Detroit Burglars Keep Breaking In, Detroit Homeowners Keep Shooting Them

Image courtesy Bing Maps

What are you gonna do when some punk starts to break into your humble domicile in the middle of the night, and keeps coming at you even after you warn him you’re armed? If you’re armed, you’re gonna shoot the punk. It’s a lesson Detroit homeowners have learned. Detroit’s punks? Not so much . . .

From WXYZ.com:

Detroit Police say a woman shot and killed an intruder Friday afternoon at her home in the 22700 block of Grove. Police say a man in his 20s attempted to break into her home through a rear window. When the homeowner heard the noise, she grabbed her handgun and warned the invader that she was armed.

The suspect continued to break in and the woman shot him once in the chest.

We’re told he fled the scene and was found down the block. He was transported to a local hospital and was pronounced dead on arrival.

And there you have it. Choice > action > reaction > consequence. Some choices and actions, like home invasion robberies, are foolish. Some reactions, like homeowners defending themselves, are predictable. And some consequences are permanent.

Image courtesy Fox News

It was just last month that Detroit PD Chief James Craig called for more Motor City residents to follow the law and tool up for self-defense. It looks like all they needed was a little encouragement, because they’re answering the call. Big Time.

It was just last week that a Detroit mother used possibly the world’s worst-maintained Hi-Point carbine to repel a gang of home-invasion robbers. Just like the unnamed woman in today’s story, that mother warned the invaders that she was armed. And just like them, today’s dead criminal assumed she was bluffing.

For Detroit’s criminal underclass, this is not a safe assumption any longer. And thank God for that.

comments

1. avatar Logan says:

One shot, one kill. Nice aim!

2. avatar jwm says:

Some folks are just too stupid to live. Lady needs to put a gold star on her fridge. She gets 5 she’s an ace.

1. avatar Gunr says:

And when she gets 10 kills, she gets a “population control” award

1. avatar MothaLova says:

I’m hoping that the next GOP president has the guts to award Medals of Freedom to citizens who successfully drive off violent attackers by shooting them. Since the press and the schools hide the relevant facts from the public, we need politicians to get the information out there. And those who defend themselves and the rest of us from criminals deserve national honor.

1. avatar JR says:

I remember cheering when the SC Attorney General declared “Open Season” on home invaders in 2001.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Achievement Unlocked!

3. avatar ropingdown says:

The elementary schools are so busy suspending boys for making small-caliber finger guns that they don’t have time to teach the same boys that breaking-and-entering, forcible rape, and aggravated assault are serious crimes justifying the victim’s shooting you dead. I guess it’s just an economics quiz: “What is worth teaching our boys?”

1. avatar jwm says:

These are lessons boys and girls should be learning from their parents before they ever see a school.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

In a perfect world I would never need to carry. In a perfect world parents with drug and gambling problems would teach their kids what the basic laws are, and to not break them. But yep, the parents.

1. avatar Bob says:

“In a perfect world, you wouldn’t need guns. This is not a perfect world. — Sheriff Ben Johnson, Volusia County, Florida

2. avatar MothaLova says:

Yep – and their parents would continue to correct them as they went through school, especially since schools teach so many of the wrong things.

The parents? Who do you think taught the burglars how to use a crowbar.

1. avatar jwm says:

There’s more truth to that than not. I worked at a state prison. I saw generations of the same families in there. Truly disturbing and sad.

4. avatar Randy Drescher says:

What do you know, affirmative action really does work.

1. avatar Gunr says:

LOL, I love it!

5. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Good.

6. avatar T says:

Criminals in Detroit need to realize that hospital stretchers are awaiting when you break in someone’s home or business. The same applies with conceal carry. Just look at the dumb kid who try to taze a parent waiting for his daughter coming from school. 40 cal bullet is what he got.

1. avatar Semper Why says:

Huh. Do you have a link for this?

7. avatar Defens says:

Tragic. The suspect was just turning his life around, too.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

Now I get it! Climbing in through the smashed window feet first does mean he’s “turned himself around.” Picking a different house to rob is “trying to make a fresh start,” and being linked to by everyone in the gang shows “he was Liked by everyone.” It was code. I just didn’t catch on.

2. avatar Panzercat says:

The irony was so, so tasty.

3. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

So many aspiring rappers, so few bullets.

1. avatar Tommycat says:

I’m pretty sure there are enough to go around and give each of them their fair share.

4. avatar Aaron says:

yeah, once a thug gets shot they instantly were “turning their life around” right before it ended.

8. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Detroit PD could start handing out free ammo to residents. At least replacement ammo.

1. avatar MothaLova says:

If we had the negative income tax, as advocated by Milton Friedman, those receiving government “benefits” would simply receive cash, which they could use for anything they wanted, including the means of self-defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpgkX588nM (Buckley interviews Friedman on this topic)

I consider the negative income tax a compromise of conservative principles, but it would be about 100 times better than what we currently have.

1. avatar dwb says:

Glad to see this is finally catching on.

2. avatar peirsonb says:

I agree that it would be better than what we have, but I’ll have to mull it over a little before I can say I’d be behind it. At first glance I’m not so sure it would be as pretty as the Wikipedia summary (with no citations) would lead one to believe….

3. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Fair tax with ‘prebate’.

2. avatar sean says:

Actually, there was a case in Detroit.a few years ago. An elderly man shot and killed a home invader. The police had to take his weapon as part of the investigation. After his shift was over, one of the responding officers came back. With a replacement rifle for the man to use until he got his back.

My brothers are DPD. They LOVE when homeowners shoot back. It actualyl happens even more than is reported on the news.

1. avatar MothaLova says:

That is simply outstanding. Thanks for updating us. If you have the time, I’d love to see a full post on that topic at TTAG authored by you. Surely you have a number of similar stories…

3. avatar Swarf says:

“Alright, sir, what kind of ammo would you like as your replacement?”

“Ooooh, I reckon I’d like something exotic! You know, something expensive and hard to find.”

“Sir, .22LR isn’t really recommended as a defensive round.”

9. avatar Paul G. says:

Um, that isn’t in Detroit. That is Eastpointe, Detroit police have zero jurisdiction, not even the same county.

1. avatar sean says:

Actually, I think that is St. Clair Shores.

1. avatar neiowa says:

Got them a FIVE star general running things it appears.

10. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Welcome to my hometown. Now you know why I carry extra mags for the Glock when I go back. Just in case.

11. avatar Paul G. says:

Correction, it is Saint Clair Shores there, still not even the same county as Detroit.

1. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

This article about the incident:

also says “Detroit” … and mentions a Detroit PD spokesperson by name.

1. avatar sean says:

Weird, because the address given is in St. Clair shores. Across 8 mile, about 1 mile from the Detroit City limits.

2. avatar Paul G. says:

My step-daughter is a mile from there, I am 6 miles from there, and have even had donuts from that donut shop. It is SCS, not Detroit.

1. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

Ok. I make no claims of any personal knowledge re: this and I don’t live anywhere near there.

But, FWIW … according to Google maps, there is a “Grove Street” and/or “Grove Avenue” in Detroit that has a 22000 block but no 22700 block (south of McNichols Rd, west of Lahser Rd). And the person quoted in the detroitnews.com article, “Detroit Police 3rd Deputy Chief Rodney Johnson,” appears to be a PR guy for the Detroit PD. The second article also mentioned “west side of Detroit,” which is where the 22000 block of Grove St/Ave is located. The photo in the WXYZ picture appears to show the Church of Christ on Lahser Rd (at the end of the 22000 block of Grove in Detroit).

(FWIW, Google maps also does have a 22700 block on the Grove St in Saint Clair Shores.)

The fact that the the articles quote a Detroit cop by name makes me assume that the first article made a slight error with the address. The second article simply said “22000 block” and not “22700 block”.

Wherever it was, I’m glad that the homeowner was able to defend herself.

2. avatar Paul G. says:

I am betting that they have the wrong map. There was local TV news mention of a Detroit woman shooting an intruder coming through her window. I don’t know the address on that one though. Seems a few have happened of late, but I nor my step-daughter heard of one in our vicinity.
          The map is definitely of a Saint Clair Shores address.

3. avatar Delmarva Chip says:

I suspect you’re right … that the map on this TTAG article is simply wrong, and that the shooting actually was in Detroit. Glad you and your step-daughter are in a better area than Detroit itself.

4. avatar Paul G. says:

Me too, I used to work in the city. Now I only go into the city for entertainment purposes.

12. avatar dwb says:

… and the police keep cheering then on.

Police have said these results will make thieves think twice before barging into a home.

Good on them. How soon before Detroit is safer than Bodymore?

Is Bodymore near Baltimurder? If so, it’s already safe because of Maryland’s excellent gun laws. Right?

1. avatar dwb says:

FSA2013, keeping Maryland safe since 10/1/2013 baby!

So effing wierd that carry is coming to Chicago and Oakland before Bodymore.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

South-Southwest of Killadelphia.

3. avatar Aaron says:

Oh yeah, Baltiwhore is safe because of gun control alright. Safe for thugs and home invaders.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

Yesterday.

13. It’s nothing personal.. you just gotta do what you gotta do…

Yes, but if I find some uninvited pr1ck in my living room at 4AM, it’s going to get personal.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

What, are you planning on offering cornbread and having a chat?

1. avatar A-Rod says:

‘cornbread’ now that’s just racist. He might like a scone instead. haha

2. avatar jwm says:

How is cornbread racist? All us white boys from south of the mason/dixon love our cornbread.

3. avatar peirsonb says:

And, from what I gather, Ralph’s cornbread is worth the risk of breaking in at 4 am….

4. avatar jwm says:

We can’t be sure cause he won’t share the recipe.

5. avatar A-Rod says:

JWM, my comment was sarcastic. However, I think there ARE some who would seriously call it is racist. I mean, if the situation was that a black person came over to your house and you said ‘Hey, would you like some cornbread?’ they may take offense.

14. avatar tommyr says:

I LOVE these feel good stories! Kudos!

15. avatar DaveL says:

My wife used to work at a hospital in Detroit. You cannot imagine the level of criminal stupidity. Springtime was the time that young men would start showing up with injuries sustained from jumping off pedestrian bridges onto the freeway to evade police. It wasn’t as if these were life-sentence raps either. You can’t fix stupid.

Actually, you can fix stupid. You just have to fix it for good.

1. avatar jwm says:

No, you can’t fix stupid. But you can leave it bleeding out on the ground.

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

You might not be able to repair it, but you can certainly fix it..

*SNIP*

2. avatar maniakmedic says:

Detroit has a rutting season?

1. avatar 16V says:

There’s a horrible joke about ‘working bucks’ that you’ve opened the door for, but I shan’t drive thru…

3. avatar Aaron says:

As an effort to reduce recidivism in Detroit, they should raise the height of the pedestrian bridges to 50 feet.

16. avatar Maineuh says:

Son of a! If you’re away all day and think you can catch up with TTAG at the end of it, it’s pretty much a SOL scenario. Every single post today is shit I want to read. Damn you!

1. avatar Randy Drescher says:

You gotta keep chewing or your teeth grow through your head.

1. avatar Maineuh says:

I have no idea what that means, but I’ll be repeating it anyway.

1. avatar Randy Drescher says:

A rat has to keep chewing or die, I wasn’t calling you a rat though, just an overwhelmed reader.

17. avatar JLR84 says:

To be fair, I wouldn’t be particularly surprised if defensive gun uses are happening at the same rate but simply getting better reporting. On the flip side it doesn’t matter whether it’s really happening more often or not, if the bad guys turn on the TV and see more of their compatriots getting shot maybe they’ll take the hint.

1. avatar JR says:

No, they won’t take the hint. But the recidivism rate will go down.

18. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Actually, one of the trends in detroit now is for jackers to make people disrobe to prove they are not armed. Which is why your sidearm needs to be accessible.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Or practice deep, deep, deep concealment….

2. avatar Larry says:

I don’t think our conversation would get that far. Why would you try to please a jacker instead of shooting him?

19. avatar Grumpy in Kali says:

Guess you can fix stupid….

20. avatar Jake Tallman says:

You can’t just shoot someone Violence is never the answer! You need to tell them that you’re armed another 4 times, or until they get the hint and leave! Or fire two warning shots. Biden promised that that would work, and if you can’t trust the word of the Vice President, who can you trust?

/End Sarcasm

These punks should head to NYC or NJ. They’d have much better luck there, where the Police prefer their subjects unarmed and recommend against tooling up.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Violence is never the answer!

I get your sarcasm but I have to say I love the people that tout that saying like it’s the ultimate solution to all the world’s problems. It usually pi$$es them off when I say that “Violence is rarely THE answer, but it is always AN answer.”

1. avatar stokeslawyer says:

This reminds me of a scene from Starship Troopers.

Dizzy: My mother always told me that violence doesn’t solve anything.

Jean Rasczak: Really? I wonder what the city founders of Hiroshima would have to say about that.

[to Carmen]

Jean Rasczak: You.

Carmen: They wouldn’t say anything. Hiroshima was destroyed.

Jean Rasczak: Correct. Naked force has resolved more conflicts throughout history than any other factor. The contrary opinion, that violence doesn’t solve anything, is wishful thinking at its worst; people who forget that always die.

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Good movie. It doesn’t hold up in comparison to the book, but still a good movie. I’m glad they never made a sequel….

