Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence Statement on Facebook Policy

(courtesy ryot.org)

Statement from Dan Gross, Heidi Yewman, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence:

“This new policy is not a victory because Facebook continues to make it too easy for dangerous people to evade a background check when buying guns. A mere warning to follow the law and community-based reporting will not do enough to prevent unchecked gun sales to dangerous people,” says Daniel Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “As we and thousands of others have told Facebook, unlicensed gun sales have no place on the social network. Facebook should prohibit all posts that advertise the unlicensed sale or transfer of firearms in the United States. Sadly, it’s only a matter of time before a gun purchased through Facebook without a background check is used in a terrible tragedy . . .

“Facebook and Instagram are great platforms to share opinions, memories and photos, but they shouldn’t be providing opportunities for criminals to evade background checks and get guns,” says Heidi Yewman, spokesperson for the Million Mom March and Brady Campaign Chapters. “As a parent, I’m disappointed that an industry leader like Facebook is way behind on such an important issue involving the safety and security of us all. I stand with moms across the country and ask that Facebook and Instagram join Craigslist, Google and eBay and prohibit unlicensed gun sales.”

comments

1. avatar Michael F. says:

Cry me a river.

2. avatar Vhyrus says:

That first amendment thing is a bitch, ain’t it?

3. avatar michael nieto says:

they got a company run by an elitist liberal to change its policy slightly and we got California to go shall issue i think we are ahead.

1. avatar DrVino says:

Sshhhhhh……
      Don’t tell them…..

2. avatar Kelly in GA says:

So basically, we pushed two runs across on a bases loaded double to the gap in right center, and they managed to throw our catcher out at the plate to end the inning.

In other news, I’m ready for baseball.

1. avatar Josh H says:

Soon.

4. avatar Jim at the NSA says:

Comment moderated

1. avatar Mike Crognale says:

FLAME DELETED

2. avatar Jim at the NSA says:

Sorry my schadenfreude got the better of me.

5. “It’s only a matter of time!” – nice.

Then we’ll be able to get those shifty gun folks!

We’ll get you and your little dog, er, gun!

6. avatar JR says:

“This new policy is not a victory”

Well, hats off to them for seeing that. The Moms and Mayors did not even see that reality, at least as they tried to publicly spin it.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Yeah there are differences in delusion going on here.

2. Brady Campaign’s statement is more of a swipe against MAIG/MDA. There is animosity between the MAIG guy (Mark Glaze) and The Brady president (Dan Gross).

1. avatar Wood says:

The more they fight amounts themselves the better off we are. Just as when the CCW only crowd and the open carry crowd gripe at each other. Division = weakness.

3. avatar CCDWGuy says:

Maybe we can get Dirk to be a mediator between the two groups to help them, you know, get together….the two groups. That would be totally interesting.

1. avatar Fred says:

That would work if it were called the Brandy Campaign.

4. avatar Pulatso says:

The MDA/MAG reaction was spin. They have to save face, image and perception is all they have.

7. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

We are doing something right when we see the civilian disarmament machine begin to split.

8. avatar PeterC says:

Utter nonsense. Who in hell goes on Facebook to buy a gun? I’m no more likely to shop on Facebook for guns than I am to go to Starbucks for a socket wrench.

1. avatar Philip says:

umm according to my local FB gun page only like 17,000 people in my state, and it’s only growing by a measley 200 people per day. you know. no big deal.

9. avatar Kevin GA says:

Isn’t ” A mere warning to follow the law” what every law is, or face incarceration? So if this isn’t good enough for them now then how would any new gun law be effective?

1. avatar Daniel S. says:

Beat me to it. “Laws won’t stop criminals so we need more laws to stop them”

1. avatar Robert says:

I know… We should make it illegal to break the law. That’ll show ’em.

1. avatar Chip in Florida says:

Just wait until you see this new law we’re making! It is going to be so super-duper legally awesome that all criminals will simply vanish!

10. avatar Steve Truffer says:

I don’t think the policy changed. If I read correctly, FB did not permit users to use FB to do illegal things. Then they made a statement that FB does not permit users to use FB to do illegal things. They just pointed out that selling guns in an illegal manner is illegal.

11. avatar Gunr says:

Is this the place where somebody is suppose to come in and say “do it for the children”

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

That’s Heidi’s job: “As a mom…”

12. avatar Dracon1201 says:

Who seriously uses Craigslist anymore. Isn’t it kinda like Myspace at this point?

Who seriously uses Craigslist anymore.

Hookers.

13. avatar Dev says:

I love how these people enjoy their right to free speech while trying to repress our right to bear arms. NONE of these groups want honest discussion and compromise; they want total ban.

14. avatar Nine says:

“Facebook and Instagram are great platforms to share opinions*”

*Unless you disagree with us, in which case please die in a gutter.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Or we’ll moderate you out of existence. And lock Comments, so we can have a balanced discussion.

Awww, they sound so sad, it makes me want to give them a hug. And a finger.

16. If the Brady campaign is unhappy, that makes me very happy.

17. avatar LSUTigersFan says:

Day…made!!

18. avatar Charles says:

Wait a second pot calling kettle black moment. Heidi Yewman is the same person behind this piece of trash:http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/
    and all the kerfuffle that occurred with it. So good question to ask her is how did she get rid of her gun? Sell it back to a gun store, put and ad in the paper, or turn it into a police station for a gift card?

