Question of the Day: Who’s Your Favorite Professional Shooter?

To quote John Prine, why, there was never really ever any doubt. To watch Kirsten Joy Weiss shoot, well, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, I was driving my Ferrari F355B around Brands Hatch. I was dialed-in. Caning it. Hell for leather. Nine-tenths. Red mist. Ragged edge. I thought I was really something. Holding steady on a sweeping left-hander I caught sight of a flash of blue out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head to see a guy in a Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth driving around me, four-wheel drifting all the way. He raised his gloved hand and tipped his helmet. So much for my driving abilities, then. Same with Weiss. Or Miculek. Watching them shoot is a lesson in humility, and an inspiration for excellence. So who’s your favorite professional shooter, past or present? [NB: To post a YouTube video in comments, just cut and paste the url.]

comments

1. avatar Tyler Kee says:

I don’t know if Mike Mers is pro per se, but his argyle sweaters and khakis are pretty cool.

2. avatar Jeremy says:

Jerry Miculek

3. avatar IdahoPete says:

Annie Oakley

4. avatar dwb says:

Jerry Miculek. No matter what he’s doing he always seems to be having fun. Get some!

5. avatar Jim Jones says:

Miculek for sure. Those skills are impressive. That upside down pinky revolver shot at 200 yards is one of the craziest thing I’ve ever seen.

1. avatar James Miller says:

+1,000 on that one. Never seen anything like it. Here I thought Hickok45 was the man for hitting that 85yd gong with pocket guns then Miculek does that trick. Incredible.

(btw, Hickok45 is still the man)

6. avatar MarcusAurelius says:

This guy from back east, he goes by “Vinny.” Er…maybe I shouldn’t talk about this openly.

Weiss. I’m a sucker for high precision shooting.

7. avatar Great Scot says:

Jerry Miculek, for sure. I cannot believe how fast that man can shoot!
    Kirsten Joy Weiss comes in close second. Se can shoot, shoot well, and look damn fine doing it! Can’t see many others doing that.

8. avatar Andy says:

Dave Sevigny.

1. avatar Mike Silver says:

Dave Sevigny, as well. I’ve seen him help and coach others many times. He’s a great guy and awesome ambassador for the sport and FN.

Jerry Miculek has an advantage that most don’t know. He’s fast. I RO’d him many years ago at a Area Match. I hit the buzzer and he was GONE. Normally, I’d say all I saw was heels and smoke, but honestly all I saw was smoke. I ran full speed to catch up to him. I think he knew that he left me behind because he turned around afterwards and gave me a big smile. He’s also mucho cool.

9. avatar Dr_elusive says:

In fairness, much like the Turbocharged SVO mustangs of the day, the Sierra Cosworth’s were wicked fast. Much faster than the spec’s might suggest. I have a Turbocharged mustang, and it will surprise many “faster” cars due to its light weight and small Rev happy engine.

10. avatar neiowa says:

Sure that was a Ford and not a Nash?

11. avatar Stinkeye says:

Miculek, hands down. No contest. That dude is a superhuman cyborg shooting machine.

12. avatar Heretical Politik says:

Not a professional, but Hickok45 is definitely my favorite. I identify with him the most as while I have a couple of modern firearms, the guns I really want are all historical pieces.

13. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Well, since you said past or present….
    Me

14. avatar Mark N. says:

Sorry, Kirsten, I have to go with jerry. You are a great shooter, and win the beauty contest hands down, but Jerry is just so superhuman in his speed and accuracy–and his entertainment value. “Get some!”

15. avatar Maineuh says:

Kirsten. She’s just damn delightful. I also enjoy Hickock for completely different reasons.

16. avatar danthemann5 says:

Jerry. I’ve learned so much by watching his videos, especially the slow motion shots.

17. avatar General Zod says:

How ’bout Carlos Hathcock? A USMC sniper counts as a professional shooter, right?

18. avatar KingSarc48265 says:

Like naming a favorite song, I can only narrow it down to a short list that is in no particular order.

Miculek.
    Munden.
    Knapp.

19. avatar jay1987 says:

It’s a tie between Jerry “the bionic granpa” Miculek & Kirsten Joy Weiss… He’s fast as all get out & she’s refreshing, for lack of a better term, she’s always so happy to shoot & excited about the challenges of shooting.

20. avatar J says:

Rob Romero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xfYtZOz81c

Now if Ms. Weiss took up USPSA, then perhaps I’d consider changing…

21. avatar Terry Warlock says:

Brian Enos and Rob Leatham. Both are incredible shooters who had and continue to have a huge impact on the shooting sports, and reading about their history together helping to evolve handgun techniques is fascinating reading. Both are super nice stand up guys too.

1. avatar J says:

Those two did an awful lot for the shooting sports. Enos’s book is excellent.

22. avatar Shire-man says:

Yosemite Sam

23. avatar Jeff says:

Jerry. All the way.

24. avatar Stacy says:

Benelli spokesman Tom Knapp with his benelli shotgun.

1. avatar Eric says:

Tom Knapp is an absolute studd with a shotgun. If you don’t know anything about him follow the link…RIP 2013

22plinkster of Youtube fame is pretty good too.

25. avatar surlycmd says:

Staff Sergeant Daniel Horner. He is the epitome of focus and determination.

26. avatar Stu Chisholm says:

I’d say that Munden was the best of all time. Of those alive, Jerry Miculek is the reigning king!

But for the women shooters, Imma hafta go with Julie Golob. All-time winningest female, but with a sense of humility seen in few champions.

27. Instructor Zero at COMMENT MODERATED Tactical

Second place, My son Nathan.

1. The above should read “Funker” not …you know.. sorry Matt can you fix it?

28. avatar S.CROCK says:

First choice should probably be Joe Biden second would be Hickok45.

Yes I count Hickok45 as a pro because if you can nail “the gong” at 80 yards with a j-frame, your a pro.

29. avatar Cknarf says:

JM, son.

30. avatar DrewR55 says:

… Err… What was the question?

31. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Me.
    I’m also a professional soccer player and a professional tennis player. I pay to play, so that makes me a professional….

32. avatar Larry says:

Working today it has to be Jerry.

But my heart belongs to some of the pro that went on the road for the gun and ammo company’s back in the 1920s 30s etc. I saw some of them when I was a kid in the 1950s and big memory I have of their shows was the pure joy of performing for us that they had. The show I recall best (though sadly not the name of the husband and wife team) was set up at a farm field with a lake behind it I think so they had the needed 1 mile + safe down range area as the show included a lot of targets shot in the air with .22 rim fire pump rifles as well as some with .22 pistol work… I think to spare our young ears with out the need of providing all of us with at the time hard to source ear plugs. But there were 4 scout and my Cub Scout troupe there and boy did we enjoy the show… Which by the way started with a section on safety… Then at the end of the show they selected about 20 of us to come up and be allowed to shoot their guns at some targets in sticks about 25 feet away… They tossed a bunch of the little blocks of wood that they had been using for thrown targets in to the audience and some of them had a red X on them if you caught one with the X you got to have a shooting lesson with them in front of your friends….
    And I caught one and at age 7 or 8 it made my day, week and month for while my dad had already started my shooting education Here I was getting to shoot in front of all my friends as well as the older Boy Scouts.
    There Was of course no eye protection or things like release forms back then, though of course our scout masters as well as a few of our parents were there with us.
    But what I most recall is the fun that that couple were having performing for us

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

That was probably the Topperweins.
      I have video of them. Fantastic shooters and ambassadors of the shooting sports.

Here’s a link of some of the greatest.

33. avatar Lolinski says:

Ed McGivern.

Thinking about buying his book. Can revolver tecniques be applied to semi-autos?

Now living I would say Jerry Miculek. Hope to be almost as good as him, I am quick though I am many years from that level of skill. Talent will only take you so far, gotta practice. Ain’t got much time/opportunity to practice 🙁

Also can’t forget hickok45, snubbie at 80 yards is impressive.

34. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

So many great men and women come to mind. The first though that is burned into my noggin is Tom Frye. Pro shooter for Remington he set world record of hand tossed wood blocks hit. Shot for 13 full days straight. Never forget reading about it in 1959 when I was a kid in Guns & Ammo.

The other t

1. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

Woops, post got clobbered by my Kindle…

The other shooter that is part of my childhood, is Thell Reed. As a young crew cut Marine he OWNED everything out there. He was involved in the Hollywood hey day of TV westerns teaching stars to shoot. There are a number of videos of him over on Youtube. He is still active in the industry today…

35. avatar Cyrano says:

In this order…

Herbert McBride
    Alvin York
    Carlos Hathcock
    Charles Mawhinney

Not for their showmanship but their ingenuity in making the shots they needed to. The four on this list fought the lack of equipment, weather, and designed their own mechanical improvements to aid their talent.

one more…Chuck Connors. Yes he was as good as his character with a real rifle. He was just that fast and accurate. No one has been like him with a lever action since.

1. avatar Carry.45 says:

Alvin York was the quintessential bad ass. Anyone who isn’t familiar with his story needs to google it.

36. avatar Col. Angus says:

Anybody with a sniper MOS….

37. avatar John K says:

Jesse Duff

38. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Jerry Miculek. 60 years old and he’s STILL the best in the world. I’m also 60 and can’t believe how fast he is. I don’t think there is any equivalent in any sport.

1. avatar lolinski says:

He still hasn’t beaten some of Ed McGivern’s records.

Kinda feels like discussing AR vs AK, just in regards to proffesional shooters.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yup. And Ed’s timers were part mechanical. (Makes me wonder just how fast he really was.
        I have his book and video of him.
        He could shoot like Jerry while standing on the running boards of a moving car.

1. avatar lolinski says:

How good is the book? Also can the techniques be applied to a semi-auto?

39. avatar Matt says:

Jerry and Hickok45 are amazing, of course.

I also like Frank Proctor from “Way of the Gun”

40. avatar Jon Wiggs says:

Bob Munden

41. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

I came up with a thought a number of years ago that with all the ridiculous stuff they put out in Hollywood they should make a movie where a professional shooter ends up taking on a drug cartel or something so there’d be a built in excuse for why the good guy was single handedly shooting an entire army to shreds. I’d still like to see that movie made and there’s only one guy I can see in the lead role and that’s Jerry Miculek. With his Smith and Wesson revolver and about 20 speed loaders. Maybe Kirsten Joy could land a role as his daughter who snipes the bad guys from the treeline.

42. avatar SAS 2008 says:

Jerry. He has so much fun and it is contagious.

43. No question about it:

There’s Jerry Miculek and then … there’s everyone else.

44. avatar Carry.45 says:

With my eyes closed and ears open Jerry Miculek reigns supreme. When the opposite is true Jessie Duff wins by a landslide

45. avatar That Jerk says:

It’s a toss-up between Miculek and McGivern for me. Both are [were] fast as hell and amazing marksmen.