Governor Cuomo: I Give Verbal Permission to Commissioners to Carry in State Buildings

Jerome Heuer (back left) (courtesy newsday.com)

This story just keeps getting better/worse. It all started when New York’s Director of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services [above, top left] used his handgun’s laser as a pointer to illustrate a Powerpoint presentation. In doing so, Jerome Hauer lasered the heads of his audience. In a secret subterranean room in the bowels of the New York State Police HQ. Where he was prohibited from carrying a firearm. This earned Mr. Hauer TTAG’s not-so-coveted Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day award. And then, weeks later . . .

Mr. Hauer responded to the firearms furor with all sorts of outrageous claims and unsubstantiated assertions. The most ridiculous of these: it was OK for him to carry where he was prohibited from doing so because he’d received verbal permission. From whom he didn’t say. And if you think that’s both a lie and, legally speaking, bullshit, today’s development [via blog.timesunion.com] will do little to disabuse you of that notion.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday said he is OK with his commissioners wearing weapons in the workplace as long as they have a license to carry.

Quick aside here: we still don’t know if Commissioner Hauer has a New York State permit to carry a concealed weapon. And even if he does now (what are the odds?), if he didn’t have one when he whipped out his pistol in the State Police HQ, he committed a felony. And should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, just as anyone else would be in a similar situation. Also, it’s one thing to “wear a weapon in the workplace” and another to wave it around in a conference, lasering attendees.

Cuomo qualified his statement to say he was comfortable with commissioners wearing a gun as long as they have a permit “and they’re in that field of work.”

He didn’t explain further.

Whether or not Governor Cuomo is “comfortable” with government officials breaking the law doesn’t change the fact that they’re breaking the law. Once again the gun grabbers’ hypocrisy is stunning. One law for us, another law for everyone else. Will no one rid us of these turbulent politicians? Without bloodshed, thank you very much.

comments

1. avatar jirdesteva says:

You __________________________________________(Insert most pro-fain adjective(s) you can think of) Androgynous Cuomo need to stop changing the rules as you make up the game!

1. avatar pyratemime says:

He is just trying to show he is ready to be President.

2. avatar Paranoid Android says:

Seconded. That little ________ __________ grandma lookin ______ needs someone to smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper (or standard capacity mag).

Fascist f.ck. makes a bad name for politicians everywhere. Liberals and conservatives alike.

3. avatar Mike says:

________Politician____________

4. avatar NJ Joe says:

To paraphrase Bob Grant (Talk show host from NYC radio WABC-AM when talking to Cuomo Sr., then Gov. of NY)… Hey Andrew, azienda me…tu se profiono sfacim! (translation: “Hey Andrew, listen to me…you’re a JERK!”)

1. avatar Pat M says:

And He Is!

5. avatar Hal says:

New York State Government = organized crime.

Reason 864 why I never visit that shithole. The Italian food is better in Philly anyway.

6. avatar Mina says:

standard Liberal modus operandi.

1. avatar Arnie says:

How confused will you be when you realize that *gasp* Republicans have also been playing a part in trying to disarm us?

2. avatar Jeremy S says:

Ugh. How this doesn’t incense even their supporters, or supporters of “gun control” and such in general, I will never understand. Double standards and hypocrisy should bother everyone. I would think double standards would especially bother “the Left” — what with their ideology of fairness and equal treatment for all — but I would be completely wrong.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“I would think double standards would especially bother “the Left””

If progressives didn’t have double standards, they wouldn’t have any standards at all.

1. avatar Freeheel says:

^^^this^^^

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Word.

(And some damn funny ones at that).

2. avatar Jan says:

It’s because the most avid gun-control supporter truly believes the government has their best interest in mind when passing laws. In their mind, only government thugs should have guns because they’re job is to protect us. At least until they call for help and no one answers. That’s what changed my wife’s mind. My mother on the other hand…

3. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Theftist ideology is “fairness” and “equality” (NOT equal treatment), but they define both words in terms of double standards.

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

Well, there’s no better proof of ruling by fiat and applying standards arbitrarily than when it comes from the person’s own mouth, I suppose. Not that I expect it will matter much. He’s basically untouchable.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

Yup. In NY, the Cuomo’s are like the Daley’s in Illinois.

2. avatar Mack Bolan says:

He’s basically untouchable.

Are you talking politically or ballistically?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

The former, of course. I’m not touching the latter.

2. avatar BDub says:

“Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I’ll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger ’til it goes ‘click.’” – The Jesus

1. avatar Mk10108 says:

From the burning bush

4. avatar launchpadmech says:

We will stand our ground, like or not. Besides they can’t hit the backside of a barn

5. avatar Excedrine says:

“Will no one rid us of these turbulent politicians? Without bloodshed, thank you very much.”

