Quote of the Day: Tooling Up Edition

Shanghai police officer firearms training courtesy shanghaist.com

“I do feel some pressure in carrying a gun…It’s obviously of great help for our daily work. And we will strictly follow the rules and laws when using it.” – Officer Wang Haiyi quoted in Shanghai relaxes controls on armed (police) patrols [at xinhuanet.com]

comments

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

What IS that thing?

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Thanks for the link.

This new revolver has appeared in 2006 as a future armament for various elements of Chinese Police which previously were unarmed – such as traffic police, local municipal police etc.

More agents of government around the world arming up, huh? So, it’s not just our own. O_o

2. avatar Kris says:

It’s called a revolver. They have long been extinct in America but were once widely used.

1. avatar TX Gun Gal says:

“It’s called a revolver. They have long been extinct in America but were once widely used”

Don’t say that in front of my Ruger LCR .38, SP 101 .357, GP 100 .357, SP 101 9mm revolver, Charter Arms .22, Charter Arms Pitbull 9mm. It will hurt their feelings. In fact, now I have to take
      Ruger 9mm and Charter Arms 9mm revolvers out the gun range today, to let them know I still value their form and function.

2. avatar Leadbelly says:

Ha Ha. All I own are S&W revolvers – two J-frames, and a five-screw .38 Combat Masterpiece. I was wondering about that SPECIFIC revolver, but Some Guy seems to have answered my question. It looks like a mutant crossbreed of an old Harrington & Richardson, a Charter Arms, and who knows what else.

3. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Wood grip revolver, how retro.

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

Teacup grip also.

4. avatar Tom from Georgia says:

After reading the speculated details on the thing, I’m not so sure it would be doing anybody any favors. Snake shot might be just about as effective. Ironically, I always thought Chinese police in general carried sidearms to begin with. But then again that might violate a basic tenet, being that police are civilians and in China, any civilian having any implement of power is automatically perceived as a threat to the State. Even a policeman. How sad and depressing, but that is the way of much of the world.

Tom

1. avatar ThomasR says:

Yep; about six billion people that by definition of whether they can keep and bear arms with out permission from the state; are peasants, peons and out right slaves.

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

“Snake shot might be just about as effective.”

The 38 SW was widely used by police for a while. Of course, the same can be said of the .32 ACP in Europe. Still, a weak 38 plus a nightstick is better than just having the nightstick.

5. avatar Eric says:

Shanghai? Home of Fairbaine and Sykes and Shooting to Live?

What comes around goes around I guess.

1. avatar Lolinski says:

Good read, though some tactics have changed there is still useful info there.

1. avatar Sam Spade says:

Some thing don’t seem to ever change, though. From Chap. II:

“We have an inveterate dislike of the profusion of safety devices with which all automatic pistols are regularly equipped.”

1. avatar lolinski says:

What about decockers? Or what about simply not using the safety? I am not too picky and haven’t settled the decocker vs safety argument (for my use) yet. My philosophy is trigger, barrel and projectile, everything else is optional but preferable, especially the barrel, you don’t want something with a “barrel” where the bullet sticks out.

6. avatar former water walker says:

Wow cops with guns. When are the Brits getting on board?

1. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

Bobbies with sub guns? But I thought things were much safer since they disarmed the law abiding citizens in the UK. Strange how a wooden truncheon was good enough before, but not now.

7. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Perspective kids. Where you see a problem, California Sen. Leland Yee (D) sees opportunity.

8. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Ear pro?

9. avatar scooter says:

My brother has a Model 10 marked “RHKP” for “Royal Hong Kong Police.” In trying to figure out those initials and the gun’s history, I found that in Hong Kong the 5-0 were issued one loaded piece at the start of their shift to be checked in at the end. Detectives were allowed to keep possession of their guns, and even allowed one reload in the form of a speedloader. His RHKP relic is a great shooter with very little wear. S&W took them back as trade-ins and shipped them out like “certified pre-owned” cars. My Bro scored his for $100 at a pawn shop. As you can guess by the $, this was not a recent buy!

10. avatar Tim McNabb says:

Heh – Officer Wang

11. avatar Pahtun6 says:

I believe Hong Kong PD has carried firearms for a while now, by I’m not exactly sure about the rest if china. Still, if there was any place of want a firearm these days it would be china.

12. avatar neiowa says:

Wannabe American Cowboys with their revolvers. Uncivilized I say.

No MRAPs and autoweapons??

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

They have the PLA for that.

13. avatar John in Ohio says:

Following the fatal knife attacks in Kunming and Changsha, the ministry said in mid-March that it would carry out armed patrols and take timely measures to handle violent crimes.

Using a gun to stop a knife attack and other violent crimes… Who would’ve thunk?