Question of the Day: Is Camo the new Zombie Craze?

051751114928lg

So, I was walking through my local Lowes today and saw that one of the Black Friday sales items was a Werner 5′ stepladder featuring a Realtree camouflage. Really? What is the possible point here? I seriously doubt that anyone is going to lug this thing out to their tree stand. Is this directed at the hardcore SHTF prepper who plans to use it to take out the black helicopter teams when they finally come for him? I’ve seen the Realtree camouflage pattern appearing on all kinds of things lately, so it’s left me wondering, is this the color scheme to replace the Zombie craze that has now thankfully died out? I guess we’ll know for sure when we see a Realtree camouflage pistol bayonet…

comments

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Brad Paisley’s Camouflage

You can blend in in the country
    You can stand out in the fashion world
    Be invisible to a whitetail
    Or irresistible to a redneck girl

Well the stars and bars offend some folks and I guess I see why
    Nowadays there’s still a way to show your Southern pride
    The only thing as patriotic as the ol’ Red White & Blue
    Is green and gray and black and brown and tan all over too

Camouflage!

1. avatar Michael B. says:

Pop country is terrible.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Brad Paisley is the real deal. His music runs from one end of the spectrum to the other.

1. avatar Michael B. says:

You and I have different tastes, then. I’m not a huge country fan but when I do listen to country I prefer listening to Hank, Cash, Waylon, David Allan Coe, etc.

Newer stuff I like is Hank III and, for laughs, Unknown Hinson.

2. avatar Stinkeye says:

Yep, full spectrum: from merely awful all the way to atrocious.

3. avatar Matt in FL says:

This is me not taking the bait. Music is as subjective a topic as .45 vs 9mm (although .40 is clearly superior) or Ginger vs. Mary Ann (Mary Ann).

4. avatar jwm says:

Ginger and Mary Ann. I;m a naughty boy.

5. avatar Hannibal says:

Yeah, in that men like .45 / Johnny Cash while the fairer gender likes 9mm and Brad Paisley (even the name!). I’m not going to talk about who likes .40.

Wait, trolling is still allowed here, right?

6. avatar Matt in FL says:

When it’s invited, I see no problem with it.

Carrying a .40 is like wearing a pink shirt. I’m secure enough to not care what the little people think.

It’s like a female bartender once told me, “If you’re worried about how drinking a pink drink makes you look, the drink isn’t the problem.”

2. avatar Leadbelly says:

Country music has been on a downward path since Jimmie Rodgers (the singing brakeman) died and the original Carter Family broke up. Mother Maybelle carried the fire for most of the twentieth century until her sad passing. I still play the old songs, and so do some of my friends. If you love true old time country, google up KDHX radio here in St. Louis. You can listen live over the Internet or replay archived shows. In addition to old-time country they have shows featuring everything from Chicago blues to Cajun and Zydeco to Ska and Reggae.
        About ten years or so ago they briefly had a show featuring lesbian bluegrass bands! A truly unique radio station.

3. avatar peirsonb says:

I would sugest listening to an artists albums before passing judgment. The stuff that makes it on the radio is judged to be “suitable for the masses.” There are some absolutely beautiful pieces by artists I can’t otherwise stand (from every genre) that never get airplay.

As far as the actual article goes, it’s my WIFE that seems to think everything she buys me needs to be camo. I’ve always been a fan of black, not for any tacticool reason but because it’s pretty universal. The first time I went duck hunting I wore black because I didn’t own any camo….as long as there aren’t big streaks of white the birds don’t care.

Also, putting Hank and Hank III in the same sentence is considered hanging offense in some parts of the country….

@Matt – .45 OR NOTHING!!!1one

2. avatar Deft says:

At least with the zombie stuff you would never loose it.

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

I very briefly owned a lockback knife with camo scales. Good camouflage. I lost first time I set it down outside.

1. avatar GoldiGlocks says:

I haved served in the Marines for 18 years. I am of the opinion that all pocket knife handles and small flashlights should be ‘blaze orange’ or some other bright color. If the enemy is close enough to see the tip of your knife handle protruding from the inside of your pocket…you have much bigger problems.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

That, sir, is an excellent observation.

2. avatar Swarf says:

Yup. Bought my Morakniv in blaze orange for exactly that reason. The last thing I want to be hard to find at my campsite is my knife, and the last thing I want to forget to pack is also my knife.

3. avatar KeithF says:

I find Realtree camo rather aesthetically pleasing. I would probably pick something like this up if it struck my fancy. Just like some of the colors on firearms, the point isn’t what is the point? The point is ‘just because’ or ‘why not?’ Practically speaking nothing gained functionally but if you want the look, it’s yours.

4. avatar LongBeach says:

I am the proud owner of a RealTree camouflage blanket, with mustaches on the reverse side. Outside of that ridiculousness, I try to limit my camouflage accessories to underpants and knee socks.

1. avatar ShaunL says:

Then how do you find your balls and feet?

1. avatar chuck (hates nj) says:

That explains a lot of the ball scratching.

2. avatar Leadbelly says:

I can beat that. I’ve got a pair of socks with the eruption of Mt. St. Helens embroidered on them.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

That would work much better as an underwear pattern, methinks.

