Incendiary Image of the Day: Official Illinois Gun-Free Zone Card

Official Illinois gun-free zone isp.state.il.us)

The Illinois State Police have released the legally-binding design for private property owners in the Land of Lincoln who want to turn their property into a criminal enrichment zone. Here’s the official 411:

Owners of any statutorily prohibited area or private property, excluding residences, where the owner prohibits the carrying of firearms must clearly and conspicuously post the Illinois State Police approved sign, in accordance with Firearm Concealed Carry Act, at the entrance of the building, premises or real property. Please refer to Section 65 (Prohibited Areas) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act for more information on statutory requirements for signage as well as where concealed weapons are prohibited . . .

Pursuant to Section 65(d) of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act, signs must be of a uniform design and the Illinois State Police is responsible for adopting rules for standardized signs. The Illinois State Police has proposed rules which require a white background; no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design; a depiction of a handgun in black ink with a circle around and diagonal slash across the firearm in red ink; and that the circle be 4 inches in diameter. The sign in its entirety will measure 4 inches x 6 inches.

comments

1. avatar Defens says:

Cool, looks like 1911s aren’t banned. Carry on….

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Hahaha. My first thought. Fine, I won’t carry a beretta. Ok.

2. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

Revolvers, shotguns & modern sporting rifles must be ok as well…

3. avatar Pulatso says:

I wonder if the Taurus version of the 92 is legal to carry.

4. avatar A-Rod says:

That image just mean black Beretta 92s are banned. If you have a white Beretta 92 then you are good to go. I never thought I would see racism against guns. So sad……

2. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

While it is the right of a private business owner to not allow firearms on their premise, I wonder how many will actually post it. I mean if they do then start getting robbed left right and center, well gee, maybe it wasn’t such a good idea.

1. avatar mark_anthony_78 says:

Did they leave an exemption in for the property owners?

If a convenience store posts this, will the owner get slammed for bringing HIS gun into the store?

1. avatar Daniel Silverman says:

Good question, I have no idea..
        Of course if they do, then the robber could sue because it was entrapment, see they thought they would be the only one’s armed!

1. avatar Nine says:

Dead men can’t sue.

2. avatar Mike in NC says:

Nine: We’re talking about Chicago… The dead can vote and are very likely be a successful plaintiff with the right lawyer.

3. avatar gloomhound says:

No but their baby mama can.

2. avatar Mark N. says:

According to a thread on the Firing Line, Chicago is requiring all restaurants that serve alcohol to post these signs as a condition of licensure, and possibly other businesses as well. Although the Illinois state law has a specific pre-emption provision for local laws, Chicago thus neatly avoids it.

3. avatar Brennan says:

4″x6″ is one hell of a noticeable sign!

1. avatar CA.Ben says:

My thoughts exactly! It should be at least 10″x15″

1. avatar Tama Paine says:

I was thinking the same thing, only 24″ x 48″. Want to give malefactors and miscreants a good, solid, distance-visible indication of where they are safest, after all. Maybe an LED chaser light string pointing to the sign as well.

4. avatar PeterC says:

No sweat; I don’t own a Beretta, and no freakin’ way would I ever visit Illinois.

5. avatar Roscoe says:

Wonderful: a Bad Actors Welcome Here sign.

Everyone in Chicago should have one; certainly all the gangsters will pay heed. Problem solved!

At least homeowners with any sense can opt out.

6. avatar C says:

Do they come in wallet size? i want to make sure that i’m not mugged.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

Yes. A lapel pin to wear. Then you could go anywhere. Better have one made for no knives, stun guns, bats, clubs.
      Holy crap, you’d look like that idiot Hackensack cop in the earlier post.

1. avatar Avid Reader says:

Make sure to wear it on the outside of your clothing when you’re on the CTA or in a bar.

Oh, wait, those are “Bad Guys Welcome Here Because the Good Guys are Disarmed” zones, so you don’t need it. Management will provide the signs and guarantee your safety.

Crap.

7. avatar Silver says:

Ah, the official “I hate logic, facts, and common sense, so please come rob me and everyone in here” sign.

8. avatar JB says:

“no text (except the reference to the Illinois Code 430 ILCS 66/1) or marking within the one-inch area surrounding the graphic design”

So the generic ‘gun-buster’ stickers won’t fulfill the rule of law… well, at least that’s better than if they’d let the generic stickers suffice. I’m assuming it’s like Texas where it has to spell out the 30.06 statute, or Arkansas where there’s specific wording that has to be complied with to be valid, but then again, it is Obamaland, so all bets may be off…

With the cops and politicians agitating so hard, I expect that there will be signs posted in Chicago.

FYI, I have never seen a “no guns” sign in hoplophobic MA.

1. avatar Jeff says:

I have seen a sign like this posted in Washington state though…

1. avatar Ing says:

Sweet! Where in WA is it? If the business is still around, I’d go out of my way to go there.

