Quote of the Day: Accur81 Edition

Ruger LCP (courtesy bigtfirearms.com)

“We live in a world where people are not bound by the law, and it takes more than law to stop them.” – TTAG commentator Accur81 underneath “High Capacity Magazines”: Our Enemies Have ‘Em But You Can’t!

comments

1. avatar LongBeach says:

Sage words, and from a (I believe) LEO. Who says they’re all bad!

1. avatar Henry Bowman says:

It seems he’s a Peace Officer as opposed to a Law Enforcer.

1. avatar Accur81 says:

I try to make a positive contribution, and I’ve learned a great deal from TTAG regarding the difference.

2. avatar Accur81 says:

Thank you. I was taking a philosophical moment after considering the car and foot chases and various uses of force required to stop someone who had no intentions of stopping for verbal commands or flashing lights.

2. avatar Renegade Dave says:

That’s a big paw with that LCP. He probably has a bigger issue firing it than I do mine. To get a good trigger press I have to put my finger in a weird orientation.

1. avatar Lucas D. says:

Hey, my LCP fits entirely in my hand, too. I guess I have huge hands, then.

Aw, crap; now I’m self conscious about it.

3. avatar Gregolas says:

Jeff Cooper said, “The criminal fears neither the police nor the courts. He must therefore be taught to fear his victim.”

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

Mr. Cooper was a really smart fella, I sure miss his writings.

4. avatar A-Rod says:

We never could legislate morality.

1. avatar Duke of Sharon says:

But we can stop legislating immorality.

Specifically, every law which functions to sever the natural link between action and consequence. Man made law once served to enforce the laws of nature–if you failed to properly tie your cow and she got out and ate my corn, the law functioned to remove the bad consequence from the innocent actor (me) and place it where it belongs, on the negligent actor (you).

Today, 90% of government serves the opposite function. If I build a car no one wants to buy, or raise a crop no one wants to buy at the cost of production, or build a house in a flood plain, or get fired from my job, or not find a job, or destroy my own health the government is there to remove the consequence from me and place it on the head of my neighbor. Meanwhile, if I work hard, produce goods and services which others value, and thereby profit, the government is there to remove that consequence from me as well. We have not a government, but an ungovernment.

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

“ungovernment” is exactly right! I ‘m gonna use that if it’s ok with you

1. avatar Duke of Sharon says:

Please do.

5. avatar Paul B says:

We cannot legalize any kind of behavior that we desire as a society. Some segment will always break the law. If tough laws made a difference you would never see anyone in a moslem country with no hands.

What really slays me is the most pious liberal will run a red light in a heart beat if they are in a hurry. Talk about your hypocrite.

1. avatar Duke of Sharon says:

But there’s more to it. Things are worse today than in general.

So much of society now has no savings, no social standing, no dignity. In legal terms, they are “judgment proof.” Meaning that there’s really nothing to take from them and no way to punish them. Whether it is a criminal conviction or a civil judgment, you just can’t punish people who have nothing of value. They are learning at a very young age that there really is no incentive to conform to social standards. Those of us who do are the chumps.

1. avatar A-Rod says:

I think of it as there is a lack of Fear – Lack of fear of God, lack of fear of parents, lack of fear of authority, lack of fear of consequencies personal actions, misplaced fear of imminent harm, etc.

1. avatar Jay1987 says:

This is exactly the problem

2. avatar Duke of Sharon says:

I seem to remember something like “the beginning of wisdom is fear of the Lord.”

2. avatar Leadbelly says:

Remember the old Bob Dylan song? “If you ain’t got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose.” And: “To live outside the law, you must be honest.”

We have always lived in such a world. Always. If you believe in the Bible, lawbreaking goes back to Adam. Moses got righteously indignant when his peeps broke several of the Ten Commandments on the very day that he received them. For those who are less Biblically inclined, I’ll wager that the very day when a man invented the first law, there was another man breaking it.

That’s why we have guns, no?

1. avatar Accur81 says:

While I absolutely agree with you, I believe there are certain watershed event which allow the general public to achieve this realization. The NY MC gang versus the hapless driver in the Range Rover is a great example. A family man driving a Range Rover on an open freeway isn’t expecting trouble, but it found him anyways. Unless it really hits home, low information voters and oblivious citizens will fail to realize that they can be victims, and subsequently fall for political rhetoric and empty campaign promises.

7. avatar ensitue says:

We live in Revolutionary Times, soon to be a time of Terror as the Cultural Revolution sweeps over America.
    As envisioned by Bill Ayers, approx. 35 million of us will not survive

1. avatar bontai Joe says:

I like to think of it as 35 million of THEM will not survive.

8. avatar Silver says:

The fact that the government considers itself unbound by the law as well is all the reason I need to keep on trucking for the 2A