Passively Constructed Negligent Discharge Story of the Day: Ice-T’s Grandson Edition

Ice-T and his grandson (courtesy philly.com)

The philly.com headline sure ain’t passive: Ice-T’s grandson arrested, accused of killing roommate. But the text soon lives up to our expectations of passivity when it comes to negligent discharges – especially when the shooter is a cop or a celebrity. In this case, the grandson of a TV cop. “Elyjah Marrow, 19, was playing around with a handgun in his apartment on Tuesday when it accidentally went off, fatally wounding pal Daryus Johnson. Marrow has been charged with involuntary manslaughter, possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and reckless conduct. He was also hit with possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute, and possession of a stolen firearm.” Why is it that so many of these NDs involve drug-addled criminals? You might say it has something to do with natural selection but I couldn’t possibly comment. [h/t Pascal]

comments

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

A young black man related to a famous gangster rapper accused of drug and gun crimes? Shocking and completely unexpected, I tell you.

1. avatar IthinkIhaveaProblem says:

Too bad it didn’t happen earlier, like three generations ago. Lest we for get I-Tea was the great artist that brought us the song “Cop Killer”. I hope they throw the book at this little P.O.S!

1. avatar BradN says:

Cut the guy some slack. He is an outspoken 2nd Amendment supporter and is actually quite an intelligent and honest guy.

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

yeah, he is a decent guy, cant hold him responsible if one of the grandkids turned out to be less then stellar citizen.

2. avatar neiowa says:

So is thugism nature or nurture? Either way grandpa dimwit is 2 levels up the family tree.

2. avatar Geoffrey says:

Cop killer was hyperbole. If you find it upsetting, you ought to find what the police do to be far more upsetting. That’s the point of the song, to bring hypocrites like you out into the light.

2. avatar HiddenHills says:

Looks like the ice cubes have melted in the tea.

1. avatar Fernando says:

What the?

1. avatar HiddenHills says:

He’s getting old. Nothing else.

2. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Ice-T is one rapper/actor, Ice Cube is another.

1. avatar HiddenHills says:

Yep. And irrelevant to my comment, as would be Vanilla Ice, or any other aging entertainer (?) whose moniker happens to include a synonym for “frozen water”.

3. avatar Snutty F says:

Cue race-related comments in 3, 2, 1….

1. avatar MudPuppy says:

You were 5 minutes too late.

2. avatar neiowa says:

So you’re profiling gangbangers as ________________ POS? Not so tolerant and inclusive of you. Nancy Pelosi may throw you off the Delusion island.

4. avatar Jay1987 says:

Well on the plus side he won’t be gone long… DA will probably drop the gun charges & probably downgrade the one on the stolen gun, in the end he’ll only go down for the pot. actually that’s just depressing…

1. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

According to federal law if a drug dealer has a firearm, there is a statute that mandates 5 years for the gun in addition to any time for other charges.
      Whether or not celebrity connections come into play, remains to be seen.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

Oh wow I didn’t know that… learn somethin new everyday

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

Don’t forget this happened in Filthadelphia. Federal statute Schmederal statute. He’ll cop a plea and get community service. Grandpa’s hooked up.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

No doubt he’ll get a sweetheart plea deal. Just spitballin to see what all the DA will drop/ downgrade to get that plea. I don’t think the drug charge will stay where it is they’ll probably drop it to a less serious possession, doing that they’ll drop the felony gun thing, the stolen gun will probably become possession of stolen property and the manslaughter is the only one that may stick. NOTE: I AIN’T A DOGGONE LAWYER

2. avatar neiowa says:

Now qualified to run for Mayor in the next election.

5. avatar Rich Grise says:

Stupid is as stupid does.

6. avatar Accur81 says:

Muzzle pointed in a safe direction? Nope.
    Finger off trigger? Nope.
    Gun loaded? Yep.
    Gun stolen? Maybe.
    Sure of target? Nope.
    Result? Death.

It looks like police are charging everything they can find, which is exactly what I would do in the event of a negligent death.

1. avatar jon says:

You forgot: high on drugs.

