Obscure Object Of Desire: Glockworx/Zev G34 Race Gun

I’m not a GLOCK fan. I know they’re probably the most simple, reliable, functional handgun ever made, and I respect them for that. But I respect them from a distance. I’ve never owned one, nor have I desired to. Until I saw this muzzle-to-magwell custom G34 from Glockworx . . .

G34s aren’t that common to begin with, but my pal Cory left no part unmodded in tricking out his 9mm long-slide. All of the parts and work were done by Glockworx/Zev Technologies, and Cory’s more-or-less complete parts list includes:

• Technologies Magwell
  • Extended Mag Release
  • Dragonfly Cut Slide
  • Stainless Recoil Rod/15lb spring
  • Fixed Rear Sight with .215 Front Fiber Optic
  • Stainless Fulcrum Trigger w/Race Connector
  • Competition spring kit
  • Stainless Steel Striker
  • Taran tactical baseplates (the only thing that’s not from Glockworx)

And here it is in action:

The total cost of Cory’s Total GLOCK Conversion is…uh…lots? The Dragonfly Cut Slide runs a half-G on its own, and all those other race parts don’t exactly grow on trees. But still. Awesome, yes?

comments

1. avatar don-sfd says:

Awesome, YES.

2. avatar A-Rod says:

I dunno. It is missing something. A laser, or BLING, or truck nuts, or something. It is just not quite there yet.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

It needs a thing – something, anything – that goes up. That’d be the thing.

2. avatar Rad Man says:

I put Truck Nutz on my daughters bicycle – she was curiously unhappy about it.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

That’s freekin funny!

2. avatar Chris says:

would have hated to see that go the other way

3. avatar Josh in TX says:

The thing it’s missing is color and contrast. Polish something or Cerakote something a bright color and that gun will be instant salivation inducing glory.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Accent something inside that ventilated slide.

3. avatar Grumpy F'er says:

Yeah, but it’s still a Glock. I don’t like them. YMMV

1. avatar RKBA says:

That’s OK, Grumpy….

I don’t like 1911s myself.

…and that’s OK too.

😉

1. avatar Michael B. says:

I like Glocks and 1911s both and I want this!

1. avatar WRH says:

I like Glocks and 1911s, but I don’t want this. Overdone guns don’t do anything for me. I’m a simple man, with simple needs.

2. avatar Paul W. says:

I’d take 4-5 of each personally.

3. avatar Accur81 says:

I like 1911s and Glocks, and this looks like a fun gun to try. I’m seriously tempted to modify my Glock 35, until I remember that I’m married, broke, and rarely have time for formal shooting competitions.

4. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

it needs “For the Children(TM)” laser etched on the slide on one side and a picture of Shannon Watts on the other side.

5. avatar lolinski says:

Oh God! That is ugly, like any other racegun, but I don’t mind.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Yea, many competition guns in many disciplines look ugly. Trap shotguns, for example, just look horrifically “wrong” to me with those unsightly raised ribs, never mind the proportion abortion that is a shotgun with a 34″ barrel on it.

But they work in their particular application. Americans, as a rule, want to trick up their equipment for a competitive advantage like no other group of people on earth. Doesn’t matter if we’re talking NASCAR, unlimited air racing planes (where they cut several feet off the wings of perfectly good P-51D’s) or competition guns.

1. avatar lolinski says:

Skeet/trap shotguns look halfway decent. It’s just a personal thing when it comes to competition pistols (only the open class). I am not a guy who cares about looks but when I see a open class pistol I ask myself : “Did they make it so ugly on purpose?”

6. avatar Craig says:

I owned a G31 and I own a Beretta 92. The Beretta is simpler and a better design. No tiny little pulltabs, no dry firing for disassembly, and better SA trigger.

I also managed to have a Glock FTF, never had an issue with a 92.

Glocks are not the simplest pistols ever.

1. avatar Ed says:

Uhhh, what? How many total parts does a 92FS have? Look that up first. Then go compare that to a Glock. Or perhaps, your definition of ‘simple’ varies greatly from mine. You simply can’t get any simpler than a Glock…at least not yet.

