LA Melts Down 5000 Firarms to Build Roads

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 9.51.37 AM

The next time you’re stuck in traffic on an LA freeway, think for a moment about what’s underneath you. That concrete you’re not rolling on could be supported by the remnants of confiscated and turned-in boomsticks. “Nearly 5,000 handguns, rifles and other weapons were destroyed Wednesday as part of the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department’s 21st annual Gun Melt event, authorities said…Interim Los Angeles County Sheriff John Scott and other law enforcement officials were on hand for the annual event at the Gerdau Steel Mill in Rancho Cucamonga, which donates its furnace, equipment and personnel to convert the weapons into steel rebar to be used in construction of freeways and bridges.” There’s apparently no truth to the rumor that . . .

California’s senior senator was on hand for the actual melting process. If she had attended that little gun barbecue, no doubt she’d have danced around the molten firearms like a wild Injun. The flames could be seen for miles. Are you catching our drift? Or are we being too obtuse?

comments

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

I really wish the Los Angeles county LEOs would turn in their weapons to be melted by the steel mill, since the guns are so evil. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Surprised Kommieforication has not run Gerdau steel works out of the state.

2. All gun should be declared a national treasure and it should be a crime for any Government Agency to destroy them.

3. avatar Gyufygy says:

Don’t melt the arms made of fir trees! (Check the title)

1. avatar Aaron says:

or is it the right of Firs to keep and bear arms?

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

I have yet to hear a candidate state their position on arboreal rights. ACLU and NRA, got on that.

2. avatar tmm says:

I once fought me a forest fir … and a shrubbery

4. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

5,000 firearms sounds like a lot until you realize that approximately 33,000 are sold across the country each and every day.

1. avatar Mark says:

5000 in a city with what population of 4 million in the city alone and 17 million in the area, please do not expect me to believe 5000 are a lot of guns

2. avatar Robert W. says:

“Over THREE pieces of rebar were made today from the melted down firearms turned in earlier. Later, The Pope himself will be arriving to perform an exorcism on the newly minted steel to release the thousands of souls that were sacrificed in order to build the deadly instruments from which it was forged.”

1. avatar raptureRaptor says:

Perfect

5. avatar Royal T says:

I was to understand that Senator Feinstein was there melting them with lightning bolts from her fingertips. Thanks for clearing that up.

6. avatar Skyler says:

Did you mean to say “obscure?”

1. avatar chris says:

No, I think he meant “obtuse”. The entire last line was a reference to one of my favorite movies “The Shawshank Redemption”

Yep, just clicked the “wild injun” link.

2. avatar Another Robert says:

You are right though, “obtuse” is not the right word.

7. avatar Scrubula says:

They should probably auction them off… Most of these are broken though. People selling their old crap for a few extra bucks of everyone’s tax money.

8. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

I don’t suppose they made any attempt to see if any of the guns were stolen, and then they made an attempt to return them to their rightful owners, did they?

1. avatar Gunr says:

Do you suppose they checked each and every one to be sure it was unloaded. I’d love it, if one of the larger calibers had a round in it as they were melting it, and it “cooked” off and put a nice round hole in you know who!

1. avatar OakRiver says:

And then she would be a martyr to “gun violence”, is that something we as a community should wish for?

9. avatar Adam Haynes says:

It pains me every time I see an abomination such as this. As gun owners, we try so very hard to always expand our collection with somethimg unique, and sometimes antique. Then what do we see in the media? A bunch of fools crowding around a pile of art -watching it burn- as if it was a public hanging.

1. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

I’d say it’s more like a book burning. Folks who think they’re bathed in righteousness who are in fact doing a disservice to humanity.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Exactly this ^^^

10. avatar SD3 says:

California wins teh stoopid.

11. avatar Bigred2989 says:

“Where you’re going you don’t need…guns.”
    -Doc Fienstein

12. avatar Frank Masotti says:

And how does this “melt down” help anyone?

1. avatar BaconFart says:

It’s all marketing. You destroy what is evil and therefore guns are evil. Just a stunt to, like Eric Holder said, “brainwash people” to think guns are bad.

2. avatar cynical bastard says:

It’s called “deodand”. Fairly common phenomenon in primitive cultures, like politicians or cops.

13. avatar Rand says:

It makes me sick when I think of all the people too poor to afford the security that a firearm might give them. It’s not the nice neighborhoods that are the high crimes areas, is it?

14. avatar T says:

Another useless symbolic we are doing something to combat gun violence message. With acts like this it’s no wonder why people are getting the hell of Cali.

15. avatar jwm says:

Five thousand busted junk guns that were useless even to their owners get melted. Making room for a hundred thousand new and functional guns to take their place. The cycle of life.

16. avatar Don says:

Sounds like Cash For Clunkers, ballistic version. Just as effective too.
    I feel so much safer now.

17. avatar Scott says:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions, or so they say.

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

And reinforced with melted Jennings?

18. avatar Franko says:

I’d be much happier if they melted Diane Feinstein & Nancy Pelosi and recycled them into pavement.

19. avatar Kevin L says:

*sniff* *sniff* All those poor innocent guns 🙁 they could have provided people so much food and enjoyment…

20. avatar John in Ohio says:

I know firearms are inanimate objects but the tittle, headline, and first sentence struck me as morbid. Definitely sad.

Probably more than a few people would sacrifice everyone’s firearms just to keep the roads maintained.

One day, they might be melting them down to make chains.

