Crowd-Funded Oakland Gun Buyback Falls Pitifully Short, Needs Public Bailout.

Gun buybacks are sad affairs for most people. They’re sad for the bored police officers who have to staff them, unless they get to cherry-pick the guns they want to keep for themselves, and they’re sad for deluded utopians who have convinced themselves that melting down replica 2-band muskets will prevent gang-bangers from killing each other on Oakland’s mean streets. Now a Bay Area anti-gun group is the latest to join the pity party, because their crowdfunding outreach hasn’t even raised half they money they need for a December 14th buyback in San Jose . . .

‘Gunbygun’ launched a gun buyback crowdfunding campaign with the goal of raising $10,000 by December 10th. But according to the San Jose Mercury News, the group had raised less than $4,400 from its shallow pool of even shallower-pocketed do-gooders. Gunbygun has seen declining donations since boasting to Al Jazeera America that it raised more than $14,500 for its first buyback in August.

Opportunistic politicians don’t mind sad gun buybacks, though: the Santa Clara County DA’s office is planning to throw public money down the toilet to bail out ‘Gunbygun’ to the tune of $10,000. The only other people who seem to enjoy gun buybacks are the shrewd gun guys who know that buybacks are the only place to sell a rusted J.C. Higgins bolt-action for $100, or the gun guys who stand outside the buyback (where allowed by law) rescuing unwanted guns at bargain prices.

comments

1. avatar Ben says:

Freaking muzzle-loaders?!?

Edit: you know…now that I think about it, I’d probably pay a little bit to watch thugs and crack-heads go at each other with those!

1. avatar William Burke says:

ASSAULT flintlocks!

1. avatar 505markf says:

I’d be happy to contribute funds to arm the muskets with bayonets.

2. avatar Defens says:

Don’t those have the frizzen thing that goes up?

1. avatar peirsonb says:

I think you’re thinking matchlock. We’re talking about flintlock. No one is coming for your matchlock. If you like your matchlock you can keep your matchlock. Period.

2. avatar John L. says:

Ba-WHOOSH! And then – ta-da! – you can use it like a club!

Wow! Two assault modalities from the same weapon!

2. avatar gs650g says:

How abour slingshots and blowguns?

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Only in NJ. Rocks are next.

3. avatar Nine says:

Ah, the black powder musket, the Gangbanger’s bestfriend.

Gives the inaccuracy of a normal ganger’s ‘Gat’ but with the added benefit of being only single shot and providing a smokescreen to cover their escape.

1. avatar Andrew says:

It just flashed before me:

Bloods and Crips finally come to peace and settle their differences on a different sort of battlefield – the righteous and hallowed land of Gettysburg, Antietam, and all other other little hills.

In full “Urban” clothing, of course. With assault muskets.

4. avatar Chip in Florida says:

If I may…..

Ha!

And Ha!

5. avatar Ing says:

And the DA rides to the rescue… May shame and ridicule rain justly upon these fools and their empty-headed bureaucratic saviors forever.

6. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

When cashing in old unwanted RG’s, Jennings, and the like that people give me, I look at it as a partial refund on my taxes. Then I take the gift card to the local Fred Meyers and buy more ammo.

7. avatar CK in CA says:

I wish I would have known! I’d have printed a bunch of Liberators.

8. avatar LongPurple says:

Did S&W, Colt, Ruger, etc. whisper this suggestion of gun buybacks in the ear of the gungrabbers to expand the demand for their products?
    It figures that fewer used guns available would lead to more demand for new guns. The gun manufacturers can say like the Doritos commercial “Crunch away, we’ll make more”.

9. avatar Tyler3923 says:

This makes me want to use crowdsourcing to throw my own gun buyback. I’ll gladly take money from liberals to take guns off the street and into my safe where they belong.

10. avatar Hannibal says:

Pic unrelated…?

On another note, with printable guns in the wild, I wonder how long before these ‘no questions asked’ buybacks start running into them.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

The cops in the pic look amazed.
      “Hey Ferd, how’s this thing supposed to work? Where’s the magazine go?”

1. avatar LongBeach says:

Where do I mount the EOTech? I can’t shoot dogs without my EOTech.

2. avatar Chris Dumm says:

Wrong: pic NOT unrelated. This photo was taken at Gunbygun’s very first buyback in Oakland last summer.

11. avatar Ing says:

Heck, if you already have a 3D printer and the materials aren’t too costly, you could fund a nice bonus to your ammo budget by turning in Liberator type guns made just for that purpose.

You could even troll the gun prohibitionists on an epic level. Picture it… People all across the nation flooding gun “buybacks” with dirt-cheap printed plasticware and turning a profit. When the anti-gun shills catch on and start whining about it, you can turn around and say, “But I thought you wanted these things off the streets. We’re just trying to help.”

12. avatar Venator Magnus says:

Keep yer powder dry, Oakland gangstas!

13. avatar PeterK says:

Yeah, ’cause fuel on that fire is just what we need. 🙂

14. avatar Dan says:

Everyone know that liberals don’t donate money. They only take it from other people for themselves.

15. avatar mirgc says:

Why don’t pro-gun groups hold their own buybacks?
    Fair prices paid for working, wanted guns. Top dollar for collectibles (maybe even have fundraiser auctions, a percentage going to a pro-gun group)
    Scrap mental prices paid for non-working junk.

Then when the next gun-control buyback comes along, you have a good place to sell back all the scrape metal for “top price”.

it would be a win-win!

1. avatar Chris Dumm says:

We do. They’re called gun shows, and there’s another one this weekend in Portland. Maybe I’ll go, now that I think of it.

1. avatar knightofbob says:

What I’ve seen completely disappear from Michigan gun shows is the so-called “gunsmith’s special.” Maybe it’s only local, maybe it’s due to market, or liability, but I’ve read up on some techniques I’d like to try that would be a great fit on a home defense shotgun, and I remember when someone could find a Remington 870 receiver/tube cheap.

Then again, I also inherited a sporter Enfield project I should probably finish before I give myself another distraction. Not to mention the .308 Mauser project I’m trying to inherit…

16. avatar Cubby123 says:

I’m sooooo glad I moved out of Stupidville California .
    This reminds me of Australia, when I was ther last they had “Amnesty Day” where if you turned your guns in voluntarily they gave you a Popsicle and would’nt arrest you. Which is exactly where we’re headed if we don’t put a stop to this stupidity.
    These cities and towns in California need to start getting sued for this type activity just like NSSF is suing the city of Sunnyvale Calif for their firearms ordinances.

17. avatar AlphaGeek says:

I openly mocked an acquaintance of mine on Facebook for posting something supportive of this kickstarter campaign. I was pretty rough with my criticism, and I’m quite certain that it was not the sort of reaction he expected to get.

Oakland absolutely does have an illegal gun problem, but gun buyouts aren’t the solution. The problem is that CA prisons are already full to overflowing (literally) so the gang-bangers and other violent criminals don’t get convicted and sent away at nearly the rate that they should be, and don’t stay incarcerated for nearly long enough.

18. avatar Patrick says:

Those muskets look fun to shoot, at least for a newbie who hasn’t done anything like that. I never have.

Why sell at a gun buy-“from” when one could get a few more dollars selling to someone who wants to see what it’s like to shoot a gun like this, but obviously won’t be murdering with them? Then again, I don’t know the buy price or their condition. Maybe it was actually more profitable to sell to these folks than on the market.

1. avatar Chris. Dumm says:

The infusion of public funds (without a vote of any kind) topped them off. If they dispute this, I challenge them to release their donor list and amounts.

1. avatar sophia says:

Really? I would like to see the donor list as well.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

I;m sure one “M. Bloomberg” contributed heavily.

19. avatar whit says:

I have an unusable H&R .32 S&W that I can’t wait to trade in for $100 if a buyback ever comes to my area!