BREAKING: Beretta Pulls Out of Maryland

Beretta_Logo

The day after gun control supporters [falsely] claimed that the passage of an “assault weapon” and “high-capacity magazine” ban and increased concealed carry requirements reduced firearms-related crime in Maryland, Italian gunmaker Beretta announced that it’s moving all of its manufacturing out of Maryland and into Tennessee. GM Jeff Cooper left no doubt that The Free State’s post-Newtown push for civilian disarmament (a.k.a., Bill SB281) triggered the move . . .

During the legislative session in Maryland that resulted in passage of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, the version of the statute that passed the Maryland Senate would have prohibited Beretta U.S.A. from being able to manufacture, store or even import into the State products that we sell to customers throughout the United States and around the world. While we were able in the Maryland House of Delegates to reverse some of those obstructive provisions the possibility that such restrictions might be reinstated in the future leaves us very worried about the wisdom of maintaining a firearm manufacturing factory in the State.

As someone famous once said, elections have consequences. The bi-furcation of America continues.

Full Press Release:

Beretta U.S.A. Corp., located in Accokeek, Maryland, announced today that it has decided to move its manufacturing capabilities from its existing location to a new production facility that it is building in Gallatin, Tennessee.  The Gallatin facility is scheduled to be opened in mid-2015.  Beretta U.S.A. had previously planned to use the new Gallatin, Tennessee facility for new machinery and production of new products only.

“During the legislative session in Maryland that resulted in passage of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, the version of the statute that passed the Maryland Senate would have prohibited Beretta U.S.A. from being able to manufacture, store or even import into the State products that we sell to customers throughout the United States and around the world.  While we were able in the Maryland House of Delegates to reverse some of those obstructive provisions, the possibility that such restrictions might be reinstated in the future leaves us very worried about the wisdom of maintaining a firearm manufacturing factory in the State,” stated Jeff Cooper, General Manager for Beretta U.S.A. Corp.

“While we had originally planned to use the Tennessee facility for new equipment and for production of new product lines only, we have decided that it is more prudent from the point of view of our future welfare to move the Maryland production lines in their entirety to the new Tennessee facility,” Cooper added.

The transition of production from Beretta U.S.A.’s Maryland facility to the Tennessee facility will not occur until 2015 and will be managed so as not to disrupt deliveries to Beretta customers.  Beretta U.S.A.’s production of the U.S. Armed Forces M9 9mm pistol will continue at the Accokeek, Maryland facility until all current orders from the U.S. Armed Forces have been filled.

“We have not yet begun groundbreaking on the Tennessee facility and we do not anticipate that that building will be completed until the middle part of 2015,” continued Cooper.  “That timing, combined with our need to plan an orderly transition of production from one facility to the other so that our delivery obligations to customers are not disrupted, means that no Beretta U.S.A. Maryland employee will be impacted by this news for many months.  More importantly, we will use this time to meet with every Beretta U.S.A. employee whose Maryland job might be affected by the move to discuss with them their interest in taking a position at our new facility in Tennessee or, if they are not willing to do so, to lay out a long-term strategy for remaining with the Company while our production in Maryland continues.”

Beretta U.S.A. anticipates that the Gallatin, Tennessee facility will involve $45 million of investment in building and equipment and the employment of around 300 employees during the next five years.

Media Contact:
Jeff Reh
JReh@BerettaUSA.com

[h/t DG]

comments

1. avatar Powers says:

Awesome

2. avatar Steve in MD says:

I wonder if I could convince them to take me with them.

1. avatar John Galt says:

Looks like a lot of folks leaving the Free State. Maryland is a net migration loser.

Restless America: state-to-state migration in 2012 (cool chart)

People from New York, DC, Texas and California are flocking to Maryland.

Meanwhile Maryland is losing population to Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina and Florida.

1. avatar dh34 says:

If you look at the people leaving Texas, it looks like most are going to either other military base states (CA, FL, WA, CO, MD, VA) or energy states (LA, OK).

Not real surprising since Air Force boot camp, Navy and USAF flight training, Navy and USAF Military Police and Corpsman training, and two of the largest Army bases are there.

2. avatar Mark says:

I understand Steve. I left there seven years ago after living all my life there. Grew up in Howard County. The deteoriation of Maryland into a statist cesspool hastened my departure. Maryland is a beautiful state marred only by its Democrat administration. Martin O’Mally has certainly ruined Maryland but what do you expect from a state that taxes the rain!

3. avatar Lance says:

Gun maker thumb there nose at fascist politicians in Maryland…. GOOD

4. Another win for Texas

1. avatar michael nieto says:

you misspelled Tennessee

1. avatar scott says:

Spit my Diet Pepsi on this one. Well done!

1. avatar not michael nieto says:

You misspelled beer.

2. avatar Gunr says:

NMN,
          You forgot the “S” on the end of beer.

2. avatar notalima says:

That’s funny stuff right there 😀

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Epic chain here. I’ve got serious chuckles going.

3. avatar dh34 says:

“…the stars at night…are big and bright…deep in the heart of Tex…ennessee…”

4. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Davy Crockett didn’t 🙂

5. avatar Bigred2989 says:

People are going to lose jobs because of this law. For the children.

1. avatar notaTTAGreg says:

A few hundred jobs for the safety of the children is a fair trade.

/sarcasm

1. avatar UnapologeticallyAmerican says:

How many children have any gun restricting law saved? A few perhaps I will admit. How many children will die as a result from their parents who are law-abiding not being able to defend them because they couldn’t have a gun, a lot more than a few.

How many people will then be violently attacked, raped, robbed? Again a thousand fold more than any child ever killed by a mass shooter.

2. avatar B says:

We don’t need those jobs. The gubernia of Maryland will decide what jobs we need for glorious future! The free market is a lie, weakness is strength!

… F*** Maryland. I’m here right now. Its creepy as heck. I swear, this place looks exactly like a slightly greener Texas. Rural as heck. How could a place like this be a progressive paradise? There’s is a weird disconnect, like the government doesn’t actually represent the people.

1. avatar Steve in MD says:

Because all the folks in the rural majority of MD don’t outnumber the parasites in 4 counties and Baltimore City.

1. avatar Legioinvictus says:

Exactly right, unfortunately. This is the trend in most of the larger blue states, NY etc.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

YUP! And it’s a shame the good country folk don’t FLOCK to the polls instead of whining about secession. With very little individual effort they could completely overwhelm the welfare suckers and limousine liberals in the four ghettos and Bawlmer in the General Election this Fall. But it’s easier to bitch and do nothing.

Remember: YOU GET THE GOVERNMENT YOU DESERVE.

3. avatar GS650G says:

Exactly. 8 counties in PA determine the state’s future as does the NYC metro area. If you slice off these areas these states look remarkably like middle America.
          Of course they claim to pay all the bills and that is probably true. But at what cost?

4. avatar jsallison says:

Which would be why the electoral college needs to consist of one elector for each county or county equivalent (about 3400-ish, last count.) whose vote is tied to the outcome of the popular vote in their jurisdiction. Time for steaming mounds of blue filth to no longer be able to wag the dog.

2. avatar john says:

I left 14 years ago – it was a Libtard haven then, and has only gotten MUCH worse since.

The gov’t DOES represent the feeling of most of the progs.

6. avatar LarryinTX says:

This is awesome. They could have kept quiet and done it when possible, since that is over a year away, but, instead, they make it absolutely obvious that the government has thrown jobs and taxes away, along, I bet, with a bunch of taxpayers who will move to TN to keep their jobs. And end up WAY happier.

1. avatar B says:

I hope its all spite on Beretta’s part before the elections in November.

7. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

I lived for 3 decades in Maryland … I will visit friends there now but will never move back.

1. avatar Gunr says:

And when you visit friends, you can pick up you temporary CC permit at the border!

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

But stay out of the tunnels.

2. avatar FRAN says:

Who do you think you are kidding? Maryland does not recognize any other states concealed carry permit. Learn the Law, or are you one of the ones who was able to move? I can’t get my handgun until we can move out of Md.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Did you see me add j/k? No.

The “Tunnel Rats” use license plate readers and automation to identify and harass non-locals they don’t like. And locals they don’t like. Like the poor slob from Florida not too long ago.

3. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

LOL … temporary Maryland CC permit … that’s a good one …

I actually do know one person who lives in Maryland that has a genuine state of Maryland concealed carry permit. It’s because he’s a business owner. He can basically carry concealed when he’s doing business activities.

My conclusion is that essentially, Maryland cares more about business owners protecting their money than it cares about parents protecting their children (or women protecting their bodies, or basically anyone protecting their lives).

1. avatar Hannibal says:

I know someone in the same boat. People with specific threats against their lives have a harder time getting a permit than someone who owns a business.

2. avatar neiowa says:

Can’t tax dead evil capitalist pigs oppressors of the proletariat yadda yadda yadda. See also jizyah

8. avatar pod says:

This seems like a mixed victory in a way. It is good because Beretta is putting their money where their mouth is and taking the jobs away from a state that doesn’t respect what they do. But at the same time, it adds fuel to the antis’ fire, in that they will be like “Look, we passed laws and the evil gun makers had to leave!!!”

1. avatar Dan A says:

That claim will backfire. Most people are far more concerned about jobs than about gun control

2. avatar bigfinger76 says:

If the elected representatives and their constituents of a given state are dense enough to cheer the flight of an industry heavyweight (in a time when said industry is experiencing above-average growth and profit), I see nothing wrong with allowing them to make that particular bed.
      Eventually, we’ll have disarmed, anti-A states and firearm-producing, pro-A ones. I can live with that, and the anti states will have to as well.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

More like disarmed, bankrupt anti-2A states, IMO. Maryland is headed that way fast. And the Feds can’t move enough Government jobs here to make up the difference.

9. avatar former water walker says:

Good for Beretta. Sorry about the lost jobs. Hey my son lives in Maryland. Maybe these folks can get gubmint jobs like my son. Yep-elections have consequences. I guess I’ll have to buy a Beretta now…

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

You think your son’s job is safe? Wait until the next round of BRAC.

10. avatar Legioinvictus says:

This is great news for TN and a great message from Beretta to other gun and gun-related manufacturers in blue states. However, as a very pro 2 amendment and captive Maryland resident (job, house underwater), it won’t make a difference to the Maryland Dimocrats and libtards including O’Malley.

Maryland has the highest per capita income in the country, and that’s largely due to the huge amount of federal dollars pouring into the state for federal agencies and jobs located here, federal contractors, federal funded bio research, one of the biggest military installations on the east coast (NSA) etc. The loss of Beretta and the 300 jobs means nothing to the Maryland gun grabbers. In fact, their attitude is good riddance. They see this as win.

1. avatar I_Like_Pie says:

People live in Maryland primarily because they don’t want to sleep at night in the cesspool known as DC

Correct.

11. avatar WI Patriot says:

“Beretta U.S.A. has no plans to relocate its office, administrative and executive support functions from its Accokeek, Maryland facility.”

So they’re going to continue to feed MD’s tax base…

1. avatar anon says:

That’s what I was wondering. Are taxes paid based on where production takes place, or based on where a company headquarters? I think it’s the latter, explaining why Delaware houses so many corporations.

Delaware doesn’t actually “house” many corporations. Many companies are organized under the Delaware corporation law — not the Delaware tax law — because it is very favorable to business organizations.