1. avatar jwm says:

Makarov has 27 total parts. How does the Glock and Beretta stack up to that? Though someday I will probably get a Glock 19 just because they work and I would not shed tears if it gets taken after a dgu.

I would miss my mak.

2. avatar Magus says:

Given that the Glock doesn’t HAVE a SA trigger, of course it doesn’t have as good an SA trigger pull as a Beretta 92.

7. avatar Michael F. says:

It appears to shoot exactly the same as a stock Glock.

1. avatar Swarf says:

Right?

That gun was built with the sole purpose of impressing the kinds of people who would be impressed by it.

1. avatar Andrew says:

Man… I bet that tactical is just so opera – Oh, who am I kidding. It’s ugly and over-wrought. It will probably sell like like hotcakes to Real ‘Mericans.

2. avatar Renegade Dave says:

Yeah, if it does make a difference, it’d be in the difference in the hands of a Frank Proctor or a Dave Sevigny. A lot of guys I shoot with can keep their long slide Glocks on target just as easily only swapping out the sights and maybe a different trigger if they want to go hog wild.

3. avatar Ed says:

Indeed. Not to mention, out of the box, the G34 is an exceptionally fine shooting handgun. I love mine. I’d admit however, I like the looks of this “thing.” ‘Tis on the sexy side.

8. avatar Korimyr the Rat says:

You know, if none of the parts are original Glock, can you even really say that it’s still a Glock?

1. avatar HB says:

Yes, it’s a Zev brand GLOCK. 🙂

2. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Technically/legally, if the frame was made by Glock, then it is a Glock, no matter if you change out every other part on the gun.

This is the case because, technically/legally, when a FFL sells you a frame/receiver/action for a firearm, that serial numbered frame/receiver/action is what goes in the bound book. The make/model/number of everything else that gets hung on the frame? Of no interest to the BATFE.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

If you hang or insert something illegal, the BATFE will show interest real fast. God forbid your mag holds too many rounds, your AR doesn’t have a bullet button, your trigger / sear is a little wonky, your barrel is too short (not a problem I have, by the way), etc. Those of us who don’t live in free states have to take a whole lot of extra precautions, or a pet project mysteriously morphs into contraband based upon the whims of your local politicians.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Just like the only way NASCAR stock cars are technically Chevys, Fords, and Toyotas. The engine under the hood is like the frame of the pistol. Everything else is just an accessory.

9. avatar Cknarf says:

It’d make a good movie gun.

1. avatar John L. says:

Yep .. Call it a railgun and add “zzzt-ptheew” sound effects and you’re done.

10. avatar Lucas D. says:

O_o

…Interesting.

11. avatar RD says:

“G34s aren’t that common to begin with . . .”

I might beg to differ there . . . at least in the USPSA/IDPA realm. They’re very popular in the Production Division/SSP and the G34’s bigger bore brother (G35) is very popular for Limited/L-10 in USPSA for those not running .40 S&W STIs or the like. They’ve given up a little market share to M&Ps and the XDm, but not a whole lot.

1. avatar Renegade Dave says:

I see a lot of Glock guys going to the new CZ long slide and to the PPQ long slide. One day I may transition into a PPQ, but not for a while.

2. But… with this gun… Limited Minor…

So basically not competitive against the same shooter with a Limited Major gun.
      He should have saved all that money and bought a Stock G35 and he would have got more performance for his money in the devision this would shoot…

But if it’s just for cool then… it’s just for cool I guess…

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Well, yea, there’s that. But hey, there’s lots of people who don’t reload, and for them, the cheaper price of 9×19 ammo is a factor in competition.

12. avatar Chad says:

It’s nice I guess. But how would it compare to a stock XDM 5.25 competition. I’d assume the xdm would be as good or better and cost a fraction.

1. So you really think the XDM 5.25″ is that much better than a stock G34?

I’ll give you the adjustable sights. But other than that, you are getting pretty much the same thing if you disregard personal preference for grip angles.

13. avatar jimmyjames says:

I have both 1911’s and Glocks. I ‘ve shot both in competition for 10+ years. I have a Glock in the car, one near my front door and one in my safe, all loaded and ready to go. The only thing more reliable than a Glock is a Ruger wheel gun and I keep one of those in my night stand.

