New from Ruger: Different Styles of The American Rifle

P1020064

You could subtitle this year’s announcements from Ruger as “variations on a theme.” Cribbing off their success with the American Rifle in .30-06, Ruger is expanding the line to include an “All Weather” version in stainless steel and additional calibers such as .243 Win, .22-250, .308 Win and many more.

P1020069

Also thrown into the mix are a new line of rimfire American Rifle entries. The guns will be in .22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR, and all have the same interchangeable parts to give you the proper length of pull and cheek rest position.

comments

1. avatar Colby says:

Don’t forget the .223 version that comes with a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

1. avatar tdubb says:

Mine has been ordered.

2. avatar William Burke says:

How about .270?

1. avatar TommyinKY says:

2. avatar RandallOfLegend says:

That was one of the base models already.

3. avatar Hank says:

I’ve owned an American in .270 since last spring, coupled with a Burris Fullfield II. I’m extremely happy with it, and can’t say enough good about it. I took all five deer allowed and have dispatched twice as many feral hogs (all at an avg of 200 yds). It’s truly a good rifle, and the price is gravy.

3. avatar Mark Horning says:

30-06, .270, 308, 7mm-08, 22-250 and .243 Win have been the base models for over a year.

The ,223 is the new one on the block.

Now if they would only add a 6.5mm caliber and a stock option that wasn’t jet black.

4. avatar Jonathan says:

Is it so hard to put iron sights on a center fire bolt gun??

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I was just going to say that. You see them on the rimfire all the time.

2. avatar Jim says:

Amen. I appreciate the fact that most prefer optical sights, but as we all know, sh#t happen, and I’d like the irons as a backup. Then too, there are some old school folks who just plain prefer iron sights, be they open or peeps. I think they should be offered as an option.

3. avatar Hank says:

I’d like to see that, too. I’m thinking about getting the .223 for my daughter, but I’d prefer she learned to be proficient with sights first, then the scope.

5. avatar Abram says:

I heard rumors of nitrided Americans…any word?

6. avatar Dustin says:

I get a kick out of everyone saying that Ruger announcing the new caliber offerings in the American isn’t really something new. Maybe it isn’t an entirely new, ground-up design, but it is a new offering from them. I can just see a Ruger rep lurking behind a display waiting for a reporter to come by….

“Pst, hey. Hey c’mere. So Ruger’s got this thing and it’s not new, don’t get me wrong. But we have an additional variation on a theme we have going with our American Rifle. But it’s no big deal, just another caliber offering, and a different choice in material for the receiver and barrel.

But nothing new….you know, sorry I mentioned it. I’m just gonna go back to my corner and let you interview people about all the new AR-15’s, cause everybody knows there always groundbreaking and unique innovation coming out of the hundreds of AR and 1911 companies.”