Video: AAC Ti-Rant Versus SilencerCo Osprey

AAC’s Ti-Rant and SilencerCo.’s Osprey are both 9mm suppressors, and they compete for the same audience. They have their differences and their trade-offs, but they cost about the same amount of money and they do exactly the same job. So the question then: which one is better? To answer that, the nice folks at Austin’s Silencer Shop brought out a couple of each version and we shot them side by side. To my ear, AAC’s Ti-Rant is the winner — but only by a hair. And honestly, I might prefer the Osprey’s unobstructed sight picture over a hair more noise suppression. Listen for yourself. When the audio in the video cuts over (the wind stops) that’s where I used the more accurate audio from the device near the muzzle.

comments

1. avatar Mike Crognale says:

I could hear the slight difference in reduction and it sounded to me like the Ti-Rant was slightly better. YMMV.

2. avatar Michael C says:

They sounded pretty damn identical to me. So I say go for the unobstructed sight picture.

3. avatar shawn says:

How about with all the bashing of The Freedom Group and AAC’s mistreatment of Kevin, why support AAC if both are virtually the same?

1. avatar Duke says:

Excellent point.

Between this, and Michael C’s point above about the sight picture, seems like a no-brainer to go for the Osprey.

4. avatar Topmounter says:

For being “Silencers” they sure aren’t very silent. Why are these an NFA item again?

1. avatar mike says:

Shoot a few rounds without a silencer and ear pros…. then let’s see if you still feel the same way.

1. avatar themonk says:

I think he was making a funny

5. avatar surlycmd says:

I own an .45 Osprey and I like it very much.

6. avatar mike says:

Sound performance between them is trivial. The most important feature is that the Tirant can be taken apart and cleaned, unlike the Osprey.

7. avatar Ben Eli says:

Y’all need to get some wind muffs for your cameras. Considering the amount of video Leghorn shoots, it would be a worthy investment.

1. avatar MW says:

Exactly. Nothing is more annoying than that wind noise for an entire video.

8. avatar NWGlocker says:

can’t play the video (yet). what are some other trade offs?can you really use stock sights with the osprey?

9. avatar Stu says:

You should have compared the Silencerco Octane to the above models. I’m curious how it would perform again the osprey and the TiRant, but has a major advantage stainless steel baffles. My friend has the TiRant 45 and cleaning the baffles is a HUGE rectal irritation.

10. avatar A-Rod says:

Prices of the two?

1. avatar Eric says:

Ti-Rant $695, Osprey $650 on Silencer Shops website

1. avatar A-Rod says:

Am I the only one that thinks silencers are grossly overexpensive?

1. avatar Brian Patterson says:

Then dont buy one. Evidence shows there at a price point the market will bear.

11. avatar Out_Fang_Thief says:

The last time I went shopping, SWR and Silencerco were two separate companies. I found a Youtube on the two, side by side, and the SWR was noticeably quieter than the Osprey. Not what I was expecting. They did an accurate side by side comparison, in a controlled indoor environment, with calibrated decibel meters, and the SWR reduced the db level the most. Size isn’t everything.

1. avatar Dan says:

the osprey is monocore, the ti-rant is k-baffles. monocores almost always lose out in head to head vs non monocores.

12. avatar jwiesejr says:

Well the TiRant started off quite but raised in dB over the use of rounds. You should have done a wet test. The osprey operates veryquite wet but can’t be opened/serviced.The Osprey in my opinion is a better choice.

13. Both great companies will take care of the customer. Silencerco will service Osprey when needed. I go with it.