1. avatar GS650G says:

Delaware treats companies like citizens and takes a small percentage of IPOs. There are a number of reasons why over 200000 companies are incorporated there. Nevada is trying to lure them with the same deals but DE is still tops.

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

One of the reasons why DE still has the draw for incorporation over NV and WY is that DE has a chancery court, which the other states lack.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

So the two dozen or so people left will move out of the plant (which will be abandoned and/or used to house illegal immigrants) and into a storefront in Waldorf. Just watch.

3. avatar janklow says:

honestly, in a way, this is a good thing, because it may still give them a reason to speak up in MD. they’ve been a strong 2nd Amendment advocate here, and it’s a shame to lose that (although understandable)

12. avatar dwb says:

Maryland is trying everything is can to be worst in the nation in job creation, and freedom. And, succeeding.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Yes indeed! We have the best government that money can buy!

Oh, wait…

2. avatar BigFire says:

Nah, California have a head start on job destroying regulation and taxes. We aimed to be #1.

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

…damn straight!

13. avatar Kevin A. says:

Dammit. Now I’m going to have to buy a 92FS.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

You’ll get your money back when you decide to sell all your other pistols after shooting the 92.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

I know someone who went through not less than FIVE jam-a-matic 1911s who saw me never having a malf with my Beretta 92. He finally bought one.

And had the same trouble-free shooting, until…

What soured him on the Beretta was when both of our firing pins broke (in different ways, no less) and it took hours of effort to get at them and replace them, then reassemble the gun. The AGI video on the Beretta, by the way, covers the Taurus clone with the frame mounted cock-and-lock safety (actually a better idea IMHO) and was worthless for this.

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

First I’ve heard of any problem with firing pins breaking. I suppose no gun is immune to a breakage, but the army tests were no joke, and the 92 outperformed everything out at the time (yes Sig did pretty good too). They don’t jam. I asked a friend of mine who spent 26 years in the army and spent some time as armorer and he said the only time he ever saw an M9 jam was once when a casing got stuck in the chamber and had to be driven out with a screwdriver (bad case not a bad gun).

Personally I prefer the slide mount safety but to each his own. It’s easy enough to reach when you want to but out of the way when you don’t. I don’t want to have to be concerned with holding the safety down so it doesn’t engage under recoil like the 1911 guys.

2. avatar SteveInCO says:

“They don’t jam.”

Exactly. I’d unhesitatingly take one over a 1911 if the feces were about to go ballistic. Just to be clear on that.

I’ve seen too many 1911s jam up, oftentimes within minutes of their owners bragging about how they have never had any “issues” with them. (Makes me wonder how many of them think the occasional feed ramp jam is just normal and not considered an issue. “That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” And I wonder how many of them continue to insist their precious baby has been “flawless” after that happens. The upshot: When I see that claim, I just smile and think to myself, “sure, if you say so.”)

Even with my firing pin broken, mine worked. I didn’t realize there was a problem and that it was abnormal for the pin to, due to gravity, poke out of the breechface when the gun was pointed downwards. I don’t remember what happened with my friend’s but it made the gun inop.

I switched to the CZ-75 (safety version, not decocker) because I decided I did not want a DA first shot any more. It has been *almost* as reliable as the Beretta was. It has so far choked three times on my filthy-powder reloads after lots of shooting, and twice on that nylon jacketed Herter’s aluminum cased stuff. It’s possible my compact would be more reliable than my full size under those circumstances. As for having to hold the safety down… I didn’t even realize 1911 guys do that. My CZ’s safety is similarly placed and it has never done that. Maybe those 1911 guys should all switch to CZ-97s (if they really just gotta have the .45) and learn what “no issues” actually means.

3. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Never had a chance to try out a CZ but I’ve always heard good things about them. One thing I like about the 92 is the balance. The locking block allows for the lighter open slide and that places the center of gravity back toward the grip. It just points more naturally than other full size pistols I’ve tried.

I’ve mostly moved on to revolvers because they offer a whole new level of accuracy and range.

14. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Good job Beretta. Vote with your feet. Or in this case with your business.

15. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

Have kin that still live in Maryland. They love to come South. I keep inviting them to sell their highly appreciated real estate and move south for a much larger place for less money and if TN, FL, or TX, no state income tax and some other burdensome taxes.

Congratulations to Beretta at making a wise decision. Maryland may even try to declare Berettas illegal in the near future.

16. avatar MD Matt says:

Hm, certainly makes Beretta worth looking at.
    Hopefully this helps kick Brown to the curb but with this state who knows.
    Another fortune 500 company gone.
    or mostly gone. One wonders why they left their main office here, unless it’s to be close to DC.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

“Executive support” in the DC area is Wall Street speak for “Federal Marketing.” Probably out of a storefront.

17. avatar Eric says:

I may have to buy a Beretta.

18. avatar SpeleoFool says:

Does this make my Accokeek-stamped slide a collector’s item? 😉

1. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

If you hold on to it for another century or so.

19. avatar Dark says:

Leave it to Beretta to move to a state just out of my reach for a tour or anything for my b-day.

20. avatar Colby says:

I’ll buy the first TN marked M9A1 I see.

21. avatar GreenTriumph says:

They need to be in Maryland to sell and market to the federal agencies. Otherwise they would probably pull out.

1. avatar Gene says:

As I umderstand it, VA was being considered but NOVA pushed the win to TMac.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Yeah, another Pyrrhic victory for Bloomberg.

22. avatar Fabian B. says:

Off topic, but Jeff Cooper has to be the best name for a guy in this business.

23. avatar Missouri Josh says:

Ouch!!!

Enjoy losing that revenue, Maryland! Feel the burn, baby! Just remember, for every action, there’s a reaction 🙂

I do believe that I will be adding a Beretta to my stable. I also believe I will NOT be visiting Maryland anytime soon.

24. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

Jeff Cooper? How funny is that….guess Maryland must not have known who they were dealing with LOL.

25. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Any coincidence army announced they were going to go to a new gun to replace M9? Think about it. Have to attack Beretta’s reputation to take the shine off the new penny and then use that to argue about why they are leaving

26. avatar Accur81 says:

Good for Beretta. I’d love to buy a Beretta shotgun, but I’ve got all these dang bills I’ve got to take care of first.

27. avatar WarsawPactHeat says:

Good news for Beretta. I’m hoping LWRC International follows suit.

28. avatar Retired LEO says:

Beretta also gets the advantage of a right to work state & no unions.

29. avatar Fuxnewengland says:

Hell yes keep em coming south! I’m gonna have to go buy a Beretta to show my support!

30. avatar former water walker says:

My son’s job is very safe jus bill…he speaks Arabic and ( supposedly) fights terrorism at DOD. And he told me his job was safe. He’s also happy with Maryland & the awful laws. He’s about to turn 40 so I tend to not interfere with his life. There’s a weird government bubble when you live there.

1. avatar neiowa says:

No billet at DOD is safe with the current crew of clowns in charge (or any other job).

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Yeah maybe you’re right…he could always sell used cars on Devon Ave. in Chicago with his language skills..or run for PRESIDENT.

31. avatar TroyBilt says:

Looks like I will be buying the boy an A400 Explore Light for the 1st day of rabbit season this year.

32. avatar Tex300BLK says:

I love it! It also looks like they are talking with their employees about potential relocation to TN, even better, leaves no one for the crooks… erm… I mean duly elected public servants to parade around saying “those selfish gun nuts shipped your jobs off to another state.” Unless you enjoy terrible weather and generally un-friendly people, I fail to see why you wouldn’t want to head to Tennessee, one of the few truly beautiful parts of this country. An added bonus will be the “pay raise” from moving to somewhere with lower taxes and cost of living.

