Maybe There’s a Good Reason the ChiComs Didn’t Arm Their Cops Sooner

A handgun went off during a police safety talk at a kindergarten in the central Chinese city of Zhengzhou on Thursday, injuring four adults and one child, police said.” You may remember that the central committee recently relented, agreeing to issue some of Shanghai’s flatfeet six-shooters, the better to nip mass stabbings in the bud. Looks like the new program’s been extended to the Middle Kingdom’s flyover country, too. “The injuries were minor, the statement said. It said two police officers involved were confined as an internal punishment by the department, and that a deputy director, a squad chief and an instructor had been suspended.” There’s apparently no truth to the rumor that the Chinese brass had hired Lee Paige to train their officers on the finer points of safe gun handling and community outreach.

comments

1. avatar Former Water Walker says:

If nobody has a gun why don’t they just give ’em bigger knives than the so-called badguys?

2. avatar PeterC says:

They can’t drive, either.

1. avatar Yellow Devil says:

…but it’s controlled chaos so it works. It’s not like here in the west when certain people can’t drive while others can, causing huge problems. When everyone breaks the law, it tends to equalize everything.

3. We all know the officer was executed.

1. avatar sean says:

And chopped up for his organs which were sold for nice profit.

4. avatar Bud says:

yes, but they screwed the pooch on making dog food too

5. avatar Dempsterdumpster says:

“…injuring four adults and one child…” Now that’s what I call going off!

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

And how in the world do you injure four people with one negligent discharge? Did he have them stand in line?

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Hmmmm,
        Sum ting wong

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Gun go bang?!

Ho Li shit!

2. avatar Hannibal says:

Maybe it’s hearing damage.

3. avatar CA.Ben says:

If the bullet hit a metal surface (desk leg maybe), then it would have sent shards of metal flying in all directions.

4. avatar William Burke says:

😀 Thank you for giving voice to what we were all thinking!

2. avatar GuyFromV says:

Enfilade fire?

3. avatar S.CROCK says:

Maybe peoples ears were injured. That would explain how so many people were injured.

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Actually, that’s a pretty reasonable explanation. I was thinking the bullet discharged directly toward the floor and shattered, spreading schrapnel into the several people. Could go either way.

6. avatar VF77 says:

…and it just ‘went off’ huh? Damn guns, have to keep an eye on them. They tend to like to jump out of their holsters and just go off sometimes.

1. avatar Gene says:

They have that weird safety on them, too. That takes quite a leap to believe it just went off.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

I don’t have any safeties on my revolvers, Glocks, or my Sig 227.

1. avatar Bob says:

Every gun should have Four Safeties. Also called the four rules of gun safety. Always follow them, and your gun will never hurt anyone.

7. avatar Billy says:

Considering I hear they’re armed with 9mm REVOLVERS… I’m very interested to know how it just “went off” much less got that many people.

8. avatar BillF says:

“There’s apparently no truth to the rumor that the Chinese brass had hired Lee Paige to train their officers on the finer points of safe gun handling and community outreach. ”

Didn’t hire him–just used his video as a training aid on gun handling in a classroom environment without reading the disclaimer.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Sure, just download and distribute the video just like everything else so far.

2. avatar ThomasR says:

Yep; Lee Paige, “I (A DEA agent) am the only one professional enough to carry this gun” (BANG) Thought bubble (Sh-T! I just shot myself in the leg!)

This video never gets old, Figures it was a DEA agent.

9. avatar Aaron says:

“the bullet struck the ground, sending up sparks and cement that hit the arms and legs of bystanders”

I guess it’s possible…

1. avatar Hunter57dor says:

with that puny round?

“oh yeah, im *cough* injured.”

I think throwing the gun at the assailant would be more effective.

1. avatar James R says:

Good thing they weren’t .45ACP revolvers or half of the people in the building would be dead.

10. avatar Alpo says:

I’m guessing some kind of frangible ammo or shot shells with pieces/BBs bouncing all over the place.

