Senator Feinstein: Extend Gun Control Into the Sky

Unarmed drone (on the left) (courtesy eandt.theiet.org)

“In yesterday’s Senate drone hearing, Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) got personal, describing a rally held outside her home earlier this year,” theverge.com reports. ‘I went to the window to peek out, and there was a drone right there looking in. Obviously the drone’s pilot was surprised, because the drone wheeled around and crashed,” she told the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. “What kind of camera was on the drone? What kind of microphone? Could an enterprising person have attached a firearm to it?” No, Enterprise picks you up . . .

The hearing mostly concerned with the FAA’s roadmap for regulating civilian drone use, spurred on by Amazon’s recent announcement of a drone delivery program. But Senator Feinstein used her time to specifically speak out specifically against the prospect of private citizens equipping drones with deadly force, potentially opening the door for a new legislative avenue regulating the unmanned crafts. “We should not allow armed drones in the United States, period,” the Senator told the committee. “It should be a crime for a private individual to arm a drone.”

Police? ATF? FBI? DHS? Not so much. [h/t NB]

comments

1. avatar LT says:

Because armed civilian drones have no purpose what-so-ever…it’s not like they could make short work of the invasive species problem that is wild pigs.

1. avatar Jeff in Tacoma says:

Yes wild pigs….

Oh crap, you meant the swine kind.

2. avatar Dickie J says:

God, why won’t this spawn of satan crawl back into the firey pit from whence she slithered?

3. Not to say that Senator Feinstein has a credibility problem, but I would like to see the police report.

2. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

‘It should be a crime for a private individual to arm a drone.’”
    Got that you lowly civilians! Cops by all means, government no problem. But ordinary everyday individuals OMG!!!
    I can only apologize for DiFi and Pelosi so much. My voice is gone, I simply choose to ignore them, and move along as beast I can.

1. avatar MiniMe says:

Could you throw a bucket of water on that witch? Please??
      I think the country in general has had enough with her idiotic ramblings.

1. avatar John L. says:

She does drone on, doesn’t she?

(Ducking and running)

2. avatar Tomy Ironmane says:

Might wanna try holy water, we might be talking vampire.

3. avatar Gruney says:

After seeing that mug on the monitor, no wonder the drone crashed. Hopefully the operator was not turned to stone.

1. avatar Keith in TX says:

If not he’s likely ruint forever.

2. avatar Paul says:

ROFL! Good one.

3. avatar John L. says:

Nah … All of the “L” probably leaked out of the LCD screen first.

4. avatar 505markf says:

What, she turned me into a newt!

1. avatar Noah says:

I doubt he’d ever get better.

1. avatar Daily Beatings says:

Burn her anyway!

5. avatar BDub says:

I think she just shot down some kids remote controlled plane with just her hideous gaze. That’s real power!

1. avatar BTinAfghan says:

The drone pilot is alive and recovering from temporary blindness caused by the sudden sight of DiFi partially uncovered. (yuck) Doctors say the young man has youth on his side and is expected to make a full recovery, although aged considerably.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Uncontrolled projectile vomiting is a terrible thing to behold.

4. avatar Kyle says:

What makes her think any terrorist would obey such a law? It’s like saying it’s illegal to build pipe bombs or pressure cooker bombs, a terrorist will not obey said law. Me sees a new term in the making, “Assault Drones.”

1. avatar Nine says:

With thruster things that go up.

1. avatar Mack Bolan says:

DiFi has no idea about thruster things that go up. The last thruster thing she was near went limp.

1. avatar LongBeach says:

‘Went limp’ implies that there was stiffness to begin with, and I cannot bring myself to believe that there was.

5. avatar Freedom says:

THIS WOMAN MUST LEAVE THE SENATE!!!! SHE’S DEFNITELY LOSING HER DAMN MIND!!!
    I hope the drone was spying on her …God I really hope so!!! 🙂

1. avatar Dave says:

If she is the best California has to offer, I am afraid for the state.

1. avatar Cliff H says:

Certainly not the best California can offer, but apparently the only one they can elect.

6. avatar Reyberto Colon says:

The drone pilot was not surprised but scared sh!tless after seing that. Yuck!

7. avatar Gruney says:

I want the reassurance that only the gubmint can have armed killing machines.

8. avatar Bob Wall says:

Sucks when technology in the hands of private citizens, is used to keep tabs on the American Government. Or does it, MRS. Feinstein?

I see an extension of 2A rights for the 21st Century. Maybe we can compromise if I promise only to arm it with a blunderbuss.

1. avatar 505markf says:

So, maybe get totally pseudo-retro and steampunk the whole thing. If someone missed with a single shot weapon, at least the intended target would go running into the street screaming that Victorian aliens had attacked her, which would seriously increase the overall entertainment value.

2. avatar Defens says:

Heaven forbid that someone start using a 3-D printer to build drone parts!

