Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Matt and Friend

Back in the day I spent some serious schmooze time with the developer of the FoMoCo’s Lincoln BPS (Bullet Protection Series). I learned that people intent on taking out a high-value target in an armored limo aren’t stupid. If the bad guys fire at the limo glass from a distance, they aim at the driver and/or the engine block using rifle rounds (not 9mm bullets). If they’re shooting up close, they’ll keep firing at the same spot until the protective material fails. Which it will. If the driver isn’t dead when the baddies breach the car’s armor, he will be in short order. All of which convinced me that, you have to be more than a little nuts to sit in the driver’s seat of an armored limo. To do so when someone’s shooting at you – when you have an option to be elsewhere – is beyond pointless. It’s reckless and irresponsible. Anyone who sees this video and buys an armored car from these guys gets what they deserve. Hopefully not, but there it is. [h/t DCP]

comments

1. avatar Excedrine says:

Some day one of these two will win the Darwin Award. I’m sure of it.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Actually the more likely person to win the darwin award is the writer of this article, because clearly he is retarded. Why? Because Matt Farah and Rob Ferretti have both said that this was faked, and it’s glaringly obvious that’s true. Also, the only thing you have to ask is, Matt, who lives in LA, the land of video editing, is he really going to sit in a craigslist Mercedes and get shot at? That should answer your question.

2. avatar Bob in Washington says:

You can say that again.

1. avatar dlj95118 says:

Some day one of these two will win the Darwin Award. I’m sure of it. *8)

3. avatar Steve says:

This is why only my friends and family that are gun friendly know I own guns. I don’t want to be lumped into the same shallow gene pool as these fucking morons. Give some more fuel to the liberals in Ny, Ca, Ct, Nj etc why don’t you.

1. avatar The average American says:

Not sure about the skinny guy but Matt Farrah is a auto journalist, I’ve never heard him talk about guns.

1. avatar lowhouse5 says:

The skinny guy is Rob Ferretti.
        He runs a site called Super Speeders: http://www.youtube.com/user/superspeedersRob
        I admit that I do find it entertaining and am also amazed at the amount of money they must have access to.

Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yd88whKZ28&list=PL214719B73EA1EC44

Yes, I’m a hypocrite.

2. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Actually the only “fucking moron” is the writer of this article. Why? Because Matt Farah and Rob Ferretti have both said that this was faked, and it’s glaringly obvious that’s true. Also, the only thing you have to ask is, Matt, who lives in LA, the land of video editing, is he really going to sit in a craigslist Mercedes and get shot at? That should answer your question.

4. avatar lowhouse5 says:

Lot’s of money and stupid.
    But the rest of us are going to pay for it.

A-holes.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Actually the only “a-hole” is the writer of this article. Why? Because Matt Farah and Rob Ferretti have both said that this was faked, and it’s glaringly obvious that’s true. Also, the only thing you have to ask is, Matt, who lives in LA, the land of video editing, is he really going to sit in a craigslist Mercedes and get shot at? That should answer your question.

When the human crash test dummy says “this is the dumbest idea ever,” then it must be the dumbest idea ever.

1. avatar DaveM says:

I am amazed how real the crash test dummies are now, they used to only crash cars
      Now they also,walk, talk do other stupid shit just like humans
      Technology, gotta love it

2. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

The video is actually fake… Just a heads up. Both Matt and Rob have came out and said so…

6. avatar The Original Brad says:

Depends on the armor level. I’ve shot 5.56 at level III lexan (not glass, laminated glass is old technology, no one uses it) and it takes many, many shots to penatrate. Most targets don’t stay still when you’re shooting at them. They do things like react. It would take a lot of 9mm rounds in the exact same spot to defeat lexan. A lot. You’re better off attacking it with an axe. The way that armor spalled and spidered, it’s got to be level II or lower.

1. avatar lowhouse5 says:

You realize he’s sitting in the car, right?
      While being shot at.
      Willingly, like it’s cool.

This isn’t about the armor level, it’s about two morons that make firearm owners look like a bunch of idiot bros.

