Hands-On With The New Taurus View

Today I got to wrap my hands around the new Taurus View on the SHOT Shot floor. Actually, I only got to wrap my thumb and middle finger around it because this is absolutely the smallest 5-shot .38 revolver I have ever handled . . .

The visible internals are pretty cool, kind of like that ‘Visible V8’ car engine model I built in fourth grade when cars still had V8 engines.

The View is blessed with one of the smoothest double-action revolver triggers I’ve ever fondled, but the almost nanoscopic grip may prove to be something of a problem for some shooters.

Dan’s smallish hands were a decent fit on the View, but my average mitts just smothered the poor thing. I have to remind myself that I’m not really the intended shooter for a gun like this.

Image: Chris Dumm for TTAG

My thumb is approximately the same thickness as the View’s tiny grip. Maybe a tad longer. It will make it conceal like it’s not even there, but I couldn’t even manage a two-finger hold on it.

Street price should be around $300. It only weighs 8.5 ounces, but don’t worry: it’s not +P rated.

comments

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

Ouch. 8.5 ounces, +P ammo, teeny grip? My hand stings just thinking about it.

1. avatar int19h says:

When I get this thing (and it’s definitely going to be my next pocket gun), the first thing I’ll try is to load it with Buffalo Bore 180gr .38 Spl +P. I’ll report the experience here (assuming no broken fingers and strained wrists).

1. avatar ron says:

Try that Buffalo Bore .38 “Heavy+p” I actually got the same velocity from it as BB Heavy (158gr) .357 mag from my LCR. It seems the powder in the .38 heavy+p is geared more for short barrels. I got advertised velocities of over 1000 fps out of a 1.8″ barrel. I’m guessing it would be slightly less from the “view”.

1. avatar Jay in Florida says:

I don’t see a single purpose in life for that revolver???

1. avatar jwm says:

Maybe the new vagina carry gun?

1. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

How can two such wonderful things in life go so horribly together?

1. avatar TheDabbo says:

Reminds me of Talladega Nights… “Go together like cocaine and waffles…”

2. avatar int19h says:

Pocket carry. This is as light as K-T P3AT, and lighter than Ruger LCR, and nearly as compact – yet .38 (especially +P) will pack quite a bit more punch than .380 ACP. Provided you can handle the recoil…

I suppose you could classify this as a “mouse gun for real men”.

2. avatar PCnotPC says:

I won’t support anything called “The View”.

1. avatar jwm says:

This gun is ugly. But not near as ugly as “The View”.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

But Whoopie is a gun girl. That makes her beautiful in my book.

1. avatar Ing says:

Is she a gun girl compared to *actual* gun girls, or only compared to other female celebrities? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. avatar tdiinva says:

She is a life NRA member. She really is a gun girl.

3. avatar GS650G says:

Her other faults outweigh any gun interests she may have.

4. avatar Yoel Grauberg says:

Whoopi Goldberg is 100% anti “assault weapons” which makes her dubious ploy about joining the NRA meaningless. Another Dick Metcalf for all intents and purposes, except Hoopie Turdberg supports Obama 100% as well. How the hell can she be a “gun girl?” She is a liberal stooge. Get your facts straight.

5. avatar JT says:

tdiinva, Michael Moore is a NRA life member as well. It doesn’t mean much.

3. avatar Bill says:

kinda want now, but I have XL hands…

4. avatar Gunr, from Oregon says:

I can just imagine what will happen when this thing gets it internals loaded up with pocket lint!
    Ugly gun, looks like Superman got hold of it and squeezed too hard.

1. avatar Stinkeye says:

It’s not open, there’s a Lexan panel covering the guts. Lint shouldn’t be a problem (any more than for any other pocket gun).

How long before some enterprising fellow comes out with replacement panels made of other materials?

5. avatar tdiinva says:

I just don’t get this piece. Are we now saying that 12-15 oz is too heavy to carry? To me this just a novelty gun and I would rather spend the $300k on ammo.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I wish I had a $300k ammo budget!

2. avatar cogline says:

I would like to see the term they would use for $300k in ammo on the news.

1. avatar S.CROCK says:

“a military grade armory with enough ammo to battle any military force that has ever been on the planet!”

something along those lines.

3. avatar tdiinva says:

Glad I made you guys laugh — $300.

4. avatar int19h says:

In a pocket, yes, it is too heavy for summer clothing in a warm place.

6. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Something new, unfortunate for us the gun stores will be flooded with these and still no keltecs.

7. avatar Jay says:

This is incredibly stupid.
    1) it’s a Taurus

2) small grip is bad with heavy perceived recoil

3) the exposed portions will collect dirt and grime.

