Ventura County Joins Orange County, Goes “Shall Issue”

Image courtesy Ventura County SheriffVentura County sheriff (yes, Ventura County, California) Geoff Dean is the latest to adopt a ‘shall-issue’ CCW policy for its county residents. In so doing, he joins Orange County as a ‘shall issue’ jurisdiction. Many northern California LEOs have long been quietly issuing CCWs much more liberally than the gun-phobic sheriffs of SoCal, but Orange and Ventura Counties are the most southerly and populous Cali counties to Do The Right Thing when it comes to CCW . . .

Image courtesy Wikipedia

Ventura County is the the north-westerly corner of the Greater Los Angeles conurbation, and Orange county is at the southern end. A lot of Venturians and OC’ers work in L.A. This means there will soon be at least a few sheepdogs among the flock of disarmed Angelitos, and that the teeming multitudes of meth fiends and gangbangers of the L.A. area will need to think a lot more carefully before they try to victimize a random stranger on the street.

The full version of the Ventura County policy is available online here, and it’s not the most straightforward process but at least it’s available to every law-abiding citizen. One of my buddies in Ventura county has his CCW interview next week. Good luck, Cory!

The shooter’s version of hell just froze over. Or at least cooled off and opened a couple of nice restaurants.

comments

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Get ’em while you can, don’t take time to look at the horse’s gums.

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor.
      Hell did just freeze over.

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Good thing I bought that Carhart.

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Redhead, way better jackets.
          Check them out.

2. avatar AJ says:

Not quite. Now if the LOS ANGELES county sheriff did this, I might drop dead from a heart attack.

2. avatar DrVino says:

Moorpark, Simi Valley or Thousand Oaks: here we come….

1. avatar DonS says:

I spent my first 29 years in Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, and Moorpark. A little more “red” than the surrounding areas.

2. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

I’m pretty sure this doesn’t affect the Discworld…

3. avatar Sixpack70 says:

It would be nice for the gov to figure out that the American people want to be armed and they need to stop screwing around.

4. avatar jirdesteva says:

I hope this snow ball keeps on rolling across the country.

1. avatar Julian says:

Just wait 20 years from now when the Southern Culture groups 2nd and 3rd generation begin multiplying as their predecessors have already done so and see where our rights end up. But for now is nice to hear.

1. avatar jwm says:

Southern Culture? I’ve traveled all thru the South and the culture seems pretty pro gun to me.

5. avatar nemsis says:

Even the mightiest dam can start to fail with just a few cracks.

Let the sledgehammers swing!

6. avatar Accur81 says:

I heartily welcome SoCal CCW.

“The Sheriff, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that the person applying satisfies residency or business location requirements, and has completed a course of
    training (as set forth in this policy) may issue to that person a carry concealed weapons license.

Doesn’t sound like shall issue to me.

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

They may issue assuming they passed Qual, and are not a felon. Although they might have left the verbiage there, just in case the ruling is overturned. The fact that they are now accepting self defense is huge. If they can not justify their reasoning for not approving the application, smelled funny, does not apply. They will get a smack down too.

8. avatar JAS says:

In a way this reminds me of the fall of the Berlin wall in 1989.

9. avatar T says:

ATTENTION ALL CALIFORNIA COUNTIES WHO BELIEVE IN THE SECOND AMENDMENT:

STEP YO GAME UP AND JOIN IN!

10. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

I guess Cali AG Harris’ note about her stand to block concealed and all its “dangers” got lost on the teletype machine, huh?

I can’t wait for her to run for governor. I hope she gets publicly humilated on cable television

11. avatar Bob says:

Several counties in CA have been ‘shall issue’ effectively for many years, because the policy of that county sheriff was to issue CCWs to everyone who met the qualifications. It was up to the county sheriff. Unfortunately, several other county sheriffs were ‘never issue’.

The 9th Circuit’s ruling told the ‘never issue’ sheriffs that they need to become ‘shall issue’.

12. avatar rlc2 says:

This is good news. I can’t imagine that Orange and Ventura County Sheriffs and Boards of Supervisors would have had time to strategize in detail with the AG, therefore, this looks like these Counties are going ahead and applying good common sense, ie accepting “self defense” as good cause, right now, rather than waiting for some final answer on intervenor status by the AGs request, sua ponte en banc, or en banc results.

Ralph, IMHO, that doesn’t change the state defiinition of may to shall, nor does it matter- it just announces the good cause standard that Ventura County will use to entertain applications, subject to all the rest- of course, background check, training, fees. And these can vary county by county.

Heres San Diego’s “old rules” in force, until the March 7th deadline for en banc request, for example. http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

I’d like to think San Diego County would show common sense and move forward also, independently of the AGs request, but since the case was filed against the county, I can see why they would feel the need to be careful to let the process run its course, while taking the time to do so, administratively. The last I heard the list of appointments for apps is into mid-Sept, but thats second-hand, so take it for what its worth.

13. avatar Brandon Combs says:

This report is not exactly correct. VCSO is not entirely “shall-issue.” However, their policy is generally in conformance with state law (and, in fact, is one of the closest procedurally to the statutes).

14. avatar Noah says:

What irks me is each county sets different rules for their procedures. Ventura is the first to follow state law (sort of).