Not as long as our own largely apathetic, politically illiterate, and willfully ignorant electorate still so completely buy into the patently false left-right narrative, no.

We could certainly avoid bloodshed at the State level.

As for D.C.? Well, I really sincerely doubt that the Powers That Be want to know what I would rather have happen to them, so I’ll keep those thoughts to myself. 😉

1. avatar James says:

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s the left-right paradigm here either. We have people in power that have forsaken the rule of law to satisfy their own feelings and whims as illustrated here by Gov Cuomo’s looking the other way when it is someone he likes. Similarly, in Wisconsin, several DA has decided to abuse their power by investigating political opponents in a clearly one sided witch hunt that was basically justified by saying, “my political opposite won, so he must have cheated”. Then when you throw in the scandals at the IRS and DOJ, you have a primer for an irreversible explosive situation. When those in position of elected office decide the laws do not apply equally, you no longer have rule of law, you have a choice, either surrender and let “laws” be selectively enforced, or fight, with armed insurrection if necessary. It’s sad that we’re coming to this point, but with those like Cuomo, they made their choice, and put the ball in our court for our choice.

1. avatar SAS 2008 says:

Every time I hear one of these stories I also think about how the rule of law is a dead concept for these people. When a gun owner does something stupid we all think about which of the four rules he or she has broken.

Coincidentally http://worldjusticeproject.org/what-rule-law has four principles for the rule of law. I wish these people were self-policing and would do the same regarding the rule of law whenever one of them does something stupid like this. It is our responsibility to remove these people from office, peacefully.

For reference here are the four principles. I would say they are violating 1, 2 and 3

What is the Rule of Law?

The rule of law is a system in which the following four universal principles are upheld:
        1.The government and its officials and agents as well as individuals and private entities are accountable under the law.
        2.The laws are clear, publicized, stable and just, are applied evenly, and protect fundamental rights, including the security of persons and property.
        3.The process by which the laws are enacted, administered and enforced is accessible, fair and efficient.
        4.Justice is delivered timely by competent, ethical, and independent representatives and neutrals who are of sufficient number, have adequate resources, and reflect the makeup of the communities they serve.

6. avatar Shire-man says:

It really explains a lot if the morons who oppress the rest of us honestly feel the restrictions they put on our lives simply do not apply to them.

So my question is where do I apply for ine of these “I’m special and exempt from my own bullshit and all of your bullshit too” cards that lets me decide which laws apply to who and when?

Maybe David Gregory will lend me his for a weekend.

7. avatar Paul53, aka Ima Yeti says:

Wonder who died and made him God?

1. avatar Ing says:

God. Apparently.

1. avatar Sammy says:

You spelled it backwards.

8. avatar Ing says:

King Henry II could have learned a thing or two from you about the rhetorical use of qualifiers.

That said, there are plenty of ways to rid the world of a turbulent person without literally shedding blood. Am I the man to do it? No…but I know a guy. (Just kidding. Rita at the NSA probably already knows this, but just in case the algorithm flags me…hi, Rita! Hope you’re doing well.)

1. avatar Manimal says:

Referencing Rita = jumping the shark

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

And she went to DIA as a contractor last month. Mo’ money…

2. avatar Ing says:

Oh, I see. Apparently the Rita at the NSA meme died three weeks ago. Right when I first heard it.

9. avatar CA.Ben says:

From this picture of Cuomo, I can only draw one conclusion. It seems as if the amount of shit spewed by someone is directly proportional to how large their mouth is…

10. avatar M J Johnson says:

It never ceases to amaze me how arrogant some politicians can be.

11. avatar NJDevil says:

The normal parts if New York have got to get together and vote these people out of office. Cuomo is doing to the state what Bloomberg did to the city, taking it over as his own personal; fiefdom.

1. avatar Daily Beatings says:

What do you expect in New York from “Il Duce”?

“All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.” – Benito Mussolini

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Let’s change that to Ill Deuce. ‘Coz this is some sick shit.

12. avatar sarah says:

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Boom!

Nice Animal Farm ref, Sarah.

2. avatar BTinAfghan says:

You beat me to it, absolutely right.

3. avatar JoshtheViking says:

Just bought that book. I’ve always wanted to read it.

1. avatar KCK says:

Don’t have to read it, we’re starting to live it. With stuff stuff like this.

