OMG! It’s a Rifle! In a Rental Car! OMG!

Lauren Tannehill's AR-15. Allegedly. (courtesy sun-sentinel.com)

“A New York mom vacationing in South Florida was expecting a healthy dose of sun, surf and fun,” sun-sentinel.com reports. “Imagine her surprise when her daughter unzipped a bag in their rental Nissan Rogue and found a rifle — a big rifle. Looking just like the ones real soldiers use.” What’s worse than surprised? “Horrified, she immediately called E-Z Rent-A-Car and then drove to the nearest police station. And there would be one more surprise: The AR-15 semiautomatic had been left behind by model Lauren Tannehill, the wife of Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill. ‘We got out of the car, we were kind of freaked out,’ Judith Fleissig recalls of the moment this month when she and her daughter found the weapon. ‘I didn’t want to touch it.'” It gets better. But first, what’s the bet the rifle actually belonged to Mr. Tannehill? Then again . . .

lThe forgetful Lauren Tannehill with her husband (courtesy gossipextra.com)

A model in possession of an AR-15, the civilian’s version of the military’s M-16, may be incongruous to some. But it shouldn’t surprise Lauren Tannehill’s fans who view postings of her on Twitter.

Pictures on the social media site show her and her husband shooting guns together. Ryan Tannehill, who is from Texas, has often talked about his hunting experiences.

The Tannehills view this as a personal matter, according to a Dolphins spokesman Wednesday.

The gun legally belongs to Ryan Tannehill, and the couple immediately called the rental car company to report a missing item, even though the couple didn’t specify what was in the bag, a football league source said.

OK, fair enough. But what of the New York tourist? Who’s gonna pay for her PTSD treatment eh? I smell a lawsuit! Or something nasty . . .

Fleissig said she and her daughter jumped out of the car to get away from the gun. “I took a picture, zipped it back up and went to the police station. They came out and took it.”

Picture or it didn’t happen, happened. Anyway, nice optic. For a girl . . .

[h/t Dirk Diggler]

comments

1. avatar Danny says:

Typical blond move, lol.

2. avatar ST says:

Ever wondered why the SAFE Act passed and Andrew Cuomo still has a job?

Judith Felissig is why.Take careful note that she has kids.

1. avatar Phydeaux says:

Yes, some of them have kids. The good news is that many of them use birth control or have abortions instead. “The very conservative have 45% more kids on average than the very liberal.” There is hope.

Source: http://super-economy.blogspot.com/2010/05/conservatives-have-more-children-than.html

1. avatar dakiwi13 says:

how is that even true when in my circle of 7 married couple friends there only 9 kids amongst all of us

but down the street in the seedier part of town lequisha has 7 kids with 6 different men?

1. avatar Eric says:

Assuming you’re asking seriously (and that’s a big assumption on my part) the families of the fictional “lequisha”s you’re referring to represent less than 10% of the population. Further, the youth and young-adult violent mortality rate in that same environment “down the street” is just staggering. Enough so that population growth is not keeping up with the rest of the nation -that percentage above is actually falling.

Meanwhile, if you get *out* of the cities, beyond the circle of friends you cited, large families are still a “thing”.

2. avatar Larry says:

How do you account for all of the Betty Sues with 8 kids from different fathers, you racist moron?

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

There will be fewer kids among those who vote liberal (i.e., as they’re told by those who give them free stuff) when the welfare payments and food stamps stop for unmarried mothers professional welfare recipients.

1. avatar Larry says:

Funny, in my part of the country, I see plenty of welfare/food stamp recipients who are staunchly Republican.

3. avatar Mecha75 says:

thats why the liberals went into teaching. to “Socialize” our kids.

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

The sad thing is the hoplophob daughter was in Miami with her mother to interview for a residency in Pediatrics. That is just what we need in Florida. Another NYC liberal practicing pediatrics.

3. avatar MacBeth51 says:

You got to wonder if she’s ever figured out why she has them

3. avatar Paul says:

How does someone leave a rifle in a rental car?

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Ask the dozens of law enforcement officers who leave guns in restrooms, on top of their cars, and numerous other public places.

That said, why do I never manage to find one of these? (Of course, “I would take all appropriate steps to return the firearm to its lawful owner”, he said.)

2. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

I’d feel pretty stupid if I did that.

3. avatar Rick says:

I’ll bet the cleanup / turnaround crew at the rental car agency is simultaneously kicking their butts / getting their butts chewed for half-assing this cleanup.

4. avatar BlueBronco says:

By getting out in a hurry. Some of those kiosks have things moving fast and a bunch of workers. She could have had multiple bags. She was switching rental cars.

5. avatar Scottlac says:

Don’t ALL rental SUVs in South Florida come with this feature? Or, is it an upgrade option?

4. avatar chuck (hates nj) says:

“Oh my god, its a gun!” I said “I think I’m going to throw up” that’s a serious reaction to an irrational fear. She should seek help from a mental health professional immediately.

1. avatar Danny says:

But won’t she then lose her 2nd Amendment rights? I can just picture it:
      “Thank you doctor for helping me get rid of my fear of guns. They are just tools. I think I may be interested in having my own.”
      “Sorry, but by speaking to me you can no longer possess a firearm by law.”

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

You win the internets. For today.

1. avatar styrgwillidar says:

I agree, he definitely has my vote.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

WIN!

2. avatar NYC2AZ says:

There is a snarky part of me that would say “I’m okay with that in this particular case”. Then the less emotional/more rational part of me thinks that you make a perfect observation of why seeking “mental health legislation” is just another slippery slope to confiscation.

3. avatar flatfootedman says:

Technically false*, but humorous and occasionally true.

*If not presenting evidence nor making statements that the patient is a threat to self or others, and is otherwise competent to be in public without supervision or guardianship.

2. avatar FoRealz? says:

Good thing she didn’t see the KAC condom promo swag.

3. avatar Old Ben turning in grave says:

This is why basic firearm safety should be offered in schools. Even if you don’t own one, you might find one. People should know how to remain calm and know what to do.

And it would undermine the screaming hysteria that leftists have been trying to foster. Which is why basic firearm safety will not be offered in schools.

4. avatar Mecha75 says:

And she should be barred from owning firearms since these type of libtards are the most likely aggressors in mass shooting scenarios.

5. avatar Fed Up says:

The one with the irrational fears of cased firearms in car trunks is a physician. Apparently a pediatrician. Now we know where the American Academy of Pediatrics gets its hoplophobic policies from.

5. avatar Steve in MD says:

I never got a free gun in a rental car before.

But seriously, they were afraid of a piece of metal? That’s just not normal.

1. avatar UrbanFuturistic says:

Because they are taught that the gun itself is evil and to be feared.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Exactly right!

2. avatar Jacob says:

Leaving New York and planning on returning of your own free will shouldn’t be normal either.

3. avatar BDub says:

This lady would have had the same reaction to the damn jack and tire-iron.

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

2. avatar Dennis says:

Do cars even come with jacks and tire irons, or even spare tires, any more?

4. avatar USMCVeteran says:

They must have thought that they’d catch something contageous, like cooties.

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

or worse. A Pierced Organ firing a SAW type smile while just touching the pretty package.

5. avatar BlueBronco says:

Classic case of hoplophobia.

6. avatar mlopilato says:

““‘Oh my God, it’s a gun.’ I said, ‘I think I’m going to throw up,’””.

Quoting that to add more quotation marks, and also because it’s one of the dumbest things I’ve every read.

7. avatar ropingdown says:

Floridians, please grab the New Yorkers while you’ve got them and offer them comfortable and fun tourist shooting opportunities. This is the only way the tide can be changed. “Travel,” so they say, “is broadening.” Work it.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Preferably not at gunpoint.

1. avatar Wiregrass says:

You know you needed to add that. When I was growing up down there, I knew several I would have liked to escort out of state in that manner.

2. avatar UrbanFuturistic says:

You know, this might not be a bad idea. They do something similar in Hawaii for the Japanese tourists. They put up ads in Japanese for them to visit the ranges and shoot full auto. Its a huge attraction.

An enterprising individual could establish a business offering something similar. Group rates, family deals, package deals and all.

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

A couple of years ago a friend took a family on vacation from Britain to our range and had mom, dad, and the two sons shooting Glocks, 1911’s, J-frames, and finally a rental full-auto Uzi. A good time was had by all. The sons, in particular, will never forget that Uzi.

