OMG! An “Assault Rifle”! On a Billboard! OMG!

SlideFire billboard (courtesy myfoxphilly.com)

“A billboard touting assault rifles as ‘Pure American’ as baseball and apple pie is stirring up controversy,” myfoxphilly.com reports. “Thousands of cars pass by the billboard in Chicago every day alongside a giant rifle is the American flag and Second Amendment in one corner and the Christian fish and the Statue of Liberty in the other. Slide Fire, the company behind the advertisement, is promoting how its product can effectively modify an assault rifle from semi to fully automatic.” Huh? It looks to me like Slide Fire‘s promoting modern black home defense sporting rifles as Americana. And, as the official letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives [and Really Big Fires] acknowledges, the Slide Fire device is designed for handicapped shooters. Seems like the mainstream media has a new target. So to speak.

comments

1. avatar JeffR says:

This billboard actually pisses me off. In the sense that it is a constant reminder that I live in Cook County and can’t own an AR.

1. avatar Janitor says:

We have a gun store/aquarium shop here. Virginia is weird

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I like the gun store / gas station in Canada.

1. avatar S.CROCK says:

i like the ATF in Colorado. no, not the group of thugs but the convenience store.

2. avatar Janitor says:

But do they sell ARs? I can buy a nemo fish AND an AR if I wanted to there. Now if they sold car parts and beer served by near naked women, I’d never have to go anywhere else

3. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

In Ukiah, California I saw a few wierd gun store combos. My favorite was “Car Stereos, Car Alarms, Guns.”

Across the street from my hotel there was a liquor store/gun store. It’s not the ENTIRE state that’s loopy.

4. avatar Mark Horning says:

In Arizona we have drive-thru gun/liqueur stores. 🙂

5. avatar JasonM says:

I was just about to mention the drive through gun store in Flagstaff, AZ, but Mark beat me to it.

2. avatar Jeff says:

that’s cool, I’m glad Aquaman found a good outlet for his abilities in retirement.

3. avatar William Burke says:

Gun store/Laundromat/Sandwich Shop would be nice. One-stop shopping!

1. avatar C says:

I would go broke waiting on my laundry

4. avatar jollyroger says:

In Florida we have a gun and spa store

5. avatar crashbbear says:

Here in Michigan we have a Gun/ Liquor& Tobacco/ Pizza place.

Its the real ATF+ pizza!

2. avatar Nigil says:

Sure you can. You just can’t (legally) keep it there. But you could keep a Mini-14 (no flash hider)…

1. avatar JeffR says:

No mas. Specifically banned now.

3. avatar David says:

Who says you can’t own a ar in Cook? Go to aany of the ranges in Cook and I bet you’ll see many many AR-15s.

1. avatar JeffR says:

You will. And those ranges tend to be in “home rule” towns that excluded themselves from Cook County’s ban ala Hoffman Estates (home to Cabelas.). Frankly, it doesn’t appear to be enforced – until it is. I have seen guys shoot banned firearms right next to off-duty cops at the range. Get a domestic call or something similar, however, I wouldn’t bank on getting any leeway.

4. avatar Hal says:

This was definitely a “meh” article until I read down a few lines. PA gun owners love ARs and anything else that goes bang so if some prick at channel 29 doesn’t like it then screw him. UNTIL, that is, I read that this billboard is in Chicago. Now THAT is funny. I hope tiny dancer has to drive by it in his armored limo every day. What a perfect slap in the face to every Chicago elite.

5. avatar RaulYbarra says:

You should come down hear to Southern Illinois, my friend. Then you’ll have the problem of figuring out *which* AR. Or perhaps going AK. Maybe getting the best of both with a Sig 556? Grrr…. decisions…

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Well, not a work of art its better than all the Drink Michigan Beer billboards I see every day.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

I like Bells.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Personally I like Crankers Brewery Honey Kolsch, but Moutain town station raspberry wheat is pretty high up there on the list.

1. avatar William Burke says:

The Belgian-style Trappist fruit beers are too over-the-top for me. Beer should taste like beer, not like a milkshake.

Unless it’s a chocolate stout. Which is one of the most wonderful treats in the world.

2. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Then you would like Crankers Crankenstein, which is my favorite fall beer.

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

Been to Bells many times. Good beer. Nothing like Oberon on a hot day.

3. avatar Bruce L. says:

I like it.

4. avatar Albaniaaaa says:

Eh we had many deist founders.

1. avatar Chase says:

Which ones were those? Please supply evidence.

1. avatar Shwiggie says:

Relevance would be better than evidence in this case.

1. avatar Albaniaaaa says:

Christianity is not american not that I care but that’s the falsehood the gun is fine

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

This piece is good for some background on the subject.

3. avatar Manimal says:

It is sad someone would ask for evidence of something that should be basic common knowledge about the founders of our country.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

Perhaps a Christian organization- or one that endorses Christianity- helped pay for the sign.

