Daily Digest: Veg-O-Matic Edition

David Gregory with the offending magazine (courtesy seattlepi.com)
In yet another example of gun laws that will only trip up the lawful, Washington, D.C. is requiring all gun owners in the District (link contains auto-play video) to re-register their firearms with the police within 90 days, starting January 1. Letters will start going out soon to anyone who registered a firearm in the District between 1976 and 2010. The re-registration will require a trip, in person, to the police station, and will be good for three years, at which point the registration will have to be renewed (but hey, at least that one can be done online or by mail). Anyone who fails to re-register can be cited for possession of an unregistered firearm, and…

could face a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to 1 year in jail. Remember, folks, these would be people who already obeyed the law once by registering, but now would be made criminal by failing to do so again. Meanwhile, criminals and prohibited persons still cannot be legally required to register their guns. Dick Heller has apparently filed suit to challenge the new requirement. [h/t Pascal]

A three-year-old girl was injured in a shootout in the Avondale neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio at about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. Two men fired “at least 10 bullets” at each other, one of which struck little L’eah Johnson in the buttocks and exited through her abdomen. SWAT was called in, and six people voluntarily surrendered themselves into custody after a brief standoff. As of late Tuesday, the toddler was in critical care at the hospital, though police do not believe her injuries are life-threatening. Unfortunately, she’ll still have to spend the rest of her life correcting the spelling of her name to everyone she meets.

The West [by God] Virginia Citizens Defense League filed an injunction request on Tuesday seeking to force the city of Charleston to do away with a waiting period and limit on handgun purchases and allow the carry of firearms on city property. Earlier this year, the WV Legislature approved a preemption law in the interests of uniformity, taking the regulation of guns away from individual cities. The Charleston city ordinances would lose effect under the preemption law, though under the law, Charleston could keep its firearms laws by opting out of the Home Rule Program, which allows cities the power to enact their own taxes and pass other local regulations. Charleston recently passed a half-cent sales tax that’s allowed under Home Rule, which Citizens Defense League lawyers argue means that the city intends to remain on Home Rule, and should therefore be forced to abandon their city gun ordinances.

Today’s Lockdown of the Day™ is brought to you from the Alexander School System in Albany, Ohio. The 90-minute lockdown was implemented on Friday following the discovery of a magazine from a 9mm handgun in a 10th-grade student’s locker. The magazine contained “three or four rounds” of ammunition. No weapon was found, and an interview of the student and his family indicated that the gun to which the magazine belonged had been sold years before.

Do you know what dish you’re taking to your holiday dinner yet? If not, mattv2099 would like to suggest some Austrian Fruit Salad. It tastes like freedom!

I’d leave out the kiwi.

comments

1. avatar Dave says:

Any TTAG readers in DC that don’t feel like re-registering their guns can bring them to my gun safe. I promise they are going to a good and loving home. I’ll even send yearly updates on what they’ve been up to. I’m right across the Potomac in gun friendly (at least for now) Virginia.

1. avatar John F says:

Zig Heil Mein Fuerer, 1st Registration, Then Confiscation,,
      We can go house to house Just like in High Water Canada…

1. avatar Thomas Paine says:

come down to the station. we just want to talk. 10 years hard labor in the Gulag. Seriously. this is Fucked UP. You think all the hoods are going to run down and re-register? They never registered in the first place.

2. avatar Paul B says:

Damn that boat. Took my guns out fishing and they slipped overboard. You know guns just don’t float even if they have wood furniture?

Oh, the horror.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Wow! All those formerly legal guns in the Potomac. Amazing…

3. avatar Cold Frog says:

You should also include a picture and a handwritten note from the gun thanking them.

1. avatar Dave says:

I’ll even allow annual visitation. I’m just saying if someone is facing confiscation there is another option; their guns can live a free and happy life.

2. avatar ensitue says:

Same Sh*t
    Different Day

3. avatar Dan says:

That crack about the girl’s name wasn’t in the best taste.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

I’m comfortable with that. Saddling a child with an uncommon spelling of a common name is damn near child abuse, in my opinion.

1. avatar PNG says:

Fully agreed. Stupid names are stupid.

2. avatar Cknarf says:

Ashley is now ‘Ashleighghghg’

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Don’t forget – the 6 is silent!

3. avatar Don says:

L’eah? What the hell is that? Klingon?

1. avatar chuck (hates nj) says:

Seriously why add the apostrophe in there? Does the L stand for length in feat eah?

2. avatar Alaskan Patriot says:

I do believe the intended pronunciation is something along the lines of “Aleeya.” “Aleighya”? “Uhhleya”?

Who the hell knows with these people.

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

At about 1:35 in the video at the link above, the next door neighbor identifies her as “Leah,” conventional pronunciation.

By the way, I hadn’t watched it before, but check out that video for some of the most stellar reporting and camera work I’ve ever seen. I can’t decide if the reporter was high, or just so cold that her brain was running at half speed.

4. avatar PeterC says:

It’s pronounced Le-dash-eah. The dash do not be silent.

5. avatar Scott D. says:

“My name’s Brian. B-R-I-V-O-L-7-Q… It’s very hard to pronounce, correctly.”

2. avatar Roy says:

The phrase “adding insult to injury” springs to mind.