13. avatar WI Patriot says:

“Do as I say, not as I do”…One of the many mantra’s of the elitist/leftist/liberal bastards…

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

And, parents, parents do that…

1. avatar peirsonb says:

Plan on using myself in the near future. Quite a bit.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I use it almost daily… Because I say so is another good one, liberals stole that one from parents too.

14. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

The “Director” part of his title means he pushes pencils all day, so we can throw out any idea that he might be “highly trained.”

Let alone the fact that he was muzzling people and using his gun as pointer, which is true the sign of a rank amateur.

1. avatar Ardent says:

Agreed. A detachable laser that has been removed from the pistol being used as a pointer in a very gun-comfortable group could still be bad form, but to actually use the pistol as a pointer would only be appropriate for mercenaries in a Hollywood film.

Also, lasing the audience with a non-gun laser pointer is rude and potentially dangerous. I can only conclude that this idiot couldn’t be trusted with a laser pointer, let alone a gun.

I love guns, carry them anywhere I legally can and frequently carry a .380 BU with a built in laser. I’m extremely comfortable with guns, frequently travel in circles where everyone else is armed and have been life long ‘gun guys’, and I don’t believe in rules for the sake of rules regarding gun handling (read that as if it’s not actually dangerous or stupid then I’m not bothered by it). Having said all that I can’t imagine ever using my pistol as a pointer, even in my cousins garage alone with him and both of us lifelong gun guys who trust each other implicitly in terms of both intention and competency. It creates an unnecessary, potentially dangerous situation, it’s bad etiquette and it’s hard to imagine a good reason for it. Now transfer that to the office, with workers instead of close friends and in a building where possession of the gun is illegal to begin with and to use it as a pointer suggests a total lack of respect for the law, a complete disregard for the safety of others and some serious issues with appropriate behavior based on context.

Whether it’s prosecutable as a crime or not it should at least result in termination of employment.

1. avatar KCK says:

You layered that so nicely on the levels of idiocy and illegality.
        I can carry in state office buildings in Wisconsin but if it comes out of the holster, I would be be taken down.
        So this guy carries where he should not and then brandishes. Did he get a verbal OK to brandish?
        See how the lump all that gun behavior into “carry” for which he had “permission”.
        No crime here, move along

15. avatar Mediocrates says:

Maybe he should ask Obama. He’s pretty keen on handing out exemptions to duly enacted laws.

16. avatar Defens says:

Giving commissioners his “permission” to disobey the law sounds like conspiracy to commit a felony to me. Since the AG won’t prosecute in the face of willful non-compliance with the law, shouldn’t this go to the Federal AG’s office – oh. Nevermind.

It also appears to be grounds for impeachment, if NY has that option.

17. avatar BDub says:

turbulent? I think you mean petulant.

The thing that absolutely amazes me, is that these politicians would at least have my respect, though not my agreement, if they stood by their stated principles, instead of casually sweeping them aside to help their cronies all the time.

18. avatar Chris says:

If the law doesn’t apply to everyone it applies to no one.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Except not so much with Obamacare. Or gun control. Or 4th Amendment rights. Or traffic laws for political elites. Or drug use for wealthy celebrities. Or tax laws for the politically connected.

Equal application of the law does not exist in today’s America.

19. avatar Justin_GA says:

I can’t help it……..New Yorkers should be ashamed for voting for this Sh*T bag

1. avatar Sammy says:

And for electing a Sandinistan to the office of Mayor of a once fun town. These are not the New Yorkers I lived among.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Wagner would have beaten the sh!t out of diBlasio and thrown the corpse into the East River.

20. avatar J says:

Elitism is baked deeply into these officials’ mindsets. They are the officers. Everyone else is a subject. They make laws to force other people to live certain ways.

21. avatar Randy Drescher says:

I really thought bush was bad, he wasn’t even trying compared to these yo yo’s & our esteemed dictator in chief.

22. avatar Sammy says:

Obama (D) dictates law enforcement Federally. Check

Cu-mo (D) dictates law and acceptable civilian attitudes in NY. Check

But just let [Fill in name here] (R) try anything through legislative procedures and all hell breaks loose complete with physical violence and property damage from the people who believe we should be disarmed.

23. avatar Maineuh says:

So, this dildo takes it out in public and displays it in a highly irresponsible matter and there won’t be ANY consequences? They’re going to overlook the law end of it AND the mishandling? I agree with whomever stated it above. How can anybody from either side of the debate be okay with this? Man, catch me in NY any time soon.

24. avatar T says:

What a Hypocrite!

25. avatar Haiku Guy says:

Andrew… azienda me…tu se profiono sfacim

26. avatar Paul53, aka Ima Yeti says:

The Constitution is there to remind all that the people have the power and only let politicians use it, as long as they behave. When will New Yorkers catch on and yank this idiots leash?