G34’s are pretty darn common on the ranges I shoot at. Go to some IPSC and IDPA matches and you will see what runs and what doesn’t, what wins and what doesn’t.

I’m sure that it runs like a Timex, but wow — talk about lipstick on a pig.

Glock Imperfection indeed.

1. avatar lolinski says:

Glocks were never perfect to begin with, really arrogant of them to claim so. The grip angle is messed up (except for some people), the trigger isn’t good and the sights are per definition shitty.

Note: Those are my experiences with Glocks, your mileage may wary.

1. avatar 16V says:

Not to mention the horrid tactile sensation of that goofy 2-part-rocker-trigger and it’s guarantee to stovepipe when not iron-wristed.

Nothing I ever want to have to rely on in a DGU.

15. avatar brainman says:

I’m curious…what’s the point of the dragonfly slide?

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

The idea is that if you reduce the reciprocating mass in the slide, and you have a proper set of recoil springs in the gun, then you should feel less muzzle flip. Some people think that it reduces recoil, but elementary Newtonian physics tells us that’s not the case.

All that’s really going to happen is that the recoil impulse is changed; more of the recoil energy will go into your hand, and less will go into accelerating the mass of the slide.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

So, as a gunsmith, would you say it’s pretty much snake oil?

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

The reduced mass of the slide probably does reduce muzzle flip from less mass having to abruptly stop when it hits the rearmost travel point.

Does that lead to increases in scores? Well, that’s the rub, isn’t it?

For many of these competitors, it isn’t what the gun/car/plane/shoe/attire/etc actually does. It’s what they think it does. The shooter thinks it makes a difference, and so they shoot better. Half of competition is mental, and if the competitor has confidence in his/her gear and themselves, they’re well on their way to pushing forward.

eg, take release triggers on competition shotguns. I wouldn’t have one of them in my shop for service if you tripled my rate. What a liability monster – a trigger that lets the hammers fall when you release the trigger – exactly opposite of what every other type of trigger does in the world. But some shotgun competitors swear that they simply must have them to compete. They break more clays than I do, so it seems to be working for them.

Still, there’s no way in hell I’d have such a kludge on my gun, or work on anyone else’s gun that has one.

2. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

It’s effects the specs on the inline rotary girder…

16. avatar Cliff H says:

As an aside – There are not a lot of shooting competitions in this are that I can get to, nor ranges where such things occur, but I have seen a few videos of 3anPractical Pistol, etc. and I want to ask the more competition minded readers this question: Does EVERY such range/course look like a dilapidated post-apocalyptic ghost town? What’s up with that?

1. avatar Renegade Dave says:

All of the objects need to be light and movable. Sometimes opaque, sometimes they can be mesh. Whatever makes for a course that can be manipulated easily and quickly. So in a nutshell, yeah, usually.

17. avatar Arod529 says:

The only thing I have to say is thank you for not calling it a Glock brand Glock. Excellent penmanship good sir.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

That’s only because I didn’t write the article. For my part I appreciate that he capitalized GLOCK, because that’s the trademarked name.

18. avatar J from Texas says:

I don’t have experience with most of the items on that list but I run their competition fulcrum trigger with the factory connector in a G34 and it is a significant upgrade in multiple ways.

19. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

hmm, didn’t know the Fulcrum came in stainless, mine’s the black fixed with red safety in billet aluminum..

but yeah, no Glock is truly pimptastic without a dovetail red dot sight and backup side (ghetto) sights with tritium. .

20. avatar C Wesley Bryant says:

You know what would make that thing look even better? If It was the main prop in a new KJW video!

21. avatar mrpiggy fingers says:

Just goes to show that with enough dough you can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.Interestingly the most popular sport/comp guns in Canada are CZ shadows. Oh…And I Agree with C. Wesley above…

22. avatar Daniel says:

How much is that trigger? That’s the one thing I can’t stand about a few of my friends Glocks where they have polished the internals. The little safety bar inside the trigger rubs or snaps back on your finger and I’m left with a nice little red blister after only a couple mags. That trigger seems to fix the issue.