Range Day: Lancer L30 Series Rifles

Well, I can honestly say I was glad I walked all the way to the end of the range yesterday, because the reps from Lancer were showcasing their new 7.62 x 51 L30 modern sporting rifle. And there was no line to shoot them. Bonus! I gotta say, I love me some carbon fiber: I once dropped a grand on a Dunhill carbon fiber fountain pen, so I was positively salivating over these beautiful precision rifles . . .

Courtesy Joe Grine

These rifles are available in five configurations: Heavy Metal, Designated Marksman, Long Range Tactical, Modern Battle Rifle, and Hunter. They feature ambidextrous bolt releases and oversized magazine release buttons.  They are designed to be used with the SR-25 / DPMS style magazine, as well as Lancer’s own new L7 Advanced Warfighter Magazine. And I really like how the mag well extensions are removable so that the rifle can be adapted to specific missions.

Courtesy Joe Grine

A couple of the test samples were set up for competition shooting, and they really had a race car look and feel to them.  Even the muzzle brakes looked sleek and modern.

Courtesy Joe Grine

And did I mention that the handguards are made of carbon fiber?

Courtesy Joe Grine

comments

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Nice, I like the look of carbon fiber to, but I don’t have an extra grand around, so I can stick to aluminum.

1. avatar Andrew says:

Sorry, too busy drooling over this beautiful rifle.

Just gotta say it – I think Lancer’s industrial design team is probably the best in the industry right now. I was looking at one of my L5 mags the other day and just really admiring the thought and clarity that went into the design of the item.

I love, LOVE, the flared top receiver front that gracefully flows into the hand-guard. Details, details, details.

1. avatar max says:

I had a lancer mag at one time. I actually still might have it… Either way I wasn’t impressed. I look at a pmag in one hand and then back to a lancer in the other and have no inclination to acquire any more of their magazines. Mind you, I might have an older version, but with the quality and availability of Pmags you have to ask if there is any reason to buy anything else?

2. avatar LK says:

A thousand dollar pen? Geez…I hope it baked cookies too!

1. avatar William Burke says:

And cleaned the toilets, and did plumbing repairs.

3. avatar Brian says:

Forget the rifle, where’s the review of the pen?

1. avatar J.K. says:

The Truth About Pens!

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Two thousand dollar pens from a company that has the word ‘instruments’ misspelled in their URL.

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I’ll bring that to the IT guys attention tomorrow morning.
          I never noticed that.

3. avatar David PA/NJ says:

Read the product description: at the end of the second paragraph the word unique is missing the n. That is a much bigger deal than a misspelling in a URL obviously

Marketing Rule #1: Never name an expensive rifle after a cheap wine. Just don’t.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

At least they didn’t call it ‘Boones Farm’

1. avatar William Burke says:

Or “Annie Green Springs”.

2. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

“Thunderbird” might work.

5. avatar JL says:

How were the mags?

6. avatar ensitue says:

“I once dropped a grand on a Dunhill carbon fiber fountain pen,”
    And I’m supposed to respect your opinion of a firearm that I might have to bet the lives of my family on?
    Waiter? Check Please!

1. avatar rawmade says:

What does that have to do with anything?
      I notice more and more on this site people talk shit about those who spend more money on items than they do.
      Spend a few grand on a rifle? Youre a tacticool wannabe.
      Buy a nice car? Pretentious prick.
      Spend $300 on a knife? Complete moron.
      Buy nice gear? Youve got a small dong.
      I dont get it, but its getting annoying.
      If people want to only spend $300 on their guns thats A okay with me, I dont look down on people for it, why do people have to talk shit about those who can afford or choose to buy expensive nice things?
      The past week I can probably count 50 comments here of people talking shit about anyone who spends more on items than they do.

Side note; I know your post was probably in jest, razzing him for spending so much on just a pen, but I used your post to vent a bit as its related

1. avatar Dan A says:

Rawmade,
        I’ve noticed the same thing too, lately. Hell, see Kevin’s post below for a perfect example–you can smell the whiny butthurt from across the ‘tubes, maybe SHOT brings it out in people?

2. avatar TommyNV says:

A man that educated about pens has probably done more than enough study on firearms if he’s writing about them.

7. avatar Kevin says:

Anyone that buys a frickin’ pen for 1k deserves to be stabbed with it. I couldn’t think of a worse thing to do with the $. Throwing it in the trash would probably be more useful. I can’t believe these “luxury” companies have the audacity to even charge that much.

1. avatar Dan A says:

You have issues.

1. avatar Kevin says:

I have issues? I’m not the one who bought a PEN for 1k. This behavior should be ridiculed, not defended. He should be embarrassed.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

For what? Spending his own money on something you don’t care about? I’m sure gives exactly as much of a damn about your opinion of his spending habits as you give about that pen. I’m sure you’ve never dumped money into something that you cared about that someone else thought was stupid. (And if you truly haven’t, well, I pity you, because that sounds like a pretty uninteresting way to live.)

2. avatar Kevin A. says:

Translation: “How dare somebody have more money than me!”

8. avatar Jamie in ND says:

How much slop is there between the upper & lower? I hate sloppy ARs.

9. avatar ErrantVenture11 says:

Take heed, extended exposure to sunlight can do awful things to unprotected carbon fiber. Probably not a problem on a gun, but I’ve seen lots of rice burners with exposed CF that looks awful after a few years in the wild.