It Should’ve Been A Defensive Gun Use: Crashing Boar Edition

Russia hearts gun control. D’uh. How could ruling Mother Russia’s oligarchs and government tyrants maintain their stranglehold on power if the citizenry were armed? So, really, this video about a wild boar attacking Russian “peasants” and their feeble efforts to kill the thing could have been a This Is What Happens to A Disarmed Populace post. But I shared an animal attack story under that heading yesterday (out of the People’s Republic of California). So let’s go with “it should have been a defensive gun use.” Because, really, when a wild animal is attacking – no matter how many legs it has – a gat is a good thing to have. In case you didn’t know.

comments

1. avatar Conway Redding says:

Actually, they seem to have taken the creature out with that kitchen sink or whatever it was they hit it with. Gee, I thought wild boars were tougher than that.

1. avatar jon says:

Hit anything in the head with something hard enough, and it doesn’t matter how much muscle it/he has. The impact causes the brain to rattle around in the skull and cause a concussion, knocking the person/animal out.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I’m not sure. It looks like the car with the camera drove over the thing near the 26 second mark.

1. avatar jon says:

well, yes, it was run over as well, that thing they hit it with probably did not kill it, just shocked it or knocked it out.

2. avatar Bob12 says:

I watched a documentary about these animals a few months ago. These things are touch as nails and deadly. Apparently, the number of these things running wild in the US is substantial, and that number is raising exponentially. They made it sound like within a few decades, these things will be running wild nearly everywhere in the US.

2. avatar MotoJB says:

That video was awesome…I say don’t give them guns so we have more wonderful videos like this from mother Russia! LOL, What did the guy hit the pig with? The top of a toilet? That pig got KTFO! Mmmmm, bacon for everyone tomorrow!

3. avatar Conway Redding says:

Gee, they seem to have taken the critter out effectively with that kitchen sink, or whatever it was they hit it with. It’s just lying there with its legs twitching. I thought wild boars were tougher than that.

4. avatar C Wesley Bryant says:

It should have been bacon!

1. avatar Colby says:

I’m betting it ended up that way judging by how poor that village looked. I know I’ve had my share of wild pig BBQ.

5. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Maybe he’s auditioning for a law enforcement job here in the States being that it looked like he took the dog out, instead of the boar, on his first pass.

6. avatar T says:

I know if a wild boar is coming at me, it’s gonna be a good barbecue dinner that night.

That guy showed serious stones running up on a boar with nothing in his hands but plumbing equipment.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Indeed. I thought they handled themselves quite well, all things considered. There was a problem causing real, tangible danger to the people and kids in the neighborhood. The men handled it. I can’t fault them for anything.

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Instead of the “Mozambique Drill”
    It was the “Lada Grill”
    That was a big porker!

9. avatar KCK says:

I live in a small town 12K, work in Madison 250K
    Where I roam the chance of running into a pit bull on the loose is greater than a thug, but then, isnt that reason enough to carry?
    Wild boars, not so much.
    Pit bull, loose no leash, low ready at the minimum.

Yeah Yeah its the owners, who gives a flying fck WHY they are dangerous.

1. avatar KCK says:

BTW if there IS a leash, there’s usually a thug on the other end anyway.
      In my experience.

10. avatar Doug In The Ozarks says:

It’s a VEPR!!!

11. avatar Rich Grise says:

It looked like the driver was attempting a Defensive Car Use.

12. avatar Paul53 says:

Fudd’s first law of opposition; if you hit something hard enough, it WILL fall over.

Fort Bliss Rod and Gun Club has wild boar sausage, hard to believe something so fugly tastes so good!

13. avatar S.CROCK says:

That video was actually sad because of the way the boar died. I know they did what they had to do to protect themselves, but still sad. It would have been nice if they could have pulled out their 30-30 truck gun and ended it that way.

14. I think RF needs some help in coming up with alternative words for guns. “Gat” is repeated far, far too often.

Here’s some suggestions:

1. bisquit (any pistol)
    2. neena (9mm)
    3. 4 pounder (.45)
    4. dessert eeez (dessert eagle)
    5. toolie (any gun)
    6. pipe (any gun)
    7. tray duece (.32)
    8. tray eight (.38 )
    9. burner (any pistol)
    10. sawwdi (sawed off shotgun)
    11. tekk (any intertech gun)
    12. AK (ak-47)
    13. Gat (any pistol)
    14. Plastic (any glock pistol) ie “i showed him the plastic B4 i let it pop”
    15. Fo’ five (.45)
    16. AR (ar-15)
    17. mack (mac-10 or mac-11 sub machine gun)
    18. gauge (any shot gun)
    19. mossy (mossberg shotgun)
    20. heater (any pistol)

Special
    Sixgun
    Pocket warmer
    Persuader
    Equalizer

1. avatar Conway Redding says:

A veritable Roget’s for the firearms enthusiast. Thanks.

