In New Orleans, Police Are Only Two Hours Away

Teri Bice awoke recently to the sound of someone trying to break down the door of her New Orleans home. She then did what most Americans would do…she dialed 911. The only problem was no one answered at the other end . . .

From wwltv.com:

She documented her calls for help: two to 911; two to the NOPD’s non-emergency line; and one to NOPD’s Second District. The final call was answered and Bice confirms an officer showed up two hours after the attempted home invasion.

The problem appears to be a lack of sufficient operators for the city’s 911 system, and too many non-emergency callers. Bice credits the family dog with scaring off the home invader(s) that night.

Fortunately, Teri’s right to defend herself and her family are recognized by both the United States Constitution and a recently ratified amendment to the Louisiana State Constitution.

Teri has since decided that relying on police to arrive in time might not be the way to go and recently bought a Taurus .32. It’s a brilliant bit of active deterrence to show the revolver (clearly loaded) to the TV cameras. Would you decide to invade her house now?

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Gun Watch

comments

1. avatar John L. says:

I guess we have to learn that there’s no obligation to protect individuals, one person at a time.

Anyway, good for her. Here’s hoping she goes for some training and regular range time.

2. avatar Excedrine says:

When will people learn that the police are absolutely not in any way, shape, or form on any conceivable level whatsoever obligated to protect you?

End of.

1. avatar 2Alpha says:

“To follow-up and serve”

1. avatar Chris. says:

Nice.

“To follow-up and serve” papers.

2. avatar Col. Angus says:

“To protect (our pensions) and to serve (our unions).”

3. avatar djb says:

We deliver in thirty minutes or less or your body bags are free!

3. avatar 2Alpha says:

It’s a dangerous lesson learned.

1. avatar John L. says:

Or rather, a lesson learned dangerously, but that needn’t have been.

1. avatar 2Alpha says:

This is what I meant, just not as eloquently put.

4. avatar Curtis in IL says:

I wouldn’t decide to invade her house now.

But if I was a criminal, I might wait until no one was home, then burglarize it to get her Taurus .32.

Two things smart homeowners never do:
    1) Announce to the world that they have no guns.
    2) Announce to the world that they have guns.

1. avatar 2Alpha says:

I’m 97% sure the second is better than the first.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

No, it’s not, and here’s why:

Dumb criminals are not going to have a list of houses they saw on the news that have guns. They’re going to break into a house regardless.

Smart criminals MIGHT pay attention to the news; anyone smart enough to think about it will be smart enough to break in when they see the resident has left.

1. avatar GS650G says:

If a criminal was after guns, maybe. But it’s easier to steal something else from a home without guns than take a chance on one with.

5. avatar Another Robert says:

Odd, I can’t find any .32s at the Taurus link. Anyway, glad she got the message and did something about it.

1. avatar John L. says:

Gungenie came up with nothing of that caliber from Taurus, too.

I wonder if maybe, just possibly … *gasp* the reporter got the caliber wrong….

2. avatar Paul G. says:

Probably a .327 Federal Magnum. They also chamber 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W, and possibly more, I think 32 ACP semi-rimmed.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

.327 will chamber that cartridge, .32 Mag, the old .32 Long, and the original .32 S&W. Don’t think .32 ACP will work.

3. I looked at the recent Taurus web site, and did not find a .32. They do make the model 731, though. It is likely chambered in .32 H&R Magnum. I do not know why it is not listed at their site. It is essentially the same as a model 605.

4. avatar Another Robert says:

There ya go, don’t know why I assumed her gun was a new one.

6. avatar Mark N. says:

They were all down at Café du Monde eating beignets and drinking chicory coffee au lait. It’s the hot place to be at 2 a.m.

7. avatar JasonM says:

I wouldn’t want to invade her home. But I don’t think a Taurus .32 would scare me too much. I’d just wear a thick leather jacket and a fencing mask.
    If the Taurus even managed to fire properly, the round wouldn’t be able to touch me. 😉

Now if she’d purchased a S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc. in .38 or bigger, that’s a good deterrent.

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Looks more like a .38 which seems more likely since I don’t think taurus does .32

1. avatar Another Robert says:

I had a .32 acp, a Crvena Zasatava Model 70. Hollow points in the magazine had a bad tendency to get rim-locked, if I still had it I would only use FMJ. Actually, kind of do wish I still had it now.