Introducing politically disadvantaged folks to the joys of shooting is one way to gain adherents that might vote our way in the future. Of course, the family of Brits is unlikely to do much good against what they’re dealing with, but it still helps to have a few more people willing to disagree with their pols on the issue.

1. avatar Roscoe says:

Ain’t that the truth; exposure to reality can be so enlightening.

Problem is, they go back to the same old environment where they’re constantly bombarded by mind numbing incessant anti-gun distortions from the media, politicians and government officials. Soon the experience is just a fantastical memory.

For these two women I see little hope. They project hoplophobic fears reinforced with regular anti-gun media hype and politicians rhetoric spoon fed to them daily in their home state.

2. avatar BT in Afghan says:

I also did this with friends from Briton. They went from fear of guns to wanting to come back just to be able to shoot again. We shot SKS, M1 Garand, Glock 17, and shotguns. A true blast was had by all, pun intended.

It is always fun to take someone to the range who is afraid of guns. They usually leave wanting to go again. Easy converts if you can just get them to go the first time.

2. avatar pod says:

There’s a range in Miami that does just that – http://lockandloadmiami.com – they advertise heavily to tourists. When I went there the bulk of the customers were from out of the country.

3. avatar Michael B. says:

I’d rather we grab NYC tourists and throw them out of the state, but okay.

1. avatar BlueBronco says:

How about a 1-way trip to Cuba.

8. avatar Hal says:

LMT WIN

…although I’m not so sure how the 3x mag works with fixed iron sights. Weird.

1. avatar Tom says:

Dude, you blind? There’s an EOTech on it.

1. avatar Hal says:

Um, are YOU blind? There’s a 3x magnifier behind that EO tech. Do you homework or up your attention to detail.

1. avatar relentless415 says:

come on people would you not attach the extra equipment to ensure nothing gets lost while the fire arm is not in use?

9. avatar DanRRZ says:

Wow glad they didn’t touch the rifle. Those things have a nasty tendency to indiscriminately murder when rubbed the wrong way.

1. avatar TheBear says:

Their irrational fear was a bit much, but people with no firearms training or knowledge at all should actually probably not touch a gun.

I don’t see a problem with this.

People who touch and fondle everything they see and do not understand end up losing fingers or hands.

Hell, it used to be that kids would ASK prior to petting a dog. Now they feel entitled to it. It sucks I have to keep a muzzle on my dog to walk her.

1. avatar Defens says:

That’s what Eddie Eagle would recommend! “Stop! Don’t touch! Tell an adult (or at least someone more adult than you….!)”

2. avatar Mecha75 says:

Not my kids. they ask

1. avatar TheBear says:

Must actually, you know, do some parenting then.

It’s not very popular these days.

10. avatar MichaelB says:

“Thinking they would just call the owner, they searched for an ID, but there was none, she said. Her daughter unzipped the bag and said, “‘Oh my God, it’s a gun.’ I said, ‘I think I’m going to throw up,’” Fleissig said.”

Idiots.

I would have been: “SWEET! Free gun!!!!”

1. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Exactly. This sucker would have been going home with me.

1. avatar TheBear says:

Bad move.

Can’t the police confiscate all of your firearms if they find even one stolen gun in your collection?

I suppose the owner would have had to be smart enough to note the serial somewhere but I personally would never take a strange gun home with me.

1. avatar Timbo says:

Why not? I take strange women home with me all the time. And that is certainly more dangerous. Just ask my attorney.

2. avatar Mecha75 says:

but the gun was never stolen. it was left and lost by its owner.

3. avatar TheBear says:

Mecha,

This is an interesting comment because whether finding something constitutes ownership or whether/how long one must try to find the original owner before claiming ownership varies by state /I think/.

For instance, in most states if you pick a wallet up off the ground and pocket it, it’s considered theft. The same for hopping in a car with the keys in the ignition.

However, if you take that wallet to a counter and it sits there for a few weeks, I believe it can legally be claimed by the person who found it.

It would be awesome if a LEO or lawyer could chime in here. I am too lazy to google. 🙂

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

Once the serial number had been reported, it would become possession of a stolen firearm. Of course that’s just the lower receiver.

11. avatar Hal says:

She can leave my dust cover open any time…

12. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Rifle, what rifle?