2. avatar Andy says:

Wishful thinking there, Piersonb… Deny it all you like, but there ARE 2 more movies, and one of them introduces the marauder suits they SHOULD have had in the first place…

Crappy movies, mind you, but they do exist…

2. avatar Larry says:

I agree that violence is never the answer, nor is anger. Peacefully, calmly, and with love in your heart, draw and fire until all is peaceful again.

21. avatar Hannibal says:

Just proves these crooks don’t learn.

They seem to decrease in number when shot, though.

22. avatar Bill Jewell says:

How does the old saying go? It is not the severity of the penalty but the certainty of it?

1. avatar ropingdown says:

So true. But the apprehension rate has to be up around 99% before the really stupid ones get it.

We’re counting on you, Housewives of Detroit.

23. avatar cbay says:

Two to the chest………..oops………..missed the one to the head! That’s okay, he probably ran to fast. She took her training seriously!

24. avatar Phantom72 says:

The mention of police, & the fact there’s a “Donut Express” on the map made me snicker a little…

25. avatar Southern Cross says:

Gun control advocates are going to be very upset. The “victims” were potential Democrat voters.

1. avatar Steve says:

I doubt that any of them could vote at all. Felons have lost their right to vote.

1. avatar Paul G. says:

Does that mean they no longer are required to pay taxes as well? Or do they get taxation without representation?

2. avatar Aaron says:

only if they ave a felony conviction on their record.

before that, some of them vote over and over!

3. avatar Aaron says:

BTW, there is NO constitutional right to vote

1. avatar Paul G. says:

But taxation without representation really stuck in the craw of the founders.

26. avatar A-Rod says:

The ethnicity of the victim and the criminal were not mentioned but I have to assume this is that ‘black on black’ crime in the inner city that threatens to take away the guns of white people in suburbia and rural communities. Yeah, I see the connection.

27. avatar Malcolm says:

I live in the Detroit area, and there has been a noticeable shift in the public attitude toward crimmials, starting in 2000 when MI changed from a ‘may issue’ state to a ‘shall issue’ state, and especially since 2008 when there was a rush to get CPL’s when concern grew that the Obama administration would somehow attempt to limit future permits.

In my opinion, the Michigan CPL process is textbook… for the law abiding citizen it’s easy, for the crimmial it’s impossible, with multiple layers of background checks to weed out the crimminal element but still ultra-convenient for the average citizen.

To this add the Michigan lethal force laws (Act 311 of 2006 section 780.951) which declares that it is a ‘rebuttable presumption’ that a shooting is justified in the event of carjacking, sexual assault and home invasion.

Then add in the MASSIVE number of CPL’s that have been issued to law abiding citizens throughout the state (CPL classes are a HUGE industry around here)

Then add the game of ‘victim roulette” where (because we don’t exercise open carry), the crimmial can never know whether their next victim is armed.

And finally (and very important)… add a police department and city administration which is FINALLY siding in favor of justified self defense, and the result is a very bad time for the street crimminal.

Last year, for example, we had 3 justified shootings in under 2 weeks. In 2 of the cases, the shooter wasn’t even taken in to the police station, and they were handed back their weapon at the scene.

The detroit area, which has suffered from violent crime for years, is finally starting to turn the tables on the crimminal element, and I, for one, am optimistic.

1. avatar Paul G. says:

A lot of people do still exercise open carry.

28. avatar ready,fire,aim says:

Jesus-H… thats my ole stomping grounds in st clair shores…when I left for Texas 6 years ago I thought it was a changing but Jeeze….

29. avatar Semper Why says:

Someone else here said it first, but I still love it.

“Some Moms demand action, other Moms take action.”

1. avatar Aaron says:

and some moms give a little action

oh no, I didn’t just say that!

30. avatar Aaron says:

I bet homeowners with guns can do more to raise Detroit’s academic performance on standardized tests than a $10 billion education grant from the feds could.

call it the “Ruger-Darwin” effect.

31. avatar Steve says:

It is called NATURAL SELECTION. Survival of the armed, extinction of the stupid. Keep filling those graves Detroit!

32. avatar sean says:

It happened again today, west side of Detroit

The best part is the statement by the DPD spokesperson. Bascially, he said “GOOD”

33. avatar Matt says:

Another home invader was shot and killed by a homeowner yesterday on Detroit’s west side. It is the 5th time in 2 weeks that an armed homeowner has repelled intruders (resulting in 3 dead bad guys).

edit: Post above already beat me to it.