2. avatar S.CROCK says:

Tech- Tech 9
      Chopper- AK-47
      Mac- Mac 10/11

But no. I like his somewhat common usage of gat. I have found myself saying it more.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

Once, in an effort to sound kewl, I used “hand piece.”

15. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Holy crap! That dude f*cked that pig up with a toilet seat.

16. avatar BoulderRick says:

“But I shared an animal attack story under that heading yesterday (out of the People’s Republic of California”

That would be People’s Republic of Colorado

1. avatar tdiinva says:

More like the People’s Republic of Boulder.

17. avatar tdiinva says:

The Russian peasants showed the same fighting spirit that grandfathers showed fighting back against the Fascist hoards during the Great Patriotic War.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

If only they could still have their mosins, PPSH41’s and Dshka’s. Oh what I’d give for a PPSH.

2. avatar neiowa says:

There were NKVD thugs standing off camera with a gun on them (and one way tickets to Kolyma mines)?

18. avatar JJVP says:

Should have called this guy.

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

D:

WTF? In soviet russia, f*cks don’t give you!

2. avatar Yellow Devil says:

It was for show and tell. Just imagine the awesome points his kids got from the others.

19. Did they have a neighborhood BBQ after?

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

My mouth is watering. I would love to chow down on some BBQ wild boar. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve had any.

20. avatar JoshtheViking says:

It is sad that the Russian people still are, for the most part, kept from being armed. Unlike most unarmed peoples, Russians seem to have a very commendable fighting spirit (kill a wild boar with a toilet lid? I would be afraid to go after one with anything less than a .308).

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Serious question: is a .44 Magnum shooting full power 240 grain soft points less or more than a .308 Winchester 150 grain rifle round? For discussion let us assume a 6+ inch barrel on the .44 Mag. and a beast that is only 10 feet away.

I know the muzzle velocity and energy of the .308 Win. dwarf a .44 Magnum. And yet I cannot imagine any beast in the U.S. shrugging off one round but promptly succumbing to the other. In other words, does the huge diameter and mass of the .44 Magnum bullet make it just as effective at stopping a beast as a .308 Winchester?

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

That’s a very good question….

2. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Oy, word problems. Which one is on the train leaving west out of Cincinnati at 50 mph?

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

I hope the train floats!

3. avatar Full Cleveland says:

You can drop a boar quickly with one shot from a 44 mag but a rifle is more effective at killing a boar than either a 44 mag revolver or a 12 gauge slug. Don’t know why but a rifle (308) seems to stop them in their tracks the fastest when hunting. If you are slaughtering in a pen a 22 will work.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

I speculate that it’s the deeper penetration. In my mind I see about 3-5″ for the fat ones and an almost through shot.with the rifle. I don’t know how that would drop them faster, unless all the organ damage would work that quickly. Bot I’d expect the fat slugs to sap more kinetic energy from a charge., i.e., if he’s running at you, the fatter rounds (in my mind) would slow him down more.

21. avatar New Continental Army says:

Putin will see this and have toiletry equipment banned.

22. avatar Full Cleveland says:

I see real opportunity for somebody who knows how to make a good spear.

23. avatar Excedrine says:

Wild boars are mean little bastards here in NC and holy shit do they get big, too. When you’re hunting for them, you’d better not expose any skin if you can help it. Why? They’ll actually eat meat — your meat if they can get at it.

24. avatar Tominator says:

I was kind of ‘root’in’ for the hog….

OTOH, notice the landscape of a typical Russian town. No real roads. No sidewalks. No storm drains. NO GUNS…..this is how the Liberal Progressives believe everyone should live.
    I know several Russians…they LOVE it here in the US!

25. avatar FoRealz? says:

Maybe they can legally own some of these:

Cold Steel Boar Spear

Works on cougars too.

As for the guys in the vidja.

Balls. They has em.

26. avatar Clem says:

I guess life in a little Russian village ain’t so *boaring after all.

In Soviet Russia you kill boardom if boardom doensn’t kill you.

….Ugghhh, lets see….

….nope, that’s all I got.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

In Soviet Russia, boredom dies of you!

27. avatar lolinski says:

You guys do know Russians can own guns? Not pistols but short rifles and shotguns aren’t out. Also, it is clear that this is a rural town/village. Those commonly don’t have sidewalks and skyscrapers.

NOTE: I am not particularily fond of Russians but I prefer honesty. The ignorance about the state of other countries is truly surprising especially when you consider that the writers of this blog are supposed to be journalists (maybe not educated as such, but they still are).

1. avatar Yellow Devil says:

At no point do the authors on this blog (best to my knowledge) claim to be “journalists”. They are commentators. So I do give them a little slack on not knowing every single country’s firearm laws.

28. avatar Yellow Devil says:

Well, Boars are tough no doubt. They did give the Colonial British lots of trouble in Africa during the Boar Wars.

/sarcasm I know. It was the Boer Wars.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

“sarcasm”
      Yeah, I know, but it was still a pretty good groaner. 🙂