13. avatar mike says:

“…jumped out of the car to get away from the gun…”

Rolling my eyes so much that my eyesockets are hurting now.

1. avatar Anon in CT says:

. . . and was immediately stuck and killed by a passing semi truck. Just another sad victim of “gun-related violence”.

1. avatar NYC2AZ says:

“… and was immediately struck and killed by a passing semi truck.”

And so much more likely to happen. +1

2. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Those rifles are shifty, good move.

3. avatar Timbo says:

“‘Oh my God, it’s a gun.’ I said, ‘I think I’m going to throw up,’” Fleissig said. Fleissig said she and her daughter jumped out of the car to get away from the gun.

She wouldn’t have to run away from my AR. Damn thing won’t even load itself, much less shoot someone. I think it’s defective.

4. avatar Jus Bill says:

I think I now know why only she and her daughter went on vacay.

14. avatar Anon in CT says:

It Hertz so good . . . .

1. avatar BDub says:

…she ALAMOst threw up.

1. avatar dudebro says:

definitely not a BUDGET rifle

1. avatar ShaunL. says:

That ENTERPRISing woman should sue!

2. avatar Dr. Kenneth Noisewater says:

Sounds like she should consult professional legal AVISe..

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

I love you guys.

4. avatar Brooklyn in da house says:

Its worth a few DOLLARs

5. avatar BT in Afghan says:

too EASY RENTAL.

of

not your average RENT A WRECk.

6. avatar Hal says:

A more THRIFTY shooter would choose Stag Arms…

2. avatar Troutbum5 says:

So as not to leave them out…This irrational fear is quickly becoming a NATIONAL epidemic.

15. avatar Gyufygy says:

In my most anti-2A phase, I would have been baffled to see a rifle like that and unsure if the damn thing was legal for civvies, but I sure as hell wouldn’t have wanted freaking vomit! What kind of a stupid reaction is that?

1. avatar UrbanFuturistic says:

Because you react logically. They react emotionally. Normal people dont jump out of cars and come close to vomiting when they find an unloaded rifle in a rental car.

2. avatar Michael B. says:

Even if I didn’t know **** about the second amendment or guns I would’ve thought it was a neat find before taking it to a police department.

I don’t get people who are scared of guns. It seems like it’s mostly histrionic women and insane pansified white liberal big city males.

16. avatar PT Stud says:

I would of returned the rifle. Then I’d be all like, “what optics?”

1. avatar Michael B. says:

lmao

2. avatar Steve in MD says:

All I found was a stripped lower.

1. avatar Finders keepers says:

Screw you guys….. All I found was a empty bag….

1. avatar Steve in MD says:

What bag?

2. avatar Hal says:

What car?

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

Exactly!

17. avatar DisThunder says:

It’s a reasonable reaction, it’s just all about context:
    If I were to get home from shooting and find an empty bag, my response would’ve been “Oh my God, where’s my gun. I think I’m going to throw up.”
    Or perhaps looking in my safe after an impulse buy, maybe “Oh my God, it’s a KSG. I think I’m going to throw up.”
    Or when looking over the haul of a gun-buyback: “Oh my God, a Stg.44. I think I’m going to throw up.”
    Or when looking through the NY-SAFE approved list: Oh my God. A 10-rounder rotary setup for an AR. I think I’m going to throw up.”
    And there’s always the shock, followed by sticker shock moment: “Oh my God. A PMR-30. In a store. I think I’m going to throw u–wait, does that tag say $750?!?! BLEEEEAAAAAGGH!”

18. avatar Ted says:

In all fairness, I used to work in a mobile electronics shop in college. Some of our customers were in the “street pharmacy” business. On occasion while disassembling the interior of a vehicle we would find a weapon.

Our policy was to leave the weapon as is, call the customer, and politely ask them to retrieve their weapon.

I know I didn’t want my fingerprints on those weapons.

1. avatar JR says:

But did you run away from the car as fast as you can and have to stop yourself from almost throwing up?

19. avatar rammerjammer says:

This is a perfect example of the irrational fear of the antis.

20. avatar BDub says:

Is it grounds for divorce if your wife leaves your AR in the trunk of a rental car?

1. avatar Hal says:

Not that wife..

21. avatar ToddR says:

…she and her daughter jumped out of the car to get away from the gun.

They’re doing a great job trying to convince the public that these repulsive vermin, theses “firearms” as they’re called, actually do kill people.

22. avatar the ruester says:

Being Tannehill, I imagine this was the result of some sort of botched running back play…

1. avatar Gyufygy says:

http://xkcd.com/1100/ Something along these lines?

23. avatar lolinski says:

I would too have forgot the rifle if I was with such a dreamy guy.

*Swoons*

NOTE: I am not homosexual, this is a tired attempt at being funny.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

If I was Mrs. Tannenhill’s husband I might forget a gun, too. Depending on the circumstances.

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

along the lines of “This is my rifle, this is my gun. This one’s for fighting and this ones for fun???”

24. avatar Andrew says:

Do me a favor and grow up. What kind of world do we live in where people are terrified of just the sight of a gun? I admit, surprise is an understandable response. No one expects a gun in their rental car. You don’t have to like it, but please spare your floundering emotions for a more gruesome sight. You almost vomited? If a gun in a bag is going to make you ill I’d hate to see you at a more unfortunate time.

1. avatar Andy says:

Well, that IS the recommended tactic to counter a possible rape…

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Wait – guns kill and rape now?

HEY SHANNON!

1. avatar BlueBronco says:

No, the proper method to stop a rape in Colo is to pee or puke on them and blow a whistle.

2. avatar Mecha75 says:

I thought it was to pee on them or tell them you are menstrating. no, that aint it. it must be to blow your whistle.

25. avatar emfourty gasmask says:

I dont get how people can just forget $1500+ in firearm and firearm accessories. The first thing I do whenever I am transporting my arms is to check them all and make sure they are all where they need to be, because the damn things cost alot of money sheesh.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

That’s like forgetting a toothpick to the rich.

26. avatar Timbo says:

Is a rental car the same as a boating accident?

1. avatar IdahoPete says:

Be sure you have the rental receipt …

27. avatar Ing says:

Jumping out of a car to get away from a gun that’s strapped into a padded storage case in the trunk… Sad. Just sad.

The stupid is strong with these people.

28. avatar IdahoPete says:

“‘Oh my God, it’s a gun.’ I said, ‘I think I’m going to throw up,’” Fleissig said. [She] ‘found a rifle — a big rifle. Looking just like the ones real soldiers use.” “horrified…” ‘We got out of the car, we were kind of freaked out,’ Judith Fleissig recalls of the moment this month when she and her daughter found the weapon. ‘I didn’t want to touch it.”

These are classic symptoms of extreme hoplophobia. This woman needs to be involuntarily committed to a mental health facility for her own safety, and to protect the children.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Notice that little was said of her daughter’s reaction. It was probably slight. There is hope after all…

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

Or just that her irrational hoplophobia was so great she had no idea how her daughter reacted, what time of day it was, or that she was in the GUNSHINE state.

29. avatar Archon says:

Almost threw up?

Yea, and they want to be part of the rational conversation about firearms?? Wow.

30. avatar Dave says:

The article doesn’t mention if the rifle was found with ammunition. I think Mrs. Tannenhill deserves the IGOTD.

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

with or without ammunition, she deserves it for leaving it in the back of rental car alone.

31. avatar Coe says:

Ran away from a strapped in, unloaded rifle, almost threw up, and didn’t want to touch it?

She is officially lost to us… no amount of gun education and/or mental help can fix this. The children, however, are young and can still be saved.

32. avatar DJ says:

Loss of accountability for the weapon seems IGOTD worthy to me.

33. avatar Mike Williams says:

Florida is so freaking dangerous, they should be issuing rifles with every rental car.

1. avatar 505markf says:

Not even that could get me to vacation in such a humid place, the desert dweller replies.

34. avatar Yoel Grauberg says:

Used to work in rental car office back in the day, while cleaning a car that had been returned by a local cop who rented alot of cars for “surveillance work” found a .38 Colt snub under the seat. Called him and he came back to retrieve it, said thanks and gave me 20 bucks tip. A couple months later him and his brother were arrested for multiple bank robberies, they had been using our rental cars for getaways.

