“Chicago commuters can’t run, can’t hide, and can’t carry. I think that’s called fish in a barrel.”

That’s TTAG reader JRW’s take on this story from myfoxchicago.com: “Two armed men robbed multiple passengers on an Orange Line CTA train heading into downtown Wednesday afternoon. The robbery happened at 4:13 p.m. on the train as it traveled between the Halsted and Roosevelt stations, police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala said. Two armed suspects took various items from multiple riders, Zala said. No one is hurt and no one is in custody. Police are reviewing surveillance video in the case, Zala said.” One of these days, a legal concealed carrier – carrying illegally on a train – will Bernhard Goetz some thugs like these. It won’t be pretty, but it will make news. Especially in the wrong circles.

comments

1. avatar ST says:

That’s exactly the point.

Chicagos government makes perfect sense when one remembers that it works for the thugs, both on and off the streets.

1. avatar Victor says:

Please remind us that the NEW Illinois c/c law has SO MANY EXCEPTIONS, it effectively only allows you to carry TO, or FROM some place, thing, or event where the carry is banned.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

It’s almost like criminals choose disarmed victims of opportunity just like predators choose prey that is weak or young. Those who can’t defend themselves are preyed upon by those who have the advantage to attack. That’s f$&@ing shocking – if you’re a liberal progressive.

Gun Free Zones – giving the armed bad guys the advantage from the very day someone was dumb enough to accept them.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Well obviously this particular Gun Free Zone didn’t have enough magical flatulent unicorns… or something… Need Moarz Signs and Lawzzzz!!!

/Progderp

1. avatar NJ2AZ says:

hey NYC, are you in the phoenix metro area?

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

I was. I just moved out of Phoenix for work. Still in AZ, just a smaller town out in eastern AZ.

2. avatar NJ2AZ says:

there exists anything in eastern arizona besides the san carlos rez?

3. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Yeah… luckily I’m not there. But that rez in particular is a perfect example of what happens in a complete welfare state.

2. avatar Indiana Tom says:

I think Chicago has Safe Passage Zones that are signed and marked where children can travel freely and then get shot to pieces by gang members who really do not care.

1. avatar Steve says:

I thought it was safe passage for drugs and gangs? We’re supposed to make the kids safe? Too bad we don’t prosecute real criminals in Chicago then

3. avatar T.G. says:

No one was hurt and only monetary items were stolen. This is successful crime prevention to the gun control advocates over the city. No “innocent” criminals were shot and no major news stations ran a story about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

1. avatar T.G. says:

It was just a little bruise…..You have to remember that violence is oik. Its only GUN violence that is bad. Right?

1. avatar 357M28 says:

I am new around here. I did not mean any disrespect. I should have made my own comment instead of replying. Apologies.

2. avatar T.G. says:

Don’t be sorry. Your post helped make my point. Without the flash of a gun battle no one really cares about street crime. But the 64 year old women surely cares that she was defenseless.

1. avatar 357M28 says:

It would have been cool if the lady pulled out a 6″ .357 from her purse and asked the dude, ” Do you feel lucky? “

4. avatar Jomo says:

Interestingly, Rahm likes to travel on the El. When people were griping about the cost of city government he made a big deal about skipping the motorcade and taking the El… Of course he had his well-armed personal protection detail with him every time. You can bet this law doesn’t apply to him.

In another note, Ilinois’s new CHL law doesn’t allow for reciprocity. Instead, they encourage you to apply for a non-resident permit–which is only available if you are from states who’s gun laws they like… Hmmm…

5. avatar former water walker says:

The report is wrong. A Spanish speaking women was beaten up when she resisted( bravely, crazily or stupidly). The Westside of Chicago is NOT a nice place. Back 30 years ago I rode the el and was attacked by a young thug. Why he thought to target a 220pound weightlifter is beyond me. It didn’t end well for him.

6. avatar Joe R. says:

And, if you teach a man to fish. . .

7. avatar Clem says:

Wrong picture. That’s the California Ave stop for the Blue Line. The ordeal happened on the Orange Line. Duh.