7. avatar T says:

I really like Matt’s show but this right here, he and his friend takes a L.

8. avatar Frank Masotti says:

Irresponsible, stupid, deadly, and makes us all look bad.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Actually the only “stupid” individual is the writer of this article. Why? Because Matt Farah and Rob Ferretti have both said that this was faked, and it’s glaringly obvious that’s true. Also, the only thing you have to ask is, Matt, who lives in LA, the land of video editing, is he really going to sit in a craigslist Mercedes and get shot at? That should answer your question.

9. avatar jwm says:

These guys ought to be training with the Russians.

1. avatar Robb says:

Good call.

2. avatar Brian in WI says:

Maybe FPS Russia was the safety adviser for this video…

10. avatar The Original Brad says:

@ lowhouse5
    I wasn’t commenting on their intelligence. I was mostly responding to RF’s comments about shooting the glass and penetrating it with 9mm, eventually. I probably should have made that clear.

To further clarify, I lump these two into the same category of stupid as the guy who makes ballistic vests and shoots himself to prove they work.

Hope that clears up my post.

1. avatar lowhouse5 says:

No problem.
      This whole thing just goes against everything we fight for and really pisses me off.

11. avatar A-Rod says:

If things had gone awry at least the video cameras were recording. Maybe if Matt accidentally got hurt ‘A Friend’ would just get a ‘negligent homicide’ charge or the coroner would label it ‘Death by Misadventure’.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

It’s almost like…. The video is fake… As Matt and Rob have stated…. And the author of this article is just an imbecile…

12. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

This is almost worse than the Russians.
    Almost.

1. At least the Russians are actual special forces, actual and real tough guys.

13. avatar Kris says:

I still give it to the Russians.

14. avatar Maineuh says:

What could possibly go wrong? Shee whiz.

15. avatar pod says:

That poor Merc. The W140 (can only tell the chassis not the model in the video) is a future classic. It’s Teutonic. I miss the old slab-side Benzes.

And yes, the guys are idiots. There is no such thing as bulletproof. Also, it makes other firearms owners look bad. We have enough crap to deal with each and every time the issue comes up.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Actually the only “idiot” is the writer of this article. Why? Because Matt Farah and Rob Ferretti have both said that this was faked, and it’s glaringly obvious that’s true. Also, the only thing you have to ask is, Matt, who lives in LA, the land of video editing, is he really going to sit in a craigslist Mercedes and get shot at? That should answer your question.

16. avatar Gunr says:

Where exactly were the shots being directed? Was he actually aiming at the driver?

1. avatar joleme says:

from the looks of it he was hitting driver side door a few inches below the window.

17. avatar Dev says:

The bald guy says, “This is the dumbest idea ever.”

You think???

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

It’s actually fake, Matt and Rob have stated it after the video came out.

18. avatar Kyle says:

Generally if you can afford an Armored Limo, you can afford the machine gun toting goons that go with it, or if you are extra special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk

19. avatar Dennis says:

“Hold my beer and watch this!”

20. avatar Thomas Flournoy says:

I love Matt Farah, but this is some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen. He’s obviously not down with it at all, so whatever boss of his that asked him to do that should be ashamed of himself. Honestly, I would lose my job in a heartbeat over getting shot at, regardless of how bulletproof the car is supposed to be.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

It’s fake actually, Matt and Rob have stated so afterwards.

21. That bullet proof glass didn’t seem very heavy duty if it completely spidered like that after only one round.

22. avatar big blak says:

I like Matt farrah, this was grossly irresponsible compared to his usual antics.

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

The video is fake, Matt has stated so.

23. avatar Bob says:

As I recall, there is a guy who makes bulletproof leather jackets that requires a new employee to be shot at wearing one of his jackets on their first day of work.

24. avatar Jamesr says:

I find it interesting the guy w the gun asks “ready”? If he truly believed he was in no danger what does he have to be ready for?

1. avatar Noah Brigdan says:

Well the video is actually fake, so….. Done for effect?