Google AdWords To Ban Ammo Ads. Maybe.

Screen Shot 2014-06-28 at 4.30.15 PM

“Beginning in September, Google plans to block firearm, ammunition, and gun accessory ads,” breitbart.com reports, forgetting to mention the policy only affects Google AdWords. And that they’re proposed plans. Anyway, “According to Google Support’s Dangerous Products or Services page, the company ‘won’t allow the promotion of some products or services that cause damage, harm, or injury.'” Some? But not others? The guns & parts section bans AdWord ads for . . .

“functional devices that appear to discharge a projectile at high velocity, whether for sport, self-defense, or combat.” Appear to? Talk about setting a low bar. Also verboten: “any part or component that’s necessary to the function of a gun or intended for attachment to a gun” including “gun scopes, ammunition, ammunition clips or belts.”

FWIW Google won’t let firearms websites use AdWords. I’m thinking there ain’t gonna be any change there. [h/t DrVino]

comments

1. avatar Ah Clem says:

Given Google’s cozy relations with the NSA, I’d think they’d want to keep track of who clicks on these ads.

2. Let’s start a list of what needs to fall under this policy:

Sharp pointy things.
    Cars and car parts.
    Skateboards.
    Pogo sticks.
    Bars of soap.
    Banana peels.

etc.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

Knives fall under the new policy, too, so there’s your “sharp pointy” things.

Minus the ski poles…

2. avatar Full Cleveland says:

I’m starting to put on the years. Can we ban getting old? If I keep on like this it’s gonna kill me.

3. avatar Kevin says:

I sell once fired military brass & they banned me from Adwords about 6 months ago. After 3 months of trying, I just stopped trying. My site is still banned for violating this policy already. Google is as anti 2A as Bloomberg. Google is evil as they come.

4. avatar DJ9 says:

Knives are included, too.

It’ll be interesting to see if they try to separate the ninja/combat knives from the steak/fishing knives, or if they’ll just go U.K. and ban them all (perhaps based on size).

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Let’s not get into the “size of my implement” argument here, OK?

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Let’s see how the very high end culinary shops like Williams-Sonoma react to this…

5. avatar 80 D says:

No, it’s google protecting us from the NSA. Do no evil amiright?
    /sarc

6. avatar Colby says:

Fine. Instead of using google, I’ll go around google and someone else will get the marketing money google missed its chance at, and I’ll still get what I want.

Google’s loss, not mine.

7. avatar Paco says:

Google tracks everything you do online, this is is surprising that this “news” surprises anyone.

1. avatar Steve Truffer says:

No, they record everything you give them. If you want to cut out Google, don’t use Chrome’s omnibox, and Use Yandex for your online services.

8. avatar Steve says:

Nice that the champion of freedom of information is now running their own restrictions. Sad.

1. avatar Full Cleveland says:

Exactly. Although Google always did have an elitist outlook. Research the initial investors. They must have sung a lot of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

” We can chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange the world.
      Rearraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange the world.”

9. avatar Joseph says:

Well, I guess it’s okay since the Fed will subsidize what income is lost triple over or would that be bloomberg will compensate?? No one thinks it much of a deal but it’s the first drop of rain from a huge thunder cloud… We as consumers need to show them that, that would not be in their best interest… As that no one either uses Google AdWords or makes purchases through for because of Google AdWords…. Punishment through monetary systems is how the Government and vendors have herded, intimidated, persecuted, and in the end forced the American People for the last 150 yrs… I think we should start using their own battle plan… I bet they don’t have any defense for it…

10. avatar BigDinVT says:

OK so starting in September, if I use google to search for firearms or firearms related products, I won’t get a bunch of Firearms or Firearms related adverts with my search results.

Wow, I’m really sad about that. (sarc)

They can start their new policy today for all I care. In fact, I’d be tickled pink if they’d quit delivering ALL adds with my search results.

I have a HUGE objection to any service provider who pretends to be objective and then tries to control my opinions by either blocking or inserting content in a manner THEY feel is morally responsible.

Ironic, I usually read this forum on my Android OS device. Perhaps it’s time to join the Dark Side – buy a Windows tablet and start using Bing as my search engine.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

You can install a third-party FOSS kernel on your device any time you want. There are several.

Me, I [configure my OS and apps to lie to them] and use their own tools against them. Great fun at parties.

11. avatar A-Rod says:

Wow! How does Gander Mountain, Cabela’s, Dick’s, Bass Pro, etc feel about this?

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Hopefully they chime in, loudly.

2. avatar Scottlac says:

That was my first reaction. Google is setting themselves up for a lawsuit in federal court. They are interfering with ads in interstate commerce that are legally bought and paid for and advertising legal products. I hope they lose big.

3. avatar Geoff PR says:

And the Pampered Chef, Williams-Sonoma, etc…

12. avatar Larry says:

What are the realities of using Bing rather than google?

1. avatar JasonM says:

Duck Duck Go
      “The search engine that doesn’t track you.”

1. avatar Indiana Tom says:

I gave up on liberal PC search engines and switched to Duck Duck Go.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

BS. The keystrokes just go to the NSA via the Microsoft cloud instead of the Google cloud.

I recommend StartPage or DuckDuckGo, to name just a couple. And “https everywhere” is your friend.

2. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Bing seems to work well.

1. avatar Scrubula says:

Indeed, I use bing 90% of the time.
        Unless you are searching for really weird or obscure stuff it works just as well as google.

13. avatar Sammy says:

Are they banning cars, swimming pools, hammers, etc? More targeted harassment from Mikey UN.

14. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Is this the same socially liberal company named Google that turns out is overwhelmingly white and male but preaches and tries to impose forced liberal group-think on the resut of us? Oh, that’s right. Some animals are more equal than others

15. avatar JasonM says:

Stop using google.
    I switched to Duck Duck Go for searches a while ago.
    I use my mac email address over my gmail one, safari over chrome, etc.

1. avatar bigfinger76 says:

This is good advice. You can try DuckDuckGo or StartPage, neither tracks you.

1. I use Startpage https://startpage.com ixquick https://www.ixquick.com which powers Startpage and also DuckDuckGo https://duckduckgo.com None of the three track you at all.

I also keep Google AdWords blocked on all my web browsers. (Except Internet Explorer which is as bad a privacy breach as Google is.)

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I used to describe IE to my IT Security students as “A bag of bugs with a GUI in front of it.”

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

Jus Bill – That would be “undocumented features”, not “bugs”…

2. avatar Publius says:

Which, if you’re okay with being limited to functionality that’s a decade old, that’s fine. I’m not willing to return to the 90’s just because Google doesn’t like guns. Plus, I don’t pay for anything from Google, nor am I an ad-clicker, so it’s not like there’s any money lost to them if I’d boycott.

16. avatar Gary says:

Firearm related Google ads are very prominent on Guns.com, and I’m sure that’s very lucrative for Google. It should be interesting to see if they make exceptions for their big earners. Google has several different ad network programs, and the Pro Google ads are subject to different rules and restrictions than the standard Adwords account.

17. avatar George says:

Use duckduckgo.com for your searches. They don’t keep track of everything for the sake of their profits like Google does.

Any other civil rights Google doesn’t like or just this one?

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Probably the 4th amendment.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Pretty much all of the ones they don’t exploit.

18. avatar Hannibal says:

Since I don’t like google’s ad system anyway…

19. avatar mirgc says:

So I guess that also applies to bows, airsoft, paintball, etc

20. avatar Paco says:

Startpage is another search engine that doesn’t track you, at least they claim not to.

21. avatar Jeff says:

I was looking for a place earlier today to send google an email regarding their plans and their interpretation of “dangerous things” but couldn’t find an addy for it.

22. avatar The Trouble with Timbo says:

No problem.

For now on handguns will be referred to as “Kittens”

For now on rifles will be referred to as “Puppies”

Shotguns will be referred to as “Unicorns”

Ammo will be referred to as “feed” for either “Kittens” “Puppies” or for “Unicorns”

And #google can kiss my big white hairy …

1. avatar Gunr says:

I think the word your searching for is “ASS”
      There, I said it, and you didn’t have to!

2. avatar Geoff PR says:

“A Basket of Kittens”…

23. avatar Accur81 says:

I use Duck Duck Go as my default search engine after having issues with Startpage. If Google blocks gunbot and ammoseek, then I just use something else. Ah, free (well free-ish) market. If there is a demand, someone will fill it. Everything else is really just “guidelines.”

24. avatar LJM says:

Al Gore invented the Google-webz what do we expect.

25. avatar Davis Thompson says:

For my last Google search I Googled “best non-Google search engine” and found Ixquick.

So long, Schmidt.

I hereby ban Google AdWords and any products or services that Adblock Plus doesn’t already ban.

1. avatar FedUp says:

I ban all content from all Google domains, including youtube.
      It took a while to set up the filters on my home network.

If it breaks a few pages, I’ll just have to let the administrators know why I won’t be browsing there.

2. avatar Raul Ybarra says:

That sums it up for me, pretty nicely.

27. avatar Mister Fleas says:

Google’s evil is far beyond its attempts at gun grabbing.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Isn’t it funny how the owner of a monopoly squeals when it’s broken?

28. avatar Jandrews says:

California based company founded by two Standford-educated PhDs guys.

I love Google in many ways, but I can almost guarantee the culture there is firearm hostile.

29. avatar FedUp says:

And yet every page at keepandbeararms.com contains this little script:

This page at thetruthaboutarms.com has several minor pieces of Google content, including the site search function and fonts.

30. avatar DaveC79 says:

Use Bing. I started using it a little over a year ago, I can’t tell that I’ve lost anything by doing it.

Another tip, if you search for videos using bing, the ad’s at the beginning of youtube videos are disabled.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Bing just steers you into and through the Microsoft ecosystem, which is roughly the same as Google and Apple. Say Hi to the folks in Utah for me – tell them retirement is great!

1. avatar DaveC79 says:

So this is all about the NSA now? Not being tracked? It’s clear that my point was to remind people that they have options, and that bing is a strong competitor to google.

DuckDuckGo a better option because of other reasons? Why not just say that? The internet dick in you was just too strong, you couldn’t help yourself.

31. avatar John in Seattle says:

Well, the nice thing that came of this is that I found and am now using DuckDuckGo….nice little search engine that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And a special thanks to the PotG for the info!

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Load up the https everywhere extension too, while you’re at it. No sense in going halfway.

32. avatar former water walker says:

I am old & and not in any way a tech guy. I got on DuckDuckgo & it worked but was extremely slow( on android ). Anyone know why? I did use BING when the TTAG MALWARE thing happened but it only worked on android. Whatever…good to see options. But what the h#ll yandex? I’m going to use a RUSSIAN server?!? No thank you.

33. avatar Rich says:

Do not use Google as a search engine. Use IXQUICK. Its based out of the country, its all encrypted, and does not keep any seach info. A private search engine.

34. avatar RE Hafner says:

To hell with google, there are many more search engines available.

35. avatar medziokle says:

And how about hunting guns, knives and other hunting goods?

36. Do you know, if i will use adwords for my knives website, will i get ban from google?