Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Oscar Pistorious

Samantha Taylor and Oscar Pistorius (courtesy nydailynews.com)

Shooting the wrong person doesn’t necessarily make you a bad person. The Virginia homeowner who shot a drunken teen breaking into the wrong house, for example, made an entirely understandable mistake. A jury will decide whether Oscar “Blade Runner” Pistorius is a cold-blooded murderer or an armed self-defender who mistook his drop-dead gorgeous model girlfriend for a home invader. As his trial continues, we’re learning that Oscar was a bit cavalier in his firearms handling . . .

Former squeeze Samantha Taylor [above] testified that Pistorius had a strange aversion to holsters. “He kept it on him all the time,” Taylor said in testimony. But “on” doesn’t mean what you think it means. “He placed his firearm on his bedside table, or next to his legs on the floor.” Pistorius’ excessive firearm fondling was bound to end in tears – as it did when he had a negligent discharge at a cafe. Taylor also related this tale [via businessweek.com]:

Pistorius was irritated when a policeman handled his gun after reprimanding him for leaving it on the car seat and laughed as he shot later fired through the sunroof, Taylor said. He was a passenger in a car that was stopped by the police for speeding, she said.

No matter what the jury decides in Pistorius’ murder trial, it’s clear the Blade Runner didn’t know the safe time and place to run a gun. And for that he earns our IGOTD trophy.

comments

1. avatar the ruester says:

I often wonder if it is even legal to learn how to use a gun in some of these countries. I can totally imagine a scenario where it is legal to grant a license to a celebrity but illegal to teach him how to use it.

1. avatar ChrisB. says:

I have a friend here in S. Africa. You need a full background check, a live fire and safety course, and a demonstrated need (ie may issue even from home defense). Currently it is about one to two years wait to get a basic license to buy a gun and own it at home.

In other words for a home defense handgun, Pistorious had to qualify for the most rigorous CCW criteria in the US.

2. avatar Steven says:

There aren’t any juries in South Africa. Only judges, something about no fair trials during apartheid made them get rid of them.

3. avatar Shwiggie says:

“Drop-dead gorgeous” was never more (in)appropriate….

1. avatar Jeff says:

she was (and still is) a stone-cold stunner.

1. avatar Bill says:

I wouldn’t have hesitated to COMMENT MODERATED her COMMENT MODERATED just to let her know I was a gentleman, then after she COMMENT MODERATED I would have COMMENT MODERATED right in her COMMENT MODERATED and left her to COMMENT MODERATED.

1. avatar Jeff says:

way to keep the joke going

2. avatar sbk510 says:

Omg lmao. That’s funny right there

3. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Well done!

2. avatar William Burke says:

She truly ain’t all that. She’s far from ugly, but I guess this is an eye-of-beholder thing. This beholder does not see “drop-dead gorgeous”.

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

her neck is not long enough, and hands were not manly enough

COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂 COMMENT MODERATED!!! 🙂

Yeah, Bill, I’m sure you’ve turned down a lot better than her.

Mwahahahahaha!

1. avatar Bill says:

being the gentleman I am, I never turn down a lady to COMMENT MODERATED

2. avatar William Burke says:

I definitely didn’t say that.

4. avatar DaveL says:

On another occasion, he apparently also ventilated his washing machine by accident.

5. avatar surlycmd says:

I simply do not understand the American media coverage of this event or trial. No explanations necessary. I do not care either. Just my observation.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

The guy with the gun acted extremely badly and killed someone whose photo pulls at the heart strings of, well, some people. So why does the coverage surprise you? Seems like a MSM natural.

But TTAG? Is this the “News of the World: Gun Edition”? Laugh.

Is this the “News of the World: Gun Edition”?

Check out Page Six. Hubba hubba.

2. avatar surlycmd says:

There is plenty of stories that meet the criteria right here in the States. Why is this trial much more interesting than a murder here? I guess it is MORE tragic since both had a modicum of fame before the shooting. The famous people are more important meme. Which to me is in the top 5 saddest aspects of our modern American society.

But I digress.

I bid you all a good night.

2. avatar William Burke says:

It’s 10,000 miles from here. Which makes it attractive to the MSM. The time covering this, they don’t have to cover the morass at home.

6. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Sounds like he majorly violated the 3rd rule of being sure of your target.

No, he was sure.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Yeah, I was just thinking about that while picking things up and putting them down. He knew what he was doing.

7. He kept his gun “next to his legs on the floor”

Um….what legs?

