S&W Model 929 8-Shot Revolver Tells NY SAFE Act To FOAD

There are two definitions of legally diminished capacity in New York State. The first applies to the state’s ammunition magazines, now limited to ten rounds (of which you can only load seven…) The second definition applies to people so stupid or whacked-out on drugs that they can’t be held legally responsible for their own actions. The governor and most of the state assembly fall into this category. Smith & Wesson’s new Model 929 is an eight-shot revolver based on the N-Frame Mode 29. Loading it up with eight rounds of 115-grain jacketed hollow points, it’s a wonderful way for a New Yorker to defend his home, skirt the retarded provisions of the SAFE Act and send a big FU to the ass-clowns who passed it…all at the same time. If only that barrel were a little shorter…

This isn’t the world’s first ‘high-capacity’ revolver, but it’s one of the more powerful. S&W has sold the seven-shot Model 687 for years but that fine firearm fails to flip the middle finger to Governor Cuomo and his minions in Albany quite as well as the Model 929 does. Prior to the late 1990s, most other ‘assault revolvers’ (perish the thought!) resemble this nine-shot Harrington & Richardson .22, which also happens to be called the Model 929.

It’s odd that a $1,500 Performance Center revolver with a titanium cylinder would share the same model name as a fifty year-old rimfire clunker. Then again, I’m pretty sure that H&R never sold any Jerry Miculek special editions.

comments

1. avatar S.CROCK says:

are the ruger lcr and sp101 in 22lr not ny compliant?

2. avatar Javier says:

Unfortunately, it’s an 8-shot revolver. And carrying 8 rounds is already legal if you have 7 in the magazine and one in the pipe. So I don’t see Cuomo getting his panties in a bunch about it, as wonderful as that’d be.

1. avatar teebonicus says:

Yeah. And it’s “Government Cuomo”, not “Governor Cuomo”.

Ya KNOW wut Ah MEANS…?

3. avatar El Mac says:

So is it 8 shot or 9? Dude on the video clearly says “8 shot”…..

1. avatar Keith in TX says:

Pause the video, only 8 chambers in the cylinder.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

Word. If you managed to load it with 9, you would have a truly eventful shooting experience.

2. avatar Alan Rose says:

The 9th round goes in the barrel.
        JUST KIDDING!

1. avatar ChuckN says:

Kidding aside, I wonder if we could actually get a the
          NYT or other tabloid to actually print that you can put
          a bullet in the barrel?

2. avatar Keith in TX says:

An 8 +1, 8 in the cylinder and 1 in the chamber. 🙂

4. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Chris,
    Might want to change the headline from 9 shot to 8 shot.
    Wonder if they’ll make this in .38 or .357 mag?

1. avatar PPGMD says:

They already make 8 shot 38/357 wheel guns. The 627 and 327 to name two of them.

1. avatar Matt says:

Yes, the S&W Night Guard series. Model 327NG .357 Magnum/ .38+P w/ Trijicon sight and trigger lock. Lightweight and accurate!

2. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Text amended.

Brainfart. I just lit a match.

5. avatar TX says:

S&W TRR8 (or R8). .357 Mag, 8 rnds. Done.

1. avatar Sixpack70 says:

I really like this revolver. It’s the price that’s hard to swallow.

2. avatar John L. says:

Got one of the R8 models.

Fantastic balance, lots of fun to shoot, precut for moon clips and comes with two of them. And – bonus! – you can fit a bayonette on the picatinny rail!

I wonder, though, if loading an 8-round moon clip with 8 rounds violates the SAFE act.

1. avatar JIM D says:

I’m pretty sure revolvers. Are exempt from stupids idea. (Unsafe act) semi autos and guns with a clip or magazine or some other scary look to them are effected.

6. avatar FortWorthColtGuy says:

OMG!!! Now they have to call an emergency joint session of the NY legislature, have someone scribble down on a napkin the bill to ban this revolver. Not send it to committee, no one read it, not allow public input, pass by a voice vote only, run down to the governors’s mansion so Cuomo can sign it minutes later and say in a shrill Howard Dean voice…. “No one NEEDS 9 shots to kill a DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!”

It is for the kids!!!!!! HURRY!!!!

7. avatar ErrantVenture11 says:

Solution: Square bullets and cartridges. Then you’re not loading rounds anymore 🙂

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

Let’s not go there. Let’s just say that some ideas need to be tried once… and only once.

