New From SeaLife: Sea Dragon Mini 600 Light

4534605

SeaLife’s made it’s bones producing cameras and related photographic gear for SCUBA divers. And that’s no mean feat. Your products have to take a high pressure salt water licking and keep on ticking. Now, someone at the company looked at their Sea Dragon Mini 600 light and figured something that tough that cranks out 600 lumens would be perfectly suited for tactical work…as in clamped onto a Picatinny rail. On/off may be an issue for some, as the light’s designed to work by twisting the bezel rather than a more traditional press of a switch. But if you’ll be taking your rifle (or spear gun) down as far as 330 feet for an assault on SPECTRE’s underwater lair, this is the light for you . . .

MOORESTOWN, N.J. (Feb. 21, 2014) — SeaLife®, a leader in underwater photographic equipment, has introduced its new Sea Dragon Mini 600 light to the tactical market. Extremely powerful, durable and versatile, the Sea Dragon Mini 600 blasts a wide beam of bright, uniform illumination that’s unprecedented among compact weapon lights.

Originally designed as a dive light to illuminate underwater subjects evenly for wide-angle illumination and photography down to 330 ft., the features of the Sea Dragon Mini 600 make it exceptionally beneficial in the tactical environment. While most weapon lights focus their beams into a concentrated spot to maximize brightness of their elements, the Sea Dragon utilizes a single newly developed CREE XM-L2 LED and a purposefully designed smooth reflector to create a 75-degree circular flood at a blinding 600 lumens. The Sea Dragon’s wide field-of-light output makes identifying secondary threats—or non-threats—in close-quarters operations instantaneous and fluid.

The Sea Dragon’s solid polycarbonate body was intentionally designed without switches, which can fail when operating in harsh environments. Rather, a simple 3-degree twist of the anodized aluminum bezel turns on the light. Precise threading and three sealing O-rings between the bezel and the body make activation smooth, silent, reliable and predictable.

Internal shockproof electronics provide two settings that allow the user to select either 100-percent or 40-percent power with an easy “on-off-on” cycling of the light. A pair of CR123 lithium ion batteries provide a burn-time of 60 minutes at full power, while a single rechargeable Tenergy 18650 li-on battery (optional) will operate the Sea Dragon for 100 minutes on full power.

The Sea Dragon Mini 600 weighs just 3.5 ounces (without batteries) and measures 5 inches long with a head diameter of 1.3-inch inches. Each light includes a Y-S monopod adaptor, a cold-shoe adaptor for a standard camera and a GoPro® adapter, as well as a safety lanyard for hand use, 0-ring lube and batteries. The suggested retail price is $129.95. The offset Picatinny rail adaptor is available separately for $19.95, and a spot-beam head is also available.

comments

1. avatar Michael says:

I Need this flashlight for the underwater knife fighting curse I am going to take.

1. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

My God, it never even occurred to me to research whether zombies could swim. I guess I just assumed. How could I have been such a fool?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

They walk. Haven’t you read World War Z?

If not, you should.

1. avatar John Phelps says:

Good book! I’m about halfway through it myself (got too distracted this week researching guns to do more reading, but I will get back to it this weekend).

2. avatar C says:

They cannot. But they can still walk along the bottom. I guess they could potentially float depending on decomposition

2. avatar lolinski says:

Would be interested if there was some form of tail switch. Or any other way to activate it with one hand.

1. avatar Stephen M. says:

I’d wager the reason there’s not has something to do with the pressures related to depth, since this is after all a SCUBA company.

1. avatar JH says:

It can be done with a magnetic switch in the tailcap.

3. avatar Vhyrus says:

The light mount pictured is an excellent mount. I bought it off of amazon for 6 bucks shipped and I liked it so much I bought a second one.

That is all.

1. avatar John Phelps says:

Mind if I ask which one you ordered? I found several there, none look quite like the one in the picture, nor cost $6. I did find one for less, like $2.30-something, but has a crappier looking clamp). Most cost more.

Edit – oh, maybe this one? http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Picatinny-Tactical-Flashlight-Surefire/dp/B0089M4HLY

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

That one is not exactly like the one in the picture, but I bought that one as well, and the differences are only cosmetic.

The exact one is this one. The price has gone up to about $11.

1. avatar John Phelps says:

Cool, thanks. Added it to my shopping list.

4. avatar Matt in FL says:

I think the twist bezel would be a dealbreaker for me.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Same here. Far too slow to activate/deactivate, especially under stress.

2. avatar Yvan91 says:

I’m not gonna ask the dude I’m trying to shoot to stand still while I fumble with the goddamn bezel on my flashlight.

1. Ditto, prefer a rocker switch.

3. avatar Rabbi says:

“Tactical” lights are about their ability to be activated and deactivated quickly and efficiently. Not to mention durability under recoil and overall reliability. Much more than just lumen count. Spinning the bezel is a no go.

5. avatar The mayor of Candor says:

Just because it puts out a bunch of lumens doesn’t automatically make it suited for weapon applications. May be good at withstanding great pressure but what about recoil from say, an 870 shooting slugs? I think it would make a very good edc light but I’ve got that size covered by the Zebralight SC 600.

6. avatar Nigil says:

So…did they actually do anything to their product to “introduce it to the tactical market”, or did they just issue a differently worded press release?