On a related note, there’s a small bbq place in Moscow, ID, right on the Washington border, that gives a 10% discount to anyone who is visibly carrying a gun. Wish I could remember the name of it…but I know where it is. Next time I’m over there, I know where I’m going to eat.

2. avatar Jus Bill says:

That’s because the MA overlords have made the serfs so fearful that they can’t bear even the sight of a gun pictograph on a Gun Free Zone sign. For the children, of course.

10. avatar Mistereveready says:

Should just make a sign that says “Dear customers/visitors, FOAD!”

That way the message would convey exactly what they wish us to do.

11. avatar Mike in NC says:

I think having a standard sign is a good thing. Here in NC there is little guidance in the statute for signage beyond making it conspicuous. One of the worst examples I have seen on a posted location (a Raleigh mall entrance): A monochrome gun busters symbol less than 2″ across placed on an automatic sliding door in such a way that by the time you get close enough to possibly tell what the prohibited symbol might be the door opens so that the symbol is mostly hidden behind one of the supporting posts for the glass wall.

12. avatar Hannibal says:

So my revolver’s allowed?

1. avatar Maltwit says:

Sure, … as long as it’s not a high capacity, military-style, assault revolver.

13. avatar JPD says:

Back in the day, I had to visit Chicago about 4 times a year on business. Thank God no more required trips to that city full of idiots. Now, I just say, nope, someone else can go. Three cities I will never enter again. Chicago, N.Y., and DC.

14. avatar Kyle says:

At least we have an easy method of determining where not to spend our money.

15. avatar John S. says:

Wish it was a little bigger; so long as we Don’t get Wisconsin’d where they post a single DVD box size sign at the entrance to the mall parking lot

16. avatar Ardent says:

I habitually avoid large cities and in particular those that refuse my natural rights.

I would like to ask though, do these signs have weight of law in IL? Here in Ohio they only mean that if you’re spotted they can ask you to leave, which they could have done in the first place for basically any reason not protected by law (sexual orientation, race, gender, etc.). Basically the signs mean nothing if you’re actually carrying concealed here.

17. avatar Steve says:

Makes me glad Texas has the 30.06 sign that needs 1″ lettering in English AND Spanish, with EXACT wording and punctuation. Miss 1 comma? Not legally binding. Score.

1. avatar Blue says:

Fortunately, in Florida such signs have no legal standing.

18. avatar Lucas D. says:

Aw, why the loophole for private residences, Illinois? If you made it mandatory for gun-free households to post these signs too– why, that would make everyone even safer!

19. avatar MWorrell says:

When I lived in Ohio, there were enough of those signs on business doors to probably dissuade most people from carrying. I did not have a CCL, but I remember thinking it would be a giant pain.

20. avatar jp says:

So this would basically be sign saying ” we don’t want your business.” That’s fine by me. If I see this sign in a store window, I will not be spending my money there.

21. avatar christian says:

If I were Beretta’s legal department, I would sue the pants off of Illinois State Police. Not sure if it would stick, but hell throw everything at them. Copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, whatever. Fire a massive legal FU across their bow for using the silhouette of a 90 series pistol. Hell, Taurus could join the suit.

22. avatar Kenw says:

Question, say I was in one of these gun free zones and a BG proceeds to ignore the sign and shoot people. No one can respond and of course there is no armed security. Does that make the business liable? Better yet does that make whoever made the decision responsible? It does not even need to be a gun, a crazy with a knife surrounded by doves can do a lot of damage too.

1. avatar tdiinva says:

Of course they haven’t made business liable. If they did no one would post these signs since they would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. I would love to see some states pass a statute that said if you ban guns you assume liability for protecting your customers. Now that is the kind of common sense law that even a gun grabber could support.

23. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

I seen similar signs at walmart last weekend and I was very tempted in hiding them all somewhere else in the store, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to soil my hands.

24. avatar Layne says:

Someone should make a sticker that you can slap on over this one that features a human silouette with a holstered gun and two handfuls of cash, with the red cross bar.

25. avatar "lee n. field" says:

Well that’s interesting.

The only “no guns for you sign” I’ve seen up until now has been a 6″ tall x 4″ wide, with a crossed out revolver and “no guns allowed” in text. Non-compliant.

Alas, they’re a customer of mine.

26. avatar SteveInCO says:

Well a bunch of people beat me to it. “No Berettas Allowed” So I can carry my Glock or my CZ-75.

To answer a question, the post says the sign does have the force of law.

27. avatar Jus Bill says:

Just watch the Merryland State Police/Marching and Chowder Society hop right on that sign. It seems every bad idea in the nation eventually finds its way here.

28. avatar Blue says:

People up there need to get business cards with the $ surrounded by a circle and slash and hand it to the a$$-hats.

29. avatar TheYetti says:

That poor 92/M9 can’t catch a break.