Tavor on a Roll

The IWI Tavor was TTAG’s Rifle of the Year. No wonder, then, that the company’s U.S. facility in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania recently shipped its twenty thousandth Tavor. As you’d expect, the guns are starting to show up wherever you find American operators operating in operational environments. (Nick and I hung with a Tavor-wielding competitor at a recent carbine match.) The Israeli manufacturer’s PR company – the indefatigable Laura Burgess Marketing – let slip the fact that the gun will soon appear in olive drab. How great is that? [See: operators, above.] Not as great as the possibility that TTAG may soon be journeying to the land of the Israeli supermodels to troll the beaches of Tel Aviv test IWI’s small arms. Watch this space.

comments

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Awww, c’mon. If ever there was an excuse to break the moratorium on Israeli supermodel links….

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Agreed..
      But…
      How can I get in on this trip??? hint hint!!! 😉

2. avatar Bigred2989 says:

There’s an updated version with better ergonomics and an adjustable lop right? Any idea when that will show up in the US?

1. avatar joleme says:

and any information on the gun would be appreciated as well.

2. avatar SpeleoFool says:

I find the ergonomics to be awesome *if* you use the Israeli hold (i.e. forearm ramp locks the stock into your shoulder). It makes for an incredibly stable shooting platform while also reducing your target profile.

My first impression was that it was awkward to shoulder, but I was trying to hold it like an AR. After I figured out the hold I tried it out again and bought one on the spot. I absolutely love mine.

1. avatar 16V says:

Seconded and passed. The ergonomics are frakkin’ outstanding, especially compared to an AR/M.

The Tavor was supposed to be legally on sale here over a decade ago, and I’ve been waiting ever since. Now that it’s finally going to be available in a real caliber (7.62 NATO) instead of varmint 5.56 popgun, there will be one in my safe in the semi-near future.

3. avatar Bill says:

I had the strangest boner when she said, “I still remember my m16.” HOT

1. avatar sota says:

My boner wasn’t so strange. In fact it was quite normal.

1. avatar Bill says:

mine was slithering this way and that, it was all fncked up.

1. avatar LongBeach says:

I thought I was the only person on earth who remembered that album. Good stuff.

2. avatar John C says:

Me too!

4. avatar rlc2 says:

YEOWWW! Hot Israeli Chicks are BACK….

Oh, look theres a squirrel. Whats a tavor again?

5. avatar PeterC says:

I’d prefer mine on rye, with pickled tomatoes on the side.

6. avatar Marcus says:

I met Assaf Elias at SHOT show, that guy is bloody tall.

7. Oh man, I’d buy an olive drab Tavor so hard they’d hear the cash register from Tel Aviv!

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I just checked out the Olive Drab Tavor pictures and I would love to have one also. It is a toss up between that and FDE. All I know is that my Baby Eagle (Jericho 941) needs some companionship and this rifle would do the trick.

8. avatar PeterK says:

Ooooo that’d be fun! MAC had a blast there if the videos were any indicator. 🙂

9. avatar Tim U says:

Maybe it’s a good thing I haven’t been able to afford a Tavor so far. I would have gone black, but I’ll take OD over that now that its an option.

Of course, I still need to figure out where I’ll get the extremely high funds necessary.

10. avatar MikeyRavioli says:

I’ll take 2!!!

Oh wait I live in NY.
    None for me.

11. avatar Roll says:

I’d love a Tavor in OD green…another one for my list…

12. avatar ropingdown says:

Is anyone familiar enough with both the Tavor and the Chinese QBZ 95 carbine to give a comparison of quality and key feature differences other than caliber? Yes, please ignore the availability question!

1. avatar WRH says:

I have handled the Type 97NSR (similar ergonomics to the QBZ 95 and is Canada-legal) and the Tavor. The Tavor wins hands down. Don’t feel bad that you can’t get one in the U.S. , the only thing the Type 97 has going for it is a 66% lower price.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

Thanks for the info.

13. avatar jrp_SC says:

Israeli women and M-16…mmmmm

1. avatar Gunr says:

I dig that sexy bedroom voice!

Tavor on a bagel. Or maybe a fresh bialy with a schmear. But never on a roll.

1. avatar Paelorian says:

Outstanding comment! Thanks for the laugh.

15. avatar Dracon1201 says:

Did you see the lime green ones!!! I need one!! And I hope they make the pink for my girlfriend!!

16. I have my TAVOR up for sale on Gunbroker right now. Auction ends tomorrow morning.

Just FYI

1. avatar 16V says:

You want the 7.62. It’s OK, I just skipped buying one because I knew sooner or later, they’d chamber it for a round that works.

17. avatar Chris says:

If they were legal to own in my state I’d buy one.

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

Yep.

If they’d just started rolling them out a few months earlier. I had a plan to have a guy in Pennsylvania put on a fixed CT-legal muzzle brake, and then would have been good to go.

18. avatar BillC says:

I liked how every time they mentioned the AR-15, it would cut to a clip of IWI’s ACE-23

19. avatar PPGMD says:

The marketing dude was “It’s accurate, reliable…” blah blah.

