Slightly New From SIG/Sauer: P2022 FDE

SIG/SAUER had some big product launches this week, and the factory flat dark earth version of the P2022 wasn’t really one of them. The polymer P226-alike gets only a mild makeover this year with a factory FDE treatment and SIGLITE night sights. The 2022 is a much better gun than its lowly place in the SIG/SAUER catalog would suggest . . .

SIG doesn’t show it much love, but it’s actually an outstanding full-size pistol. (Read Nick’s 2012 review here.) We hope this mild makeover shows that SIG plans to keep it around for a while unlike the superseded P250, which (despite SIG’s repeated denials) probably has a remaining shelf life of less than two years.

comments

1. avatar UofUDavid says:

I love the XDm but if I had to choose another this would be at the top of my list. Great shooter, fits my hands, and fits the XDm holsters.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Cool! A gun I could afford.

3. avatar rawmade says:

I was gonna grab a 2022 recently, they seem like great guns for a relatively low price. Seeing this though, now I really want the FDE version. Wonder if itll still be the same $400ish price.

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Likely not, if it comes with night sights.

4. avatar IkeVT says:

And now I will kick myself in the nuts for just having ordered a black 2022 just last week.

1. avatar Kris says:

As you should. You could have had a Glock! 😉

Seriously, I’m a glock guy but the last hammer gun I truly loved was a 2022. If I had to cock a hammer again it’d be another 2022 or an FNX. Solid gun all the way around.

5. avatar TTACer says:

So this isn’t an all-new game-changer that changes everything?

6. avatar LongBeach says:

Damn that’s a good looking pistol. I’m considering one for my next purchase.

7. avatar MMinSC says:

I have been looking for a 2022. It seems the price has really goneup on these. $520 with the night sights is all I can find. I might just wait for his one though.

8. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

“Remaining shelf like” I presume is supposed to be “remaining shelf life.”

And now I can say that I’ve done it, but I still don’t see a way to offer a correction without feeling like a prick.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

When I typo an actual word, it still slips through the spell check. Which is still no excuse. Thanks for the tip; text corrected.

2. avatar Bob says:

Chris, you also need to correct the name of the gun in the title and in the text. It is an “SP2022”, not “P2022”.

I know … SIG tends to name all of their pistols P___, but this one is an exception to that rule.

9. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

That’s tempting. I do want an FDE pistol for some reason. Or maybe foliage green.

10. avatar B.Malloy says:

Love my sp2022.

11. avatar MD says:

I generally shoot striker-fired pistols, so my 2022 doesn’t get much range time. Occasionally I consider selling it. But whenever I take it out of the safe and hold it, I’m reminded how good it feels in the hand. I’m glad to see Sig offering new versions.

12. avatar Bucky says:

I just picked up a black one with night sights for $459 off gunbroker. Haven’t put my paws on it yet. Looking forward to it. Might paint the frame FDE if I can’t find one of these.

13. avatar MrPotatoHead says:

“We hope this mild makeover shows that SIG plans to keep it around for a while unlike the superseded P250, which (despite SIG’s repeated denials) probably has a remaining shelf like of less than two years.”

The SP2022 isn’t going anywhere. SIG has contracts with several governments including France which required a 20 year service life. Hence the name 2022. Plus it’s a kickass gun as compared to the P250, which isn’t.

14. avatar Clay says:

And, it’s more like a P229 than a P226. This gun has the smoothest DA/SA trigger I have seen out of the box. Is it exciting? Not really, but I won’t sell mine!

15. avatar Tackleberry says:

WANT!!! thankfully im 20 min away from the pro shop hehehehe

16. avatar JT says:

Only downside to the 2022 is the cost of additional mags.

17. avatar Jan says:

Picking one of these up from my LGS next week. (Yay for cali waiting period). Cost me a pretty penny, but regular sp2022 have gone way up around my area. The mag cost is a bummer, especially since it only comes with one. But after reading Nick’s review, various opinions online, and holding this side by side with the MK25 Desert, I’ve concluded that this would be a good first Sig pistol for me.

18. avatar caligula says:

Traded my P250 two-sum for an SP2022 with night sights – never looked back. The SP2022 has to be one of the best overall semiautomatic handgun values available. I’ve never had a problem and it shoots like a dream. It would be damn near perfect if you could get it with the SRT.

19. avatar Rook says:

I put one these on layaway today. Foolishly traded my last black one for a Remington model seven in .260 Rem which was actually a pretty cool rifle. Anyway, my dealer had one FDE and one 2 tone 2022 today. Put a c-note on the fde for layaway. I love these pistols except for the lack of aftermarketness. Although I too found that it works in a Blackhawk serpa for an XD45 service model.

20. avatar Derrick says:

Buds Gun Shop has the FDE version with black grips for $399 comes with nite sights and two mags. Wish I waited a couple weeks to order mine. It has the fde grip and nite sights, but only came with one mag for $452 w/shipping and insurance.

21. avatar Britny says:

I got my sp2022 FDE BG for a steal!!! 550 plus tactical bag and two extra mags brand new! Got lucky!!! I love my gun!!! Can’t wait to get another! Ps my first purchase…

1. avatar David says:

Wow Britny, word for word the same except mine was $429.00. Rural King rocks!!!