Weekend Digest: Somebody Notice Me! Edition

(courtesy 10news.com)

I wonder if there’s a more emasculating experience for a would-be burglar than being held at gunpoint by a naked senior citizen. That’s what happened to a man who broke into a San Diego man’s home early Tuesday morning. Keith Groves heard a couple crashing sounds at 4:22 a.m. and jumped out of bed to see the kitchen window broken and the garage door open. He sleeps without clothes, but didn’t bother to grab anything but his handgun. (Click on the image above or here for the video. Sorry ladies, no nudity.) He went outside to find a guy standing next to his classic ’32 Ford Roadster smoking a cigarette. He said he tried to be as “bad looking” as he possibly could, telling the guy to freeze and yelling to his neighbor to call the cops. A few minutes later, he heard sirens, and the bad guy was carted off to jail. Groves says from now on he’ll keep a pair of shorts by the bed.

A Connecticut man, who would probably consider himself an ally of ours, has been charged with inciting injury to a person or property and second-degree threatening for allegedly threatening the life of CT Governor Dannel Malloy. The Register-Citizen article makes sure to point out that David C. Ragozzine is a “gun enthusiast who had the weaponry to carry out an attack,” a proponent of free speech, and a prepper while telling us about the Facebook post in which Ragozzine made a veiled threat against Malloy, saying the governor needs to be “taken out.” Although Ragozzine later backpedaled from his statement, saying it was misunderstood, the actual quote — “We need violence, we need to take out the scumbags. Locally, Malloy needs to be taken out. He must pay in blood for the crimes he has committed…” — sorta belies his denial. In the meantime, he’s been ordered to not possess any weapons, not to use computers, and to have no contact with the governor or the governor’s office. As far as being a confederate of mine, if he thinks that’s the case he’s in for a rude awakening.

From The Tactical Wire – West Valley City, UT- SilencerCo and Noveske Rifles announce a multi-faceted partnership to make the best rifles in the world even better. To start with, every Noveske rifle going forward will feature a SilencerCo muzzle device – Trifecta RS flash hider or muzzle brake – ready to mount a SilencerCo silencer. The first Noveske rifle (8.2″ 300BLK Gen 3) featuring a SilencerCo muzzle device was auctioned this past weekend at the NRA/ILA live auction in conjunction with day and night optics and a hog hunt in TX. In addition, all lowers for SilencerCo’s Saker 556 promotion, which ended January 30th, will be provided by Noveske. Customers can expect their lowers to arrive by the end of June. Finally, the SilencerCo sales and marketing staff will shoot Noveske 5.56 and 300 Blackout platforms for live fire demos and content creation.

The Yankee Marshal is a strong proponent (and the originator?) of Every 2nd Matters, a program that advocates for gun rights by open carrying or even empty-holster carrying on the second of every month with the goal of inviting conversation and raising gun awareness. This month he brought his camera with him to record any encounters he happens to have while open carrying.

hickok45 gives us a tour of the KRISS Vector SBR, suppressed with an AAC Ti-Rant. It’s not exactly my bag, but it’s interesting. I’d shoot the heck out of it if someone bought me one.

comments

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

At the first sentence, I put my coffee out of arms reach as I started to laugh.
    Can you imagine the heckling he will get in jail?

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

Yeah, I sleep nekkid, too. Actually, I’m kind of counting on any potential miscreant’s cracking up at the sight of my antediluvian carcass to give me a bit of an edge.

2. avatar SouthernPatriot says:

Crooks have to be afraid, very afraid of us senior citizens!

3. avatar WRH says:

Wait, was the geriatric-gun-toting-home-owner trying to look “bad?” Or was the cigarette-smoking-home-invader that was standing next to the ’32 Ford Roadster trying to look “bad?”

They both sound “bad.” Especially if, like me, you picture Clint Eastwood when you think about a gun-toting senior citizen.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Somehow “Get off my lawn” doesn’t seem like it would be so iconic if Clint had been naked…..

1. avatar rosignol says:

I dunno. It’s entirely possible that going Full Eastwood™ would have made that scene legendary.

4. avatar tdiinva says:

My experience in Colorado is on par with the YM. People are either oblivious or strike up a conversation. I have been to restaurants, Walmart, Target, Petsmart, even a local veterinary clinic without anyone batting an eyelash.

I have done a little nightime open carrying in the park in Arlington without issue. I think most people who do notice assume I am a LEO because of my short military style haircut and the way I dress. I am not ballsy enough to walk through busy commercial areas open carrying. Outside of close in NOVA my experience is the same as Larimer County Colorado.

1. avatar Steve Truffer says:

If by NOVA you mean Northern Virginia, I just stay away from there. Its polluted by DC. Not so bad I can play “count the white packets”, but the stupidity and statism is there.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

I hear that a lot. Yes there are a lot Pajama Boys and Girls her but it isn’t anything like DC and if by counting white packets you mean a gang problem then you are sadly misinformed. The crime rate in Northern Virginia is lower than in all but the most rural parts of the state.

5. avatar former water walker says:

Don’t mess with an old man. We ( is 60 old?) have a lot less to lose.

1. avatar pyratemime says:

Reminds me of the saying: Don’t start a fight with an old guy. He is likely to tired to fight you so instead he will just shoot you.

6. avatar TMcArthur says:

re: Every 2nd Matters
    I open carry regularly and have done so for the past 4 years. Not only in Colorado (Boulder County) but also others states I visit in the West (where legal). In all the days I have OCd, only 5 times has anyone every said anything;
    1) A New Mexico Sheriff at a rest stop asked what I was carrying and we exchanged our likes and dislikes on pistol calibers.
    2) An employee at ReStore very politely asked if I would take the gun outside the business. I did so with a smile and no complaints or lectures, and no longer shop there.
    3) A NRA instructor in Walmart, he came up to say “more people need to OC”
    4) A kid asked me “is that a gun”, and “cool”… then walked away.
    5) Lastly, a woman in my grocery store waited for me to walk away then asked my wife if I was a LEO. She responded with, “no, but he keeps me safe”. At which time the woman replied with “cool” and walked away.