8. avatar CTsheepdog says:

I commute from Connecticut to Grand Central Terminal in NYC via MetroNorth’s commuter line. In the few years after 9/11, we had MTA police on almost every train, usually walking the train’s length once or twice during a ride in or out. Unfortunately, I can not tell you the last time I noted MTA uniforms regularly on the trains. I would imagine that the LIRR is no different given the same governing body.

While I am licensed to carry in CT, no such luck in NY so I can not carry to work and neither can most other commuters from CT. And as we know, getting a permit in NY is harder so I would guess that few trains have armed citizens aboard.

Which makes NY and CT/NY commuters as vulnerable as the folks in Chicago even though it is easier for us to legally own and carry handguns.

RF, I really need to come visit you in TX……

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

You’re not as vulnerable because the time and distance between stops is longer than the Chicago El or NYC subway, so the perp is stuck in the train with you for longer; hence, more chances at revenge/beatdown.

9. avatar Gunr says:

Bernhard Goetz!
    My hero, Man of the year, Crime fighter!
    I’ll bet if we had an incident like that every day, there would be no more subway holdups!

1. avatar Fionn MacCumhail says:

To quote Mark Russel back in the ’80’s:
      “This just in. The reason Bernhard Goetz fled the scene was… He didn’t have time for the ticker-tape parade.”

1. avatar Gunr says:

I love it!

10. avatar Joe R. says:

How many times, and in how many ways does your government have to tell you that they cannot protect you on the individual level, before you stop asking them to?

1. avatar mk10108 says:

No protection and risk selective prosecution if one defense oneself. How and why the people allow elected representatives to strip people of lawful self protection, is beyond my comprehension.

11. avatar Jus Bill says:

One of these days, a legal concealed carrier – carrying illegally on a train – will Bernhard Goetz some thugs like these.

And the jury of his peers would, after the probable arrest and inevitable trial, discover nullification. And Tiny Dancer and his sock puppet McBoozy would lose their minds.

12. avatar elder says:

For anyone in Chicago, which CTL line is the one to avoid (color)…purple? Or Blue line?

1. avatar lizzrd says:

The one with the wheels…

13. avatar CentralIL says:

Chicago commuters may not be able to “carry” a firearm on trains or buses, but they can “transport” one. The firearm must be unloaded and stored in some type of case. A briefcase or fanny pack counts as a case and a loaded magazine may be stored with the firearm.

It’s nowhere near as fast as normal carry. It is something though. It also means IL CCL holders don’t necessarily have to leave their pistols at home just because they use public transportation.

14. avatar tdiinva says:

I no longer know what line is what. Back in the day there was the North South, Ravenswood, Evanston, West-Northwest (Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee AV) and Lake st, later Lake-Dan Ryan. Made more sense than the color scheme that the CTA picked up from Washington..

15. avatar Gs650g says:

They don’t even need the gun to rob people, just intimidation. Too bad there wasn’t an off duty plains clothes cop on the train, but you can’t base your safety on luck.

16. avatar OkieRim says:

When the reset switch is flipped, people like this will be getting repaid, in spades.

17. avatar Full Cleveland says:

Life in the big city. Chicagoans must like it.

18. I avoid all gun free zones especially Chicago, New York, California, etc…….

19. avatar C. Wesley Bryant says:

The future of wealth redistribution. Get used to it.

20. avatar Brian says:

“News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala”

I’m seen some pretty weird names in my day. Someone tell me “Veejay” is a made up name.

Respectfully,

His Eminence Overlord of Scrotomza

Boogerdong “Bubbaschlong” Cantalope Junior.

1. avatar Wolf says:

Veejay isn’t a made up name it’s an Indian name, just spelled weird. Normally it’s Vijay.

1. avatar Brian says:

Ok, that makes sense. I was thinking some mom named her child after someone who plays videos or something.

So glad my mom didn’t do that with me.

Bubbaschlong (junior)

21. avatar jimmyjames says:

I took the train or whatever the hell its called in Chi town from Ohare to downtown one time because of my cheap ass boss. Thought I was going to die. Middle of the day, not rush hours. No one else on the train except dumbasses like me and thugs. The god lord was looking after me that day. What ever happened to transit cops? Budget cuts?