he is going to nominate a Mexican-American whose sole purpose is to bend the law to allow for amnesty — that is the sole purpose for this move, and nothing else.

17. avatar BobS says:

He’ll be nominated to the federal bench, maybe even SCOTUS, as part of Obama’s legacy. All the more reason the midterm Senate elections are so crucial.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

“He’ll be nominated to the federal bench, maybe even SCOTUS, as part of Obama’s legacy.”

Zero point *ZERO* chance of a SCOTUS confirmation.

1. avatar rlc2 says:

SCOTUS requires 2/3 as per the old rules, correct?
        He could easily be jammed into the DC Circuit under Dirty Harry’s new nuke option of simple majority, but Obama has already packed that court.

No I expect he’s got a very lucrative lobbying job, or partnership at one of the big money firms doing work now, in civil rights. He’s put enough ideologues in the DOJ Civil Rights division to fulfill his “activist AG” legacy he is so proud of, and will need to suck that teat for years to pay his legal bills (hopefully) or burnish his image, when he is repaid for his work for Clinton, for the crook Marc Rich pardon, with the same from Obama.

No, Holder knows where the bodies are buried, including HRCs on Benghazi. Did the FBI finish that investigation yet? Has Congress done anything other than hold him in contempt?

He is scarier than Hoover ever was, and its not over, POTG.

Keep Calm and Carry On.

18. avatar B Bradley says:

It could be worse if Obaminator appoints CA’s current DA Kamala Devi Harris to the position.

1. avatar GS650G says:

He’s probably thinking she would be more fun to have around than Michele.

19. avatar Chip Bennett says:

Good. Maybe now he can go where he belongs: prison.

20. Usually means some one offered the big money job they were looking for.

21. avatar Reyberto Colon says:

Judge Scalia should beef up his security detail. Having this thug on the loose could be bad for his health.

22. avatar CT Resident says:

For ease of viewing here is a link to the text of Eric Holder’s impeachment legislation for ” high crimes and misdemeanors”

1. avatar Red Sox says:

Wow, good read especially article 4 very damning.

2. avatar Royal Tony says:

They left out the time he betrayed Han Solo and the gang to the Empire at Cloud City…

23. avatar rlc2 says:

Yep.

Holder was a “dead man walking” and had already floated his intention to leave awhile back.
    Nothing is done in this Admin, without a plan for the optics, and the progtard agenda, never mind if thats good for the country or citizens, or not.

Keep calm, and Carry On.

24. avatar GS650G says:

Ding Dong as they say.
    His membership in MAIG awaits.

25. avatar DrVino says:

May all the SCOTUS judges remain healthy…..

1. avatar Wood says:

AMEN!

At least until we get a conservative for a president or a senate with any amount integrity. Oh crap….

26. avatar Roll says:

Good riddance, is all I can say. I think if I were to continue the rest of my thoughts, I’d probably be banned from TTAG.

27. avatar Royal Tony says:

Maybe he needs to clear his schedule for Obama to crown him King of New Jersey. Or will he be Duke of Chicago? Either way, I’m not holding my breathe for any indictments here.

28. avatar JW says:

Glad that racist pig will be gone soon, but will not hold out hope that he will ever get any dirt on him with all the crimes he has covered up.

29. avatar benny says:

HA! Buh bye. Thanks for playing Holder.
    I’m counting the days until this man goes to prison. But I do agree with previous comments that something is about to surface that he doesn’t wanna be near. If it spooks Mr “You don’t wanna go there” then It has to be serious.

I’m keeping my eyes open. Along with a celebratory beer. HA!

30. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

I did have a legitimate question.
    If Holder leaves office, does he still get to hide behind the executive privilege which was enacted in the first place? He would then just be an ordinary citizen.

1. avatar Pascal says:

I believe the executive privilege was Obama’s not holders. We would have to wait for Obama to leave, but once that happens, there is no political gain to pursue anything so the whole thing will fade away as well as all the paper trails as part of the transition to the new administration.

I am not lawyer, but that is my best guess.

Well tie me down and call me Shirley.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Do you like movies about Gladiators?

32. avatar FoRealz? says:

Good.

I hope they indict him and a bunch of his flunkies. But, you know the drill, wish in one hand…

33. avatar PeterC says:

Rush Limbaugh today was talking about Al Sharpton visiting the White House to discuss possible replacements for Holder. Yes, THAT Al Freakin’ Sharpton!

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

O M G

34. avatar KMc says:

He had me @ “brain wash”…… Friggin’ idiot.

35. avatar Excedrine says:

Why is he not in prison yet?

36. avatar Bob72 says:

He did not win the war on accountability. That war is still being fought, and it will be for some time.

37. avatar S_J says:

Well, that’s one shitbird down. Let’s see what similar lower lifeforms this administration will dredge up to replace Holder. I’m not sure you could pick worse, but if anything the past 20 years has convinced me that the position of AG is only attractive to authoritarian, Constitution-hating pigs with no respect for rule of law.

38. avatar Sgt Frank says:

There are so many clowns in this administration it’s hard to rejoice when one is about to leave….Now do you think obama is going to appoint someone who is actually qualified? So now holder can go back defending terrorists and causing critical information to get leaked to terrorists overseas. ie: we can listen in on the conversations on their cell phones. ….just friggin brilliant ….how did that get into the New York Times?

39. avatar jimmyjames says:

If they are smart, which they are not, they will wait until after Obummer Is out if office to prosecute, that way a pardon is out of play.

40. avatar DerryM says:

Good riddance! But it probably means something WORSE is in the works, so don’t be too optimistic.

BTW- Apparently, Kamala Harris has sent a letter, or Press Release saying she is NOT interested in Fed AG and wants to stay in California. Just announced on Greta Van Susteren’s Show.

41. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

I have to admit, I was kind of looking forward to waiting in line for hours for the privilege of pissing on Holder’s corpse when he was done, but I guess it’s best for him to go without any (more) bloodshed.

1. avatar FUBO&HRC says:

The line forms to the Right!

42. avatar Gregory says:

Watch out, we could be saying Supreme Court Justice Holder! I am sure if Obama nominates him, the useless RINOS will put up a fake fight for their dog and pony show and then cave, allowing him to be confirmed. This is the M.O. for the republicans. Go ahead, someone tell me if I am wrong.

43. avatar Dave says:

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

44. avatar Javier says:

He hasn’t left fast enough, nor has he answered for his complicity in FAST and Furious.

45. avatar Andy says:

Glad he’s gone , something is coming down the pike that will probably make the dictatorand chief look bad and Holder is the sacrificial lamb , to keep the Repubs off the commie in the White House’s butt . Wonder who Rev. Al will want Obummer to hire to replace Holder ? Be prepared and ready . Keep your powder dry .

46. avatar FUBO&HRC says:

May he eat his gun, quickly and with angry gusto.

PS

“Please use your real name instead of you company name or keyword spam. ”

“you company name”?

47. avatar Roger Cain says:

Holder is nothing but a racist, communist loving, sack-o-crap. This is on AG who should put up on criminal charges.