Cops Probe Salisbury MD Rappers for Music Video Guns

For some strange reason—the first Amendment?—the video above has not [yet] been pulled from YouTube. This despite: “Wicomico County State’s Attorney Matt Maciarello raised concern about the video and said multiple law-enforcement agencies are investigating if any laws were broken. Salisbury [Maryland] TV stations WMDT-47 and WBOC-TV 16 did news reports on those concerns Thursday. County Administrator Wayne Strausburg on Thursday evening also emailed a link to the YouTube video, titled ‘Jungle,’ to The Daily Times. Maciarello on Friday said once law enforcement has knowledge of something like the video, it would be irresponsible not to investigate.” Riiiight. ‘Cause they’s using guns! More specifically (for those who can’t watch the above in their cubicle) . . .

In the video, several people have guns and there are people in ski masks. Some of the rap group’s members are holding stacks of cash at points. Some people are wearing DDE-branded clothing.

The song’s lyrics talk about a robbery. In the chorus are the words, “We hear you got that work, we kickin’ in your front door.”

The state’s attorney said the message in the video is concerning.

“The best indicator of what is in someone’s heart and mind is their conduct,” Maciarello said.

Which makes Wicomico County State’s Attorney Matt Maciarello, what, a philosopher/prosecutor? And where the hell have these people been? If they think this is “dangerous” rap music they haven’t been paying attention to the genre. At all. Ever.

Most of the group members are not old enough to possess firearms legally, Maciarello said.

Ohhhh. So that’s what’s flicking his Bic. Not the N word or the middle finger salutes.

Rap group members told The Daily Times the guns were props.

And who says they aren’t? And why is Maryland a.k.a. “The Free State” bothering with this sh*t anyway? Because the artists broke firearms laws or because someone’s scared of angry/lawless black people with guns? Which is, I think, half the fun of the video.

comments

1. avatar Jeff the Griz says:

Never understood the gangster rap genre but I don’t need to. They can sing what they want and I’ll leave them alone just as I would want to be left alone.

1. avatar Conway Redding says:

Calling what these bruthas are doing “singing,” stretches the meaning of the verb “to sing” way past where it was ever meant to go.

1. avatar TTACer says:

What do you care?

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

True this.

2. avatar Soccerchainsaw says:

I agree Jeff. One of my favorite genre’s of music includes the occasional murder and mind altering substances. If they leave my bluegrass alone they can have their rap.

3. avatar Cliff H says:

And we should THANK THEM for the warning about kicking in the front door if they know you have some cash. Now you can be waiting and ready. Unless you actually live in MD, that is.

2. avatar JaredFromTampa says:

That’s um…a catchy tune. I think I need to go take some Excedrin for the skull crushing migraine that it just induced. Something, something First Amendment…something, something Second Amendment…yeah, whatever RF said.

1. avatar Not So 1337 says:

What Jared is trying to say is that while we feel for the guys being investigated, we also think they shouldn’t quit their day job because their rap is f***ing awful.

Like seriously, no talent and no passion. Like this should be in the dictionary right underneath the word “Generic”.

1. avatar William Burke says:

Yeah, that’s by far the most indolent rap I’ve every crossed paths with. Like Heroin indolent.

Still, they could be the best on the Maryland (or Virginia) Eastern Shore.

3. avatar BlinkyPete says:

These guys aren’t necessarily gangbangers any more than Slayer are nazis or Elton John is an astronaut. MD is dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

1. avatar AndrewQ says:

+1, being a resident

2. avatar Michi says:

Wait… You mean Elton John isn’t an astronaut?

Sigh…

1. avatar LongBeach says:

ASStronaut.

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

I don’t get it. What do you mean?

2. avatar jwm says:

Just cause he can swallow a rocket, doesn’t make him nasa material.

3. avatar BlinkyPete says:

Still not getting it. Could you dumb it down a little for me?

4. avatar B says:

Buttsecks

2. avatar ensitue says:

So Comando Kelly is a REAL Asstronaught, er Space Cadet but Upton John is just a rocket muncher?

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

I’d say you probably have more experience being in outer space than any of them.