33. avatar Excedrine says:

Good job, Beretta. Now, if only I could afford one of your pistols…

34. avatar Paco says:

You think MD gives a shit? They’re probably glad to see them go.

35. avatar Bob21 says:

Personally, I like seeing blue states lose their firearms manufacturing capacity to free states. Who knows where this tyranny thing will take us, but in the end, winning our freedom may come down to which side has a better supply chain.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

A superior supply and logistics chain won the Civil War, WW I, WW II and the Cold War. Don’t knock it.

2. avatar Yellow Devil says:

“Amateurs talk tactics, professionals discuss logistics”.

36. avatar Narcoossee says:

What does at least one person in MD have to say about this? Let’s surf over to the Baltimore Sun’s website, and check out the comments under this story!

Tweezer25
    Rank 546

I don’t think you can place blame on O’Malley too much entirely. Everyone hems & haws about gun violence and when something is done about it, people are complaining about something like this. I think their reason of moving is more to it than what they’re saying-they wouldn’t do it unless it was a good business decision-and there is more to that than this particular gun law. It sucks seeing any jobs leave Md, but hopefully this creates an opportunity for another company to come into that space to replace them. 160 jobs doesn’t even move the needle compared to the violence that is ongoing.

Check out the other comments here:

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Of course that’s in the Bawlteemoron Sun. The commenter is probably a Freshman PoliSci major at UMBC.

37. avatar Mediocrates says:

Like 1 zillion times

38. avatar Scrubula says:

When chicago crime goes down after concealed carry is allowed, it’s unrelated and just momentum from other downward crime trends. Yet when they pass a gun control bill during a downward crime trend, it’s clearly the cause of the trend.
    And yet when people promote gun control they say that we live in more violent times than ever before, which could not be possibly more incorrect when looking at actual crime statistics… Sickening.

39. avatar Mark says:

Corporate welfare? You kinda left out the part about the free money from Tennesee..

“As a result of choosing Gallatin, Beretta will be eligible for tax credits, infrastructure and job training grants from the state. Details also are being finalized for a payment-in-lieu-of-taxes grant from Gallatin.”

40. avatar SD3 says:

Hope you CHOKE on it, Maryland.

41. avatar Aaron says:

Every thug in Baltimore that can afford street price for a gun is carrying.

Good thing they have effectively eliminated lawful concealed carry. Wouldn’t want law abiding citizens defending themselves – they ought to be “spreading the wealth around”.

42. avatar Phil COV says:

AL, TX, GA, TN

Got it on the last guess. Good for them.

43. avatar Jandrews says:

Good for them. Unfortunately the Statist pols will see this as a win as it will mean more former workers on the government tit.

44. avatar Rebecca says:

Boss, I would not leave Maryland with so much as a post office box to claim that Beretta is still there. I would even take the used thumb tacks as well.

Addendum: Neither would I allow any weapon manufactured by Beretta to be purchased, serviced, repaired or replaced for anyone who works for any State govt. agency or any government agency within the State of Maryland.

45. avatar Mehul Kamdar says:

I had told Beretta that I would buy a 455 series double rifle if they left Maryland. Since the 455 has been discontinued, I will buy an SSO6 EELL in 458 Winchester by the time they are ready to start operations in Tennessee. Thank you, Beretta! Well done!

46. avatar Johannes P. says:

What a strange state. The only one, I think, to have been a slave state in the 19th century and again in the 21st. Even New Jersey can’t claim that.

47. avatar Gregory says:

The politicians in Maryland don’t give a shit what Beretta does. Remember, for liberals, it is all about the idea, not about results. If it looks good and feels good, that is all that matters. The constitution only matters when they say it does.