1. avatar Rambeast says:

I love these “high on drugs” comments from people that have never experienced the drug in question. I’ll enlighten you a little, smoking the wacky tobaccy doesn’t disorient you 1/100th as much as getting drunk. Get a clue before you spout off nonsense.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

They’re throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Cue Rev. Al in three… two…

7. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Modern firearms never accidentally go off. The trigger has to be pulled. With that said, trying to decock a firearm can accidentally discharge the firearm when not intended. But still the trigger does need to be pulled. Just my 2 cents worth.

1. avatar Alaskan Patriot says:

In the world of firearms, there are no accidents. There is only negligence.

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

You should remove the ammunition and its source before decocking then. If you don’t know how the firearm functions and how to operate it safely, then that’s operator error, not equipment deficiency. Regardless, had the other other rules been abided by, there’d still have been no injury. Quit blaming the guns!

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

“playing around with a handgun”
    Don’t be that guy…

9. avatar Steve Day says:

They were probably both practicing their gangsta pose and mouthing off obscenities (N*) at each other while completely stoned.

10. avatar Dennis says:

I like the House of Cards (original version) reference at the end of the article.

11. avatar former water walker says:

Why in the h#ll are any of you RAGGING on Ice T? He is pro2A & narrated a pro gun documentary last year. Direct your ire at some other worthy subject. Ice T is one of the good guys. I have no idea about his idiot grandson. I’m certain Ice T gained NO career advancement by siding with US.

1. avatar Snutty F says:

You know why….

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

Ice-T supports the Second Amendment but . . . Click here to read his views.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I’m guessing it’s about his grandson maybe?

12. avatar Jim R says:

Ice T’s ..GRANDSON?!

…F***, I feel old now.

1. avatar Julian says:

That was the first thing that came to my mind. Making it that much worse, it’s not like the grandson is 6, he’s a grown ass man.

1. avatar Gene says:

This just makes it worse. Man…

13. avatar former water walker says:

Yeah I sure do KNOW WHY. From an evil old white man married to a beautiful black woman.

Playing around with the gun? Maybe. Or maybe there was a dispute about drug profits. We will never know.

15. avatar Jay1987 says:

@FormerWaterWalker (since TTAG still ain’t fixed mobile replies) I wasn’t raggin on T personally I like the guy he’s turned out to be a decent actor (well better than LL Cool Jay anyway) & he’s pro 2A. then again I’m not all that old and don’t hold his gangsta rap days against him that’s just how he made money till he could get more “acceptable” employment and lets face it if rappers really rapped about true gang life or proper gun use rap wouldn’t rhyme and would be more boring than episodic spoken word opera performed by Ben Stein.

16. avatar Matt says:

Actually Ice-T is an avid 2nd Amendment supporter. Don’t knock him for something his grandson did. That’s like blaming us white folk for slaving 150 years ago!

17. avatar former water walker says:

I stand by what I said RF. I don’t expect every 2A supporter to agree. I think some OC demonstrators are acting like lunatics. I give IceT props for committing possible career suicide. No tea with Barry Soetero.and yes I clicked the link…

18. avatar GuyFromV says:

I like black guns just as much as I like grey and even maybe if I had to…silver ones.

19. avatar Carter Johnson says:

just another stupid nigger “playing” with a gun and someone else just happens to get killed………..any surprise there? not from me……………

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

wow.
      I normally support free speech, but….
      That, in my opinion, is truly offensive.

1. avatar GuyFromV says:

Boy, that escalated quickly.

2. avatar Alaskan Patriot says:

“Truly offensive” speech is subjective, and equally protected nonetheless. Hearing people advocate abortion and the homosexual agenda or preach Islam offends me, but I would never try to tell them they can’t do it.

1. avatar whatever says:

Free to speak, and free to be shown the door: http://xkcd.com/1357/

2. avatar S.CROCK says:

Lets get some comment moderated action up in here before this guy gives the other 99% of gun owners a horrible rep.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

+1 Seriously I got modded for a Team America quote and this slur gets through??? Kinda bass ackwards ain’t it?

3. avatar janklow says:

ah, good to see we’re doing our best to make gun owners look classy with both racial slurs AND justifications for racial slurs…

1. avatar Alaskan Patriot says:

What justification? I’ve not seen any published.

4. avatar Pantera Vazquez says:

Really? Stupid wasn’t enough? Why the derogatory racist remark?
      why even bother asking…….
      when a person shows their TRUE colors.

5. avatar Vhyrus says:

Not cool, dude. Not cool.

6. avatar Jus Bill says:

Really? I mean REALLY?