21. avatar OakRiver says:

What’s the rate on turning in a firearm? Just thinking about what return you could get in turning in some moisin nagants

1. avatar Nick D says:

No, absolutely not. Do not destroy them. I will buy them from you. A better question is, how much would they pay for a functioning, homemade pipe rifle? A nail, some rubber bands, a 2×4 and a length of pipe, I can make a smoothbore rifle and/or shotgun. They give me 50, 100, 200 dollars for it, I will give that to you for mosins. Never, ever, let these monsters destroy something of actual value.
      /rant off

22. avatar CCDWGuy says:

Metallica Boulevard!

23. avatar brentondadams says:

Bullshit.

That’s all.

24. avatar Aaron says:

yeah, so what. People pawning their broke-dick, rusty old guns to the state. Doesn’t do a damn thing to reduce gun crime.

25. avatar Noishkel says:

I take some solace in the fact that the vast majority of the guns that were destroyed were old broken junk. Still… I do hate these turn in events.

26. avatar Victor says:

To be honest, the most surprising thing I found in this article is that we still have a steel mill in California. Gotta love how we’ve killed all the industries here.
    Now that I think about it, California’s kinda the Broken dream’s state what with Hollywood, the Gold Rush, Aero Space, Firearms. Anything worth a damn here is good for like 2 seconds before being shot down the drain.

27. avatar Lurker_Of_Lurkiness says:

If she weighs as much as a gun, she’s made of wood BURN HER!
    or
    She turned me into a sheeple! wot? I got better

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

So if she floats. . . She’s a witch!

28. avatar bigx5murf says:

Mao did something similar during his “cultural revolution”, burned guns, books, art, monks, etc etc anything that didn’t fit his agenda.

29. avatar former water walker says:

Sounds like a Simpson’s Halloween episode. SAD…

30. avatar Another Robert says:

You can tell what a great idea it is–they have to make it an “event” in order to try to give it some trace of an aura of significance.

31. avatar Jay1987 says:

So many guns that couldve been restored… this is just tragic!!!

32. avatar Josh says:

Since automotive crashes kill more people than guns, this is ironic

33. avatar Accur81 says:

I’d like to first state that I was not part of this process in any way. Secondly, I have a busted air gun ready for the next gun buyback. I’m debating which pro-gun (or pro ammo) cause will receive the proceeds.

So the next melted down “gun” might be a Crosman pellet gun with blown seals with the proceeds going to the NRA, Calguns, and the FPC.

1. avatar Geoff PR says:

While donation to a cause is altruistic, that 25 USD gift card could buy range ammo…

34. avatar Chris Johnson says:

Jesus.. my stomach just turned and my eyes teared up.

Wonder what kind of gems were in that stack…

35. avatar RetMSgt in Pa. says:

a. That’s an awfully expensive way to get rebar.

b. What’s California state law on disposal of government property? I would assume that over a certain value it has to be auctioned off as scrap, or something like that.

36. avatar barnbwt says:

Burn ’em all! Burn the books, too! Witches, begone! I’d like to know what engineering firm signed off on rebar made from unknown alloys that’s allegedly being used “in bridges”

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

A36 structural steel doesn’t even have an alloy spec, about all it needs to be is magnetic and have more carbon than cast iron.

37. avatar collver says:

Here I am scraping money together to buy a gun and these fools are crushing ’em. It’s sinful.

38. avatar Plumbump says:

Do I really need another reason to never step foot in CA?… No. My favorite parts are east over a lil mountain range.

39. avatar Gw / SEIS says:

Who’d a thunk it? A thousand-word picture reduced to a single two-word combination:
    Caption: “GUN VIOLENCE”

In another day and time, some might have immediately thought to suggest a far better use would have been as fence-building material.

40. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

I have like a 1913 Winchester. I wonder what those idiots would give me for it to melt down? It’s not a 30/30 and it’s in really rough shape.
    I’m not sure about the age. I looked it up once and thing is just old as dirt.

41. avatar Micah Rubin says:

Maybe they’re destroying evidence of a gun-walking scheme gone wrong.

42. avatar Gregolas says:

And all this folderall for what amounts to maybe 6 cubic feet of overpass girder?
    That’s some impressive recycling!

43. avatar LarryinTX says:

Wait! WAIT! You mean people have to drive on/over these guns? What if they GO OFF? Did anybody even think of the children? These guns must be removed from our roadways! At any cost!

44. avatar CitizenSoldier says:

“Like a wild Injun”?

Seriously?

That’s not helping shed the redneck image of America’s gun owners. Quoting the institutionalized racism of the 1950s is bullshit.

45. avatar allen says:

i see lots of wooden stocks there. mosin nagants? bubbas hunting riffle? not much deadly black AR riffles

46. avatar Tom says:

I say this in sarcasm. Too bad that liberals statists and progressives couldnt be melted down. But I cant think of any use. Cant be used as fertilizer, most likely would be lethal to plants.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

A substitute for Roundup? At least it would claim to be environmentally friendly. 😀

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

“A substitute for Roundup? ”

No! The effects would be the opposite – ground-up statists and hoplophobes would kill the good plants and fertilize the toxic weeds like thistles and poison ivy and deadly nightshade.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

True. It’s probably the first truly worthless substance I’ve ever encountered. 😉

47. avatar Kat Joch says:

The obvious ploy of the symbolic stunt aside, I noticed this task was overseen by the sheriff’s department… I suppose because they would best know how to handle them. And they will be relied upon to step up their services to defend and protect. Might need to hire a couple more people. Provide cars and equipment at the tax payers expense.