3. avatar Hasdrubal says:

I doubt they would have made the joke if her survival was still in doubt. Since it sounds like she’ll make it, I say fair game.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Yeah, if she had died or been “expectant” then it’s not like I would have said, “Well, at least she doesn’t have to worry…”

4. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

Oh I’m on board with it. Moreover, let a hundred flowers bloom, I say, and let’s get all multicultural up in here. It’s time we add some diversity to the naming of major storms. Forget about a black president, we won’t enter post-racial America until we start seeing Hurricane Laquisha or Tropical Storm Anfernee come ashore.

4. avatar John Sager says:

Can’t believe he actually ate that…

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Wouldn’t you want to know what freedom tastes like?

1. avatar Vhyrus says:

Apparently it tastes like lead powder and curdled cream.

5. avatar John Sager says:

I guess freedom tastes like some combination of lead, carbon, kiwi, and pink drink…

1. avatar WI Dave says:

I love me some Austrian fruit salad! Nothing like some scorched kiwi in the morning.

6. avatar peirsonb says:

You know, over the last couple of days this site is making me feel better and better about moving to OH….

7. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Unfreeking believable. DC has gone past full retard.
    Going to see if Mr. Heller has any kind of fund set up or if his attorney is pro bono.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Yep, Congress’ little plantation on the Potomac. It’s the Feds’ model for the rest of the country. Enjoy…

8. avatar H.R. says:

If the guns in D.C. were registered once, why do they need to be registered again?

1. avatar Jeremy S says:

Because it’s a re-registration requirement. You cannot re-register unless you have previously registered. It’s like being late once makes you tardy, and being late subsequent times makes you retardy.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

Because it’s DC. Nothing can ever be easy.

9. avatar Jeremy S says:

“an interview of the student and his family indicated that the gun to which the magazine belonged had been sold years before”

Sounds a lot like “lost in a tragic boating accident”…

1. avatar C says:

Like i told the stoners when my high school brought in the drug dogs. Always keep your contraband on your person. They check lockers and cars, not pockets…yet.

1. avatar Todd S says:

We can check pockets with “reasonable suspicion,” a far less restrictive measurement than the police have to follow.

10. avatar LongBeach says:

Half-cent tax. Why not just say we’re gonna tax you a penny? Instead, its “hey f*ck you, you’re stupid and you won’t complain about it if its less than a penny when really it’s a penny cuz nobody carries around half pennies you stupid d*ckhead”. What a bag of d*cks. Literally, a satchel sewn for the sole purpose of containing multiple d*cks. They are d*ckbags.

1. avatar Todd S says:

Are the d*cks all mashed together like assorted chicken parts, or are they sticking out the top like baguettes?

(h/t to Louis CK)

2. avatar DonS says:

Yeah, if it’s a half-cent sales tax on every purchase, no matter what the purchase price, then that’s pretty stupid.

On the other hand, if it’s a 0.5 percent sales tax on the purchase price, then it works out just as well as any other tax rate.

11. avatar A samurai says:

So THAT’s what those Ka-Bar pistol bayonets are for! I have been wondering for so long now. Now it all makes sense.

12. avatar Jay W. says:

So what is DC’s “common sense” explanation for this action?

1. avatar Dave says:

“Because we said so.”

13. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

So, all DC (legal) gun owners are going to have to re-reregister, all 27 of them?

14. avatar jimmyjames says:

I thought there was no gun registration in this country? This isn’t Russia is it Danny?

15. avatar Justin_GA says:

Who cares if people register. The government doesn’t care if people don’t abide by the law. I learned this first hand last week. I recently called the ATF’s NFA branch to report a gun dealer selling NFA items without a SOT(Selling NFA items illegally) and they refereed me to a Atlanta office, which referred me to another office in Portland, OR to only have them say ok when we have time we will look in to it. I got the very distinct impresson they could “care less”. I even had to explain to the ATF agent on the phone what a NFA or Title II weapon was. It would seem like they only are taught about Title I firearms. I even gave them video and paperwork evidence that the FFL knowingly lied on federal documents. He even admitted he knew he was filling out false documents to see if they (ATF) would no catch it. This ticks me off because when 07 FFL dealer is selling the NFA items it’s illegal and makes the whole FFL community look bad. Maybe he gets caught someday and we know the media is going to make huge deal of NFA items. “Why wasn’t he caught, why wasn’t he blah blah blah” We need more control ect. He even has a Facebook page showing him shooting full auto post 86 machine guns. It would seem that it’s a waste of time to report criminals to the ATF and FBI. It was a real wake up call to me. Now I know why media breaks the law. They know that no one cares. It seems only when someone high up in government makes noise do they care. I won’t be calling them again to report illegal firearm activity if they are going to make me jump through hoops. It sucks for us who follow the laws.

16. avatar Mark says:

THIS is why one should never purchase a firearm from a dealer, only in a face to face transaction.

17. avatar Jus Bill says:

Another amazing DC revelation:
    DC homicides up this year, even without Navy Yard

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of homicides is up this year in the District of Columbia, even excluding the 12 victims of the Washington Navy Yard rampage in September…

18. avatar Shawn says:

I thought that magazine was illegal. Did anyone call the police on him?

19. avatar racer88 says:

RE-register? Did the “authorities”…. ummm… LOSE the original registrations?