1. avatar LC Judas says:

Made it into a sculpture supposedly.

19. avatar MiniMe says:

What I find interesting is the blatant hypocrisy. And once again, it’s all about control.

20. avatar Jack in MT says:

If they’re so mad about it, maybe they should organize a boycott. I’m sure Facebook will get the message when 8 people cancel their accounts.

1. avatar Chip in Florida says:

The headline would be awesome!

Dozens of protesters cancelled their accounts today. As many as 30 people……

21. avatar Stan says:

Such sore losers.

22. avatar Scott says:

If we follow this line of logic, then the only responsible thing to do (for the children) would be to shut down all the printing presses, all the phone companies, and all the internet forums. Hell, why not just remove our tongues too, so we can’t speak at all….wait, then we could write, so off with the hands. Oh well, I guess they will just have to exterminate us all.

23. avatar Randy Drescher says:

“this policy is not a victory because good people can still buy guns to defend themselves” Fixed it for you brady’s. I thought the million mom march was(stay wth me moms) kaput. Sadly, it’s only a matter of time before another tm is killed, doing absolutely nothing wrong(he found that bag of womens jury on the sidewalk).

24. avatar Foster says:

So let me get this straight. Criminals use facebook to sell guns illegally? I think they would want to be, I don’t know, a little lower profile than putting it out there for everyone to see.

Second stay vigilant, Starbucks caved. Remember the antis want all guns made illegal.

Living behind enemy lines in CA.

25. avatar Matt G says:

Normally I’d come up with something intellectually stimulating to say but the best I can muster at the moment is a Nanner-Nanner-Nanner!

26. avatar WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot says:

Um, Miss Heidi, I don’t think it is Facebook who is the one that is behind.

27. avatar Michael says:

Just ask them how many of the last tragedy a were because of lawful gun transactions. How many massacres including the new town . Were because of lawful transactions or unlawful for that matter. In newton he killed his mom( broke the law) stole her lawful aquired guns(broke the law) and murdered innocent lives ( broke te law). I have four kids three girls and one boy and let me tell you it was a senseless act. But I am a former marine. Avid gun owner and shooter. And I tell you we live in a messed up world with messed up people. Gun laws do not help violence. Do not help murders. Do not help and thing. Just ask Chicago how well gun laws worked. Oh ya!!!!!! The Supreme Court says their laws are unconstitutional ? . When you are intelligent and effectively helping our country and the myrder rate, then I will suppose your crazy campaign. Until you follow the laws and constitutions that you obviously don’t care about the f”&!$ you. And by the way blame modern medicine, drug usage, Hollywood, and media before guns . Then weight get somewhere

1. avatar Randy Drescher says:

“I have four kids 3 girls & one boy and let me tell you it was a senseless act”, sorry for being a wiseass Michael.

28. avatar DerryM says:

So, is this the Brady Bunches’ way of flinging poo at MAIG and MDA? Sounds like their fellow gun grabbers effort wasn’t good enough for them. Somehow a hint of discord among the opposition gives me a warm-fuzzy.

29. avatar racer88 says:

Awww… that’s a shame.

30. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Time for the Brady bunch, Moms demand illegal actions with Mayors, and the Victim Propagation Center to close their Facebook accounts. If guns on facebook are too scary for them, they need to stop looking at them! It’s for the children.

31. avatar The Last Marine out says:

Well I can only say we must have some of most brain dead in the world or to have ever lived on the face of the earth….killers or drug dealers get stake dinner and sports and that is called jail… the middle class guy working hard for a living and doing no harm , just wants to live in peace and have a gun for defense or sports is bad………..no ,no , Amerika seems to have the sickest minds to have ever lived (gun control nuts) communist, socialist, liberals . neo-cons… Where have all these RATS come from ??????????/ starts in our controlled commie education , and anti-everything media and that counts the pack of lies at FOX and CNN too……..may they all burn in hell and will too !

32. avatar Dave s says:

Am sure that some would like our FB ID to be made public so they could put a bounty out on us terrible gun folks. Considering some of the commentaries I have read.

Unfortunately I fear some of the commentators might encourage the more literal of their followers.

33. avatar Scott Wilson says:

Bottom line end game is real simple:

Come and take them.

Good luck.

34. avatar Venator Magnus says:

The vast majority of illegal gun acquiring is done through theft, the black market, and straw purchases. Changing a FB policy isn’t going to prevent criminals from continuing to engage in illegal activity on the social networking platform through private messages, or on pages that go unreported to administrators.

35. avatar desertrat79 says:

Tears and rhetoric… All we ever hear when the Left doesn’t get their way. What do I know? It’s Bush’s fault and I’m a racist.

36. avatar cubby123 says:

These folks are so unbelievable.How could they possibly be that ignorant! Possibly the’Stupid Fog’ that seems to affect NY and California .I forgot Illinois and Wash DC too!

37. avatar Foster says:

What am I doing wrong. I can’t find any guns to buy on facebook? Are they talking about private posts between friends?

38. avatar Chip in Florida says:

“…I stand with moms across the country and ask that Facebook and Instagram join Craigslist, Google and eBay and prohibit unlicensed gun sales.”

Congratulations you, Facebook doesn’t sell guns at all, licensed or otherwise.

In other news, a man climbs a mountain and claims to be very high and a women goes swimming and claims she is wet.