Who’s Interested in Common Sense Gun Control?

google-trends-logo

Reader Steve Sacco has had some extra time on his hands lately:

While my real work is running in the background and I’m waiting for it to complete, I thought I’d play with Google Trends. Google Trends is a tool which allows you to see search activity over time for certain words and/or phrases. This is the first time I’ve used it. So, let’s ask The Google how much interest there is in “gun control.” According to the antis, this is a burning question being asked by everyone. According to Google, with the exception of a couple of spikes in 2013, I see a distinct downward trend in interest . . .

If I were a politician, I’d run away at flank speed on this topic, which seems to be of interest to few:

afjdeefg

Then, I tossed in one of my all-time pet peeve words/phrases: “commonsense”.   That word annoys me to no end in the same way “homeland” does, but that’s a different story. Anyway, once again, I would imagine that if the people are worried sick about finding “commonsense” solutions, they’d be searching around to see what others are saying about it.

Not surprisingly, and perhaps it’s no exaggeration to say that this is “commonsense”, the only people who seemed interested in “commonsense” are those who live in places like Washington, San Francisco and Boston. When we flip over to “gun control”, even those hotbeds of Mommy State-ism seem otherwise occupied:

gedbeeah

baggeiaf

[ SOURCE ] http://www.google.com/trends/explore#geo=US&q=commonsense,+gun+control&cmpt=q

Anyway, there’s doubtless more fun to be had with this, but I thought I’d pass it along.

comments

1. avatar Jay-El says:

The hell with gun control — what does Google Trends have to say about Kate Upton?

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Google says “upward trend”.

/snicker

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Now that there was really funny … and I think that gets the win for the best comment of the decade.

2. avatar Eric L says:

Funny thing is, the spikes are probably more from people like me who are trying to see what the antis are trying to lie about next

1. avatar The Brotherhood of Steel says:

Yes. I do that as well.

2. avatar TheRequimen says:

Same here. Though I don’t do it anymore…

3. avatar rlc2 says:

Thanks Steve, for the reality check. A good way to end the week.

4. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

Yes, but the mainstream media keeps stirring the pot giving those unfortunate folks that watch the mainstream media, a false and manipulated impression that gun control interest is alive and well, and gun crimes are off the charts. Gun control is tired like an over-played song on the radio. Yes people have short memories, the pain subsides and people move on. As much as the antis hate it and Bloomberg would like to change it, (he will fail) the gun control pendulum has swung the other way and there is NOTHING anyone, even with money coming out their sweat pores can do about it.

5. avatar Excedrine says:

This falls under the “tell me something I don’t know” category. It’s nice to have a concise graphic based on some real, hard data, though. This instead of the fevered dreams, mind-bending delusions, pathological lies, toxic vitriol, and psychological projection of the gun control advocates in the civilian disarmament industrial complex.

6. avatar Bear The Grizzly says:

Disproving the “silent majority” myth and proving the “loud minority” theory all at once, great job!

7. avatar Rusty Chains says:

That must be a conspiracy by those evil Capitalist Dogs. They are only interested in turning a profit without caring about the blood on their hands caused by all those NRA types searching for more efficient ways to kill innocent poor people who only want a fair share of the wealth!

/sarc to off

8. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Not be a debby downer, however, those “trends” can be fudged by persistent searchers. Also there is a ballot measure here in Washington state to try and put, well, a New York style “background check” system in place. Funny thing is, everyone who buys a pistol here is sent through a background check. CCW holders just get it done on the spot instead of waiting.

9. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

I need to do a search for shannon.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

Dirk, she’ll never be as good in person as in your imagination.

Now, c’mon, man! Where’s the link to the pic of her in that two-piece bathing suit?

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

it is a one piece. it is not that flattering (think mom jeans) and well, I don’t know how to upload from my harddrive without well, linking from my harddrive.

1. avatar JohnO says:

I looked up “carnival ride” in the dictionary, and her picture wasn’t in there.

10. avatar Craig says:

Trending “The Truth About Guns” and “Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense” gets you…

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

if only the midget billionaire were really computer savvy, he would see he is pissing away his $$ on Shannon

If you click on “Moms demand action” you get these comments for the stats. . . . so much for their millions of followers. I guess Facebook is racist, sexist, anti-mother if “likes” don’t translate into Google results.

Regional interest

Subregion Metro City

Worldwide > United States

Not enough search volume to show results.

Not enough search volume to show results.

1. avatar rosignol says:

…Huh? I thought Shannon was a publicist or PR type or something like that?

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

She’s a legend in her own mind.

2. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

let’s expand: trending “the truth about guns”, “moms demand action”, “dirk diggler” and “Shannon watts” yields the following

all I can say to Shannon is – I WIN !!!!

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but … So, since I reach TTAG on a regular basis (at least daily) by googling it (never said I understood all these fancy gadgets), am I adding to the numbers for TTAG each time? Is that a good thing?

11. avatar Indiana Tom says:

No Newtowns for awhile.

12. avatar Forrest says:

Hey, I’m all for common sense gun control.

I just don’t think taking guns from law abiding citizens makes common sense. Just like the responsible body armor law that’s being proposed isn’t responsible at all.

Owellianism at it’s finest!

13. avatar BLAMMO says:

Homeland? I thought it was just me. I’ve always hated the term. It’s just so “eastern bloc”.

1. avatar Matt Richardson says:

The term definitely has an ultra-nationalist feel

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

Yup, exactly. It’s also awfully close to “Motherland.” Makes one wonder just who’s writing the script for the defense of the US.

14. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

I find ‘common sense gun control’ a topic of great interest. As in, since gun control makes no sense whatsoever, repeal of existing gun control laws is a matter of common sense.

15. avatar Anonymous says:

Yea? Take a look at the trends for “militarization police”

16. avatar BDub says:

“gun sense” is in a similar plummet, but if you want a real laugh, you should look at what the term “NFA Trust” is doing, hehe.

17. avatar 2hotel9 says:

Looks like the progs dropped the ball there. They pushed a spike and then,,,,, a new season of AGT distracted them. Or perhaps it was Girls! They do seem to get all hot and bothered by watching chubby skanks on cable.

18. To the antis commonsense means no guns. Illegal guns pretty much means stolen. Commonsense tells me that people with stolen guns need to be in jail. Problem solved.

19. I search the term “Gun Control” all the time to see what the Lib-Terds are up to.

20. avatar KOB says:

I as a gun owner and AR owner am definitely a fan of common sense gun control. Who isn’t a fan of something that stems from common sense?

Common sense dictates that magazine capacity legislation, so-called “assault weapons” bans, veritable bans on she’s, silencers, full autos, etc are worthless and don’t accomplish the aim that is ascribed to them to convince groups of easily cowed ignorant voters that it will reduce criminals with guns.

By its very nature, common sense is at odds with the grand majority of a politicians idea of gun control.

21. avatar Rich Grise says:

What do you get for “common sense” when you look it up as two words?