Tracking Point and Google Glass. So What About Remote Operation?

“When paired with wearable technology, PGFs [Precision Guided Firearms] can provide unprecedented benefits to shooters, such as the ability to shoot around corners, from behind low walls, and from other positions that provide exceptional cover,” TrackingPoint’s presser asserts. That’s because shooters can stream TrackingPoint’s ShotView system to their Google glass. “The shooter can easily see such important variables as range to target, shot angle, rifle cant, compass direction, battery life, and zoom setting.” What the TrackingPoint video doesn’t mention: remote firing. I wonder why that is. Too much for the antis?

comments

1. avatar Excedrine says:

All they’re missing is a remote kill-switch, like the one that Armatix will eventually implementing into their “smart” gun.

1. avatar Excedrine says:

In which case, I’ll pass on this in favor of my inherently more reliable “dumb” guns.

2. avatar Pwrserge says:

Called it. Next up, a powered gimbal setup and you have yourself a m56 smart gun.

1. avatar Paranoid Android says:

Up after that, connection to skynet. After that, hook up to a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

2. avatar CB says:

Next step will be kicking out a small arm capable ATLAS to the DOD. Which will rustle more jimmies than any smart gun possibly could.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Too late – DARPA already has.

3. avatar Henry Bowman says:

“They used to mostly come at night, used to”

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

“They mostly come at night. … Mostly.”

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

I mean that is what the products motto could be…“They used to mostly come at night, used to”..Great movie none the less.

3. avatar uncommon_sense says:

“What the TrackingPoint video doesn’t mention: remote firing.”

And that would be because our beloved Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives have deemed remotely fired firearms as illegal for peasants to own/possess.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Buddy, I’m NOT at all worried about the peasants. Sometimes the paranoids really are out to get you.

2. avatar Layne says:

This is true, remote firing is illegal. But as I recall, the law is not particularly detailed, to the point that a piece of string or a bullpup conversion stock for a 10/22 might actually be included in it.

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

where can I find this law?

4. avatar Adam says:

I would imagine that remote firing wasn’t brought up because it wouldn’t be particularly useful without being able to adjust the aim of the gun.

1. avatar James says:

A remote control, a microcontroller, and some servos and that problem is solved easy enough.

5. avatar Chris. says:

While the kill switch idea is scary, I must admit that the idea of a handgun sight tied to Google Glass seems pretty damned cool to me, I’m thinking not integrated to the firearms fire control system, but rather just an aiming device – and the mechanical trigger still does all the work.

Technology ain’t all bad….

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Technology is neutral. It’s the use to which it’s put that makes the difference.

6. avatar Patrick says:

Give me the stuff for free and I would try it out. No way am I going to spend the money though! Hah cool idea though

7. avatar John L. says:

Chris:

The biggest problem I would have with this is its being used in place of, rather than an augmentation to, training in the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Did you know the US Navy no longer teaches navigation with a sextant? It’s all based on the GPS systems now. Which is fine – more efficient, more accurate, works with autopilot, etc. – right up until the time an adversary disables the GPS satellite constellation, or a critical part thereof, through any of several means.

I’m by no means a Luddite, but I definitely trend towards maintaining failsafes in hardware, software and wetware.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I’ve got news for you – the constellation has been degrading constantly for some 20 years, and the Feds have been quietly and desperately lobbing more satellites into orbit to replace the broken/missing ones. Trouble is, we’re all running out of room up there, what with the broken and dead birds, the commo birds, the spy birds, the manned orbiters, and the plain old junk and trash in orbit. From us, the Russians, the Chinese, and lately the French, Koreans and Japanese.

8. avatar chris says:

They have high altitude balloons as back up for if the enemy destroys a satillite.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Naivete is a wonderful thing.

9. avatar PhoenixNFA says:

Remote triggers are classified as machine guns.

Unless it’s a really long string on a trigger (And not an m1 carbine or mini 14….) it won’t pass atf muster.

10. avatar Layne says:

I’d like to get my hands shot off only *very* slightly more than I’d like to get my face shot off.

11. avatar AnotherOne says:

I think these guys have already got it covered:

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

That was supposed to be funny, right? I mean, I’m not stepping on anybody’s toes by LMAO or anything?

12. avatar dh34 says:

It sort of already exists. Cobras and Apaches have the gun slaved to the gunner’s helmet and aimed with the targeting recticle.

13. avatar Russ Bixby says:

O Brave New World, that has such gizmos in it.

M’self, I don’t even own a scope.

14. avatar Lars says:

Trackingpoint is sure doing their best to keep the gun control machine coming, I’d guess they just keep coming anyway. But if we do have to give up something to the gungrabbers this tech will be first to go. Remote? lol One word, ILLEGAL.

15. avatar Rich Grise says:

In Red Alert Politics, http://redalertpolitics.com/2014/06/05/google-glass-tests-sweet-new-gun-app/ , they say a little more: “…While consumers can download the app to their smartphones and tablets, TrackingPoint, the company developing the app, told The Huffington Post they have no plans to release the Google Glass app to the public.” (emphasis mine)

Apparently it’s OK for the ruling elite and their enforcers, but not us subjects.

16. avatar DTAL says:

The disparity between the government’s enforcers and the citizens grows ever wider.

17. avatar Rusty Shackleford says:

There are at least 2 other companies that have been working on this same concept, except they won’t sell to us lowly civilians.