He obviously doesn’t understand the market, people buy unreliable inaccurate guns all the time. It is from the IDF, who are looked upon quite positively by the US gun market, and it is new strange design.

The real question is will be last? All the prior new hotnesses dropped out of favor in a couple of years. The SCAR is the only one that still gets any descent sales, but even that pales in comparison to AR-15s.

20. avatar Pahtun6 says:

Tavors are pretty slick. May be my next rifle.

21. avatar ValleyForge77 says:

Hey I hear you can even get full auto Tavors now too! Just contact a Mr Leland Yee in CA. He’ll hook you up for the right price.

22. avatar Kevin says:

These guys get it. Starting at 1:35 “..the Civilian market in the US is bigger than all the military and law enforcement market in the world.” ‘Merica

Then at 3:02 I heard a reporter say “I can remember my M16” and I burst out laughing. With joy.

I know nothing about the weapon but that was awesome.

23. avatar Montana Dan says:

Can we get some kind of Lottery to win one of these things. I swear to all things holy, I’ll read every day, put in 7 minutes per article, and shine your shoes real bright and shiny. Please don’t make me beg.

24. avatar Jim Jones says:

“U.S. civilian market is bigger than all of the law enforcement and military markets for all of the world.” Wow. I knew that firearms was big business in the states, but that puts a very special perspective on who we are as a people. There is a reason that the antis have been “brainwashing” people for at least two generations about the “evils” of firearms (thinking back to a time when people could walk the halls of their schools with a firearm without going on lockdown shows how far the antis’ agenda has progressed). You can’t take over a people who has the means to put an end to your reign.

When people realize that the fiat promises their elected leaders used to buy their votes will not be honored, I hope that there are parts of this country who continue to hold the American exceptionalism values of the founding fathers to heart and create regions that resemble what this country used to be about.

25. avatar JW says:

I wonder how hard it would be to get a .300 blk barrel for one of these?

1. avatar Grumpy in Kali says:

Highly unlikely. They’ve already cut their 5.45 development and there was an actual international market for that caliber.

1. avatar 16V says:

Unless they cancelled production of the X95R (MicroTavor, MTAR21) I’m not sure what you’re referencing. The 95R is chambered in 5.45×39 (not that anything should be save for carnival games)…

More important, the announcement was recently made that the TAR21 will finally be available in a caliber that will stop something – 7.62 NATO…

26. avatar JSIII says:

Looks like they have prototypes of pink and “Zombie” green tavors too.

27. avatar CCDWGuy says:

I’d love to have one but it looks like the gun from Hell if you are left handed as I am. Hot brass to the face.

28. avatar CCDWGuy says:

I would love to have one, Tavor, but I am left handed and it looks like it would be nothing but brass in the face.

1. avatar 16V says:

Child’s play to swap from RH eject to LH eject. All you need is a LH bolt and less than 30 minutes (as someone reading from poorly printed instructions).

If you have the bolt handy, and have some experience? It takes less than 15 minutes and almost no tools. This isn’t an AR/M…

1. avatar CCDWGuy says:

Thanks for the information on the left hand conversion and sorry for the double post but I did not get the message I usually get that it had been posted.

29. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

At $1,800 or so, they’re pricey; roughly double a decent (not top of the line, I understand) AR. I like the bullpup design, but then I always come back to the idea that, since bullpup has been around for a long time, why aren’t most rifles in that design? Well, turns out there are some reasons. I also like the left side charging handle. I don’t know whether it’s reciprocating, but I definitely prefer left side.

So, I don’t know, maybe I’ll spring for one next year, when I’ve heard more feedback on long term usage and reliability. It’s definitely something to keep my eye on, though.

1. avatar 16V says:

They’ve been in use for over a decade, designed to replace the failed/ancient AR/M platform.

30. avatar Andy says:

Anyone know if these are CA legal?

1. avatar Grumpy in Kali says:

I believe Riflegear has had them. All that’s necessary is some form of bullet button and a 10 round mag. They sell standard and CA versions of most modern rifles.

31. avatar Enrique says:

I definitely want one, but I can’t decide between this and a SCAR first.
    I think it’s fantastic that newer platforms keep evolving, however it is true that the AR-15 continues to dominate the market. The AR is still the best for customizing your own unique weapon, as the availability of parts is phenomenal.

32. avatar Dave s says:

any commentary on the large, open handguard? can see all sorts of stuff finding its way in there…

33. avatar Harry says:

I am watching it again and again and again…..Still, I don’t remember anything from before or after she said that she remembers her M16.

34. avatar JT says:

I want one, but the price would have to get down to $1500 or below before I could justify it.

35. SWEET!

Just sold mine on GB for $1577.

I liked it, but several things made me sell it:

(1) Part availability. Bazillion places selling bazillion parts for the AR platform.
    (2) Nothing so incredibly better about the TAVOR over the AR platform.
    (3) Manipulating bolt hold open latch is a royal pain.

So, buh-bye Tavor, it was fun to shoot you. Great rifle, just not for me.