48. avatar Stratajema says:

Notice how Beretta is unwilling to move management personnel from Maryland to Tennessee. Just like Magpul didn’t want to move to its management personnel to their new manufacturing site in Texas. The cities where these new manufacturing plants will be built are not attractive to white collar personnel. Just sayin…

1. avatar Amfivena says:

Yes, this strikes me as a hollow and hypocritical statement by Beretta executives. They’re so upset by MD laws they’re making a few factory drones choose between their job and uprooting their families. Notice the executives don’t need to sell homes, their children don’t need to change schools and their spouses won’t need to find new jobs. Besides, I’m sure Beretta employees with government connections have no problem getting gun permits or affording private security. So, the new restrictions won’t have any meaningful impact on their personal security.

I’ll risk making an a** of myself and assume they probably already planned to shut the MD factories to trim production costs anyway. They make the announcement 6 months ahead of time and get some free press and perhaps some sympathy sales.

1. avatar jsallison says:

Welp, rather then rake them over their imputed motives as a good little jackwagon of the left would do, keep your eye on the results. The manufacturing is didimauing.

49. avatar Daily Beatings says:

“Born on a mountain top in Tennessee
    Greenest state in the Land of the Free
    Raised in the woods so’s he knew every tree
    Kilt him a b’ar when he was only three.
    Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier!”

50. avatar neiowa says:

Going to have to see if there is something I “need”.

Have boycotted Beretta as “Eyetalian” craftsmanship just hasn’t been logical and the M9s Sam issued me in days gone by were not impressive.

1. avatar jsallison says:

Was a .45 fanboy on active duty, but when we got the M9’s my guys got a lot better at hitting stuff. Always felt that was a function mostly of the sights (service 1911 sights sucked). But hey, we were tankers, if we’re slapping leather/ripstop something has gone way beyond snafu level.

1. avatar Yellow Devil says:

Seeing how some of my officers shot at our last M9 range, I shudder to think how they could handle a .45.

51. avatar A samurai says:

“The bi-furcation of America continues.”

As I remember it, the last time America was bi-furcated, one of the biggest reasons the South lost was because all the good cannon foundries were in the North. Now the North is running all the gun makers South….

52. avatar Jay1987 says:

Uhh RF Maryland is called The Old Line State… and the antigun bullsh1t is mainly the big towns out in the mountains that opinion changes.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I hate to break this to you, but Maryland is also called “The Free State.” That name predates the “Old Line State” nickname by a long shot. The state was founded by escaping Catholics who desired freedom from England and the King’s Church there. Hence the “Free State” nickname. Their ghosts weep in bitter disappointment and frustration nightly these days, mourning their wasted sacrifices.

The “Old Line” refers to the Mason-Dixon Line, which forms the northern border of the state. That nickname came into vogue just prior to the Civil War. See also “Baltimore Draft Riots.”

53. avatar Eric G. says:

Hot Dang, My hometown, the site where their breaking ground is less than 5 minutes from my house.

54. avatar Recalcitrant says:

When, and if, the poop ever hits the fan. I find it interesting that all the arms manufactures will be located in the south instead of the north this time. History has a way of turning itself around.

1. avatar jsallison says:

Do believe Watervliet Arsenal is still in Watervliet, NY. (Tank cannons, howitzers, and suchlike.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Tankers need potty breaks too…

55. avatar WV Cycling says:

Still pissed at Joe Manchin…

“Beretta to W.Va.: Because of Manchin gun bill, we’ll look elsewhere”

56. avatar Mark says:

It’s a good move. Slowly but surely the disease that calls itself DC-Maryland-New Jersey-New York-Connecticut-Massachusetts is being quarantined. I wish all of the firearms manufacturers and importers would move to the South, to Texas (different from the South), and Montana. There should be “special pricing” for the five states (and one city) in the Quarantine Zone. Nothing except for single-shot rifles and pistols should be sold to stores in those states (and one city.) The prices should be doubled too, just for them.

1. avatar WV Cycling says:

There’s one company that is not selling to LEO unless their citizens are permitted to have the same firearms, no?

57. avatar Brian says:

We could use the jobs here in Michigan.