35. avatar 505markf says:

Well, I’m sure the tourists will spread their shock, dismay, and nausea upon their return to NY. At least they got a true vacation memory, though I suggest shark attack or a carjacking as more appropriate for their reactions.

When did hoplophobia and outright stupidity become social acceptable? Somehow I missed the turning point, but here it is.

1. avatar Rick says:

Which might result in fewer Damnyankee New Yawkers visiting Florida.

Yeah, I’d call that a “win.”

36. avatar Hal J. says:

“Imagine her surprise when her daughter unzipped a bag in their rental Nissan Rogue and found a rifle — a big rifle.

An AR-15 with a collapsible stock is “big”? How would the authors of this news report describe a Mauser with a 29″ barrel? As a crew served weapon?

1. avatar S.dogood says:

image if they found a mosin nagant LOL

37. avatar TommyNV says:

To be perfectly fair I don’t have any problem with the woman’s reaction when she found the gun. She’s away from home and just rented a car that SHOULD have been checked out by the rental agents before releasing it. They are supposed to do a walk-around, to check for damage, make sure the car is clean and ready to go. If I just rented a vehicle, drove away and then found a weapon in the back I would be very suspicious and probably a little freaked out myself. Was someone trying to set me up for a crime? Did some criminal leave this and is now looking for it? They obviously know the car they had it in.
    This shouldn’t be an OMG post, this needs to be a IGOTD post. According to other news stories I read the gun was said to be worth around $2300 and it does belong to Ryan Tannehill. She had the car for only a few hours and exchanged it for another, forgetting to take the rifle. She drove away and a few hours later is when she realized the rifle was gone! Not immediately, and the way it was written is seems that Ryan wasn’t in either of the vehicles.
    Yeah, there’s been a lot of stories about LEOs misplacing their weapons; they are irresponsible too. KNOW where your firearms are!

38. avatar Hal J. says:

One of the carriers at the post office where I work found a loaded S&W model 10 in a mailbox last year. As the resident “gun guy” they asked me to take a look at it while we waited for the police to pick it up.

39. avatar Alex Peters says:

Here’s what I think happened. The gun acquired the rental car, a la Aaron Hernandez, and performed a couple of drive-by’s. Afterwards, it went to the bar, had a few drinks, and drove back to the rental company wasted. It passed out drunk, only to be found the next day by an out-of-town woman and her daughter. The gun was immediately taken into police custody and is awaiting trial on charges of being scary and inducing nausea.

1. avatar Gregolas says:

PEALS of laughter from this zip code! Thanks!

40. avatar sonnyroofy says:

If the owner wasn’t a semi celebrity, the local pd will probably “lose” the rifle & never return it.

41. avatar Independent George says:

The overwrought reaction is definitely worthy of being mocked, but shouldn’t the Tannehills be considered the IGOTD, too? Because as much as the antigunners annoy me, this really was irresponsible and dangerous.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Not dangerous; it’s only a tool and isn’t going to fire itself. *rolls eyes*

1. avatar Dave says:

You’re right, the firearm by itself is not dangerous. However, the potential for something deangerious to happen is there. The “what if” scenarios are endless. Sure, I think the lady who found the rifle over-reacted, but it is very IGOTD worthy.

2. avatar Independent George says:

No, it’s not dangerous in and of itself, but do you really think that leaving a gun in a rental car is the same thing as leaving your keys behind?

Defensively saying that guns are just tools misses the whole point. Guns in the hands of responsible owners is a good thing. Guns in the hands of irresponsible owners are a bad thing (hence the IGGOTD award). I’m saying that a person who leaves a gun in a rental car is not a responsible owner.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

@Dave: You could “what if” anything to absurdity.

@Independent George:

I was only commenting on the “dangerous” portion of your statement. Thinking that this inanimate object is somehow dangerous by virtue of being left behind in a rental car is irrational.

Yes, I do. A vehicle can be a dangerous thing. How many people can be killed with it?

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The firearm was lost, not stolen. Morally, one should do all that is reasonable to find the owner. However, just because it is a firearm doesn’t make it somehow special. Unless the firearm is stolen, how can it be legitimately illegal when government is prohibited from infringing under the Constitution? Answer: It can’t. The People aren’t required to “know the first thing about guns”. The RKBA is unalienable; each is born with the natural right.