But I don’t see her concern, really. The only armed drones I’m aware of sit in police cars behind the pastry shop.

9. avatar Neil says:

Sooo… The drone saw her face and crashed? That sounds like the real story here.

1. avatar Sammy says:

Defiantly a sign of AI on the drone’s part. You have to give it props. Would you consider it a Crone Drone?

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

It’s not just a sign of AI (Artificial Intelligence) on the drone, it is proof! Any normal person, upon suddenly seeing Feinstein that close, would go commit suicide as well. And that is exactly what the drone did. See, it is proof!

1. avatar Sammy says:

Diane Fienstien, the 21st century Medusa.

P.S. Never trust your spell checker.

10. avatar Nine says:

Why couldn’t it have flown forward and taken her out?…

11. avatar Dave says:

Isn’t it technically already illegal for someone to arm a drone? I mean wouldn’t that constitute an electronic trigger, turning the firearm into a machine gun? Which if the laws congress has already passed are still in effect, the only people you would have to worry about are criminals, and then you would just be wasting the ink in your pen.

Cause they don’t follow laws, that’s why we call them criminals.

1. avatar LT says:

Single action or single shot, not so much.

1. avatar Dave says:

I’m guessing the electronic remote trigger you place on your controller would probably be deemed illegal by the ATF since they have already made a ruling to that effect, but since you know better, go ahead and try it and let us know how it works out.

2. avatar JaxD says:

I think there is already a prohibition against remote controlled guns. I imagine an armed drone would be covered by that too.

1. avatar uncommon_sense says:

^ This.

3. avatar Drew says:

Yes, they shut down the internet hunting company and electric ignition muzzle loaders have been regulated out of production. Iirc précis ting guns are grandfathered in but I doubt you would get away with using one like suggested.

2. avatar PhoenixNFA says:

You are correct. It is already illegal to arm drones.

1. avatar Fred says:

That’s the first thing that came to mind when I read this, arming a drone is already illegal. Leave it up to an “expert” in the realm of guns to not even know what the current law is, although it is their MO to make things illegal-er than they already are with identical laws.

2. avatar uncommon_sense says:

Arming a drone in and of itself is not presently illegal. Hooking up a remote control trigger is illegal. So if the drone had some mechanism whereby it decided all by itself if/when to fire, that would not be illegal. At least that is the story that I am going to promote.

12. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

This is my rifle. This is my drone. One is for killing the other’s for fun…

13. avatar Sixpack70 says:

Who needs to mount guns? What an idiot.

14. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

1. avatar Cliff H says:

“It should be some kind of crime to keep re-electing that rights-snatching drone.”

It should be some kind of crime to keep re-electing that rights-snatching crone. FIFY.

15. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

She has gone completely power mad.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

She has gone long been completely power mad.

Fixed.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

She has gone completely power mad.

FIFY.

16. avatar Mike says:

Are we talking about flying drones or is Feinstein preempting automated ground turrets (like those seen in the movie “Aliens”) too? Perhaps she envisions a future where Terminator-like security robots are walking around protecting elites and government officials while the rest of America is left to their antiquated AR-15’s that can’t so much as dent the armor plating of the Terminators?

“It’s so cute how the pro-gun crowd of the early part of the century genuinely thought they were preserving their right to self-defense… yet with the ban on civilian ownership of armed drones and bots of any kind in 2014, and the preexisting ban on destructive devices, it wasn’t long before the right to bear arms became nothing more than a sport of nostalgia, like fencing…”

1. avatar Mike says:

“Today, in the wonderful world of 2038, bots patrolling the streets of NY automatically full-body-scan civilians with their standard sensor systems. If a firearm is detected, the expanded Stop-and-Frisk laws allow them to put the civilian up against the wall and validate that the firearm is lawful. If the firearm is found to be unlawfully owned, or if it is loaded with illegal electromagnetic pulse rounds, the bot immediately makes an arrest. With its superior strength, the bot can individually detain the target in 99.9% of all instances and the paddy wagon is then called to haul the target to jail. We are pleased to say that firearm extremism is on the decline, as well as associated radical movements such as the Libertarian Party and Neo-Republican Party. In addition, terrorist organizations like the NRA and ACLU are all but extinct.”

1. avatar John L. says:

Pitch it to Hollywood.

Seriously.

2. avatar GS650G says:

I agree that they seem to be upping the game and taking to the skies. having realized that most citizens are better shots and pretty hard core about their positions the only option left is to be 2 miles up with surveillance gear today and armed mini drones tomorrow.

I don’t want to think about how this is going to end up. At some point there will be a conflict and it’s going to be messy.

17. avatar Bernard says:

What a graceful picture.

18. avatar Totenglocke says:

“We should not allow armed drones in the United States, period”

Yet I’m sure she’s perfectly fine with the government using armed drones in the US.

