Eli Meir: Why I Broke Shabbat to Go to the Alamo Open Carry Rally

I was pleased to run into a fellow member of the tribes in San Antonio at the Open Carry rally. In the video above, Eli Meir mentions the Holocaust when talking about the life-or-death importance of gun rights. Good for him. Good for all us. Despite the unimaginable scale of that slaughter, Jews don’t have a monopoly on suffering; all humans have a history of systematic persecution in their past. Nor do Jews have exclusive rights to the words “never again.” It means the exact same thing to a lot of people, especially those who appreciate the history of the Alamo, where two Jews died defending the mission from the Mexican Army.

comments

1. avatar William Burke says:

You always make it sound as if only Jews have tribes. Try self-identifying as a human being, instead of as a Jew….

1. avatar disthunder says:

And that right there, friend, is why you will always be a tribe of one.

2. avatar ConnorMN says:

*whoosh*

The whole point of the article flew right over your head, didnt it?

nitpick elsewhere

“Despite the unimaginable scale of that slaughter, Jews don’t have a monopoly on suffering; all humans have a history of systematic persecution in their past.”

Excellent article, even though I may not be jewish I applaud Eli Meir for braking shabbat to go to this rally

1. avatar BDub says:

Yes, he did miss the point. Reading comprehension fails us all sometimes.

That being said, tribalism is the abusive drunkard grandfather of nationalism – they are both the cause of and the support mechanism for all kinds of prejudice and injustice. The sooner mankind moves beyond them the better.

3. avatar ThomasR says:

Proud member of the American Tribe. Native born. California to be exact. As district from American Indian.

I should explain that Burke spent 10,000 hours researching the assassination of JFK. He should have stopped at 9,999 and spent the last hour learning how not to be a d1ck.

5. avatar benny says:

the prodigal troll returns…

2. avatar Hinshelworld says:

I believe in every persons right to practice any religion of their choosing.

I also believe equally in my right to think they are all a bunch of antiquated crap.

1. avatar Azman says:

Yes. This. To each their own.

3. avatar cholentPot says:

I am an Orthodox Jew.

I don’t agree with Eli Meir’s statements about breaking Shabbos.

Just stating my view.

4. avatar David says:

Then its not “breaking” shabbat. Life and death matters are instances were normally something that would be forbidden on the sabbath is/are not.

Ultimately it is to your Creator that you must answer. What would He have you do or not do?

1. avatar Hinshelworld says:

You know what I’m gonna tell God when I see him? I’m gonna tell him I was framed.

I’m gonna tell him that it was all George Bush’s fault. Hey, it worked before.

2. avatar jwm says:

Way Of The Gun. Absolute blast(pun intended) of a movie.

1. avatar Hinshelworld says:

Some of the best gun handling on screen.

3. avatar David says:

In utmost humility, Hinshelworld, you will be sorely disappointed to know that God will not accept that answer. You alone are responsible for your actions. Read the Bible to see for yourself what he did for you in the atoning death and resurrection of Jesus.

1. avatar Hinshelworld says:

I don’t think that stuff is real… That was my point

5. avatar Roadrunner says:

To my mind, there’s not a single minority ethnic or religious group that should ever favor being disarmed. That’s suicidal stupidity as the innumerable corpses littering history have shown. As for the Jews in Texas making the point, Shalom y’all.

6. avatar Jus Bill says:

“…where two Jews died defending the mission from the Mexican Army.”
    I learned something new today. Thank you!

7. It’s going to be finish of mine day, however before end I am reading
    this wonderful post to improve my experience.