1. avatar Sam Spade says:

I’ve been shooting a friend’s Beretta Tomcat 3032 off and on the last few of months. So far it’s fed three or four brands of hollow-points okay–wish it was easier to find ammo. I’ve been thinking seriously about getting one for myself.

I’m thinking about FMJ for carry ammo, though, if I buy one.

2. avatar Another Robert says:

Had my eye on one of those myself, but $300 + in pocket cash was a bit hard to come by. know a petite lady attorney that swears by hers. But I’ve read that FJ really is the best with .32 acp because you need all the penetration you can get.

2. avatar Another Robert says:

If it’s a modern Taurus .32, then it’s surely at least a .32 mag, which approaches .38 Spec ballistically. I wouldn’t want to get shot with one.

3. avatar Ardent says:

I’m almost with you and these numbers seem a lot like .25acp. I’d not stand still for a shooting from either but if you’re serious I’ll give you a go if that is what you’re using. If you win your best bet is to pick up my pistol and use that from now on since you’ve just gotten very lucky!

8. avatar Leadbelly says:

My wife and I will be visiting New Orleans in a couple of weeks. I’m pretty sure my Missouri CCW is honored in Louisiana, but does anyone here have any tips, warnings, local city laws – anything we need to look out for, gun law wise?

1. avatar John Phelps says:

Make sure you check on that carefully. I just took my CHL class in Texas, and our instructor warned us that Louisiana has some different laws. He gave us a website to check, unfortunately all of my stuff from the class is at home. I’ll see about getting it tonight and re-posting, if no one else does in the mean time.

1. avatar neiowa says:

My understanding is the most everything in La is assbackwards from the rest of the US where our civl law is based on English/British Common law. That in La civli law is based on FRENCH (=assbackwards). My understanding is the criminal law not same deal (as you have same Constitutional protections as in any other state).

1. avatar Mark N. says:

The law is based on a written code as opposed to a common law tradition developed by the courts’ decisions over time. When it comes right down to it, I think every state now has specific codes to follow on a lot of these matters, especially in criminal law matters. So no, it is not ass-backwards.

I’d bet USCCA has a portion of its web site devoted to the specific laws of each state and a chart as to which state’s CCWs are accepted. They used to anyway, seems they still should.

2. avatar cogline says:

I can be in New Orleans in less that 20 minutes, but it has been over 10 years since I set foot in it.

It may take the police more than 2 hours to respond, but if you park in the wrong spot you can be pretty sure someone will be along to write you a ticket within minutes.

3. avatar Another Robert says:

I understand that La. is technically an “open carry” state, in that it simply does not have a statute that criminalizes open carry, and there are court cases that say a person openly carrying a handgun is not committing any offense and is not, just by virtue of carrying, giving officers “reasonable suspicion” to stop him. But, I have also seen some of those Youtube vids where the local police still stop open carriers, claiming local ordinances, etc. (even if such ordinances do not exist).

9. avatar mdc says:

Never put your business our there, esp on Teevee.

10. avatar former water walker says:

I’d prefer the BG had NO IDEA if I had a gun. Plenty of gun theft in southern Cook County,Illinois. Where I live the cops show up in 1 or 2 minutes. Especially if you DON’T want em’ around.

11. avatar former water walker says:

I could be .327 magnum. Taurus has a lot of ex models.

12. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

It’s a damn joke when police tell you “Just call us” yeah sure, just buy a lottery ticket also!
    I don’t depend on ANYONE except MYSELF. That’s why I have taken a defensive handgun classes, carry a P229 almost all the time, AND have dogs. I may be a victim someday, but I’m sure as hell not going to be an easy victim, that much is for sure!
    I feel sorry for the poor shit head who walks up sometime and tries to rob me. It’s going to suck, but it’s going to be him, not me that leaves in a Ziploc. I won’t be victimized!

1. avatar Gunr says:

How fast the police respond may depend on how many lottery tickets you buy.

1. avatar Mark Lloyd says:

I almost always regret calling the police for ANYTHING.

2. avatar Gene says:

Or which gated community one lives in.

13. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Taurus .32 magnum. I was able to google it in 10 seconds. And I’m using my phone.

14. avatar former water walker says:

I’ve seen& handled the .327. Never seen the .32magnum in the flesh. Also sent from my phone( my wife won’t let me post on the computer-doesn’t want spam or gun ads screwing it up LOL)

15. avatar James says:

Given how well the New Orleans Police Department responded to Hurricane Katrina, I’m surprised that 911 calls get answered at all. A Taurus revolver is better than a sharp stick. However, when you live in a Third World metropolis you should purchase a bullet projection device that takes 30-round Magpuls.

16. avatar neiowa says:

When seconds count only ……. hours away.

17. avatar former water walker says:

Yeah I just looked at the.gun on a bigger screen. Older gun with a wood grip,no ribber.

18. avatar Mk1018 says:

My mantra repeated many times is….police serve themselves and protect thier pension. They are nothing more than report takers and assess local taxes.

19. avatar Pascal says:

I would love to know what the resident anti-gun at the post would say about this situation — everyone get a dog?

1. avatar Another Robert says:

That’s what one of the commenters said at the website where the story is reported. Seriously.

20. avatar Delbert Grady says:

At least she didnt fire warning shots and kill a pit bull.

21. avatar tommyr says:

I am not the least bit shocked. ARM YOURSELF people. Or……….

22. avatar Fjb says:

Living in New Orleans this is quite disturbing. It just happened again a few days after this happened when a person reported an attempted rape and the police never showed. I am so grateful that I am a gun owner as well as a concealed handgun permit holder.

23. avatar Southern Cross says:

And I thought Detroit cops 58 minute response was bad. The national average is 11 minutes. When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

24. avatar mb says:

i think it’s great that she invested in a taurus. i know there are better manufactures out there, but if a taurus is what someone can afford then i’d encourage them to get one by all means.

i’m a student myself and when i decided to begin carrying the only firearm i could afford for concealed carry was a taurus pt709. would a shield or glock 26 have been better options? of course.. but i would have had to spend a couple more bills than i could afford. so i decided to buy the taurus, practiced extensively with it, and its been my edc pistol ever since.

budgets may vary when it comes to firearms, but that shouldn’t discourage anyone from acquiring a tool necessary for exercising their right to self-defense.

1. avatar Another Robert says:

Hey, our resident photo-bomb hero was toting a Rossi snubby when he icon-nized himself and Shannon Watts. Rossi is basically Taurus’ “budget” line now…

1. avatar mb says:

really? that’s awesome.. i didn’t know that! and i’m sure he has a wide array of carry options at his disposal.

i just get a little annoyed by some gun snobs who are constantly coming down on taurus and other affordable brands. unfortunately this includes many gun shops and sales reps i’ve encountered. they seem to think that a $1K+ 1911 is the only way to go. annoying.

25. avatar 7.62x54r says:

Look. Call for pizza delivery. Some of those guys carry and get there a lot quicker than the cops.

26. avatar Gregolas says:

Called 911 in Jefferson Co. AL(Birmingham) two Saturdays ago to report a shattered car window as I drove. B/C that County has NINE 911 centers (they cannot get together and cooperate), I was passed to THREE different 911 centers before the third accepted me as in their jurisdiction. Good thing no one was bleeding to death or kicking in my door. It took 5 minutes to get someone to let them know that they might just have a shooter targeting cars on that stretch of the outerbelt.(Most likely just a rock thrown by a passing truck, but….)
    Lesson: local politics can render 911 ineffective. Be prepared Scouts!

27. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

You’re going to see this type of situation (no dispatchers on duty) increase in more states in the next decade.

Police and prison guard pensions are gobbling up city/town/county/state budgets the way a large dog wolfs down kibble.

As a result, the non-POST employees of the departments will be reduced to make sure the POST (ie, gun-carrying, badge-flashing) employees don’t see their pensions cut.

I’ve been seeing this situation coming on for the last six years as an investor who buys muni bonds. I’m now down to only about five states out of the 50 in which I will buy muni bonds, because the handwriting is on the wall in most all other states, and the precedent(s) coming out of the GM takeover, Detroit and other cities is that the Democrat Party (who runs many of the large, blighted urban centers in the US) and their minions in the public employee unions will screw the bondholders first, reduce current employee rolls (and thereby cut service levels) second, before any talk about restructuring the pensions occurs.

28. hi!,I like your writing very much! proportion we be in contact extra approximately your post on AOL? I need a specialist on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look forward to see you.