Otis McDonald, Chicago’s Second Amendment Champion, has Died, Aged 80

Otis McDonald (courtesy abclocal.go.com)

The Chicago man whose fight to overturn the city’s handgun ban went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, where the judges ruled in his favor to incorporate the Second Amendment (it now trumps local and state law), has died. Otis McDonald succumbed to cancer at the age of 80. May he rest in peace.

comments

1. avatar Excedrine says:

Val Halla awaits, M. McDonald.

I never knew you, but our cause was, still is, and always shall be the same. Our cause is just, and we will all continue fighting in your stead though it will be undoubtedly very hard to fill your shoes.

May you rest in peace.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

+ 1000!

2. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

America lost a true civil rights pioneer today. He should be hoisted high on history’s shoulders and carried to his rightful place among the nation’s pantheon of heroes of the Constitution. God bless you, Otis McDonald.

1. avatar whatever says:

Hear, hear! Hats off to Brother McDonald, a real American.

3. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

Aye. A man to raise a glass to. RIP.

2. avatar Cameron S. says:

RIP. May his efforts be remembered.

3. avatar Curtis in IL says:

In their grief, may his loving family find solace in the fact that Illinois is a safer place because of his courage.

4. avatar Danny says:

Let not his victory die with him.

5. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Rest in peace, and thanks for the time used and the stress gained to fight for rights that should never have been infringed!

6. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

A name we honor and remember.
    Rest in peace, kind sir.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Well said, I can’t improve on it.

7. avatar Nine says:

May he rest in peace.

God bless you sir.

8. avatar uncommon_sense says:

We are forever indebted to you Mr. McDonald. Thank you for your courage and perseverance! Rest in peace.

9. avatar Mk10108 says:

I’ll raise a glass for the man (or anyone) in the arena.

10. avatar Bob says:

I live in Chicago. I just got my Illinois concealed carry license in the mail today. I have you to thank. Peace.

11. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

RIP though I never personally knew you …your legacy will live on

12. avatar JeffR says:

Thank you, sir. Those of us in Illinois and all of the other states that required incorporation of the 2d Amendment to exercise our rights owe you a debt that I doubt we will be able to repay. Rest in peace.

13. avatar Rick says:

Happy he lived long enough to see (sort-of) Shall Issue come to IL.

14. avatar Jake Tallman says:

His courage and perseverance is a great example for us all. Before it had happened, there were plenty who would have called him a fool for even trying to get things changed. But he did so anyway, and how, Chicago is a safer place because of his efforts. May his legacy live on and my he rest in peace.

15. avatar EagleScout87 says:

May you rest in peace Mr. McDonald and may God be with your family as their mourn their loss and celebrate your life.

16. avatar William Burke says:

I’m sure you are resting in peace, Otis. You’re not in Chicago anymore.

17. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

what a wonderful and brave man. He deserves our thanks and gratitude and I really hope a national organization establishes a scholarship or some other tribute in his honor so I may make a contribution.

18. avatar Chris says:

Rest in peace, fellow freedom lover, and thank you for your service.

Every DGU that saves a life or prevents a crime in Chicago will be this man’s legacy. His name will fade into history, but his legacy remains every time a law-abiding Chicagoan carries a firearm in self-defense. All gun owners owe this man a debt of gratitude.

19. avatar Paladin says:

Requiescat in pace, the torch has been passed.

20. avatar T says:

RIP to Otis Mcdonald.

21. avatar shawn says:

Did more than the hundreds of millions the NRA received to fight for our right. Some money should go to his family.

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Except that the NRA also fought in this case. Advocates of record were Alan Gura for the petitioners (MacDonald et. al.) and Paul Clement for the NRA.

It’s all fun and games for most firearms owners, but it’s a life’s work for many of the NRA’s professional staff. I get really tired of people pooh-poohing the NRA’s work when 1.) It’s a hell of a lot more than they’ve ever done for the cause and 2) They’re not even acknowledging that the NRA was even doing work in the first place.

If one has not even read a comprehensive history of the NRA, including their political, judicial and apolitical shooting sports activities over the last century+, then one should hold back on such harsh opinions.

1. What J in Houston said!!

2. avatar neiowa says:

Uniformed opinions and arseholes. Everyone gets one.

1. avatar jwm says:

Uniformed? Only soldiers and cops and doormen get opinions?

All the grabbers in all their statements call out the NRA as the 800 pound gorilla in the room. They must be doing something right.

Correct about arseholes. Everybody’s got one. Sometimes it defines them.

22. avatar John Fritz - Commenter says:

You are a hero. God’s blessings sir. And thank you.

23. Glad he lived long enough to see some success.

24. avatar CT Resident says:

He was a real Hero! May he rest in peace.

25. avatar Chuck in IL says:

There needs to be a statue of Mr. McDonald. Somewhere in Chicago where the likes of Daley, Emmanuel and McCarthy have to see it every day.

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Now that would be awesome. It would be a return to the days when statues were erected and public projects were named for people who actually *did* something. This Celebrity of the Empty we seemingly worship today is utterly dismaying.

26. avatar Aaron says:

A true civil rights activist. A man who cared about the common man and stood up to the ruling elitists, such as Bloomberg and Obama, who often violate the rights of the masses. RIP good sir.

27. avatar CoolBreeze72 says:

Well done good and faithful patriot. RIP

Perhaps his family could use some support of the financial kind? Between cancer and a protracted legal battle, I’m sure money could be an issue. Any way of contributing to honor the man? It would be nice to speak with our treasure as well as our hearts.

28. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

No more appropriate than Psalm 23

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
    He leadeth me beside the still waters.
    He restoreth my soul:
    He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
    Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
    Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
    And I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

R.I.P. Dear brother Otis

29. avatar former water walker says:

RIP Mr. McDonald. As an Illinois resident I thank you. If you don’t live here you have NO idea how hard it was to overturn Chicago’s gun ban. And thanks NRA.

30. avatar jwm says:

Respect. Fight the good fight and you’re never alone.

31. avatar LJM says:

Vaya con Dios Otis.

32. avatar Reyberto Colon says:

The key to immortality, is to live a life worth remembering. Your legacy carries on. May you rest in peace, good sir.

33. avatar joe says:

RIP A real American hero-he needs to be in textbooks for our children.

34. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Thank you Mr. McDonald. You will never be forgotten.

35. avatar LongPurple says:

“And may you be in Heaven an hour before the Devil hears you’re dead.”
    God bless.

36. avatar Yossarian says:

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” – Greek Proverb

Let us rise to Mr. McDonald’s example, the best reward we can grant to a hero such as he.