Saturday Safety Tip: Avoid Yemeni Weddings

shotgunwedding

Or any weddings, really, where the festivities traditionally include celebratory gunfire. As nydailynews.com reports, “A man dancing to “Gangnam Style” at a wedding party in Yemen reportedly killed three people when he tried to fire his AK-47 in celebration and accidentally sprayed the group with bullets.” [Make the jump for the auto-playing video] Maybe it’s unfair to pin the blame on the nuptials when an outbreak of random gunfire, mayhem and death in Yemen is otherwise known as Thursday night. The fact that this tragedy occurred to the dulcet tones of Psy only added insult to the injuries. And deaths.

comments

1. avatar PeterC says:

Three less. One small step for mankind.

1. avatar bobmcd says:

Unfortunately, the three that got hit were probably the least culpable.

1. avatar doesky2 says:

….but yet still culpable in their own small ways that help the jihadist cause.

1. avatar Barstow Cowboy says:

For crying out loud, they were wearing western clothing and DANCING to a POP SONG in PUBLIC! I don’t think these guys were the jihad type. Anyways, this is the reason I stopped going to weddings in Yemen.

2. avatar William Burke says:

I agree that they are “capable” of adding to the jihadist cause, but mostly they do not anything to support that cause.

3. avatar doesky2 says:

…. and the German people drank beer and danced to polka bands during town festivals even while that “strange but un-questioned” smell came wafting in from the “work camp” down the road.

4. avatar Jus Bill says:

They’re about as jihadist as you. Jihadists don’t listen to Psy, much less dance to his tunes. But at least they didn’t get droned.

5. avatar Tom says:

It has been my experience that anyone making a statement such as this is horribly ignorant of…. well pretty much any knowledge of the Middle East, who our real enemy is or what the motivations are.

This sort of logic was/is not only a hindrance to us on the ground but has in some cases proven dangerous.

Men, maybe you are just trying to be “funny” on the internet, I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.

As to the story, well stupid people will do stupid things. As all too often someone else pays for it. Granted, celebratory gun fire is not a good plan to begin with. Still seems that every month or so bad things happen because of it somewhere on the planet. Was Argentina in the last story I read.

Good day.

2. avatar Hannibal says:

I really shouldn’t find it funny… but come on… did it have to be that song?

3. avatar Cliff H says:

If he had fondled the bride they would have had to stone her to death. What will Sharia meet out for this faux pas?

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Seven Virginians when he dies.

4. avatar (Formerly) MN Matt says:

I almost want to ask, “Are we even the same species?”

Then I remember – there’s nothing new under the sun. We just hear about all of the crazy sh!t sooner thanks to Facebook and YouTube.

5. avatar Clay says:

why does this keep starting on it own? the video I mean.

Because our head tech is now Kathleen Sebelius.

The body count would have been higher if the wedding was in Chicago. But the “music” would still suck.

1. avatar DickG says:

But in Chicago, it would have been on a Saturday night !
      On the other hand, since Friday is their Sabbath, Thursday there would be the same as our Saturday.
      Strange, that.

7. avatar Danny says:

Three funerals an a wedding. Such is live in the Sandbox.

8. avatar BLAMMO says:

Are the goat and groom okay?

1. avatar William Burke says:

Why? Someone get your goat?

9. avatar William Burke says:

Gangnam Style, at a Muslim wedding? What hath Mohammed wrought? What buzzing sound, a chainsaw? Have they added chainsaws to Muslim weddings when I wasn’t looking?

They sure know how to throw a party, don’t they? And people make fun of rednecks….

10. avatar Defens says:

Celebratory gunfire seems so archaic and 80’s. Shouldn’t they be using Claymore’s or grenades?

1. avatar William Burke says:

Semtex would really put some pop in a Mideast wedding.

11. avatar ensitue says:

The vid is gone, not even a link!

12. avatar Jeff says:

sorry I would avoid just about ANY Arab celebration if I could manage to. if they aren’t shooting automatic rifles into the sky, someone will surely manage to drift a brand new Mercedes sideways into the crowd.

13. avatar Gyufygy says:

*Avoid Yemen

Fixed that for you.

1. avatar Lolinski says:

You should check out their gun laws – doesnt seem so bad.

2. avatar Venator Magnus says:

I had a professor when I was studying as an undergrad who was in Yemen on an archeological trip when 9/11 happened. He’d been there several times previously. He knew, as did his translators and diggers, that it would be the last time he’d be able to step foot on the Arabian Peninsula. BTW, forget about being allowed to carry your own firearms while you’re there. If you don’t look, walk, and talk like them, you’re not entitled to exist.

By and large, the only thing worth seeing in the Middle East anymore is Israel. The Religion of Peace™ ensures that for the next several decades, virtually no freedom-loving individual on earth will be safe there. Be wary the Islamification of the West.

14. avatar tomjonesa22 says:

Gangum style with a yemeni touch.

15. avatar Nine says:

I feel like that picture should be a caption contest.

16. avatar PhoenixNFA says:

full video.

WARNING Very GRAPHIC!!

[PLEASE LOP THE HTTP:// OFF THE FRONT OF YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEO LINKS SO THEY DON’T EMBED. I KNOW IT LOOKS LIKE IT’S STILL THERE; WORDPRESS PUTS IT BACK WHEN IT TURNS IT INTO A HOTLINK. –THANKS]

17. avatar Andy says:

Actually not the first time this has happened,but ya’ll know some folks ain’t quite bright!Probably someone who just got his jihad issue AK,and hasn’t been trained on who to shoot.Be prepared and ready.Keep your powder dry.

1. avatar William Burke says:

I think it’s more a matter of them not placing a high value on human life, rather than one of individual intelligence.

1. avatar Jus Bill says:

Nailed it!

18. avatar H.C. says:

Ugh, celebratory gunfire… I have no idea why they like this so much… Flying around Afghanistan during Muslim holidays or wedding season at night always made for a good show… Tracers everywhere. When my guys were in Baghdad they thought the world was ending when Iraq made it into the World Cup… Everyman man woman and child who had a firearm fired it into the air… I know not everyone is bad… But I can’t help but keep the term “savages” out of my head… Some things will never change

1. avatar William Burke says:

It’s a cultural thing. And “savages” wear animal skins and don’t grasp technology, don’t drive cars. These people are not “savages”, they’re just…. different.

1. avatar Mike James says:

Would “dumbshits” be acceptable? No, this requires a memorable sort of marking and shaming. We could just call them “children”, but people have to be able to hear the sneering condemnation in one’s voice for that to work. “Different” just doesn’t get to the meat of the matter–the moaning, screaming, bleeding meat, lying on the dance floor.

1. avatar William Burke says:

“Dumbshits” seems to work, if you need a term like that to describe them. The word “libtard” actually reveals something about the user that might best be left unrevealed.

19. avatar Arod529 says:

*psy* I can’t believe people listen to that crap…

20. avatar john says:

That was clearly George Bush’s fault.

21. avatar Puyallup Devil_Doc says:

God, I hate auto play videos…

22. avatar Steve S. says:

I used to work in Yemen. According to custom and tradition, he was supposed to shoot into the sky. They’re not particularly accurate shooters, so this guy shot into the sky – and missed!

1. avatar William Burke says:

Like I said, no particular reverence for human life.

23. avatar Roger says: