Shotgun Toilet Paper Showdown! Benelli M4 vs Saiga-12

D7C_5077

On Monday we met Lone Star Arms honchos Mike and Christina Rogers at Best of the West in Liberty Hill. That’s where they demo’d their impressive, highly modified Saiga-12 IZ-433 for us, showing us just what the sometimes-maligned AK-patterned semi-auto shotguns are capable of when done up right. Watch this space for a full review next week. In the mean time, Mike took on sharpshot Kirsten Joy Weiss in a TP-blasting smoothbore showdown. Kirsten sported RF’s Benelli M4. Mike shot his upgraded Saiga. Who won? Watch the replay after the jump and you make the call . . .

comments

1. avatar jwm says:

2 old farts. 2 shotguns. 2 rolls of tp. 1 KJW. We won by having KJW there.

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Was it ever even a contest?

2. avatar ensitue says:

What’s next “9mm vs 357” “Wheelgun vs Auto”, Iron’s vs Optics”?
    Those manufactured Tropes should have been banned, but (sigh) this is the internet so TP vs Shotgun is considered a viable distraction for it’s demographic

1. avatar A-Rod says:

1911 vs Glock….

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Bah! Everyone knows a .357mm 1911 revolver with a 3-9X red dot Eotech wins every time.

1. avatar Conway Redding says:

Please educate me. What, exactly, is a .357mm 1911 revolver? I’ve never heard the designation “1911” used for anything but a Colt autoloader or one of its clones.

2. avatar DonS says:

Conway- I suspect your sarcasm detector is in need of adjustment.

3. avatar Pulatso says:

What? The .380 gauge Long Colt Glock wins that contest, hands down.

4. avatar disthunder says:

The Glock in Die Hard 2 wins everything. You know, the one that gives Schumer nightmares.

5. avatar jwm says:

Yeah, but that’s the special porcelin Glock. It costs more than we make in a month.

6. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Make mine a belt fed winchester-sharpes-colt-spencer-AUG derringer in 88 magnum.

7. avatar Rich Grise says:

I want one of those movie Uzis with infinite bullets and zero recoil.

2. avatar Glock Sucker says:

Glock wins contest to shoot yourself in your own leg.

3. avatar CK in CA says:

Hey, KJW is good with a 12 gauge too.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yup. Noticed that. Not bad there young lady!

2. avatar Rich Grise says:

Is she compensating for having a small penis?
      /sarc

1. avatar ropingdown says:

I vote that we leave her social life out of the discussion.

4. avatar Jeh says:

Wow. Suddenly I want a Benelli M4.

1. avatar pwrserge says:

… and I want the SAIGA.

. . . and I want a glass of Barolo and a vodka on ice.

1. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

Amarone is where it’s at, I’ve got a bottle of Bertani decanting, waiting for the missus to get home. That Vodka rocks sounds good though.

2. avatar Avid Reader says:

I don’t have any Barolo, but since it’s Friday afternoon I’m headed for the vodka on ice.

Good thinking, sir!

3. avatar Avid Reader says:

Ah, changed my mind. Johnnie Walker is calling louder than Mr. Smirnoff. . .

4. avatar WRH says:

You’re all wrong. Jameson’s Finest Irish Whiskey. Need I say more?

5. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

Nope, everyone knows Bushmills is for Prods. Up the RA.

5. avatar Paul G. says:

At least they favored HER good side…..I don’t think he has one.

1. avatar Lone Star Arms says:

Yeah, I’d be the first to admit the shot might have been better with just Kirsten. Doesn’t she look great in it though?!

Along with being an absolute top shot, Kirsten is as smart, genuine, and sweet as she is beautiful. It was a real pleasure to shoot with her.

Mike Rogers

1. avatar Kirsten says:

Aw, Mike, Likewise! Thanks for making the drive to show us your rockin’ guns!

6. avatar SdubM45 says:

VangComp Remington 870. Tighter shot pattern, reliable with all types of 12ga ammo, and the best part? Legal in all U.S. States and municipalities. Unlike the two shoguns in the photo above.

1. avatar John Hope says:

I think your missing the point dude. Its comparing 2 auto loaders. Not pumps vs auto loaders. And seriously, dont compare a Remington 870 to a Benelli M4. You are talking 2 VERY different guns in terms of quality. No sane human being that knows more than just basic knowledge of guns would ever try to compare an 870 to an M4. 870 is a great shotgun, have owned several. But they are not high quality shotguns. I think its even a stretch to compare a M4 with a Saiga, as they are jamomatic, piles of turd. They just look cool. They have multiple, consistent performance issues across the board. But at least the article is comparing 2 similar platforms. Comparing a pump to a auto loader is like comparing a revolver to a semi auto. Again, i think the point of this article went over your head. Save your 870 comment for an article that pertains to pump shotguns

7. avatar Cknarf says:

Saiga shotguns are undeniably cool.

What’s cooler than an AK? An AK that shoots 12 gauge. That’s what.

8. avatar Ing says:

JWM is right. We all win.

9. avatar Robert Seddon says:

Now wait one minute here .. I see ONE old fart and one great shot with her Benelli ,, she also happens to be good looking. Now, what makes those two shotguns illegal? The Benelli M4 is legal anywhere that i can think of, but you might need to shorten the load tube is some jurisdictions. The Saiga? same thing pretty much.

I use a 870 wingmaster with a Vang Comp barrel but I really likle the idea of that Benelli semi auto fire. My load tube sticks out about 1/2 inch longer than the barrel does but it doesn’t bother it too much, just gets some carbon buildup after a box or two. The Vang Comp barrel is the best I have found for self defense or just giving someone else heartburn, but it is not a hunting barrel at all. throws a real tight pattern with # 4 birdshot that can kill a cyote at 50 feet.. now that is tight patterning. The hole it put in that yote was smaller than a music CD, and it dropped him on the spot. #00 Buck can really trash something.

10. avatar William Burke says:

I wanted to say Kirsten should wear some more appropriate footwear. But, on further reflection, I’m just fine with those high-heeled, knee-high, *leather* jobs.

You, sir, are a creepy old man. And I say that with affection.

2. avatar Kirsten says:

They’re leather, don’t you worry ’bout that 😉

11. avatar Rich Grise says:

Are there any pix of Ms. Weiss where she looks happy? I know, guns are not a toy, and our need for them is no laughing matter, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with letting a little joy seep into the equation somewhere sometime. You’ve got to admit, there’s a lot of comedy in the concept of defending yourself from killer toilet paper.

Would Dirk have said something suggestive/inappropriate about those boots? I’m making a heroic effort here keeping my inner dirty old man from making off-color comments. Is “I think they’re hot” OK? And William, I’d bet actual money that they’re made of real leather.

1. avatar Kirsten says:

They are real leather, and Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did…..only in heels 😉

1. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

Ginger Rogers ain’t got nothin on you darlin. Keep up the good work!

2. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Don’t forget Kirsten, Ginger also did it backwards…

3. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

And backwards.

2. avatar Cliff H says:

Rich, Kirsten’s middle name is Joy (really).

The vids that post here from time to time often have her smiling.

12. avatar C says:

Top photo looks like an american Michael Caine

13. avatar TheBear says:

I didn’t know Kirsten was in Texas. I need to go to Best of the west more often…

Hell, I may be moving to leander.

1. avatar TheBear says:

Just reread this and realized it looks creepy-stalkerish.

If I move to Leander it’ll be because houses are cheaper… not because of this video with KJW at Best of the west.

Had to clarify… the internet is a funny place.

14. avatar Pat says:

I have to settle with a Mossy 930.