Orange County still requires 2 utility bills/cell phone/FFL/whatever for proof of residence, an appointment to turn in your application (what for? you should be able to mail it in and they contact you when to come in for fingerprints), a weapon inspection by an armorer (his name is Dwayne) that will FAIL your gun if it doesn’t have a trigger pull greater than 7 lbs, is not stock (rejecting a gun with non-OEM night sights), etc…. (again, why?).

1. avatar Hannibal says:

They make you sign up for an appointment to draw out the process but still claim that it only takes X weeks from application to issuance.

15. avatar Hannibal says:

No taksies backsies!

16. avatar Ray says:

You seriously think you guys are sheep dogs because you carry a gun? Give me fucking break. The vast majority of would piss your pants and cry if you were ever in an gun fight.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Not sure what your point is. I don’t see anyone making that claim.

Shhh. He’s just scoping for Depends.

2. avatar Kelly in GA says:

His point? T-Roll

2. avatar SteveInCO says:

A troll, but I will give a serious answer anyway.

The gun part of the fight will happen (if the fight ever happens) whether I am armed or not, because the bad guy won’t say “Oh, I see you are unarmed. Let me put my gun away.” Having my own gun with me increases the chance that it will just turn out to be an embarrassingly smelly pair of wet pants instead of me being dead.

3. avatar Randy Drescher says:

Ray, Thats why medical pot isn’t always the best idea. Just put down the bong Ray & walk away.

4. avatar Fuque says:

Nobody does gunfights anymore, Ray, This is the 21st century, You either just roll over and submit, or you exercise your 2A rights…. OR…… Like so many who *%cked themselves.. they don’t get to be involved because they are felons…. which one are you ray??

5. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Pissing your pants and crying?

I believe that’s called the University of Colorado defense….

Quite effective at stopping attack, or so I’m told.

1. avatar SteveInCO says:

I’d heard of this, but didn’t realize this had started at the University of Colorado. Ah, good old looney tunes, Berkely by the Mountains Boulder; is nothing too silly for them.

I googled and found out this came out of the University of Colorado [i]at Colorado Springs[/i]. Yeesh, what an embarrassment. They have taken the ten rules down, claiming that they were quoted out of context and to be used only as absolute last desperate resorts. It’s part of some larger program. Not having gone through it (I don’t qualify, plumbing-wise), I don’t know if the program also advocates guns as a [i]first[/i] resort.

(Believe it or not the comments are mostly favorable to our point of view.)

17. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Good stuff coming out of California.

Now start working on that California compliant list and that micro stamping nonsense and y’all are back in business.

Interesting that the new smart gun doesn’t microstamp, but it was just added to the CA list.

I wonder how that happened.

1. avatar Dave357 says:

Is it .22?

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Yes, it’s a .22. And only $1,399.

2. avatar Samuel Leoon Suggs says:

Rim fire’s are exempt.

18. avatar Jodas says:

Sheriff Perry Rennif of Butte county was issuing permits when I lived in CA to anybody who could pass a NICS check. My interview with on of his Lieutenants was perfunctory at best. Up north where the meth problem had gotten really bad, a lot of the Sheriff’s adopted a de facto shall issue policy. It was priceless when I was stopped in Hollywood and got to show a young Officer his first CA CCW permit. He didn’t even know they issued those in California……

19. avatar JW says:

Oh, Snap! Did the Leo’s in SoCal just $&@*% slap the antis or what? Looks like the People’s Republic of Kalifornia has many comrades sick of their rights being tromped on.

20. avatar Jason says:

One county over from Ventura: Here’s hoping it spreads!

21. avatar MD says:

I’m stunned. I lived in Ventura County for 8 ½ years and I only knew one guy who was actually able to get a CWW. And he was a volunteer on the Sheriff Department Search and Rescue Team. It took him about 8 months from application to issue.

Hopefully the goodness will keep spreading throughout the State.

22. avatar Samuel Leoon Suggs says:

C’mon Tuolumne!

23. avatar Will says:

Nice to hear this.

24. avatar jw says:

San Bernardino County has been issuing permits for several years now with a Sheriff that is extremely pro-2A. The process takes a few months because of the volume of applications but is straight forward, well thought out and the Sheriff’s personnel are a pleasure to work with.

1. avatar Matt Richardson says:

SBSO has been fairly squared away for a long time. Wasn’t aware that the sheriff was issuing though, good deal. Almost ended up in SBSO’s academy, ended up at Rio Hondo instead (sigh…)

NOW if we can just get the state to start reciprocating (lol) EVERYBODY will be winners!

P.S. I’d like to point out to Chris that it’s “Angeleno” not “Angelito.”

25. avatar Ken Hagler says:

LA County Sheriff Baca isn’t gun-phobic, he’s non-rich-people-phobic. He’s perfectly willing to let you carry a gun as long as your net worth is in the tens of millions of dollars.

26. avatar Ray says:

My apologies to everyone on here about my comment. It was meant for YouTube on one of those videos where “trainers” supposedly “train people” and are “professionals” the video I tried to comment on has been featured here. Again I apologize to everyone on here as we’ll as the staff. I now now not to drink and comment.

27. avatar Daniel says:

Now if only Santa Barbara county would play ball and the sheriff would stop dragging his feet! Looks like I need to SSE a couple gen 4 Glocks before that latest legislation goes thru to cut that off too.