AK Or AR Pistol Not Loud Enough? Here’s The Solution

Is your non-suppressed AR or AK just not loud enough for your tastes? Are you tired of your shooting sessions not attracting enough attention from angry neighbors and sullen LEOs? Ares Armor and Snake Hound Machining have the answer to this question. And if you couldn’t hear the question, it’s probably because you’re already deaf . . .

The descriptively-monikered ‘Loudener’ is a single-chamber muzzle brake that doesn’t really give a crap about recoil reduction. It’s designed for only one purpose: maximum muzzle blast. As a free side-benefit, it also maximizes muzzle flash from your SBR, AR or AK pistols.

Here it is in action on an AK ‘Draco’ pistol. These already compete with the Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine as perhaps the loudest and most flash-happy firearms ever built, so I’m not really seeing a need to make them even more so. But whatever lights your wick, I suppose.

And here it is mounted to an AR pistol, with some commentary from the Jesus-bearded dude at Snake Hound Machining.

Wait, what was that? Did you say something? Oh, yeah. The Loudener is only $75, but none of us are volunteering to ask for a T&E sample.

comments

1. avatar Micah in Texas says:

First!

1. avatar Luke Ellerbrock says:

We don’t do this anymore.

2. avatar jwm says:

Missed the memo, did you?

3. avatar Andrew says:

CAN’T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THE ‘MERICA

4. avatar CA.Ben says:

What is this, youtube circa 2008?

2. avatar Charles5 says:

Ares Armor and Snake Hound Machining, wholly owned subsidiaries of A**holes-R-Us.

1. avatar Kenneth says:

You sound a bit butthurt Charles5, what’s with that?

2. avatar DBM says:

This reminds me of the one asshole black powder shooter on a range that likes to shoot his .50 cal with a full charge to show what a man he is.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Or show what fun he’s having.

1. avatar DBM says:

No people like this are just assholes. They also take up hours at a time at the firing position to make a dramatic effect. He was pissing off even the other Black powder shooters. I forgot to say how he liked to step back a little so a lot of the blast went down the overhead cover. I returned the favor by positioning myself so my brass peppered him.
          This guy abused range etiquette in every possible way.

3. avatar mrvco says:

Dirt shooters rejoice!!!

4. avatar PhoenixNFA says:

Send me one and I’ll test it on the m16. Lol

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yeah! 10″ bbl, full giggle.

2. avatar David PA/NJ says:

Do it. Do it. Do it.

5. avatar LongBeach says:

Real operators don’t need suppressors. Or front sights, if the ad is to be believed.

1. avatar Pulatso says:

Bro, I could operate so loud with one of those things.

1. avatar TheBear says:

When I operate in operations I choose to operate with the loudest pistol I can find. This way if the enemy operators are operating with operator body armor, the noise will be enough to incapacitate them and cease their operations.

1. avatar Knuckles says:

I heard you could just rack a round from the clip and it would scare people off.

If that didn’t work, you could just shoot it into the air.

I used clip on porpoise.

2. avatar William Burke says:

Make them BEG for a silencer law! 😉

6. avatar James E Finseth says:

I won’t be buying one, but I got to admit that it’s kind of funny. I’ll bet they sell a ton of them. No one ever went broke in this country underestimating the taste or the intelligence of the American Public. Lot’s of guys want to look cool and make noise.

7. avatar The Smiling Swordsman says:

Reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of “The Simpsons”.

1. avatar Jeff O. says:

Oooh! Speed cocker! I like the sound of that!

8. avatar Dryw says:

How is that firearm pictured not the poster child for the “Deepest Depths of Uselessness” ongoing series?

In comparison to the AR ‘pistol’ and the Beta on same, the muzzle brake looks downright reasonable.

9. avatar Mark N. says:

red ick you louse. Both the muzzle device and the “pistols” that were being fired.

10. avatar Javier says:

I want to get one of those double barreled ARs so bad, then put a suppressor in one barrel and one of these in the other.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

I had a similar reaction, but what I want is this, a Loudener designed to take a screw-on Normalizer. I’ll keep the normalizer on unless somewhat sidles up to the range with a center-fire gun with a muzzle brake. On that occurrence off comes the Normalizer.

1. avatar Javier says:

What’s a “range”? The preferred nomenclature is “operating habitat”.

1. avatar ropingdown says:

When I’m operatin’ on a green-side op runnin’ my Loudener I can turn even the depths of hell into nothin’ but a convenient range on which to zero my cannonator and the devil himself’s gonna have to turn tail and, well…. at least grab some ear-pro.