99% of people never even notice the full-size S&W on my hip. Other than ReStore’s polite request, all others have been positive and I’m not so sure I wold put the ReStore lady in the negative either, she was very nice about it.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

You must stay out of Boulder.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Is that an observation, or a command?

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Just a question. Boulder is a cool place even with the freaks and stoners.

2. avatar Ben says:

Those are generally the reactions I get when carrying my XD45 Service here in southeast Alabama. Haven’t had anyone ask me to leave yet (in the last 9 months). Usually the employees ask me what model it is. Another customer at Harbor Freight asked me who I had coat my XD (it’s Flat Dark Earth polymer, uncoated). I was surprised he recognized it was an XD. Many people assume it’s a Glock. Funny YM makes fun of the shorts… I wear shorts everywhere I go around here. And sandals, usually. Especially in the summer. Crazy not to…

7. avatar Stinkeye says:

So dude just broke into the old guy’s house to stand there looking at his car and smoking? Truly a criminal mastermind…

1. avatar LarryinTX says:

Article didn’t mention what was being smoked ….

8. avatar New Continental Army says:

“The Register-Citizen article”- What sort of Communist newspaper headline is this!?!?, the Register Citizen? That just screams police state.

1. avatar Gunr says:

Never thought about that, the daily newspaper in Eugene, Oregon is called the Register Guard.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

If such things bother you, perhaps you’d prefer a more capitalist-sounding newpaper title. The Memphis, TN, Commercial Appeal may be better suited to your sensitivities.

1. avatar New Continental Army says:

Its is. Thank you. hahaha.

2. avatar janitor says:

ahhh good ole memphis. so nice i bought a house in virginia instead.

9. avatar Jack says:

Can anyone tell which Sig Sauer that was from that picture in the video?

1. avatar JoshtheViking says:

I’m guessing a p220 because of the large bore.

1. avatar Jack says:

Nice! That’s the one I have 🙂

10. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

thanks …i just snorted my beer out my nose…..ouch…..LOL

11. avatar P.M.Lawrence says:

A compatriot is someone from the same country, so yes, Ragozzine probably is a compatriot of Matt from FL’s.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Hmm, somehow I only knew it as a “person of like mind” or a “brother in arms” type of thing. But it appears you’re correct. Text amended.

That seems more like an opinion than a threat.

1. avatar Maineuh says:

Yeah. I doesn’t have an “I’m,” a “going to” or even an “Ima gonna” to make it sing. Sounds like something that’s just dying to get whittled down to everybody’s favorite catchall, disorderly conduct.

2. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

His legal defense will no doubt depend on parsing his words; but I think he’s in a whole heap of trouble, even as a best case scenario. Regarding the Second Amendment, I’d expect this same guy would argue for a plain English reading of the text and that it means just what it says. Yet, in trying to weasel out of this improvident post of his, he’s likely to take a very circuitous and ultimately not credible approach to interpretation of his own words.

I understand his frustration, but I couldn’t condone this kind of language even if he’s kidding, venting, or just cutesy tiptoeing up to something without actually saying it.

13. avatar Stephen M. says:

Open carry while fishing in a city park on the ICW. Reactions range from “oh hey, cool” to yelling and screaming at me how FL doesn’t have open carry. Hah.

14. avatar Lolinski says:

It must be fun to be Hickok45.

15. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

The KRISS SDP is one of my favorite firearms in my entire all time collection. Resting in a special, custom holster affixed to our bed, it’s my go-to gun should someone ever crash through a window or break down a door in the middle of the night.

16. avatar ThomasR says:

OC’ing for 5 years here in NM has been the same experience.Good reactions from the citizens and the cops have all been cool(knock on wood). My biggest obstacle was just to get over my initial fear that people would be freaking out at me OC’ing. People have mostly not noticed, have ignored it or have thanked me for OC’ing.

I have noticed over the last year more people OC’ing. The perception that OC’ing OK is becoming more the norm.

17. avatar ThomasR says:

18. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“Groves says from now on he’ll keep a pair of shorts by the bed.”

I say let ’em hang, bro. That split second of disbelief seeing someone standing in front of you nude is a tactical advantage, tactinude, if you will.

19. avatar Gene says:

“didn’t bother to grab anything but his handgun”

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’m confused as to why you quoted only that portion. Did you have a point to make?

1. avatar Gene says:

Huh… I guess it blocked out my [snicker] comment

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Ah, I bet you enclosed it in <brackets>, and WordPress tried to interpret it as html. Finding none that was valid, it just omitted the word entirely.

2. avatar Gene says:

@matt – yea, bet i did do that. Thought it would html encode it. Lesson learned.

20. avatar dwb says:

hmm. So what holster for naked open carry?

21. avatar insertjjs says:

I had a friend who had a similar situation. Only he found the guy still trying to climb through the window and when ordered to freeze by a naked white guy with a gun, he decided to run. And in the time that it took my friend to reach the window, that punk had run the 100yd dash in a time that would put Jesse Owens to shame.

22. avatar Paul G. says:

This is my handgun, this is my gun in hand….

23. avatar Dave Lewis says:

Is that a .45 or are you glad to see me? – Sorry folks I couldn’t resist

24. avatar Danny Griffin says:

> The day was much ado about nothing for him. Do any of you do anything like this?

Yes, I open carry every day. No one cares, not citizens, not cops. The only people who make a big deal of it are a few rabid anti-OCers.