Pro Tip: Teach Your Friends to Shoot Straight

courtesy thestate.com

The latest example of human gene pool purification comes to us from the Palmetto State. That’s where a Honea Path man decided to test out an old bullet proof vest he had kicking around by talking a friend into taking a pot shot at him. According to thestate.com, “In the warrant issued for (Taylor Ann) Kelly’s arrest, deputies state that they believe Wardell put on the vest and asked Kelly to shoot him. The bullet passed through the edge of the vest, and (Blake Randall) Wardell was hit in the chest. A handgun was used in the shooting, according to the warrant.” Apparently Kelly shot a tad too high, missing the Kevlar. Kelly’s now facing an involuntary manslaughter charge. Wardell is facing up. And we’ll never know if that old vest was any good.

comments

1. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

Reasonable candidate for a Darwin award.

1. avatar Lord Wulfgen says:

That was my first thought. Just natural selection doing its thing.

1. avatar SD3 says:

Hey now, I hear she’s ‘available’.

1. avatar DJ9 says:

Update!

“Woman’s Story in Fatal S.C. Shooting Was a Lie: Deputies”

Somebody didn’t stick to the story…

Hey, Taylor, hold my beer. I wanna try something . . . .

1. avatar BillF says:

Famous last words: Watch this!

3. avatar Lolinski says:

Would it have been that hard to attach the west to a mannequinn or somwthing?

1. avatar Chris. says:

I think it was attached to a mannequin.

1. avatar SigGuy says:

Ha!

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

No, just a dummy.

1. Jus wins the Internet.

4. avatar Lucas D. says:

Did the deceased have any children? If so, my condolences, but the possibility that this idiot had been breeding still utterly terrifies me.

1. Just read this story over at Bearing Arms. It shows a picture of Wardell holing a baby. Hopefully that child will not inherit the stupid gene from his father. Here’s my question; what is an 18 year old girl doing hanging out with a 26 year old man? They were described as “friends”. I hate the term “white trash” because I actually believe it is derogatory toward black people as in, it is understood that blacks are inferior. Otherwise, why no term of “black trash”? Anyway I use the term here to describe these idiots because I think most people understand what “white trash” implies.

5. avatar TXGal says:

Sometimes you just can’t help crazy or stupid but there is definately no fixin crazy stupid!

6. avatar chris says:

manslaughter more like assisted suicide

7. avatar Ing says:

Bearingarms.com also has an article about this. Apparently it was an old flak jacket — wouldn’t have been likely to stop a direct hit from a bullet anyway. And it seems the dude was shot in the heart, which the jacket should have covered, so I’m guessing her aim was fine. Cause-and-effect processing, not so much. And they had a Facebook picture of the guy holding a baby, so there’s a chance that he does have offspring. Sad.

They say a man’s effective IQ goes down by 20 points in the presence of an attractive woman — if you don’t have any to spare, you’re in trouble. But maybe the kid will be smarter than the old man.

1. avatar WRH says:

Where is this attractive woman of which you speak?

1. avatar William Burke says:

Attractive woman? I thought it was a Clearasil ad.

2. avatar Patrick says:

Lack of smile, studio lighting, and makeup do not make a person ugly; they make a bad photo.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

Even if his IQ was lowered by his desire for the attractive (?) woman, what’s her excuse? It took two for this particular tango: one idiot to get shot, and one idiot to pull the trigger. Both failed to exercise even the tiniest bit of intelligence here.

8. avatar RT says:

Apparently, you can fix stupid………………..

1. avatar MacBeth51 says:

Permanently

9. avatar JSF01 says:

Honestly I say, If the incident was her Idea then press charges, if it was his idea, then it was his own stupidity that killed him, just like if some one decided to play chicken with a train and lost. I am assuming the pistol was not hers because she is only 18, and if I were to take a guess she was probably never taught gun safety. If it was some one else’s idea charge that person.

Also I don’t know why but her picture makes me think Wednesday.

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

If you were in handcuffs after killing one of your friends unintentionally you’d look pretty pale yourself.

2. avatar Chris. says:

I disagree; she pulled the trigger.

Consider if instead of this scenario imagine if he said I bet you can jump a car over me, so he lies down – she gets in the car misses the jump and kills him with the car.

She’s still at fault. He didn’t intend to die, which would be a requirement of assisted suicide – (which just for the record I fully support).

She killed him, through incompetence or negligence. Whichever is left for a jury to determine.

1. avatar JSF01 says:

I am going to have to disagree. Lets say instead he told her to operate some heavy duty excavator with just the basic, that stick controls bucket. She then presses on the stick and it swings over killing a bystander. That would be the fault of the guy that told her to operate then failed to give proper instructions. Now if instead of killing the bystander, if it killed the guy that told her to operate it, it would still be that guys fault. He had an untrained person operate a piece of equipment, that lead to a death. Ultimately it was his responsibility and he failed at it, which lead to his death.

3. avatar Hannibal says:

Unless there’s a video with him asking her to shoot him (not in the vest), I’m pretty sure she’s on the hook.

“Involuntary manslaughter” sounds appropriate.

4. avatar William Burke says:

Unfortunately, it’s her word against a dead man’s.

10. avatar Curtis in IL says:

Someone’s been watching too many Russian Army training videos.

11. avatar Camper says:

When I was in the Army we came to the conclusion that a flak jacket wasn’t meant to stop anything from penetrating so much as leave less pieces to pick up afterwards.

12. avatar former water walker says:

Yikes. Beat me to it RT. I feel a bit sorry for Taylor Ann as she looks like a dopey teenager. I had some stupid friends back in the day who are now dead or disabled because of really dumb decisions. Hope the guys baby is ok…

1. avatar Fler says:

Worldstar! (Initially, that’s what the “worldnow” in the URL looked like to me. That would be apropos, however.)

13. avatar Mediocrates says:

I think she should be publicly thanked.

14. avatar Greg in Allston says:

She could be Pugsley Addams’ blond sister. Has the toxicology tests come back for the perp and the idiot, I mean, “victim” yet?

15. Waiting for the update to the story, adding this statement:

“Alcohol was involved.”

1. avatar USAFMech says:

Paul T. McCain said something pithy AND on topic? OILB.

2. avatar Bob says:

+1 Alcohol.

16. avatar DBM says:

Those old flak jackets were not capable of stopping a bullet anyway. They were only designed to stop shrapnel. Bullets go right through them.

17. avatar Lfshtr says:

Who is that stupid to let a girlfriend shoot at them, wow, I guess trust is cheap!

18. avatar 7.62x54r says:

Summer 1968. 10 miles south of the DMZ on Wunder Beach. Transportation guys pulling perimeter guard duty with infantry resting in country. Inspection. Uniform included flak jacket. Said flak jacket filled with crumpled newspaper. It was hot. Maybe he got my old jacket.

19. avatar SD3 says:

“Involuntary manslaughter” is a pretty light charge for deliberately pointing a loaded gun at someone & pulling the trigger.

Drunk drivers get harsher sentences.

But then again, I guess she *did* do us a public service.

20. avatar Mrbadnews says:

Oh, leave that vest lying around with a 1/5th of Lord Calvert and it’ll get a full abuse test. This is my state. I know my people.

21. avatar peirsonb says:

In my day we made the rookie get naked. And we used blanks. You’re a sick mother- Mac.

22. avatar bontai Joe says:

The primate-red neck part of me wants to say, “Hey, that’s my kind of woman, she does what her man says and gives no backtalk!” But the civilized part of me feels sad for the girl’s family, in her being involved in this. Hopefully she isn’t the baby-momma and that kid has a shot at growing up with better judgement skills.

23. avatar DJ9 says:

Update!

“Woman’s Story in Fatal S.C. Shooting Was a Lie: Deputies”

Somebody didn’t stick to the story…

24. avatar FirearmConcierge says:

Richard Davis of Second Chance actually went around selling body armor to police departments back in the old days. They didn’t believe his product was actually bulletproof so he shot himself in the chest himself, which could have ostensibly been the inspiration for such an event.