19. avatar Paul Rain says:

FYI: The rally in question was probably a Code Pink rally in support of Bradley Manning’s attacks on US soldiers (not that I have any sympathy for jug ears or the obamaniac’s putting them in harm’s way to give the Middle Eastern majorities who favour Islamism more power).

1. avatar Paul Rain says:

Of course, I’m kinda assuming that Feinstein-Goldman is capable of telling the truth about such a thing happening… more fool me.

20. avatar Ima Yeti (Paul, no not the alien from the movie) says:

When is somebody gonna drop a house on this witch?

1. avatar GS650G says:

Maybe holy water or a little garlic might be an option.

21. avatar Robert Seddon says:

We should expand gun control up into Fienstiens butt and blow it up .. that is the proper way to dispose of unknown foriegn substances, and what comes out of her mouth must have a slight resemblance to what is coming out the other end, so it should be a real no-brainer to just detonate the stuff ….

22. avatar Accur81 says:

I’m grateful DiFis face was not shown, saving many of the AI from wrecking their personal vehicles.

23. avatar C Wesley Bryant says:

Yet more evidence that these asshats should be subject to random drug testing.

24. avatar GS650G says:

‘We should not allow armed drones in the United States, period,’ the Senator told the committee. ‘It should be a crime for a private individual to arm a drone.’”

Spoken like a true tyrant. She would be all for launching rockets into someone’s house if she thought it best for the children.

1. avatar Kyle says:

Speaking of rockets, I am surprised the antis don’t get their panties in a wad over model rocketry. I mean you can do high-powered rocketry and liquid-fuel rockets too. I can imagine the argument: “NO ONE NEEDS A HIGH-POWERED ROCKET!” But no terrorist as far as I know has ever used a model rocket to conduct an attack of any kind (which is probably why it doesn’t register on the antis radar).

25. avatar Dave s says:

isnt electrical ignition of black powder rifles perfectly legal?

1. avatar Drew says:

Not any more.

26. avatar Anon in CT says:

“No, Enterprise picks you up . . .”

Or beams you up, whichever . . .

27. avatar Matt says:

Me wonders – if you make a law against it, will that stop people from doing it? Me thinks not…

28. avatar 7.62x54r says:

I’m dragging out my asbestos suit but how about putting FPS Russia and his quadrotor on the job.

29. avatar sven_va says:

Why didn’t she just shoot it?

30. avatar Mediocrates says:

Diane Fienstein, lowering the IQ of women everywhere, every time she opens her pie hole.

1. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

She lowers the average IQ, she’s not powerful enough to actually lower women’s IQ…

31. avatar David T says:

“It should be a crime for a private individual to arm a drone.”
    WTH !?!
    It should be a crime for the government to arm a drone in the US!!!

32. avatar Sammy says:

I want some of what she’s smokin’.

33. avatar BTinAfghan says:

It is just this kind of drone threat which makes me want to by a WWII German 88 to allow me to defend against drone attack. I could also use it for duck hunting.

34. avatar Jus Bill says:

“I went to the window to peek out, and there was a drone right there looking in. …the drone wheeled around and crashed”

The Gorgon’s stare claims yet another victim…

35. avatar Rich Grise says:

Why is there nobody to tell her that gun control is unconstitutional?

36. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

I’ll get rid of my armed drones when she gets rid of her flying monkeys…

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I laughed out loud. Well done.

37. avatar BillF says:

“We should not allow armed drones in the United States, period,”
    But doesn’t she have a carry permit?

38. avatar Excedrine says:

Uhm, isn’t already illegal to fly an armed private aircraft here in the U.S.? I’m pretty sure it is. If so, it’s not a huge stretch to broaden that interpretation to unmanned drones as well.

Just sayin’.

1. avatar BillF says:

Yeah but Feinstein never met a restrictive law she didn’t like. Never hurts to make something illegaler*. Layers of laws bound by a spiderweb of impenetrable legal language–just in case.

*Don’t say it. It was on purpose.

39. avatar Rambeast says:

The operator was startled due to her just getting out of the shower. He didn’t know what a shaved upright basset hound looked like.

40. avatar Keith in TX says:

I pity that poor drone.
    No drone should ever experience such torture.

41. avatar WI Patriot says:

As fast as they can put them up, I can shoot them down, so bring it…

1. avatar Keith in TX says:

They can take you out from six miles away before you could even see it in your scope.

42. avatar Aharon says:

Only the government should be able to arm drones so they can attack and kill members of wedding parties, little children, and at some point in the future kill American citizens too. The government hates politicians.

1. avatar Rich Grise says:

“The government hates politicians.”

The government IS politicians.

They fear/hate Freedom!

43. avatar Hannibal says:

I love that someone is giving her a dose of her own medicine. This woman is a shill for the NSA and has no problem with the government spying on US… why is she afraid of us spying on her? After all, if she has nothing to hide….