Daily Digest: Weapons System Edition

This is from April of last year, when the Connecticut gun registration was being debated. A Connecticut citizen facing his elected representatives and telling them, point blank, “I will not comply with this unconstitutional law.” One of the politicians drones on for a bit, but don’t lose interest, because the best part is at the end. Domestic enemies, indeed. . .

Your Lockdown of the Day™ comes from Rifle, Colorado, where Rifle High School was briefly secured yesterday. A man considered a danger to himself caused police to ask school officials to implement a lockdown at 11:15 a.m., and it was lifted at 11:35 a.m. Police Lt. J.R. Boulton said, “The concern was for this individual and the proximity of the school.” The lockdown was lifted after the man was taken into custody.

National Shooting Sports Foundation Statement on Facebook Firearms Policy:

Facebook today acted to provide clarification to its policies on postings concerning firearms and agreed to provide educational messaging on its platform. We are in agreement that all applicable laws should be observed in the private transfer of firearms. We would have welcomed the opportunity to provide our industry’s perspective, however, and regret that we were not consulted. Facebook’s clarification will not affect the lawful commerce in firearm and ammunition products for NSSF members and their customers.

A Nebraska legislator has introduced a bill that would allow teachers and other school employees in that state to carry a concealed handgun in schools. Sen. Mark Christensen of Imperial said that the law is necessary as Nebraska schools vary in size, layout, access to law enforcement and ability to afford law enforcement. The bill provides an alternative for schools that can’t afford to hire law enforcement. School boards would have to approve the permits. To qualify for the permit, employees would have to take an additional 24 hours of training beyond the eight hours already required by Nebraska law to carry a concealed firearm. The training would include best practices for responding to a live shooting. The Nebraska Firearms Owners Association offered to subsidize the training costs.

A high school student in Morgan Twp, Indiana was arrested Friday for bringing a firearm onto school property. A student told administrators that a fellow student might have a firearm in his vehicle, and upon searching the car, police found an unloaded .410/.22 rifle and 140 rounds of ammunition in the trunk. The student told police he had it for his own protection. He said he meant to leave the rifle at a relative’s house before coming to school. He did not bring the rifle into the school, nor did he intend to harm anyone with it. He was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm on school property, a Class D felony. Under Indiana law, a student in possession of any type of firearm on school property must be expelled for at least one calendar year. “That’s the policy.”

National Shooting Sports Foundation President Steve Sanetti’s latest blog post highlights the release of the latest FBI preliminary Uniform Crime Statistics for the first half of 2013. The report shows that violent crime continued a 30-year-long downward trend, with murders falling by nearly 7 percent versus the same period in 2012, and overall violent crime fell by 5.4 percent. This in spite of the fact that firearms production in 2012 was more than 8.57 million, up 31% from 6.54 million in 2011. If you were to believe the civilian disarmament agitprop, we should all be wearing hip waders to get through the rivers of blood from all those firearms. You can, of course, bet that this report won’t get any play in the mass media, because it doesn’t conform to the party line.

Just a quick video of the new Beretta 1301 Tactical shotgun. Clearly designed for folks who would use it wearing gloves, it features aggressive texturing on the forend and grip area of the stock, as well as oversized controls on the bolt, bolt release, and safety.

A little known feature of YouTube videos is that you can use the numbers on your keyboard to jump around in 10% increments, e.g. hitting ‘5’ will put you at 50% and play from there. It will jump to that point every time you hit the button. Click in the window above while it’s playing and hit 5, and enjoy that sound a few times.

Operators Suppressor Systems (OSS) has a new design for suppressors that’s designed to cut down on the bolt velocity increase and gas blowback from the chamber. I don’t know enough to know if this snake oil or not, but it sure looks cool.

I wanted him to say “weapons system” just one more time.

comments

1. avatar Yvan91 says:

No tolerance, No Common Sense.

1. avatar WonderJay says:

“What are you going to do to those of us who will not comply with this law?” The reply? “That’s up to you, THAT’S YOUR RIGHT”. So they do know we have rights, who would have thought?

1. avatar Adub says:

You have a right to be a felon. lol

2. avatar Adub says:

I am so proud of that fireman. Since moving I have not had a chance to go to any meetings or rallies on 2A issues where I live, but I’d be so upset I’d say “If the police kick in my door, I am kicking in your door.”

2. avatar PeterK says:

Geez that rep. That guy is painful. What is this “I know this capital crap”? That’s supposed to make us all feel better? That’s how he sleeps at night? Wonder what he thinks now…

1. avatar Tom says:

That’s my rep and my state Sen. Those two just don’t get it. His whole bullshit of “well it would have passed anyway” makes zero sense. “I was just trying to protect mossberg” How exactly? CT is pretty well doomed. Not enough of us and too many of them. Truthfully, politically, we just don’t have the numbers.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Pass the hat a buy that slickyboy pol a chin implant. Weasel.libtard

3. avatar Maineuh says:

I love that feisty fireman. He manages to express himself well in spite of his growing agitation. I wonder what he’s up to now that the ban is a bona fide thing. Probably not filling out his registration forms.

4. avatar Noishkel says:

I commend the mans bravery. Although to me videos of people standing up just scream ‘SWAT ME’.

But you know… at the end of the day someone has to stand. Or else we’ll all fall.

1. avatar TheBear says:

Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the control of it.

Bravery is also not the actions of a man with nothing to lose, but the actions of a man who bets all he owns on what is right.

2. avatar Roscoe says:

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

5. avatar Skyler says:

Is the 1310 from Benelli or Beretta?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Beretta. I was watching a video on the Benelli Nova as I typed that, and my fingers got confused.

Text amended.

2. avatar Jeremy S says:

1301 and it’s Beretta. Looks like Matt took care of the typo. I’m supposed to have one of these bad boys on the way to me fairly soon and am looking forward to doing the review. I don’t currently have a semi-auto shotty in the stable so this one may be sticking around long term if it works out.

6. avatar Rokurota says:

Your Lockdown of the Day™ comes from Rifle, Colorado, where Rifle High School was briefly secured yesterday when administrators spotted the word “Rifle” on walls, signs and student clothing. Sensing a threat, students were asked to strip and school yearbooks were burned en masse.

1. avatar Maineuh says:

Glad you saw that, too. Thought I was hallucinating.

2. avatar Mark T says:

I work at another school in Rifle a mile away and we didn’t hear a thing about it. We’re in the part of CO that’s still very gun friendly and doesn’t freak out about stuff like this. Heck, even the police vehicles have a rifle on them.

3. avatar peirsonb says:

Is that a class II or class III image of a gun?

1. avatar Gene says:

LOL – Zero Tolerance!

7. avatar Maineuh says:

30-year firefighter. Navy vet. Husband, father, felon.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

“Felon”

It’s not that hard to do these days.

1. avatar Gene says:

Well, to some everyone is a felon – just haven’t been caught yet.

8. avatar Charles says:

No mention of the Governor of Virginia attempting to rewrite a clarification bill “quid pro quo” for his buddy Bloomberg?

If you live in Virginia and have NOT yet sent the VCDL’s pre-written email urging your Delegate to REJECT the Governor’s Amendment to HB 962, please do so now. Here is the link – it will take less than 30 SECONDS to send the message:

1. avatar William Burke says:

Thank you. Thank you a lot.

2. avatar blahpony says:

I did it the other day when I got the VCDL email.

3. avatar Gene says:

Did it when I got the alert.

TMac is such a tool and is deliberately trying trip people up. His change directly reverses storing in vehicles. Currently, the console does _not_ need to be locked when a gun is placed in it. With his change, folks that do not lock their console are violating the law. The dude out to get people.

9. avatar William Burke says:

The regs forbid me to speak of any person in particular, but that meeting – I saw some real slime in there.

10. avatar ST says:

I realize Benelli is imported by Beretta USA,but last I checked the 1301 was not made by Benelli.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I didn’t know the importation part. Interesting. The error was inadvertent. Amended.

2. avatar Gov. William J. Le Petomane says:

Beretta bought Benelli in 2000.

11. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

The operator operating the weapons systems during special operations would truly have a weapons system worthy of operating like a weapons system should.

1. avatar Taylor Tx says:

Ha yea I kind of felt that coming on when the word Operator was in the company name 🙂

2. avatar LongBeach says:

This comment is so f*cking operator I could barely read it. Go ahead and change your handle to Tier 1 Tom, you’ve been operationally promoted.

1. avatar TheBear says:

This thread is so operator I think I just grew picatinny rails on my crotch.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Penicillin should clear that right up.

2. avatar Semper Why says:

I would avoid any chance at putting the words “my crotch” near the words “aim point“.

3. avatar Gene says:

You forgot to use the word “chassis”.

1. avatar evan says:

You also forgot “tactical”.

12. avatar LongBeach says:

Sensible people, those Nebraskans.

13. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Lets hope the sabre rattling pays off & nobody gets killed.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Its working for Putin. Obuma wet himself and trying to distract.

14. That suppressor looks awesome.

1. avatar BillC says:

It is. This new design is generating a lot of interest. It will be interesting to see how it truly plays out in the real world and if it has staying power. I know it has gotten some special forces types dicks hard though. It sure sounds and looks expensive. CBA over traditional designs will be crucial for us common folk.

15. avatar Todd S says:

Is that an armored glove on the floor? Maybe a gauntlet?

1. avatar neiowa says:

That would be an awesome graphic for the issue. Throwing down the gauntlet. Better yet slap the bastards in the face with back of it (much more effective than the effeminate french slap with a calfskin glove).

16. avatar peirsonb says:

I feel ashamed to admit that until now I didn’t know there was a .410/.22 combo. May be a good choice for my daughter’s first long gun…..you know, if I can ever find .22 again….

1. avatar Todd S says:

What is this mythical .22 you speak of? Is it like .9mm?

1. avatar bozo says:

I think my grandpa shot a .22 often. I seem to remember him saying they were tons o fun.

2. avatar DownrangeFuture says:

You can get them double barreled break action, or as a barrel swap break action DA hammer fired job. Walmart has the latter I believe. My wife has one. She has .22LR, .410, .22-250, and .308 barrels. It’s kinda light though, so she doesn’t shoot the .308 much. Although I dropped a deer at ~125yds open sights with it turned quarter to me. So it’s fairly accurate.

3. avatar KCK says:

My buddie in High School had one,
      break action single shot apiece.
      Try to take the rabbit while it is sitting still.
      but when you miss and he starts running, you got ground skeet.

17. avatar former water walker says:

The kid with the rifle in his trunk was a fairly prominent story in Chicago news. I wouldn’t speculate why it was in his trunk. Aren’t most of the “bullied” taking guns to school just needing self defense? Or so we hear. Ironically this kid would probably be more dangerous DRIVING than storing guns in his trunk. Sorry his life is ruined.

1. avatar dies at the end says:

Just another failed “do something!” lawvomit policy.

Consider: the kid intended no harm, just made a mistake. Firearm was locked in car, no one was harmed. Therefore, the policy is irrelevant and unnecessary. If the kid had intended harm, the policy would not have deterred him. Therefore the policy is ineffective and useless.

18. avatar Dave s says: