New from CZ: DW “Elite Series” Chaos 9mm 1911

P1010751

For ages, STI has dominated the competition handgun market. If you wanted an accurate and quick pistol, they were really the only game in town. Now Dan Wesson (distributed by CZ, or owned by by CZ, I can’t remember which) has come out with a competition grade 9mm handgun in their Elite Series Chaos 9mm. The double-stacked handgun feels pretty great — crisp trigger, smooth operation, and great sights — but the MSRP is right around $4,300. Pretty steep, but then again there are people with that kind of cash to throw around.

comments

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Nice title, maybe Nick is dazed by the lights, or having a lack of sleep.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Whatchoo talkin’ bout, Willis?

>.>

<.< Move along, nothing to see here (anymore)

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I seen that….. It was magic or maybe it was sober Matt?

2. avatar Elliotte says:

Speaking of stuff at the top, check the misspelling in the URL “crom”. Kinda funny considering the URL misspelling discussion in the previous post.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

The url spelling is based on the title of the article as originally spelled. Changing the title later means nothing, but changing the url (which can be done) has deeper consequences. Easier to just leave it alone.

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

“Now Dan Wesson (distributed by CZ, or owned by by CZ, I can’t remember which)…”

From the CZ-USA “About Dan Wesson” page:

“CZ-USA in early 2005 acquired Dan Wesson Firearms and is now managing it as a part of the CZ corporate group.”

3. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I really do appreciate all the coverage, I know I had a lack of sleep last night trying to catch up on all the articles.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Normally the posts run from 9 am eastern to 10 pm eastern, every hour on the hour. For the past two days they’ve been running from 8 am eastern to 11 or 11:30 pm eastern, every half hour, plus randomly placed insertions. It’s a lot to keep up with.

And with that, I think I’ve reached my quota of comments for this post.

4. avatar ensitue says:

TTASS
    The Truth About SHOT Show
    #1 mfg reps trying to make a sale
    #2 Buyers trying to get a deal and a kick-back
    #3 Smoozers trying to get trash and trinkets
    #4 Dead Tree Writers trying to look like they are still “meaningful”
    #5 Flys
    #6 Internet Journalists

1. avatar shawn says:

#7 The Pros…talking about the one people pay for.

5. avatar Taylor Tx says:

Id love to get a chance to run one of these competition 1911’s in 9mm. I always see the damn things, even seen a few people shooting them at the local range now and again, look like fun. That fancy beveled mag well and all those extra fiddly bits mmmm

6. avatar Curt Bibb says:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………….

7. avatar Ima Yeti (Paul, no not the alien from the movie) says:

$4300? For a 9mm? Is it just me or WTF?

1. avatar Andrew says:

I also “WTF-ed” at this.

I can see absolutely NO justification for a price tag of $4300 for this (albeit probably nice) firearm.

Seriously, Is that a typo?

1. avatar lolinski says:

It is a competition gun. Those are usually very expensive and pretty much useless except for competition.

1. avatar Rob1285 says:

I would understand the price if it came with an optic, or had all the serious competition stuff like a compensator with all the high speed ninja cuts and fancy scroll work and all that…I just don’t see where this gets a $2,300.00 price jump (pulling price from STIs Website) over a 9mm STI Edge?

2. avatar Roscoe says:

“…$4,300. Pretty steep, but then again there are people with that kind of cash to throw around.”

I hear Sean Penn will soon be in the market for a new pistol/ass…just sayin’.

8. avatar WI Patriot says:

Owned by CZ, the “Wesson” name is just that, in name only…

1. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

I call that pulling a “Springfield.”

9. Lol, “What”?… $4,300.00, for a 9mm, Hand Gun?… [Maybe, paying that, for the “Gold Ones”, they Confiscated, when they “Raided”, Saddamm Hussein’s, “Hide-Out”?….]. “Only”, for a Collection, Never to Defend myself?… And, “Certainly “Not”, this Brand?…. Secondly, Not wanting to carry, Something less Afficiant. than the Ultimate Side Arm, Weapon, designed by the U.S. Army, prior to W.W.II, for it’s Infantry Man’s, Sidearm!…All my pIstols, “4”, in .45’s, didn’t cost nearly that much???… [the Spingfield,XD, and the newer, version, XDm,
    Which are a Sheer “Joy”, to shoot, chambering 230 grain, Shells, shoot more Accurate, than my 9mm, “Glock 19”, [SHOOTING 115 GRAIN, AND 124 GRAIN], and with “Almost”, THE SAME RECOIL!!!… My over & under, “Bond Arms, Snake – Slayer IV, “Derringer”,with a Driving Holster, which fits,over your belt, covered by an “Untucked Shirt”!… that chambers either .41O, 3 inch Magnum, shells, or, .45 long Colts!…[preferring, both Barrels,having, 3 inch Magnum, .41O, “OOO” Buck Shot!…[5 pellots in each, leaving the chamber with the same Velocity, as 5, .357 Magnum shells!…at LAST, MY, very, small, easily concealiable, [10 shot, douible – stacked in the handles grip], a “Taurus”, Millenium, PT-145…. I’m Safe, and the Extra

money to “Boot”!

1. Sorry!… Typing too fast, [And not thinking that quickly]. I mistakenly posted, that the .45 caliber Side arm, was made prior to W.W.II, when in all Actuality, it was made, prior to W.W.I!….[i couldn’t, find the “Correction”, button, to edit!… ]. Please, be Advised, of my “MISTAKE”!… Thank You!…

1. avatar Drew says:

None of your sidearms are suitable for top tier comp shooting and if any could be made competitive it would cost a similar amount in man hours alone. It’s like bitching about a $1.4million irl car and pointing out your $700 caravan holds more lumber or something.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Like air combat it’s not the crate, it’s man in the crate. Everything else equal the $4300 pistol is probably “better” in some sense than Springfield’s new 9mm Range Oficer. The question is either pistol more accurate than the shooter? If the answer is yes then you are wasting your $3400. I am sure that Nick, for example, would be better with a $500 Glock than I would be with $4300 anything.

2. lol, Drew, PLEASE GET REAL?…”CORRECTION”!… All, my guns, “Are” suited for “Top Tier”, COMPETITION!… lol [The 2 “Springfield’s”, as my Primary Weapons, the, Bond Arms, Derringer, & Taurus, for “Back – Up”!….]. Which, by the way, is also, Used
          for, “Self Defense”! [This form of Shooting, while, Always, Maintaining a Cool, “Head”, & Demeanor; in the face of Adversity “Is”, the Ultimate Form, of “Competitive Shooting”!… “TARGETS”!… Don’t, Shoot Back!…

2. avatar Drew says:

And how often do you engage in this “ultimate competition”? My first guess would be never, my second would be once… Maybe… But probably not.

1. Than, you’d be as Wrong, as your Innane Comments!!!… [Actually, i have 7, left ears, to my necklace!]. Old Viet Nam, “Jungle Fighters”, Game, back in the early, 1970’s, while working,as one of a few, “NAVY DIVERS”, along side of the “Screaming Eagles”, Army’s, 101st Airborne, “Rangers”, out of Camp Eagle !… [We’d collect, from the Viet Cong, That Couldn’t Shoot, or Fight, Well Enough, to keep them, on their “Heads”!… lol, Then, to string on a necklace, after “curing”, them!… kid, I’ve Forgotten, More, about “Guns”, THAN YOU COULD, EVER HOPE TO LEARN!…]. Than, retiring after 25 years, for a U.S. Agency; that it wouldn’t be appropriate to Divulge!….
          The “Captain”, Stands “At Ease”!… lol

2. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

Holy punctuation, batman!

1. avatar Swarf says:

Mmm, yummy word salad.

2. Excuse Me!… ”
        “If”, i Use Punctuation Marks, to express, my feeling in my Writing!… lol {Parochial School, taught, by “Nuns”!…}. They taught Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, Manners, and, the “Punishments”, for “Not”, doing the correct things!…[Not, Stressed, in “Public Schools”!]. Helping me form, and Discipline myself!, into a pretty, “Well Rounded, I
        ndividual!…

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

Well, there goes this month’s comma allotment.

10. avatar Yoel Grauberg says:

When it jams at the range you can tell the guys with 500.00 Glocks that yours cost 4300.00.

1. avatar lolinski says:

Haven’t seen a CZ jam, might happen if you sacrifice a goat when the planets are in alignment.

1. avatar Rob1285 says:

I did get a 75 to jam once, but I was doing my best to make it happen.

11. avatar Rob1285 says:

Is the lower a polymer like the STIs, or is it just a wide body steel frame?

12. I did a double take at the price point …. at first I thought it said: “$430” and I thought, sweet!

Then I read it again.

$4,300 and I was all like, “Wow, that’s crazy.”