7. avatar Scrubula says:

Watch this one comment get pulled from the page while the 7 comments calling for the racist remark to be removed get ignored/cut out of the image.

8. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

I’d be offended, if only that didn’t sound like an old Ice-T lyric. Life imitating “art”, perhaps?

1. avatar C. Wesley Bryant says:

The circumstances surrounding this tragedy are, from certain perspectives, “Straight Outta Compton.”

2. avatar whatever says:

Should we pull out some old rock lyrics while we’re at it?

9. avatar Tom from Georgia says:

Carter, I think that the black culture has a lot of problems and a lot of black people refuse to look in the mirror and all that but there is simply nothing constructive to be gained by that kind of language, even in a fit of pique. Even if it came to pass that old man Tracy just screwed the pooch somehow on this, which I doubt. Remember, he’s his GRANDfather. So far as I’m aware, his grandson wasn’t living in his house. (Somebody feel free to update or correct me if I’m wrong.). Criticism is essential and entirely appropriate here, but only if you use your own head in the meantime. I’d say most of the gun haters are the real racists in all this, but you being a pinhead is only going to advance their cause, especially when the media deliberately smears all of us with your ignorant language (and trust me, they will).

Tom

1. avatar jamesii says:

White culture has a few problems of its own also.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Including electing Barak Hussein Obuma? Think this was because of the color of his skin or despite the color of his skin?

2. avatar Tom from Georgia says:

All too true, jamesii….all too true. Lord knows I dealt with so many tweakers at that Hellmart back in Misery it wasn’t the slightest bit funny. And if I’d owned my LCP/CCW permit while still in their employ you can be damn sure I would have carried it each and every night, too.

neiowa’s comment is also all too true. The fact is that millions of white (and Hispanic, and so on) citizens voted for Obama for all too selfish, shallow, ignorant reasons….in other words, all the wrong reasons. There’s no other way he could have been elected. And his presidency has been pretty much everything I’ve expected and worse. Race didn’t have anything to do with it. Stupidity, writ large, did.

Tom

3. avatar whatever says:

@neiowa I figure about as much as Neo-Confederate sympathizers voted for that grabber Romney because *only* because he was not black. Blacks switched sides and started voting Democrat right about the time most of the Dixiecrats switched sides and became hardened Republicans, and both sides keep voting for the same pandering crooks over the same culture-war nonsense. “A pox on both their houses.”

20. avatar AW1Ed says:

What’s grandson’s name, 1-DMF?

1. avatar whatever says:

That earned a LOL.

21. avatar DrewN says:

Man that “possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony” is one of the broadest, most badly written p.o.s. laws ever enacted. I remember an elderly farm couple who were growing a couple plants (because one of them was undergoing chemo) get nailed with that one. For a 12 gauge and a .22 in the hall closet. On a farm.

1. avatar Scrubula says:

It exists because when the bill demanding it was written, convicted criminals were polled and 70 or 80% said they were less likely to use a firearm in a crime when the punishments had a minimum time.

Should probably be revised to only include violent crime, but in his case I think it won’t make a huge difference.

22. avatar Darkstar says:

Perfect example of avoiding stupid people in stupid places doing stupid things.

1. avatar whatever says:

Or it’s corollary, “Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.”

23. avatar Hannibal says:

I could swear I’ve seen this exact story, minus the names, on TTAG before (including the drug addled comment).

24. avatar Shire-man says:

Coco-T is a GILF.

25. avatar Rambeast says:

So much for personal responsibility. Most in this thread seem to want to blame the grandfather for an album he wrote decades ago. Pathetic on a level up there with the antis. Keep it classy.

26. avatar Jeff G says:

How about cutting the guy a little slack till we hear the facts of the case. It could of been just another careless accident with an over zealous prosecutor piling on charges on top of charges because hes black and the relative of a celebrity. Don’t trust the police to tell you the truth, they only tell you what they want you to believe.

27. avatar former water walker says:

Coco Austin is 35 years old. A MILF…not a GILF. But she is awesome.

28. avatar former water walker says:

Why MODERATION? Do you know what GILF MEANS?????????????

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

“Do you know what GILF MEANS?”

Glands I’d Love to Fondle?

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

Nope…grandma

29. avatar Geoffrey says:

one more reason – among the thousands of other reasons every year – to ban all firearms.