TTAG Exclusive: Kirsten Joy Weiss Does Yoga With a Gun!

Blogger Lexi calls exclamation marks “the cheap whore of punctuation.” (Does that make semi-colons high-class hookers?) I deploy exclamation marks from time to time, using italics to signal my ironic intent. But some writers can get away with straightforward spear throwing. People like Kirsten Joy Weiss, whose middle name-branded enthusiasm for shooting is as pure as it is infectious. The video itself is all the “excuse” KJW needs for using an exclamation mark. OK, sure, a close-up shot of the blue balloon wouldn’t have gone amiss (GoPro no go). But Miss Weiss’ reactions tell us all we need to know about her target’s deflation. And her elation. As I’ve said many times, The People of the Gun need to show more positive emotion; it’s the best way to spread the truth about guns! [Click here to visit Kirsten’s website for more trick shots ‘n stuff.]

comments

1. avatar ST says:

I always leave a gun range more enlightened then when I first entered it.Perhaps the real target isn’t the one downrange, but your personal outlook.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Spot on, ST.

2. avatar Kirsten says:

Well said

2. avatar Matt in FL says:

Neat how quickly she learned how to be stable in that position in just a few shots. Each shot the movement of the barrel got less and less.

3. avatar jwm says:

Where is she shooting at? That’s some pretty rough looking country out there.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Arizona or California.

1. avatar Ing says:

The same type of scenery in her videos can be seen in any number of spots throughout Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and Southern California.

Something I’ve seen or heard before (can’t remember what) says Arizona to me.

2. avatar Wyatt says:

And Eastern WA or OR.

1. avatar Ing says:

True. I was thinking of the red dirt and yucca plants in a couple of previous videos when I left Eastern WA & OR and central ID out of the running. You could add Colorado to the list of possibilities, too. A lot of high desert territory in the West that could look like that.

Wherever that patch of land is, I’m glad Kirsten was standing on it making a video. 🙂

4. avatar Jay1987 says:

Pretty girl contorted in an odd position in yoga pants and guns good lord this vid has everything.

5. avatar FrankM says:

Back in the 1980s my old man (union electrician, Vietnam Vet, and competitive pistol shooter) heard that this newfangled yoga thing could help you control your breathing and heart-rate. He started taking yoga classes with all the yuppies in our neighborhood. I don’t have anything against meditation and/or yoga but I wish I could go back in time and see my dad in those classes.

1. avatar Kirsten says:

I think that takes guts, to try something new that’s out of your comfort zone like that. I love the mental picture of this rough yet dedicated pistol lovin guy not giving a care, surrounded by 80s style yoga gurus!!!

6. avatar Craig says:

Exclamation points are best used sparingly. If you want to emphasize something, don’t use it often. Kind of like swearing or cap locks also.

IF I ALWAYS TYPE LIKE THIS WITHOUT CORRECT PUNCTUATION YOULL NEVER KNOW WHAT IM TRYING TO EMPHASIZE AND WHAT IM JUST SAYING DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?! OR MAYBE I JUST TALK LIKE IM YELLING ALL THE TIME!?!

1. avatar Marcus Aurelius says:

This is what happens when you don’t use ear protection.

1. avatar Matt in FL says:

“ANYTHING JUST PLAY IT LOUD OK?”

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Turn it up to 11. . .

2. avatar jwm says:

Did you say, Film at 11?

7. avatar Southern Cross says:

If you have ever competed in UIT smallbore or air rifle, you learn very quickly that controlling your breathing is a big part of the technique.

I competed in UIT air rifle for over a decade, and although the distance is “only” 10 metres, it ranks as the hardest discipline I ever competed in. The card for the target is about 2″ square, the 9-ring is only slightly bigger than a .177″ pellet, and the 10 dot is 1.5mm across. And to make it harder, the position is free-standing without a sling or rest. There are 40 scoring shots (60 for A & B grade) plus unlimited sighters. My best ever score was 328/400 and completed (including sighters) in 27 minutes.

Compared to this, service rifle is easy. The sentiment was shared with other UIT air rifle shooters who also competed in service rifle.

1. avatar Lars says:

You have obviously never competed in service rifle matches.

1. avatar Southern Cross says:

I have 20 years in local service matches. Try hitting a Figure 12 at 300 metres, prone unsupported, only a sling is allowed (no rests), with iron sights. And, the rings of the target are scored instead of just hits.

8. avatar JT says:

Impossible not to be spellbound by Kirsten; but it looks like a shot we could all make with a $100 handgun.

1. avatar Rokurota says:

Then you make a video and show us. Don’t forget the yoga pants.

1. avatar Lars says:

May we all disown any man who dresses in yoga pants and performs such silly movements while shooting a firearm.

2. avatar jwm says:

100 dollar handgun? You gonna make that shot with a Raven or Bryco? Prove it.

3. avatar ShaunL says:

I think you’re missing the point. She’s making videos that people can actually relate to and even try(if they’re flexible). There are hundreds if not thousands of videos online showing the “impossible” shots but how many of those are attainable with a normal rifle?

Anything interesting enough to draw people into the shooting sports and swell our ranks should be a good thing right?

Check out her site, It’s about the JOY of shooting not the CHALLENGE of shooting.

As for the dare to recreate the shot…. PLEASE don’t start sending in videos of OFWGs in yoga pants. I don’t think that would be good for ANYBODY…lol.

9. avatar g says:

Yoga and guns? Double like.

10. avatar Lars says:

Yoga? What should we all lightly enjoy a fat-free yogurt before a trip to the range as well?

11. avatar erick says:

the word perfection comes to mind

12. avatar Federale says:

Yoga is supposed to be done bare foot. Nice tights though.