Cannon Dual-Access EMP Lock: For When The Grid Goes Dark

Image: Chris Dumm For TTAG

If you’re worried about an EMP taking out the grid and taking down all of your electronics at the same time, you probably don’t have a quick-access electronic lock on your gun safe. Which means your gun safe is pretty slow to access, and pretty much impossible to open in the dark. If that description fits you, Cannon Safe Company might have just what you need . . .

Their Commander, Cannon, and Armory safe lines are now offered with their unique dual access EMP lock. As the picture shows, it combines the speedy tactile opening of an electronic lock with the EMP- and flood-proof reliability of a mechanical combination lock.

Image courtesy Cannon Safe Company

I’m planning to replace the electronic lock on my gun safe with a mechanical lock, and these combo combination locks look like the bee’s knees. Sadly for me, Cannon isn’t offering this lock as a retrofit for safes from other manufacturers; it’s currently available only as OEM on most Cannon safes.

13 Responses to Cannon Dual-Access EMP Lock: For When The Grid Goes Dark

1. avatarJake says:

Awesome! Not just for EMP but using those pads a lot were them down and make your numbers obvious. However of you could use the dial most of the time and the key pad only in emergencies you have the best of both.

2. avatarRalph says:

For ease of access, electronic locks are the ticket. They’re much faster than mechanical, rotary dial locks. Unfortunately, “ease of access” goes both ways — electronic locks won’t always work and may be easier to defeat. Since I home carry, security and reliability are more important than instant access to stored guns.

While I prefer mechanical locks, individual needs differ. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to secure gun storage.

3. avatarmichael nieto says:

it is unlikely that an orbital EMP detonation would have sufficient power to destroy an electronic lock inside a safe or penetrate any electronics shielded by metal or concrete it would take a very powerful detonation to even have a noticeable effect on our grid.

4. avatarJames R says:

I have a push-button mechanical simplex lock on my pistol safe. Best of both worlds.

• avatarRik says:

Simplex locks aren’t much of a challenge. Older models can be defeated with a strong magnet.

• avatarJT says:

And pretty much any pistol safe can be defeated with a pry bar, which is a lot easier to get than a neodymium magnet. Your point?

5. avatarjimmyjames says:

My S&G lock on my 20 year old Liberty GS is already EMP proof. As is the electronic keypad lock on my Stack on Day Safe (tubular key lock underneath). Nothing new under the sun here. Just pure marketing.

6. avatarDyspeptic Gunsmith says:

I have one safe with a mechanical lock, and one with an electronic lock.

I will never again have a safe with an electronic lock.

7. avatarDan says:

fwiw, amsec is now offering a “Lock Duo” option. they are using the lagard dual redundant lock (traditional dial, with additional electronic keypad). so you have the best of both worlds.

even better, they are offering it as a retrofit kit for amsec safes.

8. avatarJLR84 says:

I’m actually in the reverse situation. I bought a safe with a combination lock because it was cheaper than the ones with an electronic lock, and now I never lock the thing because I’d forgotten from my high-school days that I freaking hate combination locks. It’s basically a heavy, glorified storage locker.

At some point I plan on replacing the thing with an electronic keypad. Though to be fair a “hybrid” solution does sound nice, but if I had to pick between the two I’m going keypad.