Who conceived this? I’d rather have a Hipoint!

1. avatar Swarf says:

I can’t really tell, but that must be a Lexan window, not just exposed parts.

Doesn’t do it for me, no matter.

2. avatar Rokurota says:

You’d rather have a Hi-Point than a Taurus? Joking, of course.

8. Do they give out awards for ugliest new product?

9. avatar supton says:

Looks like a cartoon gun in that first photo. Ugly gun, barrel is too short and the grip too small. And 38spl it’s going to hurt to shoot. Low velocity, lots of muzzle flip, lots of recoil. Would be better served in a lesser caliber, with a smaller cylinder.

10. avatar 2Wheels says:

I can’t get over that window, I think it’s just ugly.

9oz won’t do much to tame that recoil, it’ll be even less fun to shoot than lightweight J-frames.

11. avatar Phydeaux says:

I just don’t get the whole “View” thing. In photos it looks like the gun is missing a cover plate. Maybe IRL the shiny clear plastic makes it look more like it has a real cover rather than missing a part.

I’m sure many, like me, have a passing interest in the internals of a revolver. But this is no 17 jewel mechanical time piece. A “View” for dealers to show interested buyers makes sense, but if I were to spend $300 on a revolver I won’t want a plastic cover.

12. avatar Swarf says:

This can’t be a consumer product. This has got to be a widget for Taurus to show off some aspect of the internals they are proud of.

13. avatar Javier says:

8.5 ounces for a 5-shot 38spl is actually pretty boss. I might get one if I can replace the grips with something a little more substantial.

Even if it makes me look mad metro.

14. avatar Closet Gun Nut says:

Make it in .22 mag and get rid of the see-through window and I’d be interested.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

This^

15. avatar cam says:

Bigger grip !!!!!!

16. avatar jjstrider says:

I don’t care for the internal view but if the trigger is decent and shoots p.o.a then color me excited. The weight and size is intriguing to me. I bet standard pressure 38 would be mighty slow coming out of a 1″ barrel.

1. avatar int19h says:

BBTI graph doesn’t go all the way down to 1″, but if you extrapolate from their “real weapons” table, I’d expect somewhere around 700-800 FPS. Heavier bullets would probably fare better in terms of muzzle energy.

17. avatar RonO. says:

This thing is absurd. I expect the lexan window was for the show only, to display the internals, noone is dumb enough to make sideplates of a carry gun out of plexiglas. Too light, too small in the grip, +P rated(?!!), that is insane. Is it old school to be man enough, or woman enough, to handle the weight of a real steel J-frame sized snubby? That’s 22 oz. for Christ’s sake!

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

It is a real carry gun. It has been announced for a few weeks.

2. avatar int19h says:

Think pocket carry. Ever tried that with a 20+ oz snubby?

18. avatar GS650G says:

Anti’s will scream this thing is designed and marketed for children. Expect bans in the usual locations.

19. avatar rawmade says:

Did they say it was gonna be around $300?
    Its got a titanium cylinder, figured that alone would call a bit of a premium.
    As to those bashing Taurus because its a Taurus….meh
    Taurus has been flawless for me with the past 6 or 7 guns ive bought from them. (24/7 G2, Millenium G2, PT709, PT1911, Raging Judge Magnum, PT145)
    Great guns for the money IMO. I own many guns and enjoy higher end firearms but Taurus has been nothing but good for me over the years, and generally much cheaper than others

1. avatar Jack says:

I find it hard to believe that the street price will be around $300. A regular Model 85 sells for well over that now.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Yeah, but there’s demand for that one.

1. avatar rawmade says:

I dont see why there wouldnt be demand for this. Im not a fan of the window but this screams ankle carry as
          a BUG.
          With that said, i will be SHOCKED if this is $300. They wouldnt put a titanium cylinder on it.

2. avatar Closet Gun Nut says:

Your right. The Taurus website lists the MSRP at $599. So, unfortunately its not looking like $300 will be the retail price point.

20. avatar DangerD says:

I’ve actually been following this revolver for some time now. I’m going to purchase this revolver for my sister, and she’s really excited about it. Here’s a video of it actually being fired:

I will buy one as soon as I can find one around its suggested MSRP.

21. avatar rawmade says:

I can do without the see thru side, but im probably gonna pick one up for a BUG for ankle carry. 9oz, ttitanium parts, teeny tiny grip to make ankle carry a breeze? Yes please!

22. avatar "lee n. field" says:

This has got to be a joke on Taurus’ part, right?

23. avatar fsilber says:

If they wanted a smaller revolver they should have chambered it for the shorter but more powerful 9mmP — or even the comparably powered .380acp. Then the cylinder could have been made significantly shorter.