11. avatar Drew says:

This is still better than responding to 39 dead bombing victims by requiring owners of lighters and matches to be registered with their government. Seriously, heard it on NPR. Even THEY thought that was a bit silly. Just a bit though.

1. avatar Lolinski says:

Which country was that? The lighters and matches registration.

I wouldn’t trust NPR, wouldn’t trust anyone in the media.

12. avatar David says:

And a firearm has never discharged acidentally during a training class in America? Come on people dont act like your s**** don’t stink.

1. avatar rosignol says:

You don’t have the faintest idea who Lee Paige is, do you?

Google. It’s on youtube.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

Hell, just click on the name in the article. It’s a link to youtube.

1. avatar William Burke says:

For your convenience.

13. avatar Rick says:

“I am the onry one in this loom professiono enough…”

(Oh, c’mon! You knew someone was gonna say it!)

14. avatar Lolinski says:

I am glad they suspended the ones responsible, unlike in western countries where all that happens is that they get a two week paid vacation.

1. avatar DaveL says:

With China, I can’t help but wonder whether “suspended” was a mistranslation.

“Suspended with pay?”

“No. Just with rope. “

1. avatar lolinski says:

I don’t know, just know that when you mess up you should take the consequences of it. Unlike the cops in the western world. Here in Norway a couple of cops left a FA MP5 (with two mags in it) on the front seat of their car while getting coffee, they also let the door stay open. What happened to them? Nothing. Yet, when I buy a gun I need to buy a safe for it or suffer the consequences (fine or losing gun-rights, not sure which).

Also it doesn’t help that 60% of cops aren’t qualified to use guns (or was it 40%, I am not sure). No matter which number it was it isn’t good news IMO.

1. avatar William Burke says:

How did they get two mags in it?

2. avatar Lolinski says:

Mag coupler, one in the gun, one right next to it. Gives you 60 rounds with nothing else but the gun.

15. avatar ST says:

What a depressing state of affairs when China has better discipline then our own LE officers.

I doubt they’ll have to deal with a defamation suit afterward either.

16. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Remember to not insert bullets (a) into slot (d). After then safe making fingers for enjoyment of new firearm.
    Holster must use when not in hand. (Figure 3).
    Many years of happy enjoyment!
    Bang Ding Ow Ltd.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

can’t stop laughing

17. avatar Jus Bill says:

“… two police officers involved were confined as an internal punishment by the department, and that a deputy director, a squad chief and an instructor had been suspended.”

As in jailed, I suspect. Obviously there’s no police union in the Workers Paradise.

18. avatar AznMike says:

Damn, I hope I don’t get shot by these guys while i’m there. My question is how does one ND with the Norinco revolver? Don’t these things also have a manual safety?

19. avatar TinC says:

I’m sure I won’t be the first to say this, but…

Guns don’t just go off. Some outside force can cause a gun to fire, such as a cop’s booger picking appendage. I could even accept that a hot chamber “cooked one off”, but despite AP’s BS reporting, this sounds like a negligent discharge caused by the cop that was handling it.

1. avatar Hunter57dor says:

Yeah, maybe he decided a hot plate was a safe place to set it.

20. avatar Bob says:

“A well regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free State…” The founders knew that you can’t just create people who know how to shoot out of thin air. They need to come from a community that has trained them for many years.

The Chinese don’t have such a community, so they are having trouble finding people who can handle guns correctly.

21. avatar SelousX says:

“Went off”, like all on its own? Wow, it’s a fvcking epidemic. My G19 Gen 4 just “went off” the other day, taking the key to my spare car as it was screaming something about being tired of all my crap and needing a deck of smokes. It came back six hours later smelling like it had been ‘well-used’, threw an open pack of Trojans and a half-smoked deck of Camel non-filters on the coffee table, mumbled something about cleaning the back seat in the morning, then went to sleep on my night stand.
    I think my Walther PPS is going to be getting more use these days.
    😉