And you’re not talking about the non-american roots of baseball, either, so maybe let’s concentrate on the scary black gun.

3. avatar William Burke says:

Why doncha look it up? I dare you!

Actually, you’ll find many were, in fact, deists. But a majority? I’m not sure.

5. avatar surlycmd says:

I can hardly wait until the MDA cult releases a statement.

6. avatar FoRealz? says:

Lol. The anti gunners just got trolled.

Slide fire should prepare themselves for the huge wave of “tolerance” they are about to receive from the allegedly peaceful libs.

10 bucks says they’ve already received death threats from “non-violent” anti gunners. Any takers?

1. avatar Bova says:

They won’t be death threats. They will be messages of people wishing death on the owners and their families.

Close, but not quite the same.

1. avatar FoRealz? says:

Ah, you are correct.

I forgot that’s the usual sweet nothings they whisper are things to that effect. Stay classy left-tards.

2. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Those are just death threats as edited by lawyers.

7. avatar DrewR55 says:

No rear sight? Talk about spray and pray. But aside from that not bad.

1. avatar Rab says:

No point in actually trying to aim when using Slide Fire 🙂

8. avatar Hannibal says:

Yep, trolling, but every movement needs a bit of help in the morale department once in awhile.

9. avatar Your Friendly Neighborhood Anon says:

What kind of mutilated abortion of the English language is that second sentence?

1. avatar tater tot says:

‘merican journalism at its finest!

2. avatar William Burke says:

Not one of his best, I’ll agree.

10. avatar William Burke says:

And MAIG respects and supports the disabled. Am I right?

1. avatar FoRealz? says:

Unless said disabled person owns a firearm.

Then they is the devil. Got da devil right in ’em. Mmm hmm.

Them and Vicky Vallencourt.

1. avatar 505markf says:

Or unless the disabled needs to defend themselves. Pretty sure MAIG wouldn’t go to bat for them, either. Even disabled moms don’t qualify. Unless they are stupid wealthy and also donors to the right political party.

2. avatar Ing says:

Vicky Valencourt is hot.

11. avatar Swarf says:

the Slide Fire device is designed for handicapped shooters

Oh please. Don’t be coy.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

The Slide Fire is for handicapped people in the way that all of the bongs sold in head shops are for “tobacco use only”.

12. avatar Paul53 Old gringo says:

Just 6 words. Without guns we’d all be British.

13. avatar DMZ says:

“Slide Fire device is designed for handicapped shooters”

Robert? Ten lashes of the whip.

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

Not being allowed or able to afford a full auto gun IS a handicap in my book!

2. avatar Nigil says:

If you follow the link, you will see ATF’s letter confirming that the Slide Fire is not a device to making a semi-automatic weapon a fully-automatic weapon. It is apparently designed for people with limited hand function, and allows them to fire the weapon with the less-fine motor skills of pushing with their arms instead of using a single finger.

14. avatar Victor says:

There’s a billboard, not one block from my house, for some TV company that says
    “Christmas, Hannakah, Kwanzaa, we all worship TV”
    mentioning of politically correct Kwanzaa aside, how is it ok in anyones mind to say that we “worship” TV as if it were as important as religion? I’m not even religious and this pisses me off.

ugh… liberals…

15. avatar Andy says:

Love them shoving it in the faces of the elitist’s in Chicago , they are so full of themselves that they really think that the rest of the US will go along with their national gun control , a storm is coming and it will be devestating to the government , and their lackies , they just don’t understand that they almost already caused a 2nd Revolution last year around April , when the gun control bill if it would have passed would have been the trigger and started insurrection on a nation wide scale , remember folks there are over 1 million gun owners out there and a lot of them are so the mind that their guns will have to be taken by force , and there will not be registration , what the Feds will get is a backlash that will consume them .Be prepared and ready.Keep your powder dry.

1. avatar Drew says:

Over 1 million? That’s an understatement. Now as to a civil war? I doubt it.

2. avatar mac says:

funny that the last 5 major shootings in the US were by registered Democrats …go figure guess r. maddow and chris mathews along with that retard from britain piers morgan missed that the spineless bastards

16. avatar Dirk Diggler says:

Question is, does Rahm get to see this billboard often? I am sure the people of chicago are tired of cleaning up his piss stains off the limo’s upholstery.

17. avatar Mad Max says:

I think there are way more than 1M gun owners in the US. More like 60M on the low end of the estimates.

There are probably 1.5M (or more) gun owners that are, or would become, three-percenters.

18. avatar Jonathan - Houston says:

This sign is awesome. Let the anti’s fret and sweat, I say, every time they drive past.

1. avatar mac says:

amen that semi auto is as much a part of the inception as the apple pie and probably beat baseball to the states actually anti commies can kiss my ass i love it

19. avatar mac says:

boys don’t forget to check out fostech for the “bump ski” solid piece of equipment that makes the ak sing a little louder and of course faster ah….capitalism at its best fellas the more restrictions the more our ingenuity rises