3. avatar MojoRonin says:

I <3 Slayer

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

\m/

4. avatar John S. says:

Unless some of the guys on the video are felons, or on probation that prohibits ownership of firearms…where is the crime? Sounds like a fishing expedition so the Police can “seem” like they are “doing something about crime”

1. avatar BlinkyPete says:

This.

2. avatar Russ Bixby says:

There is no law against a felon holding an unloaded or replica gun in the production of a film. They don’t “own” it and it’s no different from someone with no drivers’ license sitting behind the wheel in front of the blue screen or otherwise on private property — so long as it’s discontinuous with public roads.

Further, if shooting on a public street with a permit to do so, there are many suspensions of relevant laws. Noone ever was ticketed for running a light during shooting.

Assuming felon status, “ownership,” real guns et cetera… Pfui!

Too young to legally own? Tell it to any child actor.

Shee-it, mon.

1. avatar Mediocrates says:

The child actor in The Walking Dead series couldn’t even carry an unloaded pistol during filming here in Georgia. They had to manufacture a replica.

3. avatar Bruce L. says:

Just having the gun for a video doesn’t mean you are the owner. Does California check every actor who uses a gun in a movie? I don’t really like the music, I’m still stuck in the 60’s wishing WLS was still playing pop, but I would think the best thing to do is have a lawyer tell them to FOAD.

5. avatar dlj95118 says:

…well, there’s about 2 minutes of my life I’ll never get back. Ugh! One moment…………..ok, better now. Just went and washed out my ears with Extreme’s “Get The Funk Out” reeelly, reeeelly loud.

1. avatar Tom in Oregon says:

I used Ted Nugents “hibernation”

2. avatar Ing says:

Extreme! Now there’s a band I haven’t heard mentioned in a while. Saw a couple of their shows back in the day…man, were they good.

6. avatar DJStuCrew says:

As a DJ, I tend to play a lot of rap music and kinda like some of it. And even though I sympathize with the sentiments expressed in the article, I can’t get past the nasty assault on the ears that this “song” is. Chanting and/or droning is not singing, and this one puts me to sleep. Which is funny, given the high-octane content that is the stuff of many a CSI or Law & Order episode! But we don’t arrest people for making bad music, as much as we’d often like to. But we gotta go after these guys ’cause, you know, guns. Meh.

7. avatar Flubnut says:

I support the 1A, but ouch…the lyrics, the “music”, everything is just awful! Someone please re-animate Tupac STAT…

1. avatar Roll says:

He did come back as a hologram…

8. avatar Keith M says:

The crime here is the assault done to the ears of those who watched it.

1. avatar Steven Walker says:

If someone’s going to get arrested, charge them with criminal use of Auto-Tune.

9. avatar Shire-man says:

So Matt Maciarello finally saw a rap video. Well good for him. He’s only 30 years late to the scene.

10. avatar Michael B. says:

And judging by his conduct, I’m guessing he’s a sadist who enjoys using the power of his position to persecute people who he doesn’t like for his own enjoyment.

Which is worse: the annoying rapper or the sadistic self-righteous narcissist lawyer with the power to make your life a living hell if you displease him or one of the ‘only ones’?

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

Minor Typo, fixed it here: “And judging by his conduct, I’m guessing he’s a sadist who enjoys using the power of his position to persecute people who he doesn’t like for his own employment.”

11. avatar LT says:

Well, like it or not, the KG-9 featured in the video is 100% illegal in Maryland, whether they’re of age or not. If you’re doing something illegal and posting it on the internet, you’re an idiot. Also, there are a lot of idiots in Salisbury…they had a gang war last year between the locals and ‘gangstas’ being pushed out of their Baltimore turf.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

There are many variances granted to those shooting video, either on private property or with a permit on public property. Noone ever was ticketed for running a red if it was in the script.

This is just stoopid.

2. avatar DaveL says:

Unless you’re a TV journalist or a senator, in which case you’re providing a valuable public service.

3. avatar Layne says:

There’s no evidence that it’s a real gun, and I didn’t bother to even check if there’s irrefutable evidence that it was filmed in Maryland. Unless one of them is a suspect in a crime that may have involved a KG-9, police have no business looking at this video other than for laughs.

12. avatar dwb says:

Maryland is only the “Free State” for the criminals, who also happen to run the jails {and Annapolis}. The rest of us have to pay taxes and suffer loads of paperwork and harassment to support them.