11. avatar racer88 says:

They’ll probably sell like hotcakes. Reminds me of the loud “blow off valves” guys put on their turbo-charged rice cars. 🙂 “Look at me! I’ve got a turbo! Psssssssssssssssshh!”

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

I purchased a SRT4 Neon, within a month, I had installed a blow of valve. 🙂 the good old days. Heh, 8 years later I would do it again too :). I love that car.

2. avatar CarlosT says:

Dump valves actually have a real purpose, though. This, not so much.

12. avatar GeeSmith2 says:

Hilarious!

13. avatar Anon in CT says:

It actually looks a lot like the CT-legal (pre 2013) “Izzy” compensators that Bushmaster used/uses.

14. avatar SuperiorPosture says:

Pfft. UN Ammo has been selling flash ENHANCERS for quite some time. I would imagine it’s fairly similar. But stay away from Ares Armor. Unless you don’t mind paying now, waiting 11 months for your items, and having customer service repeatedly ignore your requests to cancel your order and issue a refund.

15. This has great appeal to the 20-something “young and invincibly stupid” market.

It has been produced with the generous financial support of this company:

16. avatar Pencotron says:

Had no idea a “Rain of Hate” was going for $75.

17. avatar iloveguns says:

What the well is wrong with people… an AR pistol in my mind is completely useless… I understand SBRs but then throw a beta mag, and a ridiculous muzzle device on and my mind is blown… I guess its too Operator for me to understand

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

Like most contests, whoever owns the most shiny, most expensive and least used toy, wins!

2. avatar Javier says:

An AR pistol is basically a non-NFA gun that’s ten minutes away from becoming an SBR if the SHTF. That’s the appeal.

1. avatar iloveguns says:

I understand people trying to get around the SBR stamp but not really… ill pay for the stamp, and keep my rifle assembled and enjoy it legally and more important accurately

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

SBRs are not legal in every state. For some, this is as close as you get to an SBR. Additionally, some states do not allow transport of loaded rifles, but they do allow for transport of a loaded pistol. These are still considered pistols.

2. avatar mrvco says:

It’s not the $200, it’s the paperwork and the ridiculously long wait time.

3. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Also the reporting requirements when you try to take it out of state suck. I move every two years and sometimes it is shorter notice than the ATF turn around for “permission” to leave the state you are in. Plus if I am forced to live in a non SBR friendly state I am SOL and have to store it properly out of state.

3. avatar William Burke says:

The “if it’s too loud, you’re too old” crowd. I’m too old; try down the street.

4. avatar James E Finseth says:

Lots of us use AR pistols for deer hunting in Minnesota with Wildcat calibers. You might be surprised how accurate they are with a match barrel and optics.

18. avatar Duck says:

Why would anyone want to turn stupid up to 11?

1. avatar ropingdown says:

‘Cause they can’t count to twelve.

19. avatar Hannibal says:

The fail…. the fail…

20. avatar PeterC says:

Too late. I’m already deaf, or so my Significant Other tells me. Having gone through Basic Training and subsequent requalifications with an M-1 Garand and no hearing protection, I require no aftermarket gadgetry.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Looks as if you’re home free. If she hasn’t figured out you’re ignoring her by now…

1. avatar ropingdown says:

No security clearance for you, WB. That bit wasn’t cleared for declassification.

A loudener / flash intensifier is the perfect enhancement for your home defense weapon. It simultaneously lights up the BGs and your furniture, attracting the attention of police, firefighters and the EPA while blowing your eardrums into the next county. Bravo!

We need more such devices. An upside-down compensator to increase muzzle rise would be my next choice, followed shortly by a spiked recoil pad.

1. avatar Dryw says:

Dibs on the “Deprivator” muzzle rise-ner attachment concept!

22. avatar Don says:

I volunteer to T&E this if you can get hold of one, just based on it being funny. It’s ironically opposed to the lamentably over-regulated suppressor.

23. avatar g says:

Wait, isn’t TTAG in the “guns are fun too” camp? Haha.

AK and AR pistols both suffer loss of velocities due to shortened barrels, but I believe the 7.62 round actually doesn’t suffer as much as the 5.56. In any case, the cheap Serbian AK pistols that are available right now could use whatever muzzle device they can get…

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

7.62 is around 2400fps in a rifle. It drops to about 2200 in a pistol. I think I saw 5.45 is around 2900FPS in a rifle and drops to 2600 in a pistol. I am not sure how much 5.56 loses.