Did you expect anything else from Gov. Mussolini?

28. avatar Sammy says:

Every picture I see of dis guy reminds me of an angry evil Nave of Hearts. That condescending down turn of the corners of his mouth really creep me out.

29. avatar cubby123 says:

It’s ok for my friends,YOU !!! we prosecute!!!

30. avatar cubby123 says:

Keep Fighting these Bastards ,tooth and nail.Total double standards, Any body who has been through CCW classes knows more than this IGNORAMUS or any of those COMPLETE IDIOTS. Typical NEW YORK good ole boy LAMEBRAINS CARRYING GUNS! Now there’s the real danger to the populas!

31. avatar ihatetrees says:

As a Buffalo area NYer, I’ve suggested before that those who have NY State AND NY City carry permits should be explicitly excluded from any sort of free-state reciprocity agreements.

My apologies to NYC residents like Sean Hannity – but they are hardly innocent. They choose to live and make deals with a KGB-level thugocracy.

1. avatar Amram says:

Sean Hannity says he is moving to Texas in 2016, or so I hear,

32. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

“Commited to recovery” so is the NY governorship a rehab program for reality?

33. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Right up there with David Gregory.
    Pick and choose who the law applies to.

34. avatar Greg in Allston says:

What a lower order primate Mr. Cuomo is.

35. avatar Jus Bill says:

You neglected to mention that the attendees were an official delegation from Sweden, not the local Scout troop. So that makes it an international incident. World Court, anyone?

And that “Committed to Recovery” sign… Is this an ALANON meeting? They all should be committed until they recover.

Finally, why are they all wearing 4H jackets?

1. avatar Hannibal says:

Yeah makes you wonder why the international communities thinks of us as cowboys.

1. Not a bad thing, in some ways. In much of the world, it is assumed that Americans are armed.

36. avatar Hannibal says:

So… normal people, even normal employees can’t carry in those buildings but commissioners can? Why?

And whatever the stated reason, please phrase it in such a form to explain how it makes sense to have such a rule when the commissioner is the one waving a gun around and pointing it at people.

He really does think like a little tyrant.

37. avatar Avid Reader says:

OK, serfs. Back to work.

King Andrew has spoken.

Putz.

38. avatar MiniMe says:

Guv’nor douchebag really needs pull that giant sequoia out of his butt.

39. avatar JoshtheViking says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but we were founded as a nation of laws and not of men (in other words, laws apply equally to everyone). I guess if this idiot said that it was okay for one of his lackeys to kick a pregnant woman in the stomach they wouldn’t get in trouble for it because the Ultra Supreme Grand Chairman told them it was okay.

40. avatar jr says:

Yup nys is bullsh**.

41. avatar Jeff says:

Cuomo looks and sounds like an ’80s movie villain mayor/governor.

42. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

Why does “Without bloodshed, thank you very much” sound so much like “Just don’t leave a mark”?

43. avatar FoRealz? says:

Cuomo’s mannerisms irritate me. He always comes across as a condescending know it all, and he just has that damn goofy expression on his face like he doesn’t know if he should fart or giggle next.

I’m glad I am not welcome in his state.

44. avatar fuque says:

You know, I just dont get it..New Yorkers are always bragging about how tough they are, since 9/11, they portray the tough guy image on tv. in interviews.. yet they are the biggest pussys in the country when it comes to giving up their rights.. they would roll over and sell their own mothers if someone told them it would make them feel safer.

45. avatar Tile floor says:

Cuomo is a worthless piece of garbage

46. avatar Big Steve says:

It seems more and more that the left is saying it is ok for THEM to carry but not for the right as if they (the left) are the responsibile ones with firearms. NOTE: All of the mass shooters except for one in the last 20 years were ultra left nutbags

1. It has always been thus. The left really does not have a problem with guns. They have a problem with *other people* having guns. They always expect that they will be able to get an exception.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Nailed it!

2. avatar Arnie says:

“There’s no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons,”
        Ronald Reagan

47. avatar KCK says:

Remember the Veteran ftom somewhere, maybe the midwest at the Empire State building and the out of town woman at Ground Zero who saw the signs and tried to check thier guns.
    What ever happened to them?

48. avatar KCK says:

Can’t an average Joe citizen sign a complaint, just like if they saw their neighbor with a gun. Wouldn’t that have to be investigated to see if indeed a crime has been committed?

49. avatar slow says:

“As Governor, I can do whatever I want.”

50. avatar Arnie says:

“I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense. But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home.” —Ronald Reagan, at his birthday celebration in 1989.