1. avatar General Zod says:

“Next to his legs” does not necessarily mean next to him, in this case…

1. avatar Ing says:

They could have occupied the same drawer in his nightstand, been tucked away safely in the trunk of his car, or just chucked on the floor beneath the coffee table…where any normal person would put his guns and his legs when he takes them off after a long day’s work.

The dude strapped on an artificial limb every day, but couldn’t make the mental leap from there to strapping on a holster for his gat? Nobody ever said sprinters had to be thinkers.

8. avatar former water walker says:

I vote cold-blooded murderer. Paranoia is one side effect of excess steroid consumption.

9. avatar Mack Bolan says:

Wow TTAG writers are:
    Misogynists
    Stalkers
    Insurrectionists
    and now Cripple Haters

Keep up the good work!

//sarc//

10. avatar Tommy Knocker says:

Had to listen to the idiot Gretchen Carlson on Fox and some foriegn reporter breathlessly describe the super duper nuclear dangerous ammunition he used. “I think they call it hollow point ammunition “.

“Hollow point” also describes their heads.

He gets my Murdering Scvmbag of the Day Award.

When a guy with no legs and a bad disposition snags one of the world’s most beautiful women, what he should do is anything she wants, with gratitude.

Instead, this clown shoots her, claiming that she might have been a bad guy breaking into his bathroom.

Things must be rough in the old RSA when home invaders pass up the hot chick and the flat screen to head directly for the toilet paper.

1. avatar Sammy says:

I don’t get it either. National hero, elite lifestyle, wealth, AND the girl. What the hell does this guy need to be happy?

Legs.

1. OK, Ralph and Sammy, you set that one up, didn’t you?

For the win.

2. avatar William Burke says:

😛 You win the internets today, Ralph.

3. avatar bontai Joe says:

He must have ticked off the wrong Genie when he wished for his penis to touch the floor. (I know I’m gonna get punished for that one, but I just couldn’t help myself)

4. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Ha!

It’s funny cause he doesn’t have legs.

12. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

My take on this is that I can’t imagine shooting through a door with no visual affirmation of the target unless bullets were already flying through the door the other way. Trial aside, he may be the only person who will ever know if the shooting was an accident or murder, but even if it was accidental he deserves a few years in a 9’x6′ cell to think about what he did.

1. avatar jwm says:

Another tragedy chalked up to following advice from slow joe biden.

13. avatar ropingdown says:

My wife says the dead girlfriend had already decided to break up with Oscar.

My guess is that she said “Oscar, it”s not you, it’s me. I just need some time alone.”
    To which Oscar replied “Be honest, it’s about the legs, isn’t it?”
    Then in thinking of a reply his honey hesitated just a bit too long…

14. avatar Frank P says:

South Africa has an incredibly high home invasion, murder, and kidnap rate. And Oscar was a prime target. So I hope he gets a fair trial.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Was his bathroom a prime target?

1. avatar John in AK says:

Apparently, there’s something ‘different’ about South African home invaders. First chance they get, they invariably rush for the bathroom and close the door, locking it behind them. Then, to throw off suspicion, they start screaming like a terrified woman.

Must be the aspirin in there that draws ’em.

Some people will believe anything.

15. avatar Grumpy in Kali says:

He certainly isn’t doing himself any favors.

Either he’s a terribly irresponsible gun owner

OR

He’s a cold blooded woman beating murderer.

His anger issues have been presented. Here’s an example of his negligence. They’ve already paraded an ex-gf around saying he isn’t what he wants you to believe. And now there’s this.

Its not looking good for him….

16. avatar Kirk says:

If anyone read Pistorius’s statement issued via his attorneys not long after his arrest, you can only conclude one thing: The man is guilty as hell.

17. avatar Maineuh says:

I am deeply ashamed at the number of times I guffawed while reading through this thread. You’re all very bad people and you’re going to hell.

18. avatar John in AK says:

I want him dead. I want his attorneys dead. I want his house burned to the ground, and I want to p*ss in the ashes.

Is his victim dead? Yes. Did he kill her? Yes. Did he intend to pull the trigger without knowing his target, or worse yet, WAS she his target? Yes, and most likely yes.

Oh, yes, give him a ‘fair trial.’ Followed by a first-class hanging.

1. avatar Grant in South Africa says:

Unfortunately we haven’t done the “good hanging” thing in quite a while here, although we do prefer to let the decision of guilt vs innocence be made by a judge as opposed to overly emotionally involved civilians.

19. avatar MWorrell says:

You need an Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Year category for this guy.

20. avatar GS650G says:

He’s toast and he knows it. Prison is going to be pretty rough on a guy with no legs.