1. avatar H.R. says:

There was a company called Dardick back in the day that chambered a gun with triangular cartridges. They called the ammo trounds.

2. avatar Sam Spade says:

James Puckle’s machine gun (1718) was designed to shoot square bullets, but only for “Turks and other infidels.” Round balls were loaded for Christians.

1. avatar Sam Spade says:

If you’re interested in more about the Puckle gun, Maxim (of Maxim machine gun fame) published a review of it in the 1896 Scientific American:

3. avatar John L. says:

But you can only use the square bullets against Muslims … Or so said Puckles.

4. avatar Jason Lynch says:

The old Puckle gun, an attempt at a flintlock revolver that was intended to shoot round bullets at Christians and square bullets at infidels…

Damn, beaten to it 🙂

8. avatar Cyrano says:

I remember SW had a 10 shot revolver too, 617, though its a 22LR. The Model 327 is an 8 shot. I can’t find a 929.

9. avatar T says:

I got the ad slogan.
    SMITH AND WESSON 929
    THE MIDDLE FINGER THAT PROTECTS

10. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

I like it. There are some revolver rifles out there, but I don’t know of any with 8 or 9 capacity. That might be cool, too.

Question, though: if you have to avoid the cylinder gap with a revolver handgun, lest the explosive gases take a finger off, then how does one support the fore end of a revolver rifle without exposing your left arm to those same gases? There’d be more space, so maybe the gases disperse soon enough before injuring the arm? I read once that arm injury was a reason why revolver rifles supposedly never really caught on. Think I recall seeing some arm protectors designed for this purpose, too.

1. avatar Drew says:

There is a metal shield on the revolver long guns out there.

1. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

That sounds cool, redirecting the gas with a built-in shield. It’d be nice to have a long gun, same-caliber, complement to my revolver. Good to know I wouldn’t have to adopt some special grip or stance for it. Thanks for the tip.

1. avatar John L. says:

Henry or Rossi lever gun? I love my Rossi in .38 SPL/.357 magnum.

2. avatar Jonathan -- Houston says:

That could work. Those are the calibers I had in mind, too. I recall Ruger coming out with a 5+1 bolt action in .357 maybe a couple of years ago; but never really heard too much about it thereafter. One or two here mentioned it as a good truck gun not too long ago, though; but I haven’t read a complete review of it.

2. avatar jwm says:

The first revolver rifles were cap and ball. As with cap and ball revolvers there existed the possibility of a chain fire. Picture your support arm in front of the cylinder with your hand gripping the forearm when a chain fire launching 5-6 lead bullets out the front of the chambers.

Maybe the possibility of a chain fire is over played and rarely occurred. But would you risk that?

1. avatar Kaliope says:

Not overplayed, no. That’s actually why revolving carbines never really took off. By the time we had better sealed metallic cartridges, we already had lever-actions which offered the advantage of capacity and ease of topping off the magazine (Just load however many you fired, instead of pulling it back to half-cock, opening the loading gate, ejecting the spent shells and loading fresh ones).

11. avatar KCK says:

Is a cylinder a magazine?
    Does NY law only look at semi auto mags?
    What about the old pepper box design.
    Is each barrel a gun (NY reload to the max) or a part of a cylinder magazine which has the limit.

Wouldn’t want to be in jail on a technicality, especially when they are supposed to get you out of jail.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

All that’s needed here is a lesson on revolver design.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Remington Model (of) 1858 Cap-n-ball revolver. Pull the base pin, swap in another loaded cylinder, close ‘er up and you’re ready to go again.

In other words, the revolver world has “been there, done that” with “cylinders as a magazine” idea.

1. avatar RAE says:

Outlaw Jesse Wales used one!

1. avatar Keith in TX says:

And so did Angel Eyes.

Love that gun, the only revolver I own.

2. avatar Kaliope says:

A Model 1858 was also used by Eastwood in “Pale Rider”, and actually had a cylinder-changeout scene. It’s reported that it only took twelve seconds to change cylinders, which was faster than greased lightning compared to other reload processes (excluding the New York Reload)

12. avatar lowhouse5 says:

Sorry but that small cylinder in such a big frame opening is ugly as sin.

1. avatar Dyspeptic Gunsmith says:

True, but there’s no shortage of that type of mod on large-frame revolvers with custom cylinders for shorter target-velocity rounds.

13. avatar Roscoe says:

Of note:

Light weight with 4 inch barrel has one heck of a kick even with N frame.

Titanium cylinder discolors from the heat so it always appears to be ‘dirty’.

14. avatar jwm says:

You have to be careful cleaning titanium. Or at least the instructions for my Smith 242 said so.

Give this gun a 3 inch barrel, stainless cylinder, fixed sights and a 700 price range and I’d be interested.

15. avatar insertjjs says:

lefaucheux revolver
    20 shot revolver

16. avatar Hannibal says:

You can already carry 8 rounds in NY as long as only 7 are in the magazine, so… not so great.

That said, because of the moronic Safe Act, this is how you have to do it to be legal: Load 7 rounds in magazine, insert in mag well, chamber one round. Remove magazine, load 1 more round to make 7, re-insert mag.

Because if you have 8 rounds in the magazine at any time (better count carefully!) you’re committing a crime or, at the least, a ‘violation’ in the confines of your own home.

17. avatar Dave the dude says:

Hey Chris – one man’s “clunker” can be another’s treasure. I bought a (very used) H&R 929 (longer barrel though) as soon as I was legal age. Plinked with it for years. Never gave me a single problem. I wish I still had it.

Keep up the excellent journalism.

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

I have a lot of affection for H&R .22 revolvers, and I didn’t mean to trash it. An H&R 686 was my first handgun (I still feel like an idiot for selling it 18 years ago) and the H&R break-opens were wonderful backwoods guns. The H&R Model 929 was a bit…ugly, though?

18. avatar Michael B. says:

Barrel’s too long and it’s ported. A ported barrel on a giant steel 9mm revolver? Really?

C’mon S&W, get it together.

19. avatar RockOnHellChild says:

You know, the addition of the SAFE Act gives the NY Reload all new context.

Might as well carry two guns in NY state because you’re only allowed to have 7 rounds anyways.

20. avatar NDS says:

A S&W 327 is my “pajama gun”. 8 shots of 357, light enough to keep in your shorts pocket. Kinda bulky but meh, keeps me from having to wear a holster around the house. Most days see 12+ hours of holstered auto carry anyways.

21. avatar SteveInCO says:

You can buy belt-fed AR-15s in Colorado. They are expensive as hell (and need a .308 option) but are an excellent way to give the finger to mag restrictions.

22. avatar Big E says:

Taurus makes the 8 shot Model 608. I KNOW- it’s a Taurus, but it does offer a 4″ barrel and is less than half the cost of the Smith.

23. avatar Dustin Eward says:

I’ve been told that this language is inappropriate. I’m glad that the people who told me that were wrong. :-p

Ass clowns, indeed! FOAD!

24. avatar Tominator says:

Dammit! Going to have to do a remake of Dirty Harry!

“…Now in all this excitement I lost count. Did I shoot all 6….or 7….or 8? Well do you feel lucky punk?”

Punk retrieves calculator…..

25. avatar Bob says:

Makes sense to me. With USPSA allowing 8 shot minor, a moon clip’d 9mm from the factory is much easier than taking a .38/.357 revo and cutting it for moon clips and then modifying the .38 cases to short or mid colt (my understanding is moons work much better with the shorter rounds vs stock .38 cases which supposedly work better with speedloaders).

I think the port is there for an easy conversion to Open class, assuming it can take 9mm major loads. My understanding is the port is not likely to work as well with the 9mm minor loading, but it’s there, so you have the option.

Still I think it might be a little too pricey, since you can shoot 6 shot major with the S&W 625, and still play the game for less $$ initially. However, there is a lot of debate on the competition forums about 8 shot minor vs 6 shot major, and will the major power factor scoring bonus overcome the extra 2 shots of the 8 shot minor guns.

I think this is going to sell out pretty quick. Hopefully they make a bunch.

26. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Now that a federal judge has just thrown out NY’s 7-shot mag restriction, all of this is largely academic. If I’d only waited a day to write this, the whole discussion would have been about “why in HELL would you want a 9mm revolver?”

I’m personally waiting for a mega-cylinder revolver with superposed barrels and two concentric rings of chambers. Nine shots of .45 ACP on the outer ring with five or six backup rounds of 9mm in the inner ring.

Of course it would need a self-selecting firing pin and two different ratchet/pawl mechanisms, and the cylinder would be the diameter of a Pepsi can, but it would be like carrying a 1911 *and* a J-frame backup gun at the same time. And it wouldn’t be any stupider than that double-barreled 1911.

27. avatar William D Tipton says:

I am so glad i moved out of commie N.Y. in 2008.