TTAG Trick Shot Artist Kirsten Weiss to Shoot Henry Lever Guns

Kirsten Joy Weiss (courtesy Howard Studios)

When Kirsten Weiss began her trick shot career a few commentators harrumphed. They reckoned shooting targets in the Kingdom of Far Far Away with a $3k Anschutz competition rifle was, well, cheating. So we arranged for Kirsten to shoulder a Volquartsen. Think golf clap. So then we contacted Anthony Imperato of Henry Repeating Rifles for a lever gun to help Ms. Weiss get in touch with her inner Annie Oakley and shoot something more relatable. Impresario Imperato is kindly providing not one but two samples: a $340 H001 and the $430 H001T octagon barrel. How accurate are they? How accurate will Kirsten be with them? Watch this space, and make the jump for Kirsten’s pre-take take on her new long guns. Oh, and Grizzly Custom Guns is modifying a Marlin for extreme accuracy, but Lew takes his sweet time with these things. Don’t ask me how I know . . .

The last time I had my hands on a lever action rifle, I was just a little Weiss, but you can’t study American rifle history (let alone watch practically any good western flick) without seeing lever actions pop up like spring wildflowers. They’re an important thread in our national, gun-loving fabric and, like all of you who enjoy shooting, I’m so happy to be a part of what makes this country great.

comments

1. avatar ST says:

“Oh, and Grizzly Custom Guns is modifying a Marlin for –basic functionality–”

Post edited for accuracy.The last lever gun I fondled was a Remington built Marlin which had crayola wood stocks, a lever sharp enough to shave with, and an action so slow and rough Congress would be embarrassed.

May as well call them kit guns, fit only for transport to the nearest gunsmith for final assembly.

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

Which is even more sad considering how great their rifles were pre-Freedon Group. I have a 795 and a 60 that i love to death. The 60 is so old that it has Glenfield roll marks on it!

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

You just reminded me that a .22mag lever gun is at the top of my need to have list.

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I’m torn between a o/u 20 gauge, and a Henry in .22 kinda depends what ammo is like come Spring 2014.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I’ve got an old 20 auto loader. It’s the sweetest upland bird gun. I think I like it better than the O/U.

2. avatar 505markf says:

I have a Henry in 22 mag and it is sweeeeet.

3. avatar mrpiggy fingers says:

Any mention of Kirsten without pictures is unforgivable but this is going to be great.Lever actions are so cool and yet still affordable and a nice break from the ‘tactical’ overkill of recent years.A mare’s leg .22 is next on my must have list.

4. avatar Don says:

Ooo, I’m very interested in seeing how these lever .22s perform!

5. avatar JeffR says:

Is she going to put aperture sights on these?

6. avatar jwm says:

I had a winchester 94/22 and a mossberg palamino .22 in my younger days. Back when .22 was a penny a round for lr. Fun times.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

What was the revolution like grandpa?? Lol sorry had to say it.

1. avatar Jay Dunn says:

I have four boxes of Remington .22 purchased by my father in 1953 marked 49 cents. So less than a penny a round. I have shot up several other boxes and they worked just fine, certainly better than modern Remington .22 bulk ammo.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

Wow… Remington used to make top quality ammo but unfortunately standards have fallen.

2. avatar Hank says:

I have an OCD-like fascination with inflation-adjusted prices. That would be $4.30 in 2013 dollars. If those are 50rd boxes, the prices in our current situation are not quite as bad as I thought. Of course, you’re right. The quality isn’t what it used to be. I’ve had feed trouble like crazy this year with guns I’ve never had trouble with before, and it’s definitely not the guns (Ruger Mk I, Savage Model 29 pump .22). Remington in particular has also provided with me by far the most failures, and many times the bullets appear not to even be properly seated.

2. avatar jwm says:

Well. I am a grandpa and I’m a veteran of the revolution….the sexual revolution. Ask me what it was like before sex could cause you a permanent disease or a fatal disease. No AIDS, no Herpes.

Personally. I think being young now would have to suck, big time.

3. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Hahahahaha
        Remember when safe sex meant having a padded headboard?

1. avatar jwm says:

I remember a bed frame breaking and the headboard cracking me in the head. With one hand I shoved it up and held while I braced myself with the other hand and soldiered on. That was a revolution. Everything else was just war.

2. avatar Jay1987 says:

What happened to padded headboards anyway??? I ain’t seen one in years… then again the one I got certainly is useful and has almost perfect mounting spots on it.

3. avatar Jay1987 says:

Disregard my last a helmet will solve the issue now if I could just find one that fits my girlfriend…

7. avatar g says:

Lever gun in .357 still on my “to buy” list, to pair with my Colt Python… 😉

8. avatar DG says:

I have a Marlin 22 mag lever action. Easy to shoot and accurate. It’s also my wife’s favorite rifle.

What’s not to like?

9. avatar Avid Reader says:

Personally, I don’t care what she shoots as long as I get to watch.

Might even distract Dirk from his fixation, if ya know what I mean. . .