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

You should be in marketing.

5. avatar Lars says:

These camo ladders have been around for years. I painted a plain jane ladder a custom woodlands camo back in the early 90s when I still deer hunted. Some hunters use ladders to get on and off their homemade deer stands such as I did for about 6 years. So there is one use. But I imagine the camo thing is just a typical trend. From seat covers to clothing to my 6 piece camo fishing rod. Camo is in.

1. avatar wade says:

This.
      Jim, around here (Texas) there are cattle fences everywhere, and one generally has to cross at least a few just to get to the other side of one’s own property. Plenty of hunters, especially the older ones, have ladders like these strategically planted over their fences to make crossing easier. As for the camo, they’re usually spray painted some dull color so as not to be an eyesore.

No burgeoning fad here people, keep calm and carry on.

6. avatar DisThunder says:

Everbody knows zombies can see right through camo.

7. avatar Jay says:

I’m waiting for RealTree condoms.

1. avatar Shire-man says:

They’ll never see you coming.

1. avatar Kelly in GA says:

She-bang! Or he-bang. Or whatever.

2. avatar Martin says:

That pun was so bad I got weird looks for my sudden random laughter

2. avatar dwb says:

Zombie condoms are better: no matter how many times you come, you’ll keep on coming.

1. avatar Bob Wall says:

Until someone chops off it’s little head… Right Lorena Bobbit?

1. avatar chuck (hates nj) says:

Oddly enough I remember seeing them at south of the border back in I think 1995 on our way to florida. But they were just a clear/tan color not actual camo.

8. avatar SH says:

*cough* Duck Dynasty *cough*

1. avatar Paul G. says:

My thoughts exactly….but that needs to be “flying ducks” cammo pattern. I am kinda partial to the “bimbo silhouette” pattern that reminds me of truck mudflaps.

9. avatar Pete says:

Zombie craze will never die out. Also: How is this in any way at all new?

1. avatar ShaunL says:

The Zombie craze will eventually die out… the problem is that it will come back from the dead and be harder to kill.

1. avatar ToddR says:

I hope that if this happens I’m hang’n with Ving Rhames and his trusty 12 ga.

2. avatar Pardueski says:

I for one, love the zombies in media but I have to say that I have never once spent my money on something as ridiculous looking as the neon green Remington 887 Zombie Edition. Walking Dead? Yes please. Zombie movies/books/etc? All day. Zombie themed apparel/equipment/etc? Not for this guy.

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

I bought a zombie green laser for my LCP. Midway had one left at half off. For half off, I don’t care if it’s pink and says “Hello Kitty” on the side. It’s a CONCEALED weapon. Any stranger that see’s it ain’t gonna’ be laughin’, anyhow.

10. avatar juliesa says:

I like the look of Game Guard camo, which is a South Texas brush country camo. Leaving a Spurs game once I saw a limousine completely covered in Game Guard, and the driver was attired in the same fashion.

Btw, I’m offended that my computer’s autocorrect doesn’t recognize camo as a word.

11. avatar Rokurota says:

Marketing: giving people a new reason to buy crap they already have.

12. avatar Joel says:

No more zombie craze? Awwwww crap! I’d better get busy and use up all those zombie pistol targets my daughter bought me for father’s day.

1. avatar Jesus says:

I love those targets

13. avatar jwm says:

We have 2 back to back posts on TTAG concerning camo. So it’s probably the new zombie.

14. avatar Schizuki says:

Camo clothing = Redneck Zubaz.

15. avatar Jim says:

I work in new products, and the answer to this is actually bonehead simple. We coat products with camo finishes because people buy more when you do. We’d actually prefer not to do it because the processing and the royalties are costly. However, it opens up your products to more customers who might not buy them otherwise, so you will continue to see a proliferation of products in camo. Camo has become “fashion” more than function these days, so don’t b e surprised by products that have no earthly need to be camo coated.

Bloomingdale’s sells camo fashion for chic women. Bloomingdale’s! Camo chic! This is a sign that the apocalypse is near, just not near enough.

17. avatar g says:

Tiger stripe camo is all the rage these days.

18. avatar Stinkeye says:

I suspect that a lot of the unnecessary camo-plastered products are actually bought as gifts. Don’t know what to get for that hunter in your life? Just get some cheap Chinese garbage with camo on it. It’s the gift that truly says, “I know you like hunting, and that’s all I really know about you, so here. Good luck finding this camo flashlight when you drop it in the woods.”

1. avatar jwm says:

Re-gift that shit.

19. avatar Jesus says:

The only way to kill a zombie is by destroying the brain… You’ve only taken their legs.

20. avatar Arod529 says:

It is for the swat team.

21. avatar William Burke says:

No, zombies are the new camo craze.

1. avatar Leadbelly says:

What happens when the zombies start wearing camo?

1. avatar Heathen says:

They dress in ghillie suits…!

22. avatar Roger says:

I’m so sick of all this woodland camo sh*t. You go into Bass Pro, Cabelas or Sportsman’s Warehouse and it’s wall to wall with the stuff.