I’m not disagreeing that forgetting the rifle in a rental car could be considered irresponsible. I’m taking issue with you labeling it dangerous.

42. avatar cubby123 says:

Well when the gun wakes up it will bite them, don you know that?

43. I think it is a cool upgrade feature that rental company is offering:

“Comes with an AR15 for your protection”

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

It’s South Florida, not Chicago or Damascus.

1. avatar Ken Hagler says:

But Florida is full of large carnivorous reptiles. In Chicago you only find those in City Hall.

44. avatar ShaunL. says:

At least they weren’t back home in NY when this happened… Handing it over to the police there could have gotten an innocent bystander shot.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

And gotten them arrested for possession of an assault weapon.

1. avatar ShaunL. says:

An anti-gun New Yorker getting arrested for ANYTHING is a good thing in my book.

45. avatar Hal J. says:

And to think there are those on the Left who assert that there’s no such thing as hoplophobia…

46. avatar mrvco says:

It is a good thing they didn’t find a half empty pack of cigarettes in the glove box or a gray-market music CD in the center console.

We are most certainly doomed.

47. avatar CoolBreeze72 says:

So, … the first comment right out of the gate is a confirmation of the “fact” that this site is populated by sexist hill-jacks a’totin’ gunz. Can we refrain from this boy- howdy stuff. We got rid of the Israeli models for a reason…same goes for this comment. Besides, it is a lame, tired joke. Clean up our act please.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

Are you going to throw up too?

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

Please re-write this in English.

48. avatar dakiwi13 says:

why is it that anything that happens badly stemming from guns involves the state of florida?

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Because you’re not paying attention.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Or because it’s the fourth largest state in the nation by population, and states 1, 3, and 5 are gun-free utopias.

2. avatar BlueBronco says:

Because they don’t want to cover the really bad stuff going on in California such as the Fullerton cops getting acquitted for beating a young retarded man to death for fun. Nor the want to address the gang violence in Oakland etc.

This is rental car story is really a non-issue and no crimes were committed.

49. avatar 7.62x54r says:

Burmese python, I jump from said car. Rifle in a bag? Not so much.

1. avatar 7.62x54r says:

Wait a minute. Now I need a rifle in a bag!!

50. avatar Marcus says:

No, no, put your wallet away, Mr. Tannehill. Some tasteful nudes of the missus will be plenty thanks enough. Or not so tasteful. You know. Whatever.

51. avatar Brooklyn in da house says:

Why is an NFL QBs wife driving a rented Nissan Rogue?

1. avatar Mecha75 says:

to go to the range, duh!

52. avatar Timbo says:

“Look at the comments above from people who say they would have just kept it. How many people in the population at large might have decided instead to sell it illegally? or kept it without knowing the first thing about guns?”

Lighten up, Francis

53. avatar KCK says:

Sounds like a good reason for every American high schooler to take a “non freak out” course in firearms basics.
    I know I might have the same reaction if I found a land mine or a couple sticks of dynamight with wires and a clock counting down. Thus we know that we have a long way to go to bring the general public up to SAFTY speed.

54. avatar TX says:

So the ATF’s “Fast & Furious” yields to “Slow & Curious”.

As an admiral once said a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away: “It’s a Trap!” I’d jump out of the car, too.

“‘Oh my God, it’s a gun.’ I said, ‘I think I’m going to throw up,’”

Nobody that stupid should be allowed to reproduce.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

She may have metastasized.

56. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

About to throw up? Seriously? At the mere sight of and proximity to a firearm in the trunk? Get some help, little girl. God help her if anyone ever explains the physics of automobiles to her or shows her the injury/fatality stats. Good grief.

Turns out hoplophobia is a real thing. And here I was all this time thinking it’s just a snarky remark we sometimes make.

What I want to know is where her father is. There’s a reason that two parents are required to create a person, as each gender has much to impart upon their child beyond mere conception. This kid is clearly lacking some very basic coping skills.

1. avatar Dave_in_VT says:

OK, wait a minute…my wife’s scared of cars, loves guns (baught me a shiney new M4 for Christmas). What’s THAT called?

1. avatar Spaceman Brown says:

Logic.

57. avatar Keith in TX says:

How could they “jump out of the car” if they were standing behind it looking into the trunk?