13. avatar Jus Bill says:

“If they think this is “dangerous” rap music they haven’t been paying attention to the genre. At all. Ever.”

Yup, that’s about right for the Eastern Shore (except for Ocean City) of the “Formerly Free State.” Solidly planted in 1840, and still upset over the draft riots in New York and the Union Army marching through Baltimore.

Oh, the liberals are now calling us “The Old Line State.” I guess in response to the nullification of the Constitution here. Francis Scott Key is weeping in his grave.

1. avatar Russ Bixby says:

O say, can you see,
      Through the cold, moonless night…

O’er the land of the defea-
      ted and ignorant slave.

14. avatar Ed Rogers says:

I think that RF needs to share whatever kickback he got from the group, with his readers. After all, our ears were assaulted. He probably promoted the video better than any agent could…

I’d rather shave my eyeballs with a dull Bic than listen to most rap and hip-hop “music.” Buuuut, the fools who made this viddy have rights and I respect them. The rights, I mean. The doods, not too much. They are low-grade morons. The State’s Attorney, on the other hand, is a total AH, so I respect him not at all.

16. avatar cdotson says:

Ah, my old hometown. SO glad I escaped that place, and Maryland in general. Virginia is a much More Free state in which to reside.

But yeah, the “Smallsbury” officials are demonstrably clueless on an epic level. Always have been and they aren’t likely to change because honestly nothing around there ever does.

17. avatar Jim Jones says:

These fools clearly haven’t seen any of Chief Keef’s videos or any of the related GBE/OTF videos:

These under-21 Chicago “Chiraq” boys are obsessed with possessing a 30, which in their vurnacular is a large capacity handgun magazine.

18. avatar Powers says:

If I made a video wearing a ski mask, waving guns around talking about what “work” I need to do I wonder if anyone would pay me? I need some thugs..who wants to be my gang? This can hopefully fund some purchases! Who wants to become famous with me?

1. avatar sagebrushracer says:

Famous like OJ Simpson? Pass…….

19. avatar TheSleeperHasAwakened says:

Who’s leading this investigation of Blacks possessing firearms…Sarah “Vagina” Silverman?

20. avatar David says:

Seriously . . . It has been a long time, and I mean a long time, since I have been this tempted to make a politically incorrect comment 🙂

21. avatar BDub says:

“The best indicator of what is in someone’s heart and mind is their conduct,”

Heh, the same could be said for the States Attorney’s Office, now couldn’t it?

I wonder, does every rapper that appears in a video with cash and a gun merit an investigation? No wonder we don’t have time to catch rapists – wait maybe the DA has conflated rap-artists with rapists, is English his second language?

22. avatar Lovin' the South says:

While the (lack of) cultural values reflected in this nonsense is demonstrative of the self-inflicted wound from which we black Americans suffer, the response by the MD authoritarian statists is demonstrative of the roots of gun control hysteria, namely good old-fashioned Jim Crow racism.

23. avatar cubby123 says:

These guys are punks gang banger wantabes. They send a message to the other punks watching this garbage that it’s cool to have and wave guns around,sorry guys but I’m with the Attorney General on this one.Those are probably NOT props and these idiots are most likely involved in crime ,they sure portray it well
    Like I always said,just my personal opinion,that’s all,the answer to idiots like this is ‘Thompson sub machinegun ,two 100 round drums.
    Glad I don’t live around CRAP like that.
    If you want to put MAYORS AGAINST ILLEGAL GUNS and MOM’S DEMAND ACTION to good use,send them after these scumbags!

24. avatar BeninMA says:

He seems think that every song documents real world events. I’ll bet he’s still on the hunt for “A Boy Named Sue.”

25. avatar new jenkins says:

Can somebody do a mash up video and splice in some video clips of Martin Luther King Jr……..because i’m pretty sure this is why he died on a balcony……for this.

26. avatar Excedrine says:

PULL UP YOUR PANTS.

That is all.

27. avatar Tray Savage says:

#ddeshit east side

28. avatar Alicen says:

So what is everyone going to say now about it one gang member rape a girl in school and I hope he gets his ass beat while he’s in jail people have to be in a gang now to be a bad ass smh he will be meeting real gangs in prison!