2. avatar Dryw says:

I cannot fathom why anyone would actually _want_ to install one of these monstrosities on a Draco or an PAP M92; but it’s worth mentioning that the Zastava uses a relatively esoteric (and considerably larger than standard AK) M26x1.5LH thread.

24. avatar BDub says:

I could see movie armories using these. They will look and sound pretty good on film.

25. avatar Agavsgtgxhd says:

Mass Compliant?!

Haha

26. avatar Mattv2099 says:

Awesome.

This is why we Louden.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Wrap it in bacon.

1. avatar Mattv2099 says:

Hahaha. Remove a kebab with it.

27. avatar Ing says:

Sledge Hammer would be proud.

1. That was hilarious, I had never seen this before.

28. avatar Oddux says:

Truthfully, one of those on an 7.62×39 SBR AK would be kinda fun. Muzzle flash, recoil, and noise can make things more entertaining when you’re just out on private land with a couple friends and a pile of water bottles, clays, cans of cheap soda, and other things to break. This is why my friends and I tend to go back to the mosins and garands when we’re just having fun. You know what I mean if you’ve ever put a 5 gallon bucket over a small amount of tannerite and shot it to see how high the bucket (or tactical mug, if you’re Tyler and Nick) flies, or went skeet shooting with pumpkins fired from a homemade trebuchet you and your friends made rather than clays. Sometimes excessive can be fun, if you’re still keeping the right distance and taking some safety precautions.

1. avatar Dryw says:

From experience: worth every penny of the 400.00 I paid for mine. If you’re an AK aficionado, I couldn’t oversell them for the cost.

That said, Form 1 is the best route. I have strong opinions about the lack of true utility in AK/AR pistols, but (legally) adding a decent stock and vertical grip truly makes this SBR shine.

Be advised that there are several non-AK-interchangeable M92 specific parts such as the forend and muzzle 26×1.5LH device. Not hard to locate/acquire, just specific.

29. avatar William Burke says:

Because there’s no such thing as too much hearing loss.

1. avatar David PA/NJ says:

What did you say?

30. avatar Conway Redding says:

More confirmation of the observation that the two most abundant elements in our corner of the universe are hydrogen and human stupidity.

1. avatar g says:

+1 for Metal Gear!

1. avatar Chris B. says:

I was just going to cite a Metal Gear Solid reference. LOL

31. avatar Milsurp Collector says:

How to have any rifle range all to yourself in three easy steps:
    1. Buy a Loudener
    2. Rig it up to a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine
    3. Count how many people pack their sh!t and leave within firing your first ten rounds.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Triple hearing protection.

1. avatar William Burke says:

How does that work? Ear plugs, over-the-ears and an astronaut helmet?

32. avatar James says:

It’s like replacing the 60 to 0 mph in 130 feet factory brakes in your car with 60 to 0 in 260 feet aftermarket brakes.

Twenty-somethings with skulls painted on their AR15s and skulls tattooed on their face might want one, but even that market segment might pause to process a couple of sentient thoughts before reaching for their billfolds.

Someday, hearing aid company stock prices will make Berkshire Hathaway look like the Susquehanna Hat Company.

33. avatar M says:

Hmmm… a flash ENHANCER. These should be mandatory equipment, so “moms who want action”, “MILFS against flash suppressors”, can see and identify their next ex-husband from even greater distances.

34. avatar AznMike says:

Snake hound huh? Does it turn me into a snake eater?

35. Got my Loundner at Shot Show. Here is the video for the AR version.

36. avatar ProfBathrobe says:

That is totally the Patriot from Metal Gear Solid 3. And seriously? The “Snake Hound”? How much more overt of a reference can you make? Not complaining, just jealous that I can’t get one.

37. avatar Jordan says:

i just hope no one brings one of these to the indoor range where i work. short barrel rifles are already loud enough.

38. My theory is that the people who invented this brake should have stuck with “loudening” their rifles simply by turning up the volume on their entertainment system while playing Call of Duty.

39. avatar Jason says:

Single most retarded gun accessory I have ever seen.

1. avatar DBM says:

Actually I could see a use for it if it had a quick release. Small group of people take on a larger force in surprise raid (or vise versa) and all of a sudden it sounds like your being attack at close range with heavy automatic weapons. It would sow confusion and panic. However after the first 5-10 minutes it would be a liability.