1. avatar BT in Afghan says:

This is liberal horses–t, never try to think or use logic. She’s on a role, just go with it.

58. avatar Gregolas says:

Actually, in one of Jerry Springer’s Democrat primary runs for governor of Ohio, he was quoted as saying, ” We should teach our children to hates guns so much they will throw up when they see one! ” Maybe this New York chick is one his love-children.
    BTW, he never got past the primaries. Ohio voters threw up when they saw Springer.

1. avatar John in Ohio says:

I’m sure that his history of doing stupid things like paying for prostitutes by check… then letting the checks bounce… while he was on Cincinnati City Council… didn’t help his run either. 😉

59. Well…at least your wife is hot. When she hits 40 you can forget her in a rental car too.

60. avatar Chris in CT says:

I saw this in the Sporting News, which basically summarized the Sun-Sentinel article. I found this interesting: “The gun is often used for hunting and gun range enthusiasts, according to the Sun-Sentinel.” That’s it. No hyperbole, no “high capacity” drivel, just that sentence. Not sure if it’s progress or hypocrisy, but color me surprised that there was no Sandy Hook reference.

61. avatar BT in Afghan says:

If she had a son, the response would have been cool I found it, it’s mine.
    She would have still thrown up but the son would have had a new gun.

Of course the only thing I ever found in a rental car was a roach in NY, on my way to a military base. I would have gladly traded. Heck she could have smoked the roach and mellowed out a bit. By reading her reaction she needs to calm down and I bet she is for leagalizing pot.

62. avatar Troutbum5 says:

I might have felt like throwing up when I came to the conclusion that returning that object of beauty was the right thing to do. Besides, getting rid of a gun for the rather fetching Mrs. Tannehill is a much more appealing proposition than giving one up for Charlize Theron.

63. avatar bontai Joe says:

Thankfully this happened to a NY tourist in Florida and not to a Florida tourist in NY. Had it happened in NY, I am sure that the mother and daughter would have been arrested as terrorists, the car impounded, the rental company surrounded by a SWAT team and several nearby dogs shot.

64. avatar JohnPaschke says:

DINGBATS … all three

65. avatar Weekend at Bernie's says:

Looks like the removable front sight may be on backwards.

66. avatar Robert Seddon says:

I just got my daughter an Infidel Defender chest rig with class III plates .. she lives in Mass. .. No lib there. It is what they see in YOU and learn to live WITH you that decides ..
    Robert Seddon

67. avatar Gunr, from Oregon says:

You all seemed to have not noticed the real “criminal act” here. Someone left the dust cover open!

68. avatar Myshin says:

Imagine renting that car, getting pulled over, and having to explain to an “officer” that that’s not your rifle and that you didn’t even know it was there.

69. avatar M3@GAN says:

Really?? Honestly it is just a gun… yes, I would be shocked when I seen it and would have turned it in. But, screaming and getting PTSD??? Honestly I doubt she has it and if she does I want to see some observations to prove it. There are people out there that go to war and return with PTSD now they have actual reasoning for it! Why are people that scared of guns anyways? They have done a study before which should be common sense but when a gun is laying there (just like this incident) it will not grow legs and shoot, pistol-whip you, nor will it go off for any reason if you aren’t messing with it!!! Now when you have a criminal out with a gun pointing it at your head and your life is actually on the line then you should be scared, screaming, feel sick, and after get PTSD. Someone also said something in the comments about what would they say to the cops if they found it? Well my question would be what were they doing to get the car searched? Some people are just ridiculous!!!

70. avatar M3@GAN says:

And to be fair the owners should have locks on their cases when traveling and always have their firearms close and know where it is at all times because if it got into the hands of the wrong person it could have been an actual big deal it’s not like lost luggage. Then there’s the rental company who should have searched the vehicle no matter how long the car was gone all this could have been prevented if their job was done correctly and the owners were more responsible with their weapons.

71. avatar scoolbubba says:

People like Ms. Fleissig here are why abortion should be legal, and applied retroactively.

72. avatar Dustin Eward says:

Sick people… And they want us to get mental health checks?

73. avatar Pat says:

She and her daughter jumped out of the car to get away from the gun. Oh my God, it’s a gun, I think I’m going to throw up.
    Dumb, worthless broads. Should not be allowed to vote.