10. avatar dale says:

I have a Henry 001 that I won in an NRA Raffle. Some folks chuckle when I bring it to my club’s rimfire matches but so far I’ve put in a pretty good showing with it and I think any space for improvement in my scores belongs to ME not the rifle.

11. avatar Jay1987 says:

Glad she chose an American brand that’s affordable, doesn’t need put together correctly after it’s bought, and that mere mortals can afford. That said I still think it’d be fun to watch her do a trick shot with a Barrett 50 or an M2 ooooh maybe a MK 19 too.

1. avatar Piet Padkos says:

Trick shot yoga with an M2. Now THAT we need to see!

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

Just thinkin of tryin to do yoga with an M2 .50 on my chest makes my back start cracklin… maybe she should try somethin different like shooting a rope to drop a weight or something.

12. avatar Rimfire says:

Who is Henry Imperato, you must mean Anthony, right?

1. D’oh! Yes, we mean Anthony. Text amended.

13. avatar Steve says:

I have a Henry H001T, and it’s freaking awesome. I’m curious to see if Miss Weiss will use the stock sights or swaps them out.

1. avatar miserylovescompany says:

Jeff up above had asked the same thing but my phone won’t let me open a reply there, so here it is…I’d say yes. Good aperture sights make a BIG difference at almost all differences. I’m kinda interested in getting some myself in fact.

Tom

1. avatar Steve says:

I hope she uses the stock sights, though. I know how much of a difference good quality sights make on a .22 rifle (having swapped them several times on my Henry). If she could pull off those same shots with the stock sights, it would show how much of a boss she truly is, IMO.

14. avatar Ing says:

My Henry leverguns — an H001 and a Golden Boy — are more accurate than I am. I’m no trick shooter, but I’ve had my moments, and those little guns have been more than able to do everything I’ve asked them to.

Are they accurate enough to do what Kirsten Joy Weiss wants them to do? I’m guessing yes…but even if they’re not, watching Kirsten push their limits ought to be pretty darn fun.

15. avatar wheelgun says:

I’m excited to see Kirsten shoot the new guns. It will be amazing to see what a true marksmen such as her can do with any rifle handed to her. I have no doubts it’s the indian and not the arrow, you don’t get to her level of competency by just using a fancy gun. If you did, anyone could shoot for the Olympic team.

I’m always fascinated but naysayers like those mentioned in the original post who claim, “Gee, of course she can do it, she’s using that fancy $3K Anschutz. Humph, anybody can shoot great with a gun like that.” No they can’t. The lady was shooting skittles at distance offhand with open sights. I don’t care how expensive the rifle is, that my friends is pure talent. I suspect the jacklegs making those kinds of comments are arrogant, overweight guys who sit behind a computer pontificating how they know this or think that and haven’t fired a shot in competition in their lives. They are jealous of someone who has a gift and developed their skill set while they sat on their butts and did nothing but become bitter and disrespectful in their inadequacy.

Sorry, rant off.

Wheelgun

1. avatar TheBear says:

I don’t think anyone honestly thinks she’s a bad shot.

Some people are just grumpy and hyper critical online.

16. avatar Jeh says:

“Modifying the Marlin for extreme accuracy”
    Then what’s being accomplished here exactly?

1. avatar TheBear says:

Cosmetics to make poor asses feel better about not being able to afford a $3k target rifle.

2. avatar Jay1987 says:

Really they are just taking it apart and putting it back together the correct way rather than throwing poo at it like the monkeys over at freedom group do with em now.

17. avatar Mark says:

The Henry rifles mentioned in the article are actually the H001 and the H001T Frontier.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

Whoops. Text amended. Those responsible have not been sacked, as their name is on the door.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

Two mistakes in one article…take RF’s gold star for today and don’t let him have pudding and cookies at snack time tomorrow.

2. avatar ShaunL says:

Have the people responsible for sacking the person who wasn’t sacked been sacked yet?

P.S. Henry the wonder Llama rocks….. Please tell me somebody here gets that refrence???

18. avatar Drew says:

I want to see her Drive a16p nail into [oh you pick the wood, just NOT pine, I used 1865 barn wood, “hard stuff”] at say 25 yards. [I used the corner of a building for support]
    I’ve done this with a Marlin 25sp LR, American Heritage limited edition I think I got it around 1995-96.
    The only mod I did was to free float the barrel and put a cheap tasco wide angle scope on it, it’s still on today and just bagged my 25th chicken steal’in Raccoon in 2 years.

19. avatar SdubM45 says:

Speaking of rifles, what IS that thing supposed to be in that photo? It looks like a k98 f*cked a sextant.

20. avatar Aharon says:

Robert,

This site is getting too tame. Can you bring back the links to the South African and Israeli models?

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

You just wait! Please.

21. avatar Kenneth says:

I have the H001T Octagon Frontier and it’s extremely accurate. I replaced the buckhorn rear sight with a Skinner peep. Perfect.

1. avatar Aharon says:

Good to know. Thanks.

22. avatar Semper Why says:

I had an autocrosser show me that the true demonstration of skill is when someone grabs your gun/car/bike/board and then beats your score with it. I’m looking forward to Ms. Weiss showing us all just how good she is.