Question of the Day: What Does Denmark’s Failed Minecraft TNT Ban Tell You About Gun Control?

Americans blow shit up and plant flag in virtual Denmark (courtesy cnn.com)

TTAG reader JT emailed us a link to a CNN story by Jarrett Bellini headlined Apparently This Matters: America invades virtual DenmarkJT summed up the multi-national Minecraft misegos this way: “Virtual Denmark puts a virtual ban on virtual dynamite. Americans find a way to virtually smuggle in virtual dynamite in virtual mining carts and virtually blow up part of virtual Denmark. Americans plant virtual flag in virtual Denmark.” As you might expect, the Danes were not well pleased. What does Denmark’s failed virtual ban on virtual TNT tell you about criminals, terrorists, armed self-defense and gun control?

comments

1. avatar Dark says:

I can’t believe this is real. Just. What?

1. avatar VaqueroJustice says:

That’s the thing, it isn’t real, it’s virtual.

2. avatar michael nieto says:

I suppose this goes under the thought experiment category

3. avatar KingSarc48265 says:

Could just as easily been any other country. Online gaming is nothing but constant dick moves. There are Cracked articles showcasing the best of these.

Oh, and ‘MURICA! Before anyone else.

1. avatar C says:

Yeah, it’s called EVE.

1. avatar TheBear says:

On Eve, dick moves can cost people 10s of thousands of dollars.

Yikes!

4. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

MURI…awww.

5. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

I have seen the face of glory and it is giant floating wool flags. God bless those wonderful people.

On Robert’s point though, I find it interesting that TNT was banned in a world where the dead walk, skeletons assault humans on sight with arrows, giant voracious spiders roam free and (most “interesting” of all) giant green dildo monsters do everything in their power to blow up you, your property, and your friends.

Minecraft is weird.

1. avatar Erik says:

This server was made to 1:1 replicate Denmark and was set to peaceful so it wouldn’t have mobs. They banned TNT (I think just from exploding) but forgot to ban TNT that’s placed into minecarts. Someone figured this out and a group of people went to destroying virtual Denmark. (It’s worth adding that the server was backed up so they just reloaded the fixed Denmark. The only people who really lost anything were the people who destroyed it, and even then they just lost time).

2. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

TNT is commonly banned on build servers so a-holes don’t ruin the landscape. Oddly enough, AMERIKA!

3. avatar Jus Bill says:

That sounds a lot like a review of the MDA Denver Boot Camp.

6. avatar Scrubula says:

This doesn’t really tell me anything.
    I already know criminals use illegal or stolen weapons, so there is no hope of tracing them without the criminal being caught or killed during a crime.

1. avatar theDude says:

…..what?…….wait…. #facepalm

7. avatar Steve says:

Comments make the article better.

8. avatar AdrSkew says:

You can’t stop the signal Mal.

1. avatar MiniMe says:

Everything goes somewhere, and “we” go everywhere. 😉

9. avatar Bigred2989 says:

At least they didn’t flood the area with lava.

1. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

or obsidian

10. avatar danthemann5 says:

So wait…did actual, real-life Denmark ban video game dynamite? Or did someone’s video game pretend Denmark ban video game dynamite? Or did video game Denmark ban real dynamite? If it’s the first one, that’s just sad. If it’s the second one, who cares? If it’s the third one, I have no idea what that even means.

I’m so confused…

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

If you were driving down the road in your canoe, and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes would fit in a garbage truck?

Purple. Because ice cream doesn’t have bones.

1. avatar Dryw says:

Best.Hypothetical.Response.Ever

CTRL-C’d for posterity.

2. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

Goats are like mushrooms. If you shoot a duck, I’m scared of toasters.

3. avatar JoelT says:

So additional details:

The Danish government believed that they could use Minecraft’s unique style of sandbox exploration to do a 1:1 recreation of their country’s landscape to lure in unwitting children and teach them geography. It would be kind of like taking a stroll down the street with google maps, except you aren’t limited in where you can go and what you can interact with. Of course all of this is in Minecraft’s trademark low detail, blocky style. A project of this nature takes an incredible amount of resources to create. The map size alone is somewhere around 1Tb of information, that had to be split up into three separate maps hosted on Danish government servers that can fit up to 70 people each, which can apparently have a waiting list at times. Considering how much went into the project and considering it was meant to be a learning tool, for the children, the Danes didn’t want it to be demolished, so they banned TNT from their servers. Somehow, an American saboteur discovered a way to smuggle it in minecarts. He proceeded to start blowing stuff up, and planting our colors all over the place. I think I also might have read something about oil tanks/derricks being built? From what I understand, the fix wasn’t as simple as a server reset, and volunteers repaired the damage brick by brick.

Keep in mind, I know little about the actual mechanics of Minecraft, the above all came from googling different articles and looking at the original forum posts to learn what happened. As with all media, I could easily be misreporting something I’ve heard, so take it with a grain of salt.

The point being that the government thought it could protect everything it built with a rule, and despite that rule being in place, the very thing they hoped to avoid happened inspite of it. I thought it a humorous metaphor.for gun control.

1. avatar JoelT says:

Correction: Apparently he didn’t put down oil tanks, and they were able to reset the server. No need to rebuild brick by brick.

2. avatar neiowa says:

So like google (or NSA) without all the nasty invasion of privacy.

11. avatar James says:

OH please, /k/ knew about this over 5 months ago.
    in fact….we’re pretty sure we did it.

1. avatar Anne Hiro says:

I believe it was a joint op with /pol/ and probably /b/ maybe /int/. Though I’m sure the Kube was proud of us that day

1. avatar James says:

ALL GLORY TO THE MURDER /k/UBE!!!!

1. avatar AZGarandGuy says:

AVE NEX ALEA

12. avatar Hannibal says:

Nothing.

It says a little bit about American gamers, though.

13. avatar pwrserge says:

PST… Nobody tell them about the open warfare going on in EVE between different European and North American factions… They might have to cry in their beer.

14. avatar Pulatso says:

The internet in microcosm. It will either save us or destroy us, but it will be hilarious regardless.

1. avatar Calvin says:

We’ll be who we’ve always been, but with cooler toys.

15. avatar Cogitans says:

I love the faux indignation about how Americans shouldn’t call our country America.

16. avatar Paco says:

I can’t get back the 20 seconds of my life I spend reading that rediculous piece…..

17. avatar GuyFromV says:

James Brady apparently just died…not to derail things.

1. avatar neiowa says:

As much a pawn (or veg) as Gabby Gifords.

His wife is the one that should have her face a bus.

18. avatar Yellow Devil says:

As a rather interesting or ironic note, as soon as I jumped to the link, I was greeted with a Breaking News: “Former White House press secretary James Brady has died at age 73, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence says.”

19. avatar John says:

This made my day. I don’t know why, but this just made my day.

20. avatar rlc2 says:

Gun control…Denmark….hmmm. What comes to mind when I think of
    Eurostyle Statism, and protecting your family from bad guys.

UN and Danish control of Srebrenica.
    Rolling on their backs over cartoons of an old guy in a turban.

Merika! Fvck yeah!

1. avatar neiowa says:

My kids love this stupid thing. They were showing me the free weapons “mods”. A real arsenal that would make the Danes wet themselves. Everything from Desert Eagle to AKs. (And upscale explosives/who uses dynamite?).

21. avatar Charles says:

Why would we have to smuggle in dynamite when it’s very easily made?
    The only hard part about it is getting the moisture out of the ingredients which really isn’t that hard.
    Heck encyclopedia’s used to actually say what ingredients and how much, % wise.

I this country ever does ban guns completely, that would be the first thing I would expect to happen, someone blowing something up with homemade dynamite or some other explosive.
    Pretty scary stuff really, I’d rather deal with the guns.

22. avatar Alan Longnecker says:

I think the answer to the question at the end of the post, is that gun control is virtually useless.

Happy now?

23. avatar Phil says:

I virtually couldn’t care less…

24. avatar dwb says:

So full of win. Americans will never be European because we instinctively challenge authority. When someone tells us we can’t do something, we run out and prove we can do it.

25. avatar Gina Sharp says:

I find it very revealing that the persons who say we should legalize drugs because ‘prohibition doesn’t work, we need to legalize it to regulate it and make it safer. Criminalizing drugs only turns otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals’ are the first ones who want to ban guns. Wait a minute…I thought prohibition doesn’t work?

26. avatar A samurai says:

“Life finds a way.” – Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park

27. avatar Frank Masotti says:

This is VIRTUALLY insane. The fact that both cnn and denmark are making an issue about a video game is just plan crazy. It also shows how desperate cnn is to make America look evil. A very sad state of affairs.

28. avatar skcaldwell@msn.com says:

I think we need a virtual moment of silence for the horrific loss of virtual Danish property and all the suffering incurred by Danes, both virtual and otherwise, and maybe even shed a few virtual tears.

29. avatar Excedrine says:

Q. “What does Denmark’s failed virtual ban on virtual TNT tell you about criminals, terrorists, armed self-defense and gun control?”

A. I’ll start first with what it doesn’t tell me, and what it doesn’t tell me is anything I don’t already know. People are assholes, and assholes will be assholes regardless of whatever rules are on the books and there is absolutely no way to stop them or even slow them down (except jail time or death).

30. avatar Micah Rubin says:

After reading some of the posts here today, I needed a good laugh. Thanks. Virtual TNT in virtual mine carts… Because ice cream doesn’t have bones… Very funny stuff.

31. avatar Raul Ybarra says:

Actually, it doesn’t say much at all about gun control or armed self-defense. It does same something about slow news cycles. This story is from May.

It pretty much your standard Minecraft prank. If you have a private Minecraft server, you’d better back it up. If it’s a public server, then you take what you get. Finding the glitches and mistakes in a server has become a big part of the fun for players. It’s considered part of the game, basically. If TNT worked, I wonder what would have happened if they tried to bus in cart-fulls of creepers….

And the “terabyte” bit isn’t that big a deal, either. I’ve got 7-1/2 TB online at home, myself. Not counting laptops, tablets removable media (I’m not counting my external drives as removable, as I treat them as either fixed drives or NAS)

Seems Denmark agrees:

“A spokesperson from the Danish GeoData Agency told The Register:

We consider that as a nature of playing Minecraft — elements are broken down and new are being created. Therefore we will not reboot the demonstration of Denmark in Minecraft. But occasionally we will rebuild minor areas if buildings are removed and nothing new is being created.”

32. avatar TheYetti says:

I bought one of those LAPG